• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black man kicked out of yogurt shop says police and store apologies aren't enough

Correct, if he were white they wouldn't have called the cops.

Maybe you wouldn't have called the police on a white guy, only a black guy. That does not mean others share your view of black people.

Obviously the black man is an extreme racist and bigot who hates Latinos and wants all of them run out of the city. He should be fired with government work given his extreme racism against Latinos. He also should expelled from the university he is attending and banned from every having an psychologist license.

Clearly he would have ordered something, other than he is such an extreme hate mongering racist he refuses to do business with any Latino owned business. There is no other explanation for his conduct then and afterwards other than his rabid racist hatred of Latinos.

If that's your experience and you're white then I can only assume there's something uniquely threatening or unhygenic about you or your behavior that separates my experiences from yours.

what does race have to do with a person who is trespassing?

you went from whining to the race card.

alt left radicals are running out of ammunition these days

Yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test. At least certainly not with the information you provided.

That's only because incidents of white people being asked to leave establishments is never/rarely in the news and certainly doesn't blow up like it does when a black patron is involved. Consequently, you assume it only happens to black individuals and never happens to white individuals.

Of course, it happens to white individuals and has actually happened to my friend and I while waiting for a parent in a snow storm.

I don't recall whining. Nobody called the cops on me just for sitting somewhere. Every time I go to a restaurant just to hang out because I'm waiting for something I order a cup of coffee. And if I didn't order something then my expectation is they'd ask me to leave. Calling the cops on me as a first course of action seems bizarre to me.

Do you also refuse to order something if the business is owned by a Latino like that black racist?

Mr. Cruz should change his name to Smith and then maybe the black racists against Latinos will stop threatening and harassing him.

Remember, this is Democratic Seattle and the racism of some on the left against Latinos is well known. In fact, we learned in the Martin-Zimmerman case that hatred of Latinos is so great many believe blacks should be able to attack and beat Latinos to death.

youre using your privilege to assume you can just sit in any establishment without facing the consequences. callin the police is the smart move to make because it negates having a potential violent conversation with a criminal.

Criminal? What, being black?
Good luck trying to push your 'trespassing' narrative in court. If the sign says 'open' everyone's invited. Nobody is trespassing until they refuse to order anything and refuse to leave.

cops said the worker(s) were worried that we were up to no good. Had the worker(s) asked, we easily could have told him that our car broke down and we were just waiting for a ride from my friend's dad and didn't want to wait outside in the cold and snow. We told the cops that, but they still told us we had to wait outside. I didn't realize that meant we might be eligible to take the owner's business. Shrug.

The man was there to do his job. He was appointed to supervise a court sanctioned visit between the mother and her son. If they weren't so worried and scared they could have simply asked him if he wanted to order anything and work up to asking why he's there if he doesn't want to order anything. Simple, right? What made him so scary? The fact that he was black?

If I sat in a restaurant and didn't order anything, I would expect a waiter or manager to eventually approach me and ask if there's anything I'd like to order. And if I said no, I'd expect them to politely (but firmly) inform me that they're a business for paying customers, and that if I don't order anything then I should go. What I would not expect is for them to call the cops on me as a first step. The notion that that would happen to me is crazypants.

Your approach is eminently sensible and that is what should have happened.

What made him so scary? The fact that he was black?

The fact they've been robbed in the past. That he keeps staring at that other table as if waiting to find out when they will leave and he will be alone in the yogurt shop by himself and the two girls. The fact that they were two females and he is a male. I am confident they don't call cops on all black men that come in, so that wouldn't have been it.

You dont know that.

But in your OP you just said that you would know:

Had the man been white, no issues with the staff calling the cops to ask the man to move along and we never would have even heard of the incident.

You are positively dripping in irony, aren't you.

Last edited:
In fact, we learned in the Martin-Zimmerman case that hatred of Latinos is so great many believe blacks should be able to attack and beat Latinos to death.

Wow, the bubble really provides a powerful shield against reality these days, eh!

cops said the worker(s) were worried that we were up to no good. Had the worker(s) asked, we easily could have told him that our car broke down and we were just waiting for a ride from my friend's dad and didn't want to wait outside in the cold and snow. We told the cops that, but they still told us we had to wait outside. I didn't realize that meant we might be eligible to take the owner's business. Shrug.

That's OK buck, apparently you're ignorant about some of the racism in your country. I've discovered you are not alone in this regard.

