• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden announces ban on Russian oil imports, calling it 'Putin's price hike'

I have no idea how this right wing lie has survived the many curb stompings it has received on this forum. At no point in US history, have we ever been energy independent.
OK...this time with the correct link...

Hmmm....

In 2021, the US imported an average of 209,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil and 500,000 bpd of other petroleum products from Russia, according to the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) trade association.

This represented three percent of US crude oil imports and one percent of the total crude oil processed by US refineries. By contrast, the US imported 61 percent of its crude oil from Canada, 10 percent from Mexico, and six percent from Saudi Arabia in the same year.

We can easily make up the oil we import from Russia. The current price hikes are unwarranted gauging.
Or it's all part of the world market more likely which we are a part of.

Kitchen table politics are going to really hurt democrats come November.

John and Jane Doe are going to look around and see just how little their dollars are buying and just how worse off economically they are than they were prior to this Congress and administration and vote with their wallets in the front of their minds.

And shouting “but Ukraine” from rooftops won’t influence them when they’re filling in that ballot or standing behind a curtain at a voting booth.

Okay so we stop the import of Russian oil. I'm sure Putin already factored it in his plans. More than likely Russia is going to just sell those barrels to the Chinese at a discount. And what is going to happen when the Chinese make their move on Taiwan? Are we going to stop importing all products from China in retaliation? Did you know that 90% of our generic drugs are produced in China. And is Apple going to stop producing Iphones in China?
Those are some of the interesting challenges the US and Europe are going to have to face. They will either acquiesce because of their various economic dependencies on Russia and China, or it will force a move away from those two countries. Russia has less options because it is basically a one dimensional economy and it can only leverage petroleum and nuclear threats. China, on the other hand, has a lot of hands in a lot of pockets. I suspect they're going to be a little more calculating and not be too eager to start the slow death of relations with the west; it doesn't benefit them either.

OK...this time with the correct link...

Hmmm....
Nope. It’s why we imported oil every single day during trumps term. At no point we’re we energy independent. I know you guys think net oil (and only certain types/grades of oil) exporting means energy independent, but this is quite demonstrably false. We do not produce enough of all of the types of oil we consume which is why we imported oil every single day during that time and will continue doing so.

Sure, but the issues will run up against the popular themes of defending democracy. It's currently a pretty popular theme as it relates to Ukraine, but how long that will last is an entirely different question. Putin lobbed a softball for the Biden administration in terms of a scape goat; it's also not an off base scape goat either because jumps in fuel prices impact all sorts of consumables.

John and Jane Doe are going to look around and see just how little their dollars are buying and just how worse off economically they are than they were prior to this Congress and administration and vote with their wallets in the front of their minds.

And shouting “but Ukraine” from rooftops won’t influence them when they’re filling in that ballot or standing behind a curtain at a voting booth.
So you’re saying the exact same thing that happens every single mid term election is going to happen this mid term election?

Sure, but the issues will run up against the popular themes of defending democracy. It's currently a pretty popular theme as it relates to Ukraine, but how long that will last is an entirely different question. Putin lobbed a softball for the Biden administration in terms of a scape goat; it's also not an off base scape goat either because jumps in fuel prices impact all sorts of consumables.
I think "defending democracy" is going to fall short depending on how high fuel prices get and how that impacts other consumables. Add in the upcoming rate increase from the FED and current inflation...and it is a heaping pile of "bad news" for an election year.

It is one thing for people to post a "support Ukraine" banner on social media, or send some extra dollars to a charity...it is completely another thing when they pull up to a gas pump on the way to work/school and just dropped $50 or $100 that eats into the already stretched grocery budget.

I think "defending democracy" is going to fall short depending on how high fuel prices get and how that impacts other consumables. Add in the upcoming rate increase from the FED and current inflation...and it is a heaping pile of "bad news" for an election year.

It is one thing for people to post a "support Ukraine" banner on social media, or send some extra dollars to a charity...it is completely another thing when they pull up to a gas pump on the way to work/school and just dropped $50 or $100 that eats into the already stretched grocery budget.
Yeah, people won’t actually care about the Ukraine. They are fakers

Sure. However, I think we're in a pretty interesting time in terms of geo-politics, and the decisions we make now as a nation based on the clear power moves coming down the line from Russia and China are about more than just what's going on in Ukraine and could potentially happen in Taiwan. The very same pain being felt now because of Ukraine could become far worse should this kind of conflict arises with China.

