• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blog Your Current Game

So the Chaos Theory missions are total ball busters. There seems to be a built in trigger that gets more likely the closer you get to a given stage goal. I am on the cusp of checking all the boxes and it's either a storm, or a disease, or some dino breaks free... every. single. time.

It was fun for a while, but I am so deep in now to trying to keep the ball rolling that all of my original dinos have died of old age, and now the 2nd gen are dying off... even the ones I successfully modified to live longer.

The last box I need to check on this stage is to get a 4 star rating, and I have been hovering between 3.5 and 3.7 for way too long.

Distant Worlds 2 in 10ish hours it says on Steam, and I am pumped. The first would have beeen the best space based 4X game except the UI was so horrid it was painful. This is the same basic gameplay as the first, but with better graphics and a UI that actually works. You can micromanage to your hearts content with an incredibly complex game, or just automate everything, or anywhere in between. Yes, I am stoked!

Reactions: PoS
Distant Worlds 2 in 10ish hours it says on Steam, and I am pumped. The first would have beeen the best space based 4X game except the UI was so horrid it was painful. This is the same basic gameplay as the first, but with better graphics and a UI that actually works. You can micromanage to your hearts content with an incredibly complex game, or just automate everything, or anywhere in between. Yes, I am stoked!
I played Stellaris for a few days but its diplomacy turned me off. I'll check this out and hopefully its better.

Blowing up your first pirate ship is very satisfying!

Blowing up your first pirate ship is very satisfying!

That is a more general rule I use to determine if a game is quality.

If you ever find yourself fist pumping and saying some form of "Hahah, get ****ed" at the computer opponent you know you are enjoying the game.

There is a particular unit in WH40K Battlesector that can move forever, has devistating melee, and emits a poison cloud that both boosts their dodge, and poisons your troops. Early on they are a pain in the ass because you have no ready made solution to them.

I eventually reaized that while they emit clouds at the start and end of their turns, they are unprotected for a brief time between poit A and B, so on a mission I set up every ranged unit on overwatch and set the maximum range to engage just outside of the current cloud. On doing that, all of my troops held fire until the bastards left their first cloud, at which point they started to melt while I chuckled and said "Get ****ed".

It was then that I realized it was a good game.

Distant Worlds 2 review:

The good:
1: The UI works well. If you have played thee original Distant Worlds, you will know just how big a deal that is, as the original was a great game with an interface that made it nearly unplayable.
2: Graphics are almost perfect. No, it is not a high end AAA game with lifelike graphics, but everything looks nice. Space battles are dynamic and worth watching, each races ships having unique designs, each weapon looks different, explosions, fighters, missiles, torpedoes, beam weapons, point defense beams, railguns, all zipping away, frequently leading to awesome explosions. Planets have different continents and oceans, and rotate giving night/day, and as an area goes to nightfall, city lights come on and sparkle. It really does look just about as nice as can be.
3: This is a highly complex game, with over 50 different resources, a massive research tree, an incredibly complex economy, and yet it is all easily manageable, and as you learn things more and more, you slowly turn off automation and take control, without ever being overwhelmed. The way they pulled it off is impressive.
4: You find a planet with resources, and order a mining station built there. A construction ship picks up the resources needed to build the station, flies to the location, drones flit about, scaffolding goes up over the frame of the station, and slowly builds the station. Once it is built, the station sends out mining drones to the planet below, you can watch the line of them dropping down and coming back. The mining station slowly fills with resources. Freighters show up, pick up the resources, and haul they to bases and colonies where they are needed. All of this except ordering the base built is outside of player control, as this is all part of the private economy, which you do not control. In fact, if you order more ships or bases built, you have to pay for those resources at market prices to build it, and the money you pay goes into the private economy. The freighters, mining ships, transport ships for tourists, all those are built by the private sector with no input nor control by you. You make your money from taxing the private sector, and them paying to build ships at your shipyards. It is just a glorious system.
5: Pirates. You will at the start run into several pirate factions, each of which is stronger than you. You have no choice but to pay them "protection" each month. Before long, you reach a point where you can build a strong enough navy that you can start cancelling those "protection" agreements, at first fending off the pirates, then destroy any ships that make it into your space, then you find their base and manage to blow it up. It is really satisfying and fun and feels really rewarding.
6: Each playable species has a backstory and a series of story events that are really interesting and make the game as much a story as a strategy game.