Here is a link to numerous published peer reviewed studies about Trump supporters:

Research Finds That Racism, Sexism, and Status Fears Drove Trump Voters

Interestingly enough, based on Trump's campaign strategy, he believes these studies about his base because when he wanted to energize his base, he based his campaign on energizing cowardly racists.

That's OK buck, apparently you're ignorant about some of the racism in your country. I've discovered you are not alone in this regard.

Here is a link to numerous published peer reviewed studies about Trump supporters:

Research Finds That Racism, Sexism, and Status Fears Drove Trump Voters

Interestingly enough, based on Trump's campaign strategy, he believes these studies about his base because when he wanted to energize his base, he based his campaign on energizing cowardly racists.

Just because racism exists, doesn't mean that anything impacting against black man is racist.

Try suggesting to the “ manager or owner “ of a black convieniance store they place a checker board on one of their tables. The cops will be called on you quickly. Unless you are black that is.

If I sat in a restaurant and didn't order anything, I would expect a waiter or manager to eventually approach me and ask if there's anything I'd like to order. And if I said no, I'd expect them to politely (but firmly) inform me that they're a business for paying customers, and that if I don't order anything then I should go. What I would not expect is for them to call the cops on me as a first step. The notion that that would happen to me is crazypants.

I actually agree with that. But according to the story, the owner wasnt there that day and the all girl staff were afraid to approach him. So the owner had them call the cops. Seems reasonable to me.

Just because racism exists, doesn't mean that anything impacting against black man is racist.

Well yeah, if Trump is correct, and a large part of his base are racists, then it follows that this will impact black men.

That's only because incidents of white people being asked to leave establishments is never/rarely in the news and certainly doesn't blow up like it does when a black patron is involved. Consequently, you assume it only happens to black individuals and never happens to white individuals.

Of course, it happens to white individuals and has actually happened to my friend and I while waiting for a parent in a snow storm.

Was calling the police on you the restaurant's first course of action? Did they speak with you first? Explain in detail the circumstances behind them calling the police on you.

I actually agree with that. But according to the story, the owner wasnt there that day and the all girl staff were afraid to approach him. So the owner had them call the cops. Seems reasonable to me.

So just another case of White Privilege, or lack thereof, of course, if you're not White.

Was calling the police on you the restaurant's first course of action? Did they speak with you first? Explain in detail the circumstances behind them calling the police on you.

It was a convenience store in a nice area. They did not speak to us. They called the cops and the cops asked us to leave. I was a skinny 15 year old, and my friend was 17.

Last edited:
Well yeah, if Trump is correct, and a large part of his base are racists, then it follows that this will impact black men.

Were these two girls trump supporters?

Trump's an idiot. So, the chances of him being correct are slim.

It was a convenience store in a nice area. They did not speak to me. They called the cops and the cops asked me to leave.

That's not very detailed, but I do wonder what the "nice area" part has to do with it. Were you incompatible with a "nice area" for some reason?

But in your OP you just said that you would know:

You are positively dripping in irony, aren't you.

Not really. Cops are called on white people and those white people are asked to leave fairly often. Often those instances do not make the news, but every so often they do. When they do, they do not become big national issues with big conversations around them.

Not really. Cops are called on white people and those white people are asked to leave fairly often. Often those instances do not make the news, but every so often they do. When they do, they do not become big national issues with big conversations around them.

The reason we're dubious isn't because we don't see it in the news but because having the cops called on us as a first course of action for just sitting there is completely outside the realm of our personal experiences, both for ourselves and for everybody we know.

That's not very detailed, but I do wonder what the "nice area" part has to do with it. Were you incompatible with a "nice area" for some reason?

What details do you want? My friend and I were driving near his house. He got stuck in the snow and we couldn't get out. We walked to the store, used the pay phone to call his dad and his dad was going to pick us up. It was cold and snowing out, so while waiting, we just browsed through the store (candy, videos, etc). Next thing I know a cop showed up, talked to the worker. I didn't think much of it, until the cop approached us and told us we had to leave the store as the worker thought we were up to no good. We explained to the cop what occurred and he said we still had to leave.
So, we left the store, waited in the parking lot for his dad who arrived within 10 minutes. He had some cat litter and a shovel to help us get out. First time I had ever heard of using cat litter to get out of snow, but it worked.

I really just assumed you would assume that there might be a lot of crime in the area to explain why the worker was worried, which there wasn't. That is the only reason I mentioned that it was a nice area. It's in the area that I lived and grew up.

Back
Top Bottom