• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

By far the most common emotion that women experience after abortions

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Is relief.

Here is the study in question, which yet again aborts one of the biggest prolife myths about women's emotions pro-abortion. :)

Women who abort are relieved after they abort.

Is relief.

Women who abort are relieved after they abort.
If they've prioritized their well-being above the well-being of their child, why wouldn't most be relieved?

To not be relieved, they'd have to completely reverse moral priorities in the time from before the abortion until after it. While I expect this will happen with some women upon witnessing the brutality of the act first hand, I don't see why it would be the norm. Especially today when abortions are designed to be quick 'n easy "guilt-free" experiences.

Incidentally, when making claims about "the biggest prolife myths", link to a resource that proves your claim. I personally know hundreds of pro-life people and can't think of a single one of them who bases their judgment on what the majority of women report feeling after the fact. I have seen claims that some women feel overwhelmingly guilty after getting an abortion, but this is just presented as one of the possible risks, and it isn't a myth.

Is relief.
...... the study in question, which yet again aborts one of the biggest prolife myths about women's emotions pro-abortion. :). Women who abort are relieved after they abort.

Very true. Unfortunately, the anti-abortion movement has co-opted that topic by sending pastors to legislative hearings on abortion law with a contingent of women they herd up to the podium where they sobbingly testify to their life long sorrow at having their baby taken from them. They are scripted to leave the impression that abortion was thrust upon them by evil forces. It's a dramatic performance; woman after woman weeping before legislators about how abortion killed their baby. They have succeeded in almost totally obscuring the fact that 95% of women are relieved to have had an abortion.

I don't think there's any woman that takes abortion cavalierly. It's an agonizing decision that will live with her for life . That's why services like Planned Parenthood are so vital to women. They're there, not only to enable her decision, but they're there to assist her with that decision making. Not all women go through the abortion after receiving counseling at PP. They're goal is to help women make the right choice for her, not for them.

It's important to realize that it was President Nixon that first funded family planning services in this country. And by signing that legislation, he said poor women should be able to access health care. With access to health through Planned Parenthood, women can access health care for breast cancer screening, for cervical cancer screening, for STDs and get birth control pills and get morning after pills, all of which should prevent us from having to be in a position to deal with more abortions. The truth is that in countries that have more liberal rules about family planning and abortions have fewer abortions than we do in the United States.

Of course a woman who has elected to have an abortion made that choice under great duress, so initially there must be a great relief. But that will always stay with her and she will either be assured she made the right choice, or she won't. That's just how it is.

How a woman feels immediately and for awhile may not be how she feels much later. The women I know who have 30-50 years of perspective do regard their abortions as tragic and feel tremendous remorse, but many all say that if in the same situation at that age, they would probably make the same decision. Not all, though. One of my close friends who is 52 now was bulldozed into an abortion by her mother because she hadn't finished her Ph.D. This turned out to be her only opportunity to ever be pregnant again, and she had a complete hysterectomy only a couple of years later. She has bitter regrets, sorrow that she will always carry.

If they've prioritized their well-being above the well-being of their child, why wouldn't most be relieved?

Appeal to emotion fallacy.

To not be relieved, they'd have to completely reverse moral priorities in the time from before the abortion until after it. While I expect this will happen with some women upon witnessing the brutality of the act first hand, I don't see why it would be the norm. Especially today when abortions are designed to be quick 'n easy "guilt-free" experiences.

Incidentally, when making claims about "the biggest prolife myths", link to a resource that proves your claim. I personally know hundreds of pro-life people and can't think of a single one of them who bases their judgment on what the majority of women report feeling after the fact. I have seen claims that some women feel overwhelmingly guilty after getting an abortion, but this is just presented as one of the possible risks, and it isn't a myth.

Maybe they prioritized the well-being of the kids they already have, or of any other dependents like elderly or disabled family? Maybe they thought ensuring their security and meals and necessities were more important? That her future and all their futures were more important?

And many studies show that 'long-term,' most women do not regret the decision and have few to no emotional side-effects.

How a woman feels immediately and for awhile may not be how she feels much later. The women I know who have 30-50 years of perspective do regard their abortions as tragic and feel tremendous remorse, but many all say that if in the same situation at that age, they would probably make the same decision. Not all, though. One of my close friends who is 52 now was bulldozed into an abortion by her mother because she hadn't finished her Ph.D. This turned out to be her only opportunity to ever be pregnant again, and she had a complete hysterectomy only a couple of years later. She has bitter regrets, sorrow that she will always carry.

I know several women who had their babies and gave them up for adoption. Both ….decades later are tormented on a daily basis. One has been dealing with the not knowing for half a century.
The similarity is that they both just want to know their baby grew up happy and heathy. I am not sure tormented covers it.

