• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Caitlin Clark Popularity

Is Clark the GOAT that's very subjective. But if she is not it certainly isn't because she never won a championship

Cheryl Miller, Diana Tarusi, Breanna Stewart all surpass Clark

After Babe Ruth retired almost 90 years. ago the greatest hitter by far was Ted Williams. Many historians rate
Ruth & Williams 1 & 1A, Ted Williams never played in a World Series in 19 years. Winning championships is
highly overrated!!!! Ty Cobb with the highest lifetime BA .366 never won a World Series in over 20 years.

Big John Mize played 6 years with the Cardinals & had the 2nd highest batting average .336 of any Cardinal
only behind Rogers Hornsby. Stan Musial was 3rd. Mize held the team HR record for over 60 years when it was broken
by Mark McGuire. Traded to the Giants Mize broke Mel Otts HR record there & simultaneously held both teams HR record.

Yet he never played in a World Series! Finally old & fading Mize was traded to the Yankees & each year he played for the Yanks
all 5 years they won the World Series. So he became a champ as a part time player who hit 44 HR's in 5 years, after hitting 157
in 5 years with the Giants.

Charlie Silvera, Yogi Berra's backup got 6 rings playing 9 years with the Yanks. He only had 429 AB's in 9 years.
Silvera died at age 94 on September 7, 2019.] He was the last survivor among the 12 players who appeared
with all five Yankee World Series-winning teams from 1949 to 1953.

Championships in team sports depend on the abilities of the entire squad. For instance when DiMaggio hit in 56
games in a row in 41, Ted Williams batted .406. That year all 3 regulars outfielders on the Yanks for the first time in history
hit over 30 HR's DiMaggio, Keller & Henrich. In the RedSox outfield Williams led the league with 37 but the other outfielders
combined for 12. The Yanks won the pennant by 17 games over 2nd place Sox.

Baseball is different because in basketball one individual makes a greater impact to the outcome of the game.

GOAT of what? Greatest women's college basketball player ever?

She had a good run capturing the attention of America, but it will pass.

We have seen it with:

Jimmer Fredette
JJ Reddick
Jeremy Lin
Johnny Manziel
etc.. etc..

It was a good story, but let’s not go crazy.
More trolling. Those guy’s numbers aren’t comparable to Clark’s. Gunners? Big deal, a lot of players are/were gunners. How many NCAA records are held by any of those guys you listed? Come on, let’s see them.

More trolling. Those guy’s numbers aren’t comparable to Clark’s. Gunners? Big deal, a lot of players are/were gunners. How many NCAA records are held by any of those guys you listed? Come on, let’s see them.

It is comparable.

Clark is a talented player, but she isn't a generational talent. Plays zero defense and a turnover machine.

Brittney Griner was far more a college phenomenon than CC.

Soccer is a distant 4th to Football, Basketball, and baseball, regarding popularity in America.
I'd put soccer behind Softball and Track/Field. .

It is comparable.
No it’s not. How many people packed away arenas to see any of those guys play? Take Manziel out- that was college football and it isn’t what we’re talking about here. It’s also you grasping at any straw you can.
Clark is a talented player, but she isn't a generational talent. Plays zero defense and a turnover machine.
Nobody in the women’s game, and I mean nobody, has the shooting range she has. And you continue to ignore her massive number of assists. She was ranked 83rd in assist/turnover ratio, but when you consider the 346 assists, 93 more than anybody else, with riskier passes, she’s going to have more turnovers. Again, learn the game. Leading the nation in scoring and assists is an insane accomplishment. So is sweeping all of the national awards.
No, she wasn’t. Two words- role model. And now you’re trying to compare what Clark has done with a center. Of course, Clark passed Griner on the scoring list, too. LOL.

No it’s not. How many people packed away arenas to see any of those guys play? Take Manziel out- that was college football and it isn’t what we’re talking about here. It’s also you grasping at any straw you can.

Nobody in the women’s game, and I mean nobody, has the shooting range she has. And you continue to ignore her massive number of assists. She was ranked 83rd in assist/turnover ratio, but when you consider the 346 assists, 93 more than anybody else, with riskier passes, she’s going to have more turnovers. Again, learn the game. Leading the nation in scoring and assists is an insane accomplishment. So is sweeping all of the national awards.

