• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bill OReilly

timbo

New member
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I admire Bill O reilly hes intelligent, well spoken
and a clear thinker.
One of his main themes is that the liberal media
ie terrestrial TV the new york times etc
are in full control of everything
he is a conservative voice coming at things from a different
angle he is like a voice in the wilderness.
I had Fox News here in UK on satellite for a while
I often used it just as audio while I surfed the net.
At least Fox news has an identity
CNN just feels like nothing its meaningless waffle
a bit like the BBC over here its got that bad
I dont even listen to it any more
BBC is a main terrestrial TV channel over here
ITV is the other nationwide terrestriial TV channel

we learned a couple of weeks ago that Uncle Ted Turner
was thinking of buying ITV
He d probably turn it in to a UK version of CNN
so we d then have waffle from both sides of the air ways.

I wish there was a free audio feed of Fox news on the web
somewhere
I kinda miss Bill at 1 am and Cavuto at 10 pm

Bill used to be a teacher before he went into journalism
its scary how many of the Fox front men are ex teachers
I guess they re all on a power trip !! broadcasting to the planet !!
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
11,971
Reaction score
6,080
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Tony Snow used to be a teacher as well.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
vauge said:
Tony Snow used to be a teacher as well.

I just wanna see Kiran Chetry & Lauren Green kiss....
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by timbo:
admire Bill O reilly hes intelligent, well spoken
and a clear thinker.
One of his main themes is that the liberal media
ie terrestrial TV the new york times etc
are in full control of everything
he is a conservative voice coming at things from a different
angle he is like a voice in the wilderness.
I had Fox News here in UK on satellite for a while
I often used it just as audio while I surfed the net.
At least Fox news has an identity
Bill O'Reilly is just a little White House bitch! Just like that punk-ass Hannity! I just heard O'Reilly today condoning torture. Saying he "...doesn't care about the terrorists at GITMO..." and that "...if he had his way he would have executed them a long time ago." Only problem is, since none of them have been brought to trial, or had due process of law, which is something this country is supposed to be all about, we don't know if they are terrorists at all. And we won't, unless they go thru the judicial process.

I hate it when he says "...most Americans would agree with me..." Now how the f___ does he know! Has he talked to over a 100,000,000 people? He's propaganda. He's just like the guys in Weimar, Germany. If I had my way, I'd give him 10 consecutive life terms.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Billo_Really said:
Bill O'Reilly is just a little White House bitch! Just like that punk-ass Hannity! I just heard O'Reilly today condoning torture. Saying he "...doesn't care about the terrorists at GITMO..." and that "...if he had his way he would have executed them a long time ago." Only problem is, since none of them have been brought to trial, or had due process of law, which is something this country is supposed to be all about, we don't know if they are terrorists at all. And we won't, unless they go thru the judicial process.
I hate it when he says "...most Americans would agree with me..." Now how the f___ does he know! Has he talked to over a 100,000,000 people? He's propaganda. He's just like the guys in Weimar, Germany. If I had my way, I'd give him 10 consecutive life terms.
Without going through the same judicial process you want to give to the terrorists?

You heard it here folks....

Give the terrorists judicial process before conviction & sentencing...

Give Bill O'Reilly a conviction & sentencing without a judicial process....

I don't think this is, what you say, "this country is supposed to be all about".
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by cnredd:
Without going through the same judicial process you want to give to the terrorists?

You heard it here folks....

Give the terrorists judicial process before conviction & sentencing...

Give Bill O'Reilly a conviction & sentencing without a judicial process....

I don't think this is, what you say, "this country is supposed to be all about".
Would you say this to an eye-witness at a murder trial. That they didn't see what they saw until the trial was over! That makes no sense.
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
I recently got Fox News since I switched to satellite TV. Unfortunatly, I keep confusing it with The Comedy Channel, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

I almost went into convulsions when I first watched... my eyes were constantly rolling in the back of my head. Hannity, O'Reilly, Colmes et al are not reporters. They're a bunch of windbags with an agenda. Frankly, besides the gore, I see little difference between Fox News and Al-Jezeera. It's unfortunate that so many Americans are getting sucked into it.

I've been searching hard for a decent and fair right-leaning outlet without much luck. I listen to a local right-wing show every weekday morning, but the host is another neocon windbag who I'm getting sick of. Where can I find someone decent?
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
I watched O'Reilly for the first time on the night of 7th July, the night of the London attacks - I was curious to see what he was like.

I could only watch it for 20 minutes before I switched over in disgust. It actually made me feel physically sick (maybe we're aren't used to pure opinionated bias like that in the UK). How they call themselves Fair and Balanced is laughable, absolutely laughable.
Even Sky news in UK, which is owned by murdoch as well and Sky's conservative bias is nowhere near as obvious or as shocking as Fox News.