The bad:
1: Can be painfully slow paced.
2: Sometimes figuring out how to get your ships to do what you want can be a pain.
3: Research is king, so species with research bonuses have a huge advantage. Ackdarians suck at combat but are great at research. Mortallans suck at research but are great at combat. Ackdarian fleets smash Mortallan fleets due to their tech superiority tho.

The ugly:
1: Still alot of bugs. Not as many as some recent releases, probably about the normal amount for a new game these days, but it is still really frustrating.
2: Nebulae are prevalent to add terrain kinda effects, but mostly are just annoying, and some of the storm ones totally suck as your exploration ships will try and enter, then get stuck and cannot leave, ever.

Overall, a definite 4.5 stars. Much better than Stellaris to my mind, better looking, more complex, but easier to play.

Edit: I will do some screenshots when I load it back up after a short break and post them here.

Commander’s Log
December 11

Something is wrong, very very wrong.

In the last 8 months since XCOM was stood up by the Council of Nations we have made huge strides dealing with the enemy invasion. Probably the greatest weapons at our disposal are embodied in the minds of Dr.’s Valhen and Shen. Their understanding of alien biology and technology have generated advances in our fighting forces that were unimaginable at the beginning. Plasma weaponry, gene mods, and even the new Firestorm space interceptors with directed EMP cannons which can now routinely drop alien spacecraft from orbit are real game changers.

But something is wrong, and Dr. Shen warned me about it before and it appears his warnings, have again, begun to show their merit. The combination of our own Virtual Reality technology coupled with the quantum computing devices that we’ve adapted from alien computers salvaged from their ships has produced results well beyond our dreams. But Shen and Valhan confirmed the quantum computing can be dangerous, true it provides unparalleled power to create simulations and Shen and his team keep adding to the known data based on mission results concerning technology, tactics, weapons, etc. and Valhan’s research into alien phycology, physiology, and technology. But at the quantum level there are forces not only impacting speed and data density, there is an unknown factor of quantum physics impacting time itself.

Alpha Team just returned last night from a strike on the recently discovered Alien Base. Their performance was nothing less than perfect. The new Memetic Skin gene mod that Valhan derived from the alien seekers is a amazing. It advances the squads PNG (Prob-N-Go) tactics so that know the main squad can stay “hunkered down” in a secure location and a single scout can advance with near total invisibility. Allowing the squad to set overwatch traps and pull enemy forces into them and then deliver immense firepower with the new plasma based weapons.

But something is still very wrong. XCOM command, hell even the world after hearing of the assault was jubilant and for the first time we’ve really kicked them in the nuts in a major way. However both Valhan and Shen are apprehensive, warning of possible retaliation actions because we’ve demonstrated the ability to hit them in their strongest planet side location.

This morning I tried some more projections in VR and ran into a bug, a glitch if you will. It was showing me two different projections. Not just the normal variation in scenarios, but two completely different and unexpected possibilities. One in which XCOM continued to progress and gain ultimate victory and security for our planet from the invaders. The other though is very disturbing. It shows the aliens doing – well – something that changes the outcome in which XCOM doesn’t survive, and therefore neither does the Earth as we know it. I showed Dr. Shen and he called it a Nexus Event, something predicted in the math based on the quantum computing chaos theory involving time. At the Nexus Event it is possible for the timeline to diverge into different outcomes, essentially making two realities from that point forward. One in which we win, one – I’ve been calling it a Dark Event in my head - in which something happens to me and not only am I lost but we lose the war. But because it’s a Nexus Event the details are incomplete, fuzzy, almost as if the simulations can’t resolve themselves into coherent patterns.