No, she wasn’t. Two words- role model. And now you’re trying to compare what Clark has done with a center. Of course, Clark passed Griner on the scoring list, too. LOL.

I will give you plenty of examples:
  1. Zion Williamson (2019 – Duke)
  2. Stephen Curry (2008 – Davidson)
  3. Anthony Davis (2012 – Kentucky)
  4. Kevin Durant (2007 – Texas)
  5. Frank Kaminsky (2015 – Wisconsin)
  6. Kemba Walker (2011 – UConn)
  7. Trae Young (2018 – Oklahoma)
  8. Jimmer Fredette (2011 – BYU)

Lisa Bluder’s way isn’t relying upon the transfer portal for players. Without looking it up, I believe the Hawkeyes have 5 Top 100 players coming in this year. One is A.J. Guyton’s daughter. Plus, they have a commitment from a couple more for 2025 including the #12 nationally from California. Their style of play may also be conducive to young women wanting to play at Iowa. Let’s just say Iowa’s on the map for recruits. Top 25 next year? Maybe not, but I won’t bet against it happening.

Lisa Bluder (a very good fundamentals/motion coach) has been at Iowa forever yet it was only with the advent of Caitlin Clark (an Iowa girl) that the Iowa wbb program became a contender. We'll see how many games Iowa wbb wins next year. Even if no one comes through the transfer portal to South Carolina during the offseason, they have a very good chance to repeat. But transfers will come. Last year it was guard Te-Hina Paopao (the nation’s top percentage 3-point shooter) coming to Coach Staley through the portal from Oregon. She will be returning to SC for her 5th year. Who wouldn't desire a genuine opportunity to play under Dawn Staley and win a NCAA championship trophy?

Baseball is different because in basketball one individual makes a greater impact to the outcome of the game.

Jesus freaking Christ Bucky.....................you journey deeper into the absurd with every post.

Iowa would have been a bottom dweller in the Big 10 without Clark.

Lisa Bluder (a very good fundamentals/motion coach) has been at Iowa forever yet it was only with the advent of Caitlin Clark (an Iowa girl) that the Iowa wbb program became a contender. We'll see how many games Iowa wbb wins next year. Even if no one comes through the transfer portal to South Carolina during the offseason, they have a very good chance to repeat. But transfers will come. Last year it was guard Te-Hina Paopao (the nation’s top percentage 3-point shooter) coming to Coach Staley through the portal from Oregon. She will be returning to SC for her 5th year. Who wouldn't desire a genuine opportunity to play under Dawn Staley and win a NCAA championship trophy?
How many women’s college basketball teams are actually true contenders each year looking at history? I say that, because the rise in Iowa women’s basketball started before Caitlin Clark was a freshman. So let’s not imagine that everything at Iowa began with Caitlin Clark. That’s just not true. The 2018-2019 Hawkeyes who went to the Elite Eight had Naismith Award winner Megan Gustafson and Kathleen Doyle. They got beat by the eventual champion Baylor Bears who came into the tournament at 31-1. I watched that game, along with many others that season.

I have lived in Des Moines for the last 30 years. I’m an Iowa fan but I also follow Drake, UNI, and even some Iowa State, though I dislike the Cyclones. It’s all we’ve got around here. I go all the way back to Maury John’s Drake men’s basketball team who made it to the Final Four in 1969, losing to UCLA and Lew Alcindor 85-82. Watched that nail biter, too.

I’m not debating what Dawn Staley and South Carolina has established. Far from it. I mean, when you have 7 McDonalds All-Americans on your roster, you should be favored, shouldn’t you? You pretty much said it yourself- movement in women’s college basketball, whether through the transfer portal or recruiting high schoolers, will always favor the few power programs and legendary coaches. That’s NCAA Women’s Basketball. There’s not a ton of parity, or true contenders.

UConn, Baylor, Tennessee, Stanford, South Carolina… for a team like Iowa to make it to two Championship games in a row with only one real star in Caitlin Clark (although Hannah Stuelke isn’t bad, either), it’s hopefully a stepping stone to getting higher rated recruits. I’m willing to let things play out and be entertained along the way. And I’ve been spoiled in that regard, because there’s been no greater entertainment than the Iowa women’s basketball team the last couple of seasons.

