• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Burkina Faso contracts Russian mercenaries, alleges Ghana

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Burkina Faso has allegedly made an agreement with Russia's Wagner Group in which the shadowy mercenary outfit will help the West African country deal with surging jihadi violence in exchange for a mine. Ghana’s President Nana Akufo-Addo made that claim about neighboring Burkina Faso during his visit to the United States where he’s attending the U.S.-Africa summit. Speaking about the growing violence linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group in the West African region, Akufo-Addo said Burkina Faso allocated a mine to the Wagner Group as a form of payment for its deployment of fighters in the country. “To have (Wagner) operating on our northern border is particularly distressing for us in Ghana,” said Akufo-Addo, at the summit on Wednesday.

After the latest coup in September, the Wagner Group was among the first to congratulate the new junta leader, Ibrahim Traore, raising questions about his relationship with Russia and how big a role it played in catapulting him to power. People with close ties to Burkina Faso's ruling junta said pressure had been mounting on the leader of the first coup, Lt. Col. Paul Henri Sandaogo Damiba, for months to work more closely with Russia but he had refused. Akufo-Addo's comments came on the heels of a trip to Moscow by Burkina Faso’s Prime Minister, Apollinaire Joachim Kyelem de Tambela, to further strengthen Russia-Burkina relations.

The mining concessions (also being used by Russia in the Central Africa Republic and Mali) are manipulated by Moscow to increase corruption in the country and in addition, to oversee human trafficking and utilize child slave labor.

Why the West just allows African country after country to slip-away into Kremlin countrol is beyond me.

The mining concessions (also being used by Russia in the Central Africa Republic and Mali) are manipulated by Moscow to increase corruption in the country and in addition, to oversee human trafficking and utilize child slave labor.

Why the West just allows African country after country to slip-away into Kremlin countrol is beyond me.

What are we supposed to do, demand Burkina Faso not hire Russian mercenaries? Invade? Offer our own mercenaries?

🙄

And where is Russia's Wanker Wagner group going to murder innocent people today?

Burkina Faso!

And where is Russia's Wanker Wagner group going to murder innocent people today?

Burkina Faso!

That’s what mercenaries do.

Donnie Draft Dodger pardoned a bunch of ours for doing the same thing not long ago.

The 1st sensible suggestion you've posted in years.

Our own mercenaries have a list of atrocities a mile long themselves. Thanks for admitting you couldn’t care less about the crimes you supposedly bemoan.

Just offer a bounty for Russian heads in the Sahel and always pay that tab.

What are we supposed to do, demand Burkina Faso not hire Russian mercenaries? Invade? Offer our own mercenaries?

🙄

Maybe @Rogue Valley will like the Burkina Fassians to only contract with the mercenaries of La Legion Etrangere :)

He only lasted a week.

****ing pathetic.

Way to prove me right.

Again.

Any thoughts on the actual topic, or are you just here to cry about me?

Nah, he’s made it pretty clear that he wants US mercenaries to get those lucrative contracts.

I'm pretty surprised Wagner haven't all been recalled for the fight in Ukraine where they are needed.

Somone’s got to hold down the fort overseas I suppose.

I'd rather see all foreign mercenaries removed from Africa myself. Don't care where they come from, they are parasites on local culture and development.

Back
Top Bottom