• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California Caught Fudging Coronavirus Numbers

Oh, now I get it. You are saying that neither Trump or the California software engineers were well prepared for a pandemic, as well as the rest of the world.

Correct, we are not doing nearly as well as the rest of the world on average.

Data processing is delayed, not fudged

Did you even read the article before you decided you knew what it was about?

Or did you just slather your narrative all over it and then walk away?

Friggen liberal state under counting ****

It looks like it's a ****up rather than a conspiracy.

Undercounting is undercounting and it cost this lady her job. What a bunch of spin horse manure when she undercounts and then you try claiming it was Data processing delayed. Did you say the same thing when Florida was caught undercounting?

I thought the whole conspiracy was that they were overcounting so they could get all that sweet federal money...

The OP is trying hard to imply that's what the article says.

So hard.

much implication.

LMAO... I just can't keep up with the conspiracy of the day...

I actually totally agree with that. How many conspiracy theories has the left hurled out the last four years?

Undercounting is undercounting and it cost this lady her job. What a bunch of spin horse manure when she undercounts and then you try claiming it was Data processing delayed. Did you say the same thing when Florida was caught undercounting?

I'm not claiming that.

The article you posted claims that.

Did you forget to read the article you're posting again?

Or are you going to disavow the course you brought to the debate?

Personal responsibility can't be that unfamiliar to you.

In what way was she personally responsible for this debacle? Again, presuming equipment failure was the main reason for the failure to process cases?

Did she fail to address the issue of poor equipment in a way that another Director of Public Health would have done in a better, more-timely manner?

Well, don't get me wrong, sangha. I love bagging on the Democratic apparatchiks of my state as much as the next right-winger. However, a mere failure of equipment (if that is what happened) is one of those things that makes me think something rotten is going on. Either she did something a bit worse than leave old computers to go on the fritz, OR she was made the scapegoat for someone or something worse. Otherwise forcing someone to resign over being given control over a department that probably still has computer equipment from before the end of the Twentieth Century is ridiculous and should not be something she should be held responsible for.

BTW, it's good to see you back, sangha. I missed you.
Thanks Leo. Good to see you too.

As far as the resignation, see my earlier post

Sent from my U683CL using Tapatalk

I'm not claiming that.

The article you posted claims that.

Did you forget to read the article you're posting again?

Or are you going to disavow the course you brought to the debate?

I've been saying it all day... The desperation is palpable...

In what way was she personally responsible for this debacle? Again, presuming equipment failure was the main reason for the failure to process cases?

Did she fail to address the issue of poor equipment in a way that another Director of Public Health would have done in a better, more-timely manner?

If someone screws up or, in politics, if someone is perceived as screwing up, then assuming responsibility and/or simply resigning are always a plausible option.

We're all worldly enough to understand how these things work.

Let us say that it true, and it is a computer failure. Why would a computer failure merit resignation? The mere unavoidable and inevitable failure of equipment is one of those few situations that does not call for someone in a leadership position to resign.

Since you asked....

My main issue with MR's post is (1) it's an issue of standing given who he supports and the veracity of his own threads around here, (2) he's acting like one guy in one state allegedly doing wrong somehow means that liberal politicians lie as much as possible, (3) but we don't get to #2.

Why might a computer error lead to resignation? If it wasn't a problem with a computer in a mechanical sense but instead a problem with the program's code, which is what it sounds like to me. A mechanical error - ie, something wrong with wiring or a lose RAM chip - isn't going to cause undercounting. Bad code is.

Perhaps if the guy's job was to oversee the program and ensure that there was no such error given the importance of the issue. It's the Director of Public Health, so perhaps it really is coming from a sense of personal failure. "The fish rots from the head" / "The buck stops here"

Or maybe there was wrongdoing, but if so the last person I'm going to listen to about it is someone who tirelessly defends Trump. It's like listening to a current mafia capo opine about the evils of loansharking, and not in a tell-all sense but in a righteous moralizing sense.

According to the link, no reason for the resignation was given. It also mentions this:

Angell’s departure comes after a disastrous week for the Newsom administration’s fight against the pandemic. On Tuesday, news began to surface about counting irregularities in the state’s daily coronavirus case reporting system. On Friday, California’s top health official Dr. Mark Ghaly held a news conference and admitted that multiple errors on the state’s part had caused a backlog of 250,000-300,000 records in its case data reporting system. That system is used primarily to parse and distribute coronavirus data. The error caused an undercount in the state’s daily new COVID-19 cases data for the past two weeks, said Ghaly. Hospital counts and deaths were apparently not impacted. Ghaly apologized not just to the public but, obliquely, to his boss Newsom. "We apologize," Ghaly said on behalf of his staff. "You deserve better. The governor demands better." “The governor has directed a full investigation of what happened,” Ghaly said. “And we will hold people accountable.”

Meanwhile, the governor is apparently known for statements like "data is foundational" in his COVID decisions (one would hope so). So it sounds like someone seriously ****ed up and decided to clear the air.

tl;dr

MR took an article about an error in undercounting followed by resignation of the Director of Public Health and concluded that merited the conclusion that the numbers were being fudged AND that "These liberal states will be as dishonest as they can be."

I give crap threads the effort they deserve: close to none.

Get that, MR? Nothing in your link supports the allegation of fudging or the statement "These liberal states will be as dishonest as they can be."

Someone was dishonest here, but it sure wasn't a liberal state.

Last edited:

I do not know the logistics of what happened, but I would surmise that she may have been the person who hired the software engineering contractors who created the database. The article implies that this is very unlikely an issue of equipment and more an issue of how data is stored via software. It is similar to when software engineers use a short integer and then get hit with a case where a count needed to reach a million and instead flipped to 0 after 65,535 was hit 15 times, resulting in the final number being 16,974 instead of 1,000,000.

She may have resigned because she realized her failure to make sure that the software met all possible needs going forward.

I've been saying it all day... The desperation is palpable...

Trumpco customers will be violent come the election win or lose

They don't realize how far gone they are.

Back
Top Bottom