Dr. Shen has warned of a response to the alien base assault and I concur. As I result, I’m ordering XCOM to be maintained at the highest level of alert for now. Delta, Bravo, and Charlie Teams will be rotating response teams. The active team will remain suited up and fully armed ready for immediate action. Dr. Valhen will work with Alpha team volunteers on expanding the incorporation of gene mods into that squad to enhance their capabilities. In addition I’ve ordered non-essential support staff and associated families to disperse away from the facility. Something is coming, I know not what.

I’ve left an encrypted file for Central Officer Bradford with instructions in case something happens to me to be opened only upon my death and the current XCOM project goes south. Bradford can be an annoying twit, but he’s a good man and has strong leadership potential. Push comes to shove I have no doubts in his ability to step forward and do what needs to be done. He’ll be on his own because I won’t be around to help with the big decisions anymore. Our current mode is a single unified command structure based on central support and highly mobile strike teams. If XCOM Central is taken out, the effort will have to shift to long term guerilla war tactics as a resistance movement resulting from the Dark Event side of the Nexus, I can’t give him detailed plans, he’ll be on his own. But I hope my thoughts help, for humanities sake.

They say the night is always darkest before the dawn, here is praying we live to see the dawn.

Commander out.

Last edited:
Elden Ring first impressions:

1: Controls suck. Some games can figure out how to make control schemes that work for consoles and computers. This is not one of them. During a fight, having to drop the mouse to use the arrow keys is just wrong.
2: Graphics are superb!
3: Story has a ton of potential
4: I suck at third person action games.

Currently helping my niece play through Elden Ring. I was never really much of a gamer myself, but I've played the odd Zelda game here and there. As well as playing some Dark Souls when I was in college. So I'm no stranger to something from that sort of developer.

1: Controls suck. Some games can figure out how to make control schemes that work for consoles and computers. This is not one of them. During a fight, having to drop the mouse to use the arrow keys is just wrong.

Haven't played Elden Ring, although it's on my future acquisitions list. But I did play Dark Souls from the same author. In Dark Souls Keyboard/Mouse sucked, it was meant to be played on a controller. I know one person that said they used Keyboard/Mouse for normal menus/travel/exploration and only used a controller for battle. But most people, I think, just used a controller. Controller provides more fluid movement and camera control in the heat of battle.

WW

Darkest dungeon was a lot of fun for me but it became really hard to juggle so many heroes with the crimson curse and other maladies that eventually i couldnt get to the bosses anymore. Fortunately i got a lot of extra heroes through mods. Fortunately i was able to beat the sleeper final boss in the farmstead with 86 damage hit from a jester’s finale :D

Reactions: PoS
Haven't played Elden Ring, although it's on my future acquisitions list. But I did play Dark Souls from the same author. In Dark Souls Keyboard/Mouse sucked, it was meant to be played on a controller. I know one person that said they used Keyboard/Mouse for normal menus/travel/exploration and only used a controller for battle. But most people, I think, just used a controller. Controller provides more fluid movement and camera control in the heat of battle.

WW
Well, is Souls games a controller might give better control, but in any game that puts literally any effort into making usable mouse/keyboard controls, they are superior. Mouselook turning is vastly more controllable than controller joystick thingies, a keyboard has many more keys to bind functions to, and so on.

Darkest dungeon was a lot of fun for me but it became really hard to juggle so many heroes with the crimson curse and other maladies that eventually i couldnt get to the bosses anymore. Fortunately i got a lot of extra heroes through mods. Fortunately i was able to beat the sleeper final boss in the farmstead with 86 damage hit from a jester’s finale :D
Congrats. That game was so tough for me I was never able to finish it.

