• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cameron takes over as new British PM

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Conservative leader, seen here with his wife outside No. 10 Downing St., takes over after Gordon Brown resigns, ending 13 years of rule by the center-left Labour Party. Full story

Is this a good thing?

I'll let you know once we find out details of Camerons government - it's looking to be far from the conservative whitewash that Cameron was hoping for, with 5 Cabinet seats reserved for Liberal Democrat members.

I think the deal between the Lib-Dems and the conservatives will only last until the election deal pledges have been fulfilled such as electoral reform and various other contingincies, then the tories and Lib Dems will have nothing more to agree on and fall out.

I just cant wait to see Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg answer questions during PMQs when Cameron is away. It'll definately be different from when he was the Third Party Leader being heckled from all sides :2razz: People will actually have to listen to him!

I think the deal between the Lib-Dems and the conservatives will only last until the election deal pledges have been fulfilled such as electoral reform and various other contingincies, then the tories and Lib Dems will have nothing more to agree on and fall out.

I think that if the LibDems break off with the Tories too quickly it could damage them. I think that they're in it for the long run. If another general election is called too soon the country could punish the opposition parties and give the Tories an overall majority.

Conservative leader, seen here with his wife outside No. 10 Downing St., takes over after Gordon Brown resigns, ending 13 years of rule by the center-left Labour Party. Full story

Is this a good thing?

I don't know yet.

As an EU supporter I have many doubts about the Tories.

Let's see what happens next.

Is this a good thing?

At the moment no one can answer your question completely.

Some will believe that Brown should have fought more for a Lib/lab pact.
Others will say that a Lib/Con pact can never really work.

My take is, if both party's and their respective leaders are pragmatic, the UK may well end up in a more fortunate position than it would were Brown to have continued his dictatorship.

David Cameron faces knife crime, alcoholism, an out of touch political class and a wide array of failing public services; from the NHS to plain old protect and serve coppers. Against that pleasant backdrop are self-alienated immigrants, a rising tide of British nationalism, a bickering fragile relationship with an increasingly bickering and fragile EU. The future hardly looks better. The next generation is apathetic, uneducated and largely concerned with getting the same outrageous benefits their fathers did. To top it all off there's "The Debt" (if anything deserves to be a special noun, The Debt does), an uneasy alliance with a party stealing ideas from the 1960s and a twin set of uncertain deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that what happens to Cameron will be, unquestionably, bad. Labour's long list of problems it never fixed during the 16 years it was in power are all, quite suddenly, rearing their ugly heads at once. Unlucky for Cameron, he won't have the ability to be preemptive; a priviliege extended to both Gordon and Blair. Instead he'll be trying to apply bandades without a parliament majority with the dual albatrosses of the Liberal Democrats and Labour fear mongering.

EDIT: Oh, and the financial crisis. Can't forget that Mt. Everest.

Last edited:
Cameron is screwed no matter what.

He is another unelected Prime Minister (cant wait for the opposition to use that).

He cant use traditional conservative policies since they pretty much put the UK and the world in the hole they are in. He cant cut the NHS or other public services too badly without screwing his reelection chances. There is nothing to privatize really, and I doubt he would want to give more power to local government since he does not control that. As making government more efficient... what does that exactly mean these days. Government today is far more efficient that it was when Labour took over, so does he want to go back to the Thatcher years of miss management? Like it or not he is no more change than Obama is in the US on so many fronts. At least he is young and that is a change I guess...

Cleaning up politics.. suree.... that is like asking the drunk to clean out the booze cabinet. The media protected the Conservatives during the expenses scandal as it was them that had the most outrageous claims and were most arrogant. I mean the guy who wanted money for a duck house refused to apologize lol.

He cant even mention the word "Europe" as it could easily make the coalition fail. And forget a referendum about Europe, he aint that stupid. He knows very well that the UKs future is in Europe and not outside. And that will piss of the radical fringe of his party.

And he has to at least attempt to push through voting reform, that would make his party loose seats.

And in all this he has to deal with his own party, which like it or not is still full with good old "bad" type of conservatives that people voted out in 1997.

As for the British Nationalists.. they usually fade away when a conservative government is in power as I understand it. But we shall see.

David Cameron faces knife crime, alcoholism, an out of touch political class and a wide array of failing public services; from the NHS to plain old protect and serve coppers. Against that pleasant backdrop are self-alienated immigrants, a rising tide of British nationalism, a bickering fragile relationship with an increasingly bickering and fragile EU. The future hardly looks better. The next generation is apathetic, uneducated and largely concerned with getting the same outrageous benefits their fathers did. To top it all off there's "The Debt" (if anything deserves to be a special noun, The Debt does), an uneasy alliance with a party stealing ideas from the 1960s and a twin set of uncertain deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that what happens to Cameron will be, unquestionably, bad. Labour's long list of problems it never fixed during the 16 years it was in power are all, quite suddenly, rearing their ugly heads at once. Unlucky for Cameron, he won't have the ability to be preemptive; a priviliege extended to both Gordon and Blair. Instead he'll be trying to apply bandades without a parliament majority with the dual albatrosses of the Liberal Democrats and Labour fear mongering.

EDIT: Oh, and the financial crisis. Can't forget that Mt. Everest.

And, on the bright side? :lol:

Paul

I think it's a good thing simply because this is the only viable coalition. They could also take weeks or even months, that would certainly not be beneficial to the UK. It will be interesting to see if both parties are able to work together on key isseus.

He cant even mention the word "Europe" as it could easily make the coalition fail.

He couldnt mention it even if he had an overall majority :2razz: The Tory Party really is split down the middle on that issue.

he has to at least attempt to push through voting reform, that would make his party lose seats.

Well, he has to vote on a referendum to be put to the 'people' on voting reform to AV. Its hardly a huge concession. The Conservative Party will still campagin against the AV electoral reform.

As for the British Nationalists.. they usually fade away when a conservative government is in power as I understand it. But we shall see.

Talking about the BNP? They've hardly ever been very strong anyway. I mean, fair enough they have 2 seats in Brussels, but who hasnt?

Back
Top Bottom