• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can you make a child gay?

Once again, the census is an invalid source if you're trying to ascertain the number of homosexuals in this country. Let alone the world. Nice try though.

Yahoo Answers is your source? LOL

Try again.

All the studies listed are valid. Try again.

Btw, since you claim 1%, lets see YOUR data. And don't try using the Census. EVERYONE knows that it is an incomplete data set, since it never asked about sexual orientation, on about co-habitation.

LOL 1% is the real figure, proven by analyzing the largest data set ever in a study of queers. No matter how much you wish it weren't true.

LOL 1% is the real figure, proven by analyzing the largest data set ever in a study of queers. No matter how much you wish it weren't true.

Not true without links substantiating.

And no matter how you wish it WAS true, REAL data supportst the 5%-8% figure.

I'll wait for your evidence. And remember... without it, your position is false.

The Scientific method: "Here are the facts about homosexuality, now what conclusions can we draw from them?"

---

The Fundamentalist method: "We know being gay is bad, now what evidence can we find to support this conclusion?"

CA230_1Trever.gif

Yes. You just can't make all children gay. Most people are bi-sexual to a degree by nature. Raising a kid to be very open about sexuality and sexual choices, to not distinguish harshly between gay or straight, encourage experimention, to normalize the experience of gay sex and relationships could "make" a child gay. But maybe not someone who's nature is strongly heterosexal.

Most people are bi-sexual to a degree by nature.

Bisexual: a person sexually responsive to both sexes
There is no "to a degree". That's just something you threw in there to justify a radical assertion without citing a source.

Raising a kid to be very open about sexuality and sexual choices, to not distinguish harshly between gay or straight

Here's where I think we go wrong. Rather than putting a huge focus on acceptance and normalization of gays, why don't we simply integrate them as if they are no different from the heterosexuals? Placing unnecessary attention on them only ostracizes and denormalizes them.

encourage experimention

Why would you push your kid to do anything like that?

to normalize the experience of gay sex and relationships could "make" a child gay.

Lets see the study you plucked this conclusion from. And what side are you on, exactly?

But maybe not someone who's nature is strongly heterosexal.

You're either straight, bi, or gay. Whether or not you want to admit it to yourself is a whole different issue.

There is no "to a degree". That's just something you threw in there to justify a radical assertion without citing a source.

Here's where I think we go wrong. Rather than putting a huge focus on acceptance and normalization of gays, why don't we simply integrate them as if they are no different from the heterosexuals? Placing unnecessary attention on them only ostracizes and denormalizes them.

Lets see the study you plucked this conclusion from. And what side are you on, exactly?

You're either straight, bi, or gay. Whether or not you want to admit it to yourself is a whole different issue.

Of course there is a to a degree otherwise you wouldn't have bisexuality at all or sexual expermination. It is nuts to say no man or woman you want to say is straight ever have thoughts about homosexuality. We know they do. We also know people experiment without living as a bisexual. Do you want to call a women who has sex with her friend a few times in college bisexual?

Are you agreeing with me on you second comment?

No, you would not push your kid into that. I was just answering the question of the thread as to how you would theoretically "make" someone gay. It doesn't seem to far fetched that someone could believe that though.

I am on the side of the truth and reality. I think we know if you repress homosexuality rather than teaching complete acceptance of it people are less likely to embrace it and act on those desires. There have been men and women who by most measures you would lable as gay who in the "old days" repressed their sexualities and married, had children and were wonderful mothers and fathers. They all didn't commit suicide because they repressed those desires. They all weren't unhappy and unfullfilled. I am not one to believe that the way you have sex is the most important thing in your life. However, we are normalizing sexuality of all types which I am not saying is bad but really makes a difference in the choices you make.

Of course you are not just straight, gay or bi or there would be no bi in the equation. Do you really think there is only one level at which we have an attraction? Are you going to label the women who had a sex a few times with a roommate in college an no other time as bi or stratight? Do you think that someone who has only ever had straight sex but had thoughts about gay sex is uncommon? I think it is amusing how strictly defined even gay groups want to be about sexuality so they can be indentified politically. The idea that there is absolutely no choice in the matter of sexuality is preposterous in my opinion. At the same time for some people the attraction is so strong one way or another there is in affect no choice for them.

It's not quite that cut and dried. There ARE varying degrees of sexuality.

As early as Kinsey, we saw a dramatic variation with his scale. Modern sexologists admit that Kinsey's scale of sexuality is even too simplistic, that it gets even more complicated than that.

Now we have the Klien Sexual Orientation Grid

pp0_pe17_qp6_qe21_ip6_ie17.png

I took the test at the link to demonstrate. Sexuality is rarely cut and dried.

That sounds like six of one half-dozen of the other. Acceptance and normalization IS the same thing as integrating them into our society.

I cant answer for the person this question was directed at but I agree with their sentiment. For me personally, I'd rather my child experiment and find a way of living that was most conducive to their mental and physical well-being and I want them to find out what that is.

It's something I wish I'd done a little more when I was younger. I've been engaged for a while and about 2 years into the relationship, I found out I was polyamorous and it caused a lot of problems, it still does. They aren't insurmountable problems, but problems just the same.

Again, sexuality is not like a fan; it doesnt have a number of settings and it can only be those settings. There is a wide range that sexuality can fall into depending on the individual.

Back
Top Bottom