• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California has $73 billion budget surplus

Moot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
California has a $76 billion surplus and Republicans say progressive policies don't work. How ya doin Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc?

It's good to be in the Golden State!
"California, buoyed by high-earning technology and professional sectors that shifted to at-home work during the pandemic, will recover somewhat faster than the U.S., even though a full rebound in the tourist-dependent leisure and hospitality businesses will lag."

Of course, what is poor Gavin to do? Being in the middle of a recall? Bribe the plebs!

California has a $76 billion surplus and Republicans say progressive policies don't work. How ya doin Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc?

To be fair, Georgia has a surplus too. https://www.ajc.com/politics/a-year...ons-up-25-billion/W6UQE2DM35DFBPX5Q64ZB5CNKA/

But to the OP's point, the never-ending prognostications that California's budget would collapse have gone up in smoke. Again.

Of course, what is poor Gavin to do? Being in the middle of a recall? Bribe the plebs!

Steal from the haves; (stock market capital gains tax in) to give to the have-nots via bribes; stimulus out.

While there is indeed a huge homelessness problem (there are at least half a dozen tent camps within a couple of miles of where I live, in all directions) and we continue to deal with drought and forest fires, in most other aspects California is doing fine in terms of economy, COVID, etc. The heat wave is rough but that just means a bit more beach time. I'm quite happy with how the state is managing itself. I'd like to see a decent amount of that surplus invested into creating options for more affordable housing--in particular, faster public transportation so people can work in some of these high-cost-of-living areas and not have to put up with 2+ hour commutes because they can't afford to live near where they work.

It's in the CA constitution that when the surplus reaches a certain mark, the overage has to be returned to the taxpayers. I think the surplus was about $16 billion over that mark.

But the Trumpists promised me that it was a poopy hellhole full of ANTIFA, needles, and homeless people! They wouldn't lie.

Would they?
Yes they would...
1623866973789.png

It's in the CA constitution that when the surplus hits a certain mark, the overage has to be returned to the taxpayers. I think the surplus was about $16 billion over that mark.
I think I remember something of the sort. Of course, being $16 billion over that mark and now deciding to fulfill his obligation only confirms my suspicions..

Steal from the haves; (stock market capital gains tax in) to give to the have-nots via bribes; stimulus out.
Unless the haves in question make a campaign donation, then they're exempt from the thievery.

I think I remember something of the sort. Of course, being $16 billion over that mark and now deciding to fulfill his obligation only confirms my suspicions..
What are you talking about? Everything below the surplus mark is obligated as per the CA constitution.

What are you talking about? Everything below the surplus mark is obligated as per the CA constitution.
You said, or I read what you said to mean that the quota was met and then there was an additional sum. That additional sum didn't just manifest in a day? It came rolling in, therefore (oh wonderful therefore!) that means he's been sitting on it.

You said, or I read what you said to mean that the quota was met and then there was an additional sum. That additional sum didn't just manifest in a day? It came rolling in, therefore (oh wonderful therefore!) that means he's been sitting on it.
Well, the budget report came out in a day and TMK Gavin didn't say anything about the surplus until after the report came out. So what obligations did Gavin have prior to the report that wasn't embedded in the CA constitution?

So why did they need the Federal government to bail out their high speed rail project?

Could it be the media in Cali is again on hands and knees for Democratic self interest? Nahhhh.

So why did they need the Federal government to bail out their high speed rail project?

Could it be the media in Cali is again on hands and knees for Democratic self interest? Nahhhh.
I think that money was allocated to California's speed rail project long before Trump diverted it to pay for his wall.

I wonder how much it would cost to clean up the insane homeless problem they have in LA and San Fran. Probably not $76 billion. But that might upset some people.

I wonder how much it would cost to clean up the insane homeless problem they have in LA and San Fran. Probably not $76 billion. But that might upset some people.
No...but a couple billion spent to build low income housing would sure help.

Maybe they can pay back the 150 Billion they took from the Fed's in march?

Back
Top Bottom