• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can you be saved by faith alone?

phattonez

Catholic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Or is Caritas (love) also required? Let's ask St. Augustine.

Attachments

• m5nxf0.jpg
    m5nxf0.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 13
I like Paul's words...

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a clanging gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and understand all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I do not benefit at all." 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

I like Paul's words...

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a clanging gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and understand all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I do not benefit at all." 1 Corinthians 13:1-3
The love of God is God. The Holy Spirit is the love of God.

The Holy Spirit is God.

Good deeds are important.
We must abide in His love. We cannot purchase salvation by our works, but we are saved by remaining in the love of God. "He who perseveres to the end will be saved."

We must abide in His love. We cannot purchase salvation by our works, but we are saved by remaining in the love of God. "He who perseveres to the end will be saved."
A lot of words, little meaning. The Bible calls for good deeds.

A lot of words, little meaning. The Bible calls for good deeds.
Indeed it does, yet we cannot merit salvation by our deeds.

What is salvation? Why do we need it?
Salvation is eternal life. Lack of salvation is separation from God for eternity.

Salvation is eternal life. Lack of salvation is separation from God for eternity.

Assuming for the moment that that's true, what other than the threat of Hell is there convince someone to get stuck with God forever?

Assuming for the moment that that's true, what other than the threat of Hell is there convince someone to get stuck with God forever?
God is the end for which we were created. He is our joy. He is the fulfillment of all desire.

Thus the opposite is obvious. An eternity of hatred, anger, and frustration of our desires.

God is the end for which we were created. He is our joy. He is the fulfillment of all desire.

That's your view. If it works for you, so be it.

Billions of people are perfectly capable of living a joyful life without your religion. :)

Thus the opposite is obvious. An eternity of hatred, anger, and frustration of our desires.

Actually your religion wants to suppress our desires, not encourage them.

That's your view. If it works for you, so be it.

Billions of people are perfectly capable of living a joyful life without your religion. :)

Actually your religion wants to suppress our desires, not encourage them.
Disordered desires are not a fulfillment of the end for which we are created and ultimately breed sadness and resentment, along with a host of mental and physical disorders. These aren't coincidences.

The love of God is God. The Holy Spirit is the love of God.

The Holy Spirit is God.
That has absolutely nothing to do with what Paul said...

Salvation cannot be purchased...salvation is a free gift from God...it cannot be earned...

"By this undeserved kindness you have been saved through faith, and this is not of your own doing; rather, it is God’s gift." Ephesians 2:8

That has absolutely nothing to do with what Paul said...
Yes it does. He is describing love. He is describing the Holy Spirit. St. Paul also says "God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."

That love of God IS THE HOLY SPIRIT. And since God is love, the Holy Spirit is God.

As St. John says "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

It is the Holy Spirit that is poured into our hearts. How does God abide in us? By the Holy Sprit, which is His love. But since God is love, this must mean that the Holy Spirit is God.

Yes it does. He is describing love. He is describing the Holy Spirit. St. Paul also says "God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."

That love of God IS THE HOLY SPIRIT. And since God is love, the Holy Spirit is God.

As St. John says "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

It is the Holy Spirit that is poured into our hearts. How does God abide in us? By the Holy Sprit, which is His love. But since God is love, this must mean that the Holy Spirit is God.
No, he is not...what he is saying is that all his good works in the world mean nothing if he does not have love for those whom he is helping...

Salvation cannot be purchased...salvation is a free gift from God...it cannot be earned...

"By this undeserved kindness you have been saved through faith, and this is not of your own doing; rather, it is God’s gift." Ephesians 2:8
Can't a gift be earned? Just because God is so merciful that He rewards you, does not mean you cannot or should not deserve it.

Can't a gift be earned? Just because God is so merciful that He rewards you, does not mean you cannot or should not deserve it.
Earned, no...show appreciation for, yes...

We deserve it through the blood of Jesus. He paid the price so we can receive the gift. We have to believe that God raised him from the dead and made him the Lord of life.

No, he is not...what he is saying is that all his good works in the world mean nothing if he does not have love for those whom he is helping...
And that love is God. That love is the Holy Spirit. "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God— not because of works, lest any man should boast."

We deserve it through the blood of Jesus. He paid the price so we can receive the gift. We have to believe that God raised him from the dead and made him the Lord of life.
Oh we must do more than that. Even the demons believe that.

Back
Top Bottom