They even just asking what military operation the UK should do in response to 7th July. WHAT THE HELL! WE'RE IN ONE MISTER O'REILLY! ONE THAT IS NOT GOING WELL! (Sorry I'm just *****d off thinking about it.)

Why is it called Fox "News"? It's not a news network. It should be called Fox Political Entertainment Channel.

It's sickening, absolutely sickening.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Bill is great, while I don't always agree with him, and he can be very controlling while on air, he still makes more sense then most. People will always hate him for his smug attitude, but the guy has the right to be smug, he has accomplished some great things for Fox, and for himself of course. This is another reason people want to critize him so much, because he is so successful, and that just steams those who so often disagree with him.

Heck, some folks even feel the need to deface his picture in avatars and signatures.:rofl
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Deegan said:
Bill is great, while I don't always agree with him, and he can be very controlling while on air, he still makes more sense then most. People will always hate him for his smug attitude, but the guy has the right to be smug, he has accomplished some great things for Fox, and for himself of course. This is another reason people want to critize him so much, because he is so successful, and that just steams those who so often disagree with him.

Heck, some folks even feel the need to deface his picture in avatars and signatures.:rofl
Nah I'm sorry, I don't know how sucessful he his or what he has done. But the childish insults he does as well, he thinks that everyone is wrong BUT him, which is not good for a journalist, the way he twists the facts, the way he attacks other newspapers and news channels. I never have never seen such utter biasism ( I'd like to state I've never watch CNN or any other American news channels - just Fox a few times.)
In the UK you would never get such outward and disgusting biasism.
However the way the BBC conducts its interviews with politicans makes Bill O'Reilly look like a ***** cat in comparison. Jeremy Paxman could kick O'Reilly's arse! (Only UK people know him).
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Deegan said:
Bill is great, while I don't always agree with him, and he can be very controlling while on air, he still makes more sense then most. People will always hate him for his smug attitude, but the guy has the right to be smug, he has accomplished some great things for Fox, and for himself of course. This is another reason people want to critize him so much, because he is so successful, and that just steams those who so often disagree with him.

Heck, some folks even feel the need to deface his picture in avatars and signatures.:rofl
Speaking for myself, his success has nothing to do with the fact that I think he's useless. What has he done other then voice is own opinion? If your cup of tea is Springer-style news (and it appears that to some, that's the case), then good for you. Opinion is not important to me... truth and facts are.

I pity the person who solely relies on Fox News. What I've seen on Fox News has mostly a complete different twist then what I've seen or read from other outlets. Frankly, a station that has to constantly remind it's viewers that it's "Fair & Balanced" strikes me as funny. As far as O'Reilly... well... "No Spin Zone" my a$$! Tag lines and fancy graphics are so critical when reporting the news, LOL.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Middleground said:
Speaking for myself, his success has nothing to do with the fact that I think he's useless. What has he done other then voice is own opinion? If your cup of tea is Springer-style news (and it appears that to some, that's the case), then good for you. Opinion is not important to me... truth and facts are.

I pity the person who solely relies on Fox News. What I've seen on Fox News has mostly a complete different twist then what I've seen or read from other outlets. Frankly, a station that has to constantly remind it's viewers that it's "Fair & Balanced" strikes me as funny. As far as O'Reilly... well... "No Spin Zone" my a$$! Tag lines and fancy graphics are so critical when reporting the news, LOL.

Of coursed it's biased, it's his show, his rules, and his opinions!

If you don't like the show, don't watch, but know that this show has enjoyed the highest ratings of any show of it's kind. This tells me that more then a few people enjoy, and or agree with his opinions, and he makes no bones about it, it's strictly his opinions. He simply states the facts of a current news story, then gives his opinion, coupled with the opinion of a voice from the opposing side. I just don't get what gets so many O'riled(hehehe)up about that. I mean, it's done all the time in the opposite fashion, for instance, Keith Oberman is very anti-Bush, anti-right, and not a peep about his show. It's because he's defending the underdog, and Bill is backing the current admin. This will all fip-flop one day, or maybe not, not the way the Democrats are going these days.:mrgreen:
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by galenrox:
Hannity is worse, because not only does he appeal to that side of people, but he holds even more moronic positions on the issues,
You forgot how arrogant that SOB is! That guy is disgusting. I'd love to run into him in a bar after I've had a couple of beers.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
galenrox said:
they're all ****ing pricks, and Comes is nothing but a house nigger.
I can't believe you wrote that....that is disgusting and prejudicial!!!!

His name is "Colmes"....write it correct next time....:2razz:
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Deegan said:
Of coursed it's biased, it's his show, his rules, and his opinions!
Does he, or does he not call it "a fair and balanced spin free zone"? Frankly, I can't stand the hypocracy. If he represented himself as what you described, then I would have less of a problem with him and his show.

