• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Brokeback Mountain

Will you go see Brokeback Mountain

• Absolutely.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Only when it comes out in video/DVD.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • No friggen way.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I'd rather watch Fahrenheit 9-11

Votes: 13 14.6%

• Total voters
I don't think so I see enough of it each day on the news.

brokebackbush.jpg

George_Washington said:
I wasn't trying to argue with you on this, this originally started because Nurse was having a period and his hormones are all out of whack and so he had to make petty, childish remarks.

Oh, have you dropped your hand bag? ;)

George_Washington said:
Yes, they have. Astronauts don't have sex when they're in their space ships orbiting the moon.

lol just kidding. I realize it's a natural biological urge but if someone has a disease, it's just something I think they should do. I mean if I had a highly contagible disease, I wouldn't have sex with a woman, out of respect for her. See what I mean?

Very often, people don't even know they have it until after they've spread it. If we don't expect people to stop having sex here and instead encourage condom use, why should it be different for Africa?

mixedmedia said:
Very often, people don't even know they have it until after they've spread it. If we don't expect people to stop having sex here and instead encourage condom use, why should it be different for Africa?

The answer to that is simple, mixie. We aren't at the mercy of the Vatican here in the US. We have a secular humanitarian structure that involves government and private charity along with interdenominational faith based initiatives. The amalgam of idealogies lends to common sense ruling.

In Africa, the Church is doing most of the humanitarian effort. As such, they get to teach their doctrines, even if they are flawed in some areas. When it is the Church who builds the hospitals, churches, clinics, schools, and feeds the people, they sort of develop a monopoly on morality. Science and common sense should take precedent over the Church's outdated dogma, but in practicality that is not going to happen until a bigger relief effort is mustered by more secular movements. I just dont see that happening.

jallman said:
In Africa, the Church is doing most of the humanitarian effort. As such, they get to teach their doctrines, even if they are flawed in some areas. When it is the Church who builds the hospitals, churches, clinics, schools, and feeds the people, they sort of develop a monopoly on morality. Science and common sense should take precedent over the Church's outdated dogma, but in practicality that is not going to happen until a bigger relief effort is mustered by more secular movements. I just dont see that happening.

There are many Christian missionaries in Africa. They are by no means all Catholic nor are they all anti-condom. But even if they were what's stopping other organizations from going in there and lending a hand? Nothing! So I'd be careful bashing the religious missionaries. At least they are trying to do something. Plus there are plenty of non-religious humanitarian aid groups working with Africa that you could donate money to if you were so inclined.

talloulou said:
There are many Christian missionaries in Africa. They are by no means all Catholic nor are they all anti-condom. But even if they were what's stopping other organizations from going in there and lending a hand? Nothing! So I'd be careful bashing the religious missionaries. At least they are trying to do something. Plus there are plenty of non-religious humanitarian aid groups working with Africa that you could donate money to if you were so inclined.

I appreciate what you're saying and don't dispute it, but the fact is there are over 120 million Catholics in Africa being told not to use condoms because of old-fashioned Catholic doctrine.

mixedmedia said:
I appreciate what you're saying and don't dispute it, but the fact is there are over 120 million Catholics in Africa being told not to use condoms because of old-fashioned Catholic doctrine.

That's not entirely true though, many there on the ground do not believe in preaching that nonsense, they would have to be blind, or insane. Those people are still being told by religious figures in their own communities, and the Vatican should step in and end this debate!:shock:

Deegan said:
That's not entirely true though, many there on the ground do not believe in preaching that nonsense, they would have to be blind, or insane. Those people are still being told by religious figures in their own communities, and the Vatican should step in and end this debate!:shock:

This is doctrine mandated by the Vatican. And Catholics, if they are devout, are going to follow the advice of their church before that of other Christian religions or secular organizations.

This thread has turned into something different than when I last saw it. It is funny how people think that the Vatican should be listened to any more than Jim Jones, David Koresh, John Smith, or Bob Marley. Boy has religion run amok on our planet.

mixedmedia said:
This is doctrine mandated by the Vatican. And Catholics, if they are devout, are going to follow the advice of their church before that of other Christian religions or secular organizations.

Here's the thing though.....any missionaries can go to Africa not just Catholic ones first off.