I might check out Elden Ring.
Distant Worlds 2 review:

The good:
1: The UI works well. If you have played thee original Distant Worlds, you will know just how big a deal that is, as the original was a great game with an interface that made it nearly unplayable.
2: Graphics are almost perfect. No, it is not a high end AAA game with lifelike graphics, but everything looks nice. Space battles are dynamic and worth watching, each races ships having unique designs, each weapon looks different, explosions, fighters, missiles, torpedoes, beam weapons, point defense beams, railguns, all zipping away, frequently leading to awesome explosions. Planets have different continents and oceans, and rotate giving night/day, and as an area goes to nightfall, city lights come on and sparkle. It really does look just about as nice as can be.
3: This is a highly complex game, with over 50 different resources, a massive research tree, an incredibly complex economy, and yet it is all easily manageable, and as you learn things more and more, you slowly turn off automation and take control, without ever being overwhelmed. The way they pulled it off is impressive.
4: You find a planet with resources, and order a mining station built there. A construction ship picks up the resources needed to build the station, flies to the location, drones flit about, scaffolding goes up over the frame of the station, and slowly builds the station. Once it is built, the station sends out mining drones to the planet below, you can watch the line of them dropping down and coming back. The mining station slowly fills with resources. Freighters show up, pick up the resources, and haul they to bases and colonies where they are needed. All of this except ordering the base built is outside of player control, as this is all part of the private economy, which you do not control. In fact, if you order more ships or bases built, you have to pay for those resources at market prices to build it, and the money you pay goes into the private economy. The freighters, mining ships, transport ships for tourists, all those are built by the private sector with no input nor control by you. You make your money from taxing the private sector, and them paying to build ships at your shipyards. It is just a glorious system.
5: Pirates. You will at the start run into several pirate factions, each of which is stronger than you. You have no choice but to pay them "protection" each month. Before long, you reach a point where you can build a strong enough navy that you can start cancelling those "protection" agreements, at first fending off the pirates, then destroy any ships that make it into your space, then you find their base and manage to blow it up. It is really satisfying and fun and feels really rewarding.
6: Each playable species has a backstory and a series of story events that are really interesting and make the game as much a story as a strategy game.

The bad:
1: Can be painfully slow paced.
2: Sometimes figuring out how to get your ships to do what you want can be a pain.
3: Research is king, so species with research bonuses have a huge advantage. Ackdarians suck at combat but are great at research. Mortallans suck at research but are great at combat. Ackdarian fleets smash Mortallan fleets due to their tech superiority tho.

The ugly:
1: Still alot of bugs. Not as many as some recent releases, probably about the normal amount for a new game these days, but it is still really frustrating.
2: Nebulae are prevalent to add terrain kinda effects, but mostly are just annoying, and some of the storm ones totally suck as your exploration ships will try and enter, then get stuck and cannot leave, ever.

Overall, a definite 4.5 stars. Much better than Stellaris to my mind, better looking, more complex, but easier to play.

Edit: I will do some screenshots when I load it back up after a short break and post them here.
Sounds interesting, but I'll probably wait for the first round of patches to be released before giving it a go.

Is it worse than master of orion 3?

Have not played Masters of Orion 3(only played the first one, and that a really long time ago).
I would advise staying away from it unless heavily modded. Its the only game in the series that was a disaster. The UI and systems were so bad i couldnt even begin to play it.

When you're sick enough that doing mental work would probably be a bad idea and you decide you'll finally spend some time playing a game....

....and those two days are when the servers keep breaking.

That's something I'm going to have to figure out before I get into Elden Ring. I started playing it but it just doesn't work for a computer and I don't know why the developers can't figure that out. Computers can literally do everything, so it should be much easier to port controls for computer usage than the opposite direction of porting computer games to limited console usage.

That's something I'm going to have to figure out before I get into Elden Ring. I started playing it but it just doesn't work for a computer and I don't know why the developers can't figure that out. Computers can literally do everything, so it should be much easier to port controls for computer usage than the opposite direction of porting computer games to limited console usage.
If I was better at third person action games, the controls might not be such a big deal, but I still die to the control scheme playing it with about 10 hours playtime. Graphics are beautiful tho~

Microsoft Solitaire - Klondike

It's the only thing that keeps me (arguably) sane while on hold with the IRS.

If I was better at third person action games, the controls might not be such a big deal, but I still die to the control scheme playing it with about 10 hours playtime. Graphics are beautiful tho~
I'm not bad at those types of games but the way they have it doesn't work. All they would really need to do is make it so you could steer with, like normal. I'm going to look up control settings to try and figure this out.

This helped a little. Still doesn't give you proper mouse steering though.

Back
Top Bottom