If you don't like the show, don't watch, but know that this show has enjoyed the highest ratings of any show of it's kind. This tells me that more then a few people enjoy, and or agree with his opinions
I've only watched out of curiosity. Trust me when I say that I will not be one who'll boost his ratings. Frankly, I though Americans were more with it and smarter. Let's just hope that they are only tuning in for entertainment value rather than getting their fix of news.

and he makes no bones about it, it's strictly his opinions.
Really?

He simply states the facts of a current news story, then gives his opinion, coupled with the opinion of a voice from the opposing side. I just don't get what gets so many O'riled(hehehe)up about that.
Because his guest are there merely as pawns. The "opposite" view is merely a token. As soon as they state something that he's not in accordance, then the $hit hits the fans. That's not allowing the other side to really express themselves.

Good pun.

I mean, it's done all the time in the opposite fashion, for instance, Keith Oberman is very anti-Bush, anti-right, and not a peep about his show. It's because he's defending the underdog, and Bill is backing the current admin. This will all fip-flop one day, or maybe not, not the way the Democrats are going these days.:mrgreen:
I don't know anything about Keith Oberman. Is he on CNN or MSNBC?

All I can say, is that if he has the same style as O'Reiley, then I would be equally disgusted with his show.
 

ILikeDubyah

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
Location
Phx
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I like Bill, though he seems to be pretty full of himself most of the time. I do like him though. I own all of his books & TIVO him every night. We agree on most things, but not all the time. ALSO, when you're the highest rated news show on cable TV, I think at that point, you're only "looking out for" your paycheck...I do like him though, and I find him insightful & entertaining.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Middleground said:
Does he, or does he not call it "a fair and balanced spin free zone"? Frankly, I can't stand the hypocracy. If he represented himself as what you described, then I would have less of a problem with him and his show.



I've only watched out of curiosity. Trust me when I say that I will not be one who'll boost his ratings. Frankly, I though Americans were more with it and smarter. Let's just hope that they are only tuning in for entertainment value rather than getting their fix of news.



Really?



Because his guest are there merely as pawns. The "opposite" view is merely a token. As soon as they state something that he's not in accordance, then the $hit hits the fans. That's not allowing the other side to really express themselves.

Good pun.



I don't know anything about Keith Oberman. Is he on CNN or MSNBC?

All I can say, is that if he has the same style as O'Reiley, then I would be equally disgusted with his show.
Well it is just that, in your face discussion, that people are flocking to see. I think it is fair and balanced, as he always allows the other perspective the last word. True he knocks their views, but then again, that's what sells, and probably what keeps you and I coming here. So I guess we all have to take a look at ourselves, and how we so often do the very things we don't like, and see in others. Bill is an aquired taste though, no doubt about it, but I enjoy it sometimes.;)
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
ILikeDubyah said:
I like Bill, though he seems to be pretty full of himself most of the time. I do like him though. I own all of his books & TIVO him every night. We agree on most things, but not all the time. ALSO, when you're the highest rated news show on cable TV, I think at that point, you're only "looking out for" your paycheck...I do like him though, and I find him insightful & entertaining.
Well of course you agree, that's what he's tellin' you, damn it!!! :smile:
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Deegan said:
Well it is just that, in your face discussion, that people are flocking to see. I think it is fair and balanced, as he always allows the other perspective the last word. True he knocks their views, but then again, that's what sells, and probably what keeps you and I coming here. So I guess we all have to take a look at ourselves, and how we so often do the very things we don't like, and see in others. Bill is an aquired taste though, no doubt about it, but I enjoy it sometimes.;)
That's what I was afraid of. My friend, you've drank the kool aid. (see bold emphasis)

That's okay, though... you come off as well-spoken and intelligent, so there's still hope for ya. ;)
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
BTW, I know some inside scoop of something that happened on his show. I'm still debating whether to post the story. All I'll say for now is that, most likely, Mr. O'Reilly does not believe half the stuff he says.

Sorry for being such a tease.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Middleground said:
That's what I was afraid of. My friend, you've drank the kool aid. (see bold emphasis)

That's okay, though... you come off as well-spoken and intelligent, so there's still hope for ya. ;)

Explain how it's not fair and balanced?

First, fair.......fair to me is allowing another point of view, giving the opposing side their opportunity to speak their mind. Now, balanced, the balance comes from allowing the same opposition the stage, the chance to convince the viewers their opinions are worth a listen, and maybe even find they agree. Just because he has control of the process, and that it is his show, that does not mean it can't be described as "fair and balanced" This show works in degree's, there are degree's of fairness, and degree's of balance. The balance may often tip in his favor, but it is still there, thus making him correct in his assertion that the show is what he claims it to be.

