• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can Texas go blue?

What active measures to suppress the vote? If you mean only legal US citizens are allowed voting rights then we both know you are telling porky ****ing fibs

So why does Donald Trump tell us Florida is different?

Who can register for an absentee ballot is Texas for starters?

Texas absentee ballot rules

You may vote by absentee ballot in Texas if:
you are 65 years or older;
you are disabled;
you will be out of the county on Election Day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
you are confined in jail, but otherwise eligible, or certified for participation in the address confidentiality program.

I think that would signal the beginning of the end of the GOP. That's their California; it's vital for them. Uncertainty about which color Texas could turn in any given election really changes the game I think.

as of today, Trump is up by .7% and that is now 7 weeks where it has been touch and go with both Biden and Trump switching leads by 1% or less. Meaning that it is touch and go. Here is the polling chart that measures every day the changes.

I think that would signal the beginning of the end of the GOP. That's their California; it's vital for them. Uncertainty about which color Texas could turn in any given election really changes the game I think.
As others have said, it will not happen in 2020. Texas is a law and order state and Democrats have abandoned that issue to the Republicans.

Did someone say BlueTex? :2razz: Possibly but not likely this year... Way too many ways Texas suppresses the vote... If we had no excuse absentee voting the probability would increase...
This is a dog whistle for opposing one person = one vote.

What active measures to suppress the vote? If you mean only legal US citizens are allowed voting rights then we both know you are telling porky ****ing fibs
There is a major fight just to get dead people removed from the roles. It is normal for people who have moved out of state to get registration cards.

Who can register for an absentee ballot is Texas for starters?
Since you ask:

you are disabled;
you will be out of the county on Election Day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
you are confined in jail, but otherwise eligible, or certified for participation in the address confidentiality program.​

you are disabled;
you are confined in jail, but otherwise eligible, or certified for participation in the address confidentiality program.

Yeup, that is It, they tried expanding it due to the Pandemic but the Cons fought it in the courts and won so nearly every one will vote in person, wont change anything but it does show how far Repubs are willing to go to slant an election hoping it will help them. It will be close but I don't think Texas goes Blue this year, in two years, very likely.

you are disabled;

So the 30 year old high risk voter is just screwed? Correct? Those who have active cases of COVID, should they go vote in person?

Last edited:
As others have said, it will not happen in 2020. Texas is a law and order state and Democrats have abandoned that issue to the Republicans.

It's funny to see voter suppression labeled as "law and order"...

This is a dog whistle for opposing one person = one vote.

I don't oppose one person = one vote at all...

It's easier to buy a rifle in Texas than it is to vote...

There is a major fight just to get dead people removed from the roles. It is normal for people who have moved out of state to get registration cards.

Are you saying the GOP which has been in control in Texas for two decades is incompetent at administers the voter rolls? Maybe we have found some common ground..

Since you ask:

you are disabled;
you are confined in jail, but otherwise eligible, or certified for participation in the address confidentiality program.​

What is the state's interest in limiting absentee voting to these categories only?

Don’t know, do they? Why are Democrats always accused of voter fraud, ballot harvesting, illegals voting and the dead voting?

The same reason the Spanish Flu ended WW2.

It's funny to see voter suppression labeled as "law and order"...
That's because you are reading in something that is not there.

I don't oppose one person = one vote at all...
Good. Then you don't oppose use of photo ID's.

It's easier to buy a rifle in Texas than it is to vote...
I have never bought a rifle, but getting registered to vote was a simple as filling out a form and showing ID.

Are you saying the GOP which has been in control in Texas for two decades is incompetent at administers the voter rolls? Maybe we have found some common ground.
When I moved to Texas, it was a Democrat state, with a female Democrat Governor. I had a Democrat for a Representative and a Democratic Senator, Loyd Bentsen, both of whom I voted to reelect. GHW Bush was President. The Democratic party left Texas, not the other way around.

What is the state's interest in limiting absentee voting to these categories only?
I support in person voting whenever possible. It makes it far more difficult to cheat.

That's because you are reading in something that is not there.

Good. Then you don't oppose use of photo ID's.

I have never bought a rifle, but getting registered to vote was a simple as filling out a form and showing ID.

Can you register online? How will someone who is supposed be in quarantine vote on Nov 3rd?

Did someone say BlueTex? :2razz:

Possibly but not likely this year... Way too many ways Texas suppresses the vote... If we had no excuse absentee voting the probability would increase...

Agree, it will eventually. Every 30 seconds a latino becomes voter eligible and 2 old white people die.