I’m not debating what Dawn Staley and South Carolina has established. Far from it. I mean, when you have 7 McDonalds All-Americans on your roster, you should be favored, shouldn’t you? You pretty much said it yourself- movement in women’s college basketball, whether through the transfer portal or recruiting high schoolers, will always favor the few power programs and legendary coaches. That’s NCAA Women’s Basketball. There’s not a ton of parity, or true contenders.

I am actually a UCONN wbb team fan. Been watching them for many years, through all the chmpionships and undefeated seasons. The 169 game undefeated streak and the 4 consecutive championships 2013-2016. A well-oiled machine. I've visited their facilities in Storrs, CT and they are first rate. What doomed the Huskies this year was season-ending injuries to 6 players. How many teams can survive that? Yet the Huskies made it to the Final Four playing only six players. They will be losing Nika Muhl and Aaliyah Edwards to the WNBA. But Paige Bueckers will be back, the injuries will be healed, new freshmen will be coming aboard, and there is always the portal. Who wouldn't want to play for Geno Auriema? Their greatest deficiencies are a lack of height (no true Big like a Breanna Stewart) and a lack of length. Hopefully, those shortcomings will be remedied during the offseason. But they are always well-coached and ready to rumble when the horn sounds.

Bueckers is certainly one of the best women players on the court. Can do it all and she usually does. She will be a high pick in the 2025 WNBA draft.

I'd put soccer behind Softball and Track/Field. .

Soccer is the fastest growing professional sport in North America. Its overtaken the NHL in terms of revune, sponsership and viewership and is quickly catching the MLB. After the US host the 2026 World Cup I can see the sport absloutley skyrocketing in the US.

I am actually a UCONN wbb team fan. Been watching them for many years, through all the chmpionships and undefeated seasons. The 169 game undefeated streak and the 4 consecutive championships 2013-2016. A well-oiled machine. I've visited their facilities in Storrs, CT and they are first rate. What doomed the Huskies this year was season-ending injuries to 6 players. How many teams can survive that? Yet the Huskies made it to the Final Four playing only six players. They will be losing Nika Muhl and Aaliyah Edwards to the WNBA. But Paige Bueckers will be back, the injuries will be healed, new freshmen will be coming aboard, and there is always the portal. Who wouldn't want to play for Geno Auriema? Their greatest deficiencies are a lack of height (no true Big like a Breanna Stewart) and a lack of length. Hopefully, those shortcomings will be remedied during the offseason. But they are always well-coached and ready to rumble when the horn sounds.

Bueckers is certainly one of the best women players on the court. Can do it all and she usually does. She will be a high pick in the 2025 WNBA draft.
There’s little for me to quibble about with your post. UConn being a machine is right. When your recruiting is basically Geno picking and choosing who you want (a little embellishment by me there, but you get my point) like it was in Alabama with Saban, you’re not going to have down years. Now when someone like Pat Summitt retired, Tennessee hasn’t exactly picked up where she left off. It will be interesting to see what happens out in Palo Alto now that Tara VanDerveer is retiring. UConn may have their challenges when Geno hangs it up, too.

There’s a story here that’s been told that may be true or not. A whole bunch of stories were written how Caitlin Clark wanted to be recruited by UConn because she was in awe of their program. Not necessarily to choose UConn, but to be able to say she was recruited by Geno and the school. And Geno said he didn’t recruit Clark because he already had Bueckers. He even said that if Clark wanted to go to UConn, she could have picked up the phone and called him. But never anything else.

A local radio personality here was calling an away high school game with Caitlin Clark and Dowling Catholic and said he knows that Geno was there in person to watch Clark play. He saw him there. Apparently, it wasn’t a very good game for her- careless with the ball, turnovers, and not a great shooting night. The story goes that Geno left in the second half before the end of the game and said to himself loud enough for others to hear, that “I’ve seen enough of this ****.” Didn’t stick around to even meet Clark. I believe that story. The guy who said it is reliable.

Geno wouldn’t have let Caitlin Clark play her game as Lisa Bluder did anyway. That’s a 20-20 hindsight statement, but probably true nonetheless. Clark thrived at Iowa. It was the right place for her, as it turns out.

I believe that Paige Bueckers will be the #1 pick in the 2025 WNBA Draft.