Second off if the people of Africa were actually "devout" as you say then they would be listening to the advice of strict Catholic missionaries and they would be married and having sex with one partner. Clearly studies have shown that africans aren't doing this. So who's to say they would even use the condoms?

But I do fully agree condoms should be handed out and the people should be educated on their purpose and informed on how to properly use them. And I see no reason why this isn't being done by some other groups besides the Catholics. I don't like finger pointing on serious issues such as this. And as far as I can tell the Vatican is not stopping other missionaries from helping out in Africa.

Why don't Brad and Angelina organize condom drops in Africa? To blame the problem on Catholics is irresponsible. They are helping in their way and since more help is needed in other ways then groups should step up and do it.

Last edited:
talloulou said:
Here's the thing though.....any missionaries can go to Africa not just Catholic ones first off. Second off if the people of Africa were actually listening to strict Catholic missionaries they would be married and having sex with one partner. Clearly studies have shown that africans aren't doing this. So who's to say they would even use the condoms?

But I do fully agree condoms should be handed out and the people should be educated on their purpose and informed on how to properly use them. And I see no reason why this isn't being done by some other group besides the Catholics. I don't like finger pointing on serious issues such as this. And as far as I can tell the Vatican is not stopping other missionaries from helping out in Africa.

But my point is that African Catholics are going to follow the advice of their church if the church is saying that birth control is against the law of God. But will that prevent them from denying their natural urge to have sex? No. People don't make sense, I know. Just as the Vatican denying people the use of condoms doesn't make sense. Doesn't mean it is not real. I never said that other groups were not going to Africa to try and help. My point is that there is a huge Catholic population in Africa and they are being told NOT to use condoms. I'm not trying to point fingers or place blame. Just stating the facts.

mixedmedia said:
But my point is that African Catholics are going to follow the advice of their church if the church is saying that birth control is against the law of God. But will that prevent them from denying their natural urge to have sex? No. People don't make sense, I know. Just as the Vatican denying people the use of condoms doesn't make sense. Doesn't mean it is not real. I never said that other groups were not going to Africa to try and help. My point is that there is a huge Catholic population in Africa and they are being told NOT to use condoms. I'm not trying to point fingers or place blame. Just stating the facts.

The Catholics in the US are told not to use birth control and condoms as well and yet MOST do.

The problems in Africa regarding HIV and poverty go way above and beyond any religious dogma. It's not a problem that's gonna be solved by any religious group but at least they are trying. Until OUR own government and governments around the world join together to seriously help Africa things over there aren't going to get better.

Be upset at the Vatican if that works for you but I'd rather be pissed at the United Nations and governments around the world who choose time and time again to turn a blind eye.

There may be people dying of AIDS in Africa who could have been saved by a condom but there are also people in Africa dying of hunger despite tons of food available on the planet. Likewise there are people dying of infections that would easily be cured by antibiotics that are readily available throughout the modern world.

Africa is a sad story but the blame does not lie with the Vatican.

IN any event Africa needs to practice safe sex one way or another, the Catholic way, the Protestant way or the way of Doctors without borders etc... If it doesn't the epidemic will stay as it is... totally out of control. Maybe the West needs to approach the situation from an "African perspective".

talloulou said:
The Catholics in the US are told not to use birth control and condoms as well and yet MOST do.

The problems in Africa regarding HIV and poverty go way above and beyond any religious dogma. It's not a problem that's gonna be solved by any religious group but at least they are trying. Until OUR own government and governments around the world join together to seriously help Africa things over there aren't going to get better.

Be upset at the Vatican if that works for you but I'd rather be pissed at the United Nations and governments around the world who choose time and time again to turn a blind eye.

There may be people dying of AIDS in Africa who could have been saved by a condom but there are also people in Africa dying of hunger despite tons of food available on the planet. Likewise there are people dying of infections that would easily be cured by antibiotics that are readily available throughout the modern world.

Africa is a sad story but the blame does not lie with the Vatican.

That Catholics in the US are not the Catholics in Africa.

It serves a good purpose to remember that most of the world cannot be compared in any meaningful way to the US.

I am not arguing any of your other points. I agree with you. But the Vatican has a very heavy influence in Africa. Am I placing all the blame on them? No. Just what is deserved.

WOW ... did this thread ever veer way the hell off course...lol

Moderator's Warning:

Moving this thread to the Archives. It was real, ya'll!

Back
Top Bottom