Wouldn't she have had the same regret had she given the child up for adoption which would have been the most likely alternative in her presented case? Afterall, she likely found out after any adoption would have been final, complete with giving up all her parental rights that now she couldnt have more children when she actually was ready.

Since her pregnancy sounds like it occurred at a fairly young age, and was unplanned, then it is likely that if things had gone as planned instead (she simply didnt have sex or would have used better protection), then she would still be in the same position of regret because she likely still would have needed that hysterectomy at a young age, preventing her from having children.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Wouldn't she have had the same regret had she given the child up for adoption which would have been the most likely alternative in her presented case? Afterall, she likely found out after any adoption would have been final, complete with giving up all her parental rights that now she couldnt have more children when she actually was ready.

Since her pregnancy sounds like it occurred at a fairly young age, and was unplanned, then it is likely that if things had gone as planned instead (she simply didnt have sex or would have used better protection), then she would still be in the same position of regret because she likely still would have needed that hysterectomy at a young age, preventing her from having children.

No, I don't think the regret would have been the same because had she carried to term and given the baby up, the child would have lived, not died, and there would be gratitude for that rather than guilt.

No, I don't think the regret would have been the same because had she carried to term and given the baby up, the child would have lived, not died, and there would be gratitude for that rather than guilt.
You cant know that, especially since your post indicated she wanted kids, not to just experience childbirth. Nor did your post indicate honestly that she regretted the abortion simply for having it, but rather for the fact that she could not later have children and was forced into it. Not saying she didnt regret the abortion, only that you put several factors into it. Mind you, the very fact that you indicate it wasnt fully her decision says that she could have regret from agreeing to have the abortion because she didnt follow what she wanted, instead going with what another wanted for her. Most can see either of the external factors you mentioned alone being a regret in itself for having an abortion, whether because later they cannot have kids or because someone else talked them into it or forced them.

Small detail you overlooked... it wasn't a child.

You cant know that, especially since your post indicated she wanted kids, not to just experience childbirth. Nor did your post indicate honestly that she regretted the abortion simply for having it, but rather for the fact that she could not later have children and was forced into it. Not saying she didnt regret the abortion, only that you put several factors into it. Mind you, the very fact that you indicate it wasnt fully her decision says that she could have regret from agreeing to have the abortion because she didnt follow what she wanted, instead going with what another wanted for her. Most can see either of the external factors you mentioned alone being a regret in itself for having an abortion, whether because later they cannot have kids or because someone else talked them into it or forced them.

Thanks for explaining to me what I really meant. It's certainly not as if this is my friend and we haven't talked about this for many, many years now.

No, they chose not to bring an unwanted child into this world. Maybe if forced-birthers got things right, they would not be so upset over nothing.

Thanks for explaining to me what I really meant. It's certainly not as if this is my friend and we haven't talked about this for many, many years now.

So, you remind her of it every chance you get?

Small detail you overlooked... it wasn't a child.

I said "had she carried to term." And my friend certainly isn't qualified to express her own opinions about her own abortion and whether she regards the "products of conception" as a child. Maybe I should text her this morning and correct her viewpoint.

I said "had she carried to term." And my friend certainly isn't qualified to express her own opinions about her own abortion and whether she regards the "products of conception" as a child. Maybe I should text her this morning and correct her viewpoint.

You said that the child would have lived. Maybe be more careful with how you word it. There is no regret if it isn't a child.

Ok. But what you posted provides at least 2 external factors beyond the divorce for her to regret, and indicated she wanted to have kids but couldnt. Are you now saying she didnt really want to raise kids, so doesnt regret not getting to raise her own kids?

Had she had a kid, it is quite possible you wouldn't have been friends at all. Her life would have taken a different path.

Additionally, you didnt address if she had not gotten pregnant, would she have had regrets about being safe about sex or putting her schooling first. I realize you couldnt know and likely she wouldn't either, but the main regret from your indication was not being able to have kids, missing that opportunity that was there, choosing abortion instead.

Last edited:

The two women I know that gave up their babies after adoption are tormented. One for over 50 years. She tried to find out and never could. She just wanted to know that her baby grew up happy and healthy. She would have loved to connect, but she really just wanted to know the adoptive family was kind and nurturing.

But yes, 50 plus years of torture. Her support groups had similar situations. Some turned out happier than others.

Appeal to emotion fallacy.
An appeal to morality, perhaps, but abortion is inherently a moral issue.