She looks like a guy I knew in the Navy.

He could play hoops too.

But she's better.
This post is a homoerotic fantasy about having sex with guys in the navy.

It is comparable.

Right, the person who has scored more points in NCAA Division 1 basketball than any other player (male or female) and is the projected first pick in the professional league she will play in is not a generational player.

Quick reminder, you never provided a source on her sexual identity. You believe she is straight because she is white and from the Midwest? Prove it.

A local radio personality here was calling an away high school game with Caitlin Clark and Dowling Catholic and said he knows that Geno was there in person to watch Clark play. He saw him there. Apparently, it wasn’t a very good game for her- careless with the ball, turnovers, and not a great shooting night. The story goes that Geno left in the second half before the end of the game and said to himself loud enough for others to hear, that “I’ve seen enough of this ****.” Didn’t stick around to even meet Clark. I believe that story. The guy who said it is reliable.

Don't know if I believe that yarn. Like all head coaches Geno follows the HS analytics, and has a staff dedicated to scouting and recruiting. I remember touring their facility in Storrs, they have this very long hallway that is lined on both sides with large pictures of past UCONN women BB greats. To say it is impressive would be an understatement. Their practice court (the men and women have their own separate practice courts) is truly first class and there are reminders everywhere of UCONN women's BB history and lore. I was able to peek inside Geno's office and there are trophy's everywhere. The support facilities like film rooms, strength training, sports medicine, hydrotherapy, dining, academic support and practice courts are all first rate.

Geno wouldn’t have let Caitlin Clark play her game as Lisa Bluder did anyway. That’s a 20-20 hindsight statement, but probably true nonetheless. Clark thrived at Iowa. It was the right place for her, as it turns out.

Although Clark is the best long range shooter I've ever seen on the women's side and also perhaps the best pure passer, Clark's lack of defensive skills may have excluded her from UCONN. If you don't play defense for Coach Auriema, you're not playing. I think Clark will (initially?) have a problem with D in the W. Without dedication and improvement, quick and savvy guards such as Jewell Loyd, Kaleah Copper, Arike Ogunbowale, Ariel Atkins, Kelsey Plum, Aerial Powers, Jackie Young, etc. will blow right by Caitlin. And I don't see Clark being able to "body-up" a guard such as Chelsea Gray of the Aces.

I believe that Paige Bueckers will be the #1 pick in the 2025 WNBA Draft.

I belive you are correct. Paige is a leader who can shoot, pass, drive, rebound, defend.... the whole enchilada and at the highest level.

Iowa has retired Clark's #22.

Unless something unexpected happens, Clark will be playing with UCONN alum (F) Katie Lou Samuelson who is a protected Fever veteran for 2025.

iu

Women's practice facility at UCONN"s Basketball Development Center.

Actually no basketball player has a greater impact on the game than the pitchers in baseball.

not just the stats. Her maturity and ability to communicate are unique.
HuH? Her communication skills aren't very outstanding. In fact I never heard her say much

For sure... I was just looking at some highlight reels... she is outstanding.
I read a couple articles, she is a clear leader and team player.
Kind of a fan of her myself now.
It says a lot about people who are trying to criticize people who admire this young lady.
Too bad.
She is a great scorer and deserves her props, but nothing else is outstanding about her. Stop making her more than what she is.

Drama Queen. Up until last night i didnt care who won but when LSU left for the Anthem and IA stood and held hands i was hoping LSU would lose.
You know you people don't really give a shit about the anthem. Just another excuse to hate
original.jpg

I watch WNBA games regularly. The spillover from wbb college popularity will bring new attendees/viewers to the W.

The Iowa/LSU game attracted 12.3 million viewers on ESPN (cable) and had peaks of 16.1 million. Both are records.

Folks will naturally want to see for themselves how some college talents manifest in the W.

I think Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese will succeed while Cameron Brink (Stanford) and Camilla Kardoso (South Carolina) flop.

At the very most, the W can only accomodate 144 active players (12 x 12).
Yes, the WNBA need both Clark and Reese. The Reese haters are going to come and see the games she plays against Clark. Both these ladies are mature enough to not harbour that kind of hate towards one another. It is just healthy competition. I am looking forward to seeing both these young ladies play in the WNBA

Back
Top Bottom