• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black Bloc spreads to Egypt

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Black Bloc, a new Egyptian anarchist group, made its first appearance last week, on the eve of the second anniversary of the 25 January 2011 revolution. With a declared aim of fighting the Muslim Brotherhood, it has drawn a lot of mainstream criticism.

The group appears to be drawing inspiration from European Black Bloc protesters, using the same tactics first seen in Germany in the 1970s and more recently at anti-globalization protests.
Internationally, Black Bloc members dress all in black, concealing their faces and often resort to violence. Tuesday Link.

In Cairo on Tuesday police again fired tear gas at protesters near Tahrir Square, and the lobby of a major hotel close to the square was attacked, apparently by looters.

The clashes also prompted Egypt's public prosecutor to call for the arrests of a newly-formed anarchist group known as the Black Bloc.
Its black-clad members have been at the vanguard of the latest protests in Cairo. According to its Facebook page, the group is opposed only to the Muslim Brotherhood - the powerful Islamist group of which President Morsi is a member. Wednesday Link.

Never made my mind up about Black Bloc, something in me admires their direct opposition to an Islamist government but this development in Egypt will definitely be interesting.

Never made my mind up about Black Bloc, something in me admires their direct opposition to an Islamist government but this development in Egypt will definitely be interesting.

do you support the activities of the muslim brotherhood?

do you support the activities of the muslim brotherhood?

No, I don't. I'm just interested that an anarchist European origin group seems to have spread to a muslim country. A real clash of ideology in my opinion.

No, I don't. I'm just interested that an anarchist European origin group seems to have spread to a muslim country. A real clash of ideology in my opinion.

so, is the enemy of my enemy my friend?

Black Bloc must die, say Jihad and Jama'a al-Islamiya

The Islamist party of the Jihad Organization and Jama'a al-Islamiya has said the ways of dealing with banditry specified in the Quran must be applied to Black Bloc members, which means they must be killed.

“God orders us to kill, crucify or cut off the hands and feet of those who spread mischief on earth,” said Jama'a al-Islamiya Mufti Abdel Akhar Hammad, citing a verse from the Quran. “The president must give that order.”

Mohamed Samra of the Jihad Organization said that the Black Bloc group is financed from abroad and must be killed, and that the National Salvation Front members must be arrested and charged with incitement to riot. Link

Four suspected members have been arrested recently but some must feel very threatened to publicly call for the death penalty for Black Bloc members.

Black bloc isnt a "group", its more of a tactic.
But i support Black bloc tactics when justified, and this time these tactics are justified against the Egyptian authorities.

Black bloc isnt a "group", its more of a tactic.
But i support Black bloc tactics when justified, and this time these tactics are justified against the Egyptian authorities.

To label Black Bloc simply as anarchists is wrong, as is labeling AntiFa as Black Block - I think "group" is just as valid as "tactic" although I've seen no evidence of an organised leadership or party / group structure. I've also debated some Black Bloc members on another site who speak of themselves very much as a "group."

I'm pretty sure that the concept has been imported in Egypt by the people of Egypt and not some European group is behind it.

I'm pretty sure that the concept has been imported in Egypt by the people of Egypt and not some European group is behind it.

Oh I accept that, it would be difficult to foster Black Bloc ideals from outside a culture. It's the cultural clash I'm interested in - an Islamist state with a growing anarchist and anti Islamist political movement challenging the status quo / norm. Predictably, the Iranians have tried claiming that Israel was behind the growth of Black Bloc in Egypt.

Oh I accept that, it would be difficult to foster Black Bloc ideals from outside a culture. It's the cultural clash I'm interested in - an Islamist state with a growing anarchist and anti Islamist political movement challenging the status quo / norm. Predictably, the Iranians have tried claiming that Israel was behind the growth of Black Bloc in Egypt.

On another forum Egyptians seem to have been finding the situation quite scary. Infinite regardless of your feeling about the muslim brotherhood, given that they won the election and the vote on the constitution, do you not think there is something to be said for going with things and voting for someone else at the next election and not crying because you chose not to vote and didn't like what you got?

On another forum Egyptians seem to have been finding the situation quite scary. Infinite regardless of your feeling about the muslim brotherhood, given that they won the election and the vote on the constitution, do you not think there is something to be said for going with things and voting for someone else at the next election and not crying because you chose not to vote and didn't like what you got?

Good point Alexa, it's not an easily defined situation though because many of the protestors who swept Mubarrk from power were women and other protestors who now have begun to feel that their voices and wishes have been abandoned. People protested for a new Egypt but what they are getting seems (to them) another version of the old repressive state but this time based on religious rather than military ideals and power.

I also suppose if they feel their lives have not improved, then there is nothing to lose by protesting right now rather than wait while the Islamists dig themselves in and possibly re-write the constitution to suit their own desires.

Good point Alexa, it's not an easily defined situation though because many of the protestors who swept Mubarrk from power were women and other protestors who now have begun to feel that their voices and wishes have been abandoned. People protested for a new Egypt but what they are getting seems (to them) another version of the old repressive state but this time based on religious rather than military ideals and power.

But that is felt by both sides. There is a feeling that the protestors are Mubarrak supporters and that he is so infiltrated through society that it is difficult to get change. The MB's thing of trying to change the judiciary was because of this and I suspect this may be true. I think the MB won the election because they have been caring for the poor all the time. Yes, it is not an ideal constitution but it also is not that bad - with a few change of words to safeguard this and that it could be OK. They just seem to be messing themselves up at the moment and I cannot see how that is in the interest of anyone except maybe the army or Mubarrak supporters.
I also suppose if they feel their lives have not improved, then there is nothing to lose by protesting right now rather than wait while the Islamists dig themselves in and possibly re-write the constitution to suit their own desires.

There lives cannot change if they are in persistent turmoil. You cannot build anything on that. In all fairness the MB hasn't been given a chance. They are not giving their own system of democracy a chance. I think it is good that the secular ones have made their position clear but I think they should have voted. When they are offered talks, they just seem to say 'no' and cause destruction. I don't think I have heard anything about the MB wanting to rewrite their new, democratically accepted by two thirds constitution.

Really I think it is hard to know what is going on from the outside and probably just about as hard from the inside!;)

-- There is a feeling that the protestors are Mubarrak supporters --

Equally, there have been accusations in Iranian media that they are a Mossad ruse.

-- In all fairness the MB hasn't been given a chance.

It seems Mohammed Morsi's antics may not endear the Muslim Brotherhood to all in Egypt except the Islamists. Personally, I'd rather have Black Bloc there than the Islamists.

Equally, there have been accusations in Iranian media that they are a Mossad ruse.

and some in Egypt who think that it is Al Qaeda. Like I said it seems difficult for people to understand what is going on even when they live there.

It seems Mohammed Morsi's antics may not endear the Muslim Brotherhood to all in Egypt except the Islamists. Personally, I'd rather have Black Bloc there than the Islamists.

You have of course every right to want whatever government you wish in Egypt. I just wish the Egyptians and/or the World would accept their democratic decision. There does seem to be a generally held belief that there is outside interference. Would you agree with that?

Back
Top Bottom