• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden announces ban on Russian oil imports, calling it 'Putin's price hike'

Americans are about to find out the hard way just how addicted to foreign oil we are.

Even if we drill-baby-drill in response to this, it's going to be months before domestic wells are up, running, and sending oil to the refineries.

Time to start conserving fuel.
Then we better get started drilling-or we will find ourselves and our allies held hostage by a different despot.

A hundred right wingers on this message board who have been saying Biden should do this are now going to be mad at him over the increase in gas prices.

Actually it was a hundred left wingers who claimed Joe couldn’t do anything at all and were defending the import of Russian oil, even as Putin was using to proceeds to kill Ukrainians.

I am not sold on this decision at all. I think the Biden administration is probably making a mistake chiefly because we are not on the same page as our European allies, there will NOT be a unified effort, but it will hurt Americans by fueling inflation along with virtually every other economic macro-trend post pandemic and it will hit lower income Americans disproportionately, especially those with fixed incomes.

It smacks me as an emotionally based impulsive decision, more than a well thought out one chiefly because there is no unity and I am afraid its going to hurt us more than Russia, and promote divisions between the allies and really screw the working poor here at home more than anyone.

No we should not engage in a implementing a 'no fly zone' and no, we are not obliged to come up with something else to make us collectively feel better about the fact we won't and that is exactly what my gut thinks is going on here. I am persuadable because it does involve economics ( not in my wheelhouse), but I think its a bad call.

Yes, so in a few years gas and oil prices should drop.

I'm not sure that is going to change Russian plans in the short term...
If their economy doesn’t collapse then the bet didn’t pay off that’s what this all is: everything in this world is a bet.

If these sanctions don’t work and Russia is able to continue to take Ukraine, watch for China to take Taiwan watch for India to take their disputed region, watch for the rest of the world to ignore the United States and the West from now on.

that’s the bet that’s going on.

Then we better get started drilling-or we will find ourselves and our allies held hostage by a different despot.
Yeah because we couldn’t ****ing get off of fossil fuels because Republicans were in charge.

I think high gas prices might just be what Republicans need to pay.

Americans are about to find out the hard way just how addicted to foreign oil we are.
Yep. And this November they'll get to choose between the party that has argued for energy independence, or the Democrats.

Yep. And this November they'll get to choose between the party that has argued for energy independence, or the Democrats.
Republicans aren’t for energy independence no matter what you say they aren’t. If they were for energy independence they were also push for renewables and they push for nuclear but they don’t they only push for oil.

Anything else is just propaganda

Okay so we stop the import of Russian oil. I'm sure Putin already factored it in his plans. More than likely Russia is going to just sell those barrels to the Chinese at a discount. And what is going to happen when the Chinese make their move on Taiwan? Are we going to stop importing all products from China in retaliation? Did you know that 90% of our generic drugs are produced in China. And is Apple going to stop producing Iphones in China?
You must not have heard that when China burns oil it does not contribute to globull warming. When we ship manufacturing out of country it does not contribute to globull warming. Only the Americans can save the earth by burning fossil fuel in country. Only America can save the earth by shipping it's recycling to India, where of course it no longer contributes to the planets destruction. Oh.. and all the cows that walk the streets of Delhi do not fart. Just the American cow farts pollute the planet.

Joe now wants us to fund Saudi Arabia and Venezuela through oil imports.

This guy (and/or his "advisors") just doesn't get it

Republicans aren’t for energy independence no matter what you say they aren’t. If they were for energy independence they were also push for renewables and they push for nuclear but they don’t they only push for oil.

Seems the Dems were the ones who aren't for alternatives:

Not true. They also push for coal.

Putin's gas hike? Oh that dog ain't gonna hunt! It's Biden's gas hike and it has been since day one when he was handed energy independence and threw it all away with EO after EO to appease the jihad squad and the climate cultists.
I have no idea how this right wing lie has survived the many curb stompings it has received on this forum. At no point in US history, have we ever been energy independent. Least of all, during trumps administration. Also, the president has no control of oil company production.

