• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cancer fund only sent 1 cent of every $1 to patients, lawsuit alleges

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
🤯 :mad:🤬

"The Women's Cancer Fund raised $18.3 million by vowing to help patients, telling donors that their money would help pay the living expenses of women going through treatment for the disease. But a new lawsuit from the FTC and 10 states allege that the bulk of the money instead went to pay the charity's president and for-profit fundraisers.

The lawsuit, filed on March 11 in federal court, alleges that the Women's Cancer Fund raised the money from 2017 to 2022 by making deceptive and misleading claims. In reality, the bulk of the donations went to the $775,139 salary of the charity's president, Gregory Anderson, and to pay for-profit fundraisers $15.55 million, as well as overhead expenses, the lawsuit alleges."

Sham' charity stole $18MILLION from donors who thought they were giving  money to help women undergo cancer treatment | Daily Mail Online

I have done business with non profits for many years.
It has always bothered me that they are rarely interested in ways to save money.
But they are always interested in ways to spend money.
And the larger the organization is - the more it is true.
Small, local charities are usually very thrift and careful with how much stuff cost.
Large, especially national non profits... let it rain money.

It’s troubling when the CEO of a charity makes more than the POTUS.

I don't have a problem with it if there's a justification for it. Some charities have large operations, and really, the POTUS doesn't get paid that much relative to the budget he handles and the vastness of the bureaucracy he's responsible for. But it seems that he's using the funds to enrich himself.

I have done business with non profits for many years.
It has always bothered me that they are rarely interested in ways to save money.
But they are always interested in ways to spend money.
And the larger the organization is - the more it is true.
Small, local charities are usually very thrift and careful with how much stuff cost.
Large, especially national non profits... let it rain money.

They have to spend money. The question is whether they are spending money according to their by-laws and their stated mission. If not, that's a good way to lose tax-exempt status and owe a shit-ton of back taxes to the IRS and state tax authorities, and get hit with civil and criminal fraud or misappropriation charges.

I don't have a problem with it if there's a justification for it. Some charities have large operations, and really, the POTUS doesn't get paid that much relative to the budget he handles and the vastness of the bureaucracy he's responsible for. But it seems that he's using the funds to enrich himself.

Rest assured that in large organizations there is much more administrative overhead than the CEO.

Rest assured that in large organizations there is much more administrative overhead than the CEO.

Yeah this just seems grossly out of proportion. This almost screams for a criminal investigation.

They have to spend money. The question is whether they are spending money according to their by-laws and their stated mission. If not, that's a good way to lose tax-exempt status and owe a shit-ton of back taxes to the IRS and state tax authorities, and get hit with civil and criminal fraud or misappropriation charges.
Everyone "has to spend money".
But when you are hungry, you don't have to go to a 5 star restaurant.
Like I said, I have provided products/services to non profits for several decades. They overwhelmingly choose high end choices, and will always side on the side ov over producing then under producing.

guys. chill. it wasn't Eric.

"The Women's Cancer Fund raised $18.3 million by vowing to help patients, telling donors that their money would help pay the living expenses of women going through treatment for the disease. But a new lawsuit from the FTC and 10 states allege that the bulk of the money instead went to pay the charity's president and for-profit fundraisers.

The lawsuit, filed on March 11 in federal court, alleges that the Women's Cancer Fund raised the money from 2017 to 2022 by making deceptive and misleading claims. In reality, the bulk of the donations went to the $775,139 salary of the charity's president, Gregory Anderson, and to pay for-profit fundraisers $15.55 million, as well as overhead expenses, the lawsuit alleges."

Sham' charity stole $18MILLION from donors who thought they were giving  money to help women undergo cancer treatment | Daily Mail Online' charity stole $18MILLION from donors who thought they were giving  money to help women undergo cancer treatment | Daily Mail Online

DId the for profit fundraisers make money? IF so where is it.

Wouldn't be the first time a charity spend far too much on other things and not the people the charity were intended for.

Sham' charity stole $18MILLION from donors who thought they were giving  money to help women undergo cancer treatment | Daily Mail Online' charity stole $18MILLION from donors who thought they were giving  money to help women undergo cancer treatment | Daily Mail Online

Somehow I am not surprised. There are many cancer charities that are scams. Susan G. Komen is one of the worst.

The only non government organizations that spend more money than large charities is colleges.

Spending money is not near the issue as *where* they spend money. The point of the thread.

Read the story and tell us all why 1% is an acceptable level of contribution to the one and only mission the charity claims they are there for.

Spending money is not near the issue as *where* they spend money. The point of the thread.

Read the story and tell us all why 1% is an acceptable level of contribution to the one and only mission the charity claims they are there for.
I am not sure what you are reading into my posts, but it is way off the mark.
What in God's name did I say that would lead you to believe that I would think this charity is responsible?
I haven't given one red cent to any large charity in decades, and I would advise everyone not to.
Especially the largest one you can think of, which is nothing more than a collection agency that takes a significant portion of donated amounts to finance themselves. Including fantastic wages and perks.
Give locally. Give direct.
Always.

I am not sure what you are reading into my posts, but it is way off the mark.
What in God's name did I say that would lead you to believe that I would think this charity is responsible?
I haven't given one red cent to any large charity in decades, and I would advise everyone not to.
Especially the largest one you can think of, which is nothing more than a collection agency that takes a significant portion of donated amounts to finance themselves. Including fantastic wages and perks.
Give locally. Give direct.
Always.

My humble apologies.

What a POS. Despicable.

It's not acceptable. Either they are crooks or incompetent. I understand even non profit charities need workers and although they may get some volunteers, they need staff. The staff shouldn't be getting the lions share. Fundraising events are raising funds if they spend the money and don't get a better return on the spending.

Wow! The suit is filed by the FTC and a bunch of states. This has real credibility. These scam artists and grifters make people reluctant to donate to any charity.

Back
Top Bottom