Can you register online? How will someone who is supposed be in quarantine vote on Nov 3rd?
Anyone over 65 can already vote by mail and anyone quarantined qualifies as infirm. That leaves very few exceptions. Why do you focus on such a small group?

Anyone over 65 can already vote by mail and anyone quarantined qualifies as infirm. That leaves very few exceptions. Why do you focus on such a small group?

There are thousands of voters in Texas who will be under doctors orders to quarantine because of COVID and thousands more who are high risk if they contract COVID. That's not a small group at all..

What is the rationale for limiting this to voters over 65?

There are thousands of voters in Texas who will be under doctors orders to quarantine because of COVID and thousands more who are high risk if they contract COVID. That's not a small group at all..What is the rationale for limiting this to voters over 65?
It isn't restricted to those over 65. Those under doctors orders to quarantine are also eligible. What is left is a small group. Your imagination is what makes it large.

This reminds me of a local girl who wants to participate in dance practices at school, but not attend class. If she can do one, she can do both.

they wouldn't have to worry about it if we counted up votes for the Presidential election LIKE WE DO EVERY OTHER ELECTION.

Republicans often brag that people are moving to Texas from blue states like California. As if the redistribution of wasted Dem votes from safely blue enclaves to formerly red states isn't great news.

they wouldn't have to worry about it if we counted up votes for the Presidential election LIKE WE DO EVERY OTHER ELECTION.

Given that the GOP's presidential candidate has received the most votes only once in the last thirty years, they would have a whole other set of worries if presidential elections ran like every other election in the country.

In a way, I feel sorry for Trump supporters. It’s almost as if they feel that their country, their whole way of life, their very cultural identity, is under siege. No wonder there is this feeling of visceral fear and anger, and why they seem so irrational at times. It’s almost like they’re telling the rest of us “if we are going down, we’re going to take the whole country down with us”. I can only imagine what that feels like. If there was someway to reassure them that this is not what they think. They will be fine.

It isn't restricted to those over 65. Those under doctors orders to quarantine are also eligible. What is left is a small group. Your imagination is what makes it large.

This reminds me of a local girl who wants to participate in dance practices at school, but not attend class. If she can do one, she can do both.

As long as you apply 11 days before the election... That's the whole basis of this lawsuit...

https://static.texastribune.org/med...7c2f2ef8dd28b6e827/FINAL -- EMERGENCY TRO.pdf

Again, why do I or anyone else need to justify why I want to vote by mail in Texas?

'It's Ridiculous': States Struggle To Accommodate COVID-19 Positive Voters | WAMU

As long as you apply 11 days before the election... That's the whole basis of this lawsuit...
https://static.texastribune.org/med...7c2f2ef8dd28b6e827/FINAL -- EMERGENCY TRO.pdf
Again, why do I or anyone else need to justify why I want to vote by mail in Texas?
Because you asked for the job. If you want a change, the burden is on you to justify the change, which you have not even attempted to do. Opposed to that, you have major issues with insuring one person = one vote, which you have also failed to address.

No one said things would be easy. However, anyone who can shop can vote in person.

Because you asked for the job. If you want a change, the burden is on you to justify the change, which you have not even attempted to do. Opposed to that, you have major issues with insuring one person = one vote, which you have also failed to address.

Asked for the job? Voting is a right and it's being denied for specious reasons. Again, what rationale is there to prohibit anyone in Texas from voting by absentee ballot?

No one said things would be easy. However, anyone who can shop can vote in person.

Voting should be easy. There is no justifiable reason to make it difficult.

Asked for the job? Voting is a right and it's being denied for specious reasons.
It's not being denied. That is the first thing you would need to prove and you have not.

Again, what rationale is there to prohibit anyone in Texas from voting by absentee ballot?
The rule of law.

Voting should be easy. There is no justifiable reason to make it difficult.
I am not sure I agree. At the least, have some formalities appropriate to the seriousness of the event.

If you want to change the law, then there is a procedure to follow. That's on you.

Did someone say BlueTex? :2razz:

Possibly but not likely this year... Way too many ways Texas suppresses the vote... If we had no excuse absentee voting the probability would increase...

How would no excuse absentee voting change anything? All you have to do now is check you will be out of the county during voting hours.

So the 30 year old high risk voter is just screwed? Correct? Those who have active cases of COVID, should they go vote in person?

Don’t know, why not line up with a mask on and keep a 2 meter spacing. If you mean sick people, perhaps a medical certificate for exemption... others too lazy to vote, well don’t vote.

Back
Top Bottom