At no point in US history, have we ever been energy independent. Least of all, during trumps administration. Also, the president has no control of oil company production.
wrong-trump.gif

Joe now wants us to fund Saudi Arabia and Venezuela through oil imports.

This guy (and/or his "advisors") just doesn't get it
We will need to find a source to replace Russian oil. It’s just dumb to use foreign oil when we have plenty here. Temporarily, yes-but it’s not a permanent solution.
We need to get off fossil fuel. That will take time and will power.

I might have misunderstood this. You are joking, right?

Prior to the pandemic, Pew Research found that Republicans out strip Democrats in supporting nuclear energy.

While disgraced Democrat Governor Cuomo was in the process of closing New York's largest nuclear plant, Florida's Republican governor was reapproving and potentially expanding the state's nuclear power producing capacity.

Last March, Republican lawmakers offered a pathway to cleaner energy partly through advancing the use of nuclear energy.

As for the Democrats, the 2020 election was the first time in 48 years that the Democrat's platform called for nuclear energy.

I have no idea how this right wing lie has survived the many curb stompings it has received on this forum. At no point in US history, have we ever been energy independent. Least of all, during trumps administration. Also, the president has no control of oil company production.
Hmmm...

Even if we drill-baby-drill in response to this, it's going to be months before domestic wells are up, running, and sending oil to the refineries.

Time to start conserving fuel.

He's a baller.

Ummm...Trump took us off the addiction and was drilling in the U.S. and taking Canadian oil. Biden reversed this and now we buy oil and other energy from our enemies. Our enemies see the opportunity to collapse the U.S. economy by driving up the cost of oil. Watch it quickly go to $200/barrel. Currently in my area of California, the price of Arco is $5.59/gallon. If oil goes up to $200/barrel, the price of gas will go up to $9.00/gal for sure! Inflation on all items will also skyrocket, jobs will start to be lost, the poor will be devastated, the rich will get richer, interest rates will skyrocket, a recession and even a depression will follow. Biden has done this because he wants us off fossil fuel. But, he has nothing to replace fossil fuels with and won't for a couple of decades. The poor will become more poor. The middle-class will become poor. Even Elon Musk says for Biden to start drilling again in the 9,000 oil fields shut down by Biden. And, he makes electric cars.

Link?

We didn't need oil when Trump was president. With no coherent national policy, we were all stuck in our homes avoiding covid.

Okay so we stop the import of Russian oil. I'm sure Putin already factored it in his plans. More than likely Russia is going to just sell those barrels to the Chinese at a discount. And what is going to happen when the Chinese make their move on Taiwan? Are we going to stop importing all products from China in retaliation? Did you know that 90% of our generic drugs are produced in China. And is Apple going to stop producing Iphones in China?
Apple shouldn't be producing Iphones in china anyway, but I think watching putin founder in Ukraine and the world's response china might be having some second thoughts.

Gasoline has inelastic demand in the short run and very elastic demand in the long run. This is basic economics and is taught in the same class period.

Even a Community college Economics class covers these things.
Anybody else looking at plug-in electric cars?

Ummm...Trump took us off the addiction and was drilling in the U.S. and taking Canadian oil. Biden reversed this and now we buy oil and other energy from our enemies. Our enemies see the opportunity to collapse the U.S. economy by driving up the cost of oil. Watch it quickly go to $200/barrel. Currently in my area of California, the price of Arco is $5.59/gallon. If oil goes up to $200/barrel, the price of gas will go up to $9.00/gal for sure! Inflation on all items will also skyrocket, jobs will start to be lost, the poor will be devastated, the rich will get richer, interest rates will skyrocket, a recession and even a depression will follow. Biden has done this because he wants us off fossil fuel. But, he has nothing to replace fossil fuels with and won't for a couple of decades. The poor will become more poor. The middle-class will become poor. Even Elon Musk says for Biden to start drilling again in the 9,000 oil fields shut down by Biden. And, he makes electric cars.
Which is the point of this insanity.

Back
Top Bottom