Yeah, people won’t actually care about the Ukraine. They are fakers
When the gas prices get so high that families who can't pay their own bills are now cutting back on the food they can put in the grocery cart because they have to get to work...you're going to see how much your average lower and lower-middle-class families care about Ukraine.

Most of Americans will have their kitchen tables in a pawn shop by then

Americans are about to find out the hard way just how addicted to foreign oil we are.

Even if we drill-baby-drill in response to this, it's going to be months before domestic wells are up, running, and sending oil to the refineries.

Time to start conserving fuel.
The U.S. was the worlds #1 oil producer in 2020 and the #4 exporter of oil. We have the ability to be self sufficient if the oil companies cooperate.

Sure. However, I think we're in a pretty interesting time in terms of geo-politics, and the decisions we make now as a nation based on the clear power moves coming down the line from Russia and China are about more than just what's going on in Ukraine and could potentially happen in Taiwan. The very same pain being felt now because of Ukraine could become far worse should this kind of conflict arises with China.
I think there is a portion of Americans who live very comfortable lives and are able to care about geo-politics.

And then you have another, potentially larger, portion of Americans that are more worried about keeping a roof over their heads and feeding the families than what is happening in a country they likely couldn't point to on a map.

I think there is a portion of Americans who live very comfortable lives and are able to care about geo-politics.

And then you have another, potentially larger, portion of Americans that are more worried about keeping a roof over their heads and feeding the families than what is happening in a country they likely couldn't point to on a map.
Yep, but the implications from these conflicts will impact Americans in a variety of ways if they continue to worsen, and that affects the second group you described even if their focus is more local.

Yep, but the implications from these conflicts will impact Americans in a variety of ways if they continue to worsen, and that affects the second group you described even if their focus is more local.
Oh, I'm not saying there aren't many potential impacts (negative especially). But that's not the message being shouted from every direction - it is about "defending democracy" and tugging on heartstrings for Ukrainians.

One thing about democrats is they are HORRIBLE at messaging. They either talk above the heads of average voters or they talk down to average voters and treat them like they're idiots. They completely miss that GIGANTIC middle ground and so their message isn't heard.

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't many potential impacts (negative especially). But that's not the message being shouted from every direction - it is about "defending democracy" and tugging on heartstrings for Ukrainians.

One thing about democrats is they are HORRIBLE at messaging. They either talk above the heads of average voters or they talk down to average voters and treat them like they're idiots. They completely miss that GIGANTIC middle ground and so their message isn't heard.
thats because most of the people who need to hear it have plugged ears.

It might be too early to talk about certain things, but the one talking point that could resonate with many is the idea of starting to move away from fossil fuels to prevent issues like these. The US doesn't have the Russian oil dependence that Europe does, but because oil is a global commodity, there's no real isolation from pricing impacts. From a messaging perspective, this is a good opportunity to make the case for green energy since it helps diversify energy sources. I agree that Democrats aren't the best at messaging, but I wouldn't go sounding the alarms right now either. However, the idea of making the US less reliant on China is a good idea, but with that comes its own set of economic challenges. As a nation the US has become way too reliant on cheap products.

We imported oil every single day of trumps term in office.
We were also energy independent and stopping Putin from dealing with Germany and Europe. Now, we have been funding Putin's war against Ukraine. Putin and Biden should be held in court for war crimes against humanity. Now the bonehead wants to buy from Venezuela, another dictatorship puppet of Putin. Just open up the oil fields he closed, like 9,000 of them on government ground. Which is OUR ground. Of the people, by the people and for the people. Not Biden.
1646787711011.png

Link?

We didn't need oil when Trump was president. With no coherent national policy, we were all stuck in our homes avoiding covid.
Yes we did. And, we had plenty with more to come via Key Stone Pipeline. We had more drilling as well in Alaska and many other states. We were selling to Europe and others around the world keeping Putin from being able to sell his. We were controlling the price of oil as well. Now, OPEC and Putin are controlling the price of oil because we HAVE to buy from our enemies. And now, we are paying $5.59 here in our area for the cheap stuff. I saw a Chevron station at $6/gal. Bank of America analysts say the price of oil is heading to $200/barrel. https://fortune.com/2022/03/07/how-much-is-oil-per-barrel-bofa-russia-ukraine/
Remember how we took down Russia by economics through getting them to over spend on their military