As to the kool-aid......you have been watching more of Bill then you would like to admit, or have us believe.:mrgreen:
 

ILikeDubyah

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
Location
Phx
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Middleground said:
Well of course you agree, that's what he's tellin' you, damn it!!! :smile:

?????? Don't follow....are you saying I've been brainwashed? If so, why would they brainwash me into agreeing only 75%, or so, of the time?
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Deegan said:
Explain how it's not fair and balanced?
Ah, you forgot spin free too! :lol:

Gosh, where do I begin. Well, for starters, O'Reilley could shut his big fat trap. Do you honestly believe he's as in tune as the experts he interviews? Could he possibly research in detail all the topics that he covers? It would be kinda like me explaining the theory of relativity to a rocket scientist, I think. For me, in order to get a fair and balanced perspective, I would want two experts on both ends of the spectrum to give me their expert take. I would then expect O'Reilly to ask important, pertinant and non-partisan questions to each expert. Even after it's done, I would then not want O'Reilly to give me his opinion on who's right. I would leave that to myself to figure out.

First, fair.......fair to me is allowing another point of view, giving the opposing side their opportunity to speak their mind.
I agree, as long as it's experts on different sides of the spectrum. Not O'Reilley vs. and expert neo-con or liberal.

Now, balanced, the balance comes from allowing the same opposition the stage, the chance to convince the viewers their opinions are worth a listen, and maybe even find they agree.
Again, I don't disagree. Yet it's not a regular occurence on The Factor. Not from what I've seen, nor what I've read, nor what I've heard. If it's someone that he strongly disagrees with, he won't let them finish. If it's someone that has made him look bad, he then blows made-up facts and/or statistics from his ass. He interviewed a reporter from Canada who wrote a column that was about letting the American military deserters stay in Canada. Here is just one fabrication:

O'REILLY: Now if the [Canadian] government -- if your government harbors these two deserter [sic], doesn't send them back ... there will be a boycott of your country which will hurt your country enormously. France is now feeling that sting.

MALLICK: I don't think for a moment such a boycott would take place because we are your biggest trading partners.

O'REILLY: No, it will take place, madam. In France ...

MALLICK: I don't think that your French boycott has done too well ...

O'REILLY: ...they've lost billions of dollars in France according to "The Paris Business Review."

MALLICK: I think that's nonsense.

Media Matters for America found no evidence of a publication named "The Paris Business Review." A Google.com search revealed no mentions of "Paris Business Review," "Revue des Affaires de Paris," or any similar French name. A LexisNexis search for "Paris," "France," or "French" within five words of "business review" produced no relevant results. There is a journal called "European Business Review," which is published in England; however, over the past two years, "European Business Review" has not mentioned an American boycott of France.

Furthermore, contrary to O'Reilly's claim that France has lost "billions of dollars" due to an American boycott, American imports from France have actually increased since international tensions with France began in the months prior to the start of the war in Iraq in March 2003. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in February 2004, the United States imported $2.26 billion in French goods and services, up from $2.18 billion in February 2002.


*Now I know that Media Matters is a partisan site, but facts are facts. You can check them out yourself by Googling.

Just because he has control of the process, and that it is his show, that does not mean it can't be described as "fair and balanced"
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Sure, it's is his show, and he can do what he pleases. With the exception, of course, of calling it fair (now that's what I would call a spin!). He has an agenda, it could not be more obvious.

This show works in degree's, there are degree's of fairness, and degree's of balance. The balance may often tip in his favor, but it is still there, thus making him correct in his assertion that the show is what he claims it to be.
Huh? I think you've been spun too much! ;)

As to the kool-aid......you have been watching more of Bill then you would like to admit, or have us believe.:mrgreen:
LOL. I just hope my fascination does not turn me into a dittohead. Pass the kool-aid, will ya? :cool:
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,066
Reaction score
12,020
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
ILikeDubyah said:
?????? Don't follow....are you saying I've been brainwashed? If so, why would they brainwash me into agreeing only 75%, or so, of the time?
Then that just shows that you think for yourself. That's good, in case you're wondering. ;)
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Middleground said:
O'REILLY: Now if the [Canadian] government -- if your government harbors these two deserter [sic], doesn't send them back ... there will be a boycott of your country which will hurt your country enormously. France is now feeling that sting.

MALLICK: I don't think for a moment such a boycott would take place because we are your biggest trading partners.

O'REILLY: No, it will take place, madam. In France ...

MALLICK: I don't think that your French boycott has done too well ...

O'REILLY: ...they've lost billions of dollars in France according to "The Paris Business Review."

MALLICK: I think that's nonsense.



That's just hilarious, absoultly hilarious. Not only is Canada your biggest trading parnter, it supplies the majority of your oil. lol
O'Reilly talks out of his ass and excretes with his mouth.
 
Top Bottom