Maybe they thought ensuring their security and meals and necessities were more important? That her future and all their futures were more important?
Every reason you can contrive to justify abortion doubles as an excellent reason--a moral imperative, in fact--not to get pregnant in the first place. If caring for another child is out of the question, then conceiving a child is out of the question, whether by surgery or abstinence.

Kindly spare me the "Women have a right to..." canned response. I know, believe it or not, that people have the right to carry on irresponsible sex and then abort to bury the consequences. Mine is, as always, a moral argument, not a legal one.

No, they chose not to bring an unwanted child into this world.
Too late for that.

An appeal to morality, perhaps, but abortion is inherently a moral issue.

Of course killing a child is a moral issue. Nobody disputes that.

Science indicates that what you think is probably incorrect. The "5 year after" abortion study says:

We found no evidence of emerging negative emotions over 5 years post-abortion.
High proportions of women felt abortion was the right decision across all 5 years.
Relief was the most commonly felt emotion at all times over 5 years post-abortion.

These results add to the scientific evidence that emotions about an abortion are associated with personal and social context, and are not a product of the abortion procedure itself. Findings challenge the rationale for policies regulating access to abortion that are premised on emotional harm claims.
Emotions and decision rightness over five years following an abortion: An examination of decision difficulty and abortion stigma - ScienceDirect

Research into post birth hormones says:

"Even before a woman gives birth, pregnancy tinkers with the very structure of her brain. After centuries of observing behavioral changes in new mothers, scientists are only recently beginning to definitively link the way a woman acts with what's happening in her prefrontal cortex, midbrain, parietal lobes, and elsewhere. Gray matter becomes more concentrated. Activity increases in regions that control empathy, anxiety, and social interaction. On the most basic level, these changes, prompted by a flood of hormones during pregnancy and in the postpartum period, help attract a new mother to her baby. In other words, those maternal feelings of overwhelming love, fierce protectiveness, and constant worry begin with reactions in the brain."https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/what-happens-to-a-womans-brain-when-she-becomes-a-mother/384179/

The brain chemistry is hard wired to create mother child bonding. It is almost impossible for a mother to feel gratitude about giving up her new-born child. Contrary to anti-abortion claims of lifelong depression and sorrow studies show that 95% of women getting an abortion are relieved and satisfied with their decision to abort.

Giving away a baby as a cure for abortion is the kind of idiotic thinking that happens when emotion not truth is driving a movement that has no financial, economic, social or moral logic to it.

No mother is free of guilt and filled with gratitude giving away their baby. No woman is going to feel guilt or sorrow over getting an abortion.

Last edited:

Your question is a loaded question. :) If you want to learn, feel free to actually read the study that I have already supplied for you. ;)

So your personal narratives are more important than the findings of a research paper. Got it. :lol:

Science indicates that what you think is probably incorrect. The "5 year after" abortion study says:

We found no evidence of emerging negative emotions over 5 years post-abortion.
High proportions of women felt abortion was the right decision across all 5 years.
Relief was the most commonly felt emotion at all times over 5 years post-abortion.

These results add to the scientific evidence that emotions about an abortion are associated with personal and social context, and are not a product of the abortion procedure itself. Findings challenge the rationale for policies regulating access to abortion that are premised on emotional harm claims.
Emotions and decision rightness over five years following an abortion: An examination of decision difficulty and abortion stigma - ScienceDirect

Research into post birth hormones says:

"Even before a woman gives birth, pregnancy tinkers with the very structure of her brain. After centuries of observing behavioral changes in new mothers, scientists are only recently beginning to definitively link the way a woman acts with what's happening in her prefrontal cortex, midbrain, parietal lobes, and elsewhere. Gray matter becomes more concentrated. Activity increases in regions that control empathy, anxiety, and social interaction. On the most basic level, these changes, prompted by a flood of hormones during pregnancy and in the postpartum period, help attract a new mother to her baby. In other words, those maternal feelings of overwhelming love, fierce protectiveness, and constant worry begin with reactions in the brain."https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/what-happens-to-a-womans-brain-when-she-becomes-a-mother/384179/

The brain chemistry is hard wired to create mother child bonding. It is almost impossible for a mother to feel gratitude about giving up her new-born child. Contrary to anti-abortion claims of lifelong depression and sorrow studies show that 95% of women getting an abortion are relieved and satisfied with their decision to abort.

Giving away a baby as a cure for abortion is the kind of idiotic thinking that happens when emotion not truth is driving a movement that has no financial, economic, social or moral logic to it.

No mother is free of guilt and filled with gratitude giving away their baby. No woman is going to feel guilt or sorrow over getting an abortion.

There are solid scientific, financial, social and moral reasons to regulate and restrict abortion. Forcing women to carrying a fetus to term and then giving away her baby is not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom