• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Buddhism

Why do a lot of people consider themselves Buddhist, when they have conflicting personalities and actions. Most of the people I've met who have claimed they were Buddhist followed an extremely loose interpretation of it.

why "why not?"

eh?

Why do a lot of people consider themselves Buddhist, when they have conflicting personalities and actions. Most of the people I've met who have claimed they were Buddhist followed an extremely loose interpretation of it.
You will find that in any religious group. I've met people who were "Buddhists" simply because they thought it was cool. People like that, of any faith, need not be taken seriously.

You will find that in any religious group. I've met people who were "Buddhists" simply because they thought it was cool. People like that, of any faith, need not be taken seriously.

I whole-heartedly agree, these people have a very loose interpretation of Buddhism. Back in high school, many of the relatively 'cool' kids (I say that out of observing their snobby, high maintenance, plastic attitudes) would criticize abrahemic relgions with nonsencial, ill aware, racially based arguments- but end statements by claiming Buddhism was the way-to-go. It's frustrating, annoying and ill-conceived.

Between Christianity, Confucianism, Taoism, and Islam, Buddhism is easily the most violent religion in SE Asia.

You don't feel so bad about killing people when you believe they will reincarnate...

Between Christianity, Confucianism, Taoism, and Islam, Buddhism is easily the most violent religion in SE Asia.

You don't feel so bad about killing people when you believe they will reincarnate...

Buddhism is a non-violent religion. If someone calls them self a Buddhist and then proceeds to murder 5 people, they are not a Buddhist. They would be ignoring the teaching of Siddartha and abandoning the Noble Eightfold Path. It's just like Christians shooting abortion doctors: That's never something Jesus would advocate. Therefore, I do not consider them to be actual Christians.

The Buddha's teachings are non-violent. The Buddha taught peace.

Buddhism is a non-violent religion. If someone calls them self a Buddhist and then proceeds to murder 5 people, they are not a Buddhist. They would be ignoring the teaching of Siddartha and abandoning the Noble Eightfold Path. It's just like Christians shooting abortion doctors: That's never something Jesus would advocate. Therefore, I do not consider them to be actual Christians.

All religions are non-violent when humans are left out. If we are to openly talk about religion in society, then we must add humanity to the equation. Whether or not the Buddhist community at large shuns a murderer for killing, we must consider them a product of Buddhist teachings.

I'll give them credit, they don't knock on my door or mail me literature.

All religions are non-violent when humans are left out. If we are to openly talk about religion in society, then we must add humanity to the equation. Whether or not the Buddhist community at large shuns a murderer for killing, we must consider them a product of Buddhist teachings.

A murderer is not the product of Buddhist teachings. Karma, a Buddhist teaching has insight into the causes of murder. The teachings on the poisons of the mind, greed, hatred, ignorance, jealousy and pride further elaborate.

All of these poisons when purified lead to wisdom. That is the Buddha's teachings, not sectarian violence.

Last edited:
All religions are non-violent when humans are left out.

All religions ARE non-violent, out of context that is. Humans will interpret it with their intellect, and further with subjectivity.

Not true. The Abrahamic God is a violent one, and also a vengeful one. All religions are not non-violent, regardless of the human condition.

Furthermore, Buddhism comes in many different types, like different sects of Christianity. Some put significance thru "works" and some others thru "faith" (Christianity). Some Buddhists believe that touching money is never allowed and some do; some believe that fighting is never allowed and some do.

But if I could summarize Buddhism into one sentence it would be: It's all about restricting your personal unhappiness' and allowing you to become more fulfilled in life. Accomplishing this comes in many different methods.

That's like a guy from the Red Cross raping a starving African child and calling him the product of humanitarian efforts.

There are a few posters who are, I suspect, thinking that this might be a thread suggesting you consider following Buddhism. I don't know Windy's motivation for starting the thread, but I don't think that was her intention.

If you are a follower of the teachings of the Lord Buddha the idea of 'evangelising' Buddhism is a non-starter. It's a deeply personal philosophy and the individual's karma is no one's business but theirs. The idea that if you have committed to keep the Ten Precepts and have not succeeded, you are somehow a 'sinner' or less of a Buddhist doesn't make sense. There are no sins, just ways that help or hinder your own spiritual development and the ultimate effects of karma, the expression of the interconnectedness of all things and events.

It's certainly not for the person that wants certainty and definitive answers to specific material questions such as, "Who created the universe?"

I wish Christianity had some kind of Kung-Fu...that would be baddass...it's not like we don't have a foundation for it either. Jesus's bullwhip, the deciple cutting off a guard's ear with a sword, etc.

Not true. The Abrahamic God is a violent one, and also a vengeful one. All religions are not non-violent, regardless of the human condition.

Furthermore, Buddhism comes in many different types, like different sects of Christianity. Some put significance thru "works" and some others thru "faith" (Christianity). Some Buddhists believe that touching money is never allowed and some do; some believe that fighting is never allowed and some do.

But if I could summarize Buddhism into one sentence it would be: It's all about restricting your personal unhappiness' and allowing you to become more fulfilled in life. Accomplishing this comes in many different methods.

Religions don't make sense outside of the human condition. They are intangible and cannot be observed outside of the human condition. Why? Because they have no meaning to life other than to humans.

I say that all religions exist peaceful outside of the human condition because they are then inanimate objects, void of meaning.

That's like a guy from the Red Cross raping a starving African child and calling him the product of humanitarian efforts.

No. It's like millions of African children being raped by thousands of Red Cross workers.

There are a few posters who are, I suspect, thinking that this might be a thread suggesting you consider following Buddhism. I don't know Windy's motivation for starting the thread, but I don't think that was her intention.

If you are a follower of the teachings of the Lord Buddha the idea of 'evangelising' Buddhism is a non-starter. It's a deeply personal philosophy and the individual's karma is no one's business but theirs. The idea that if you have committed to keep the Ten Precepts and have not succeeded, you are somehow a 'sinner' or less of a Buddhist doesn't make sense. There are no sins, just ways that help or hinder your own spiritual development and the ultimate effects of karma, the expression of the interconnectedness of all things and events.

It's certainly not for the person that wants certainty and definitive answers to specific material questions such as, "Who created the universe?"

Great post!:2wave:

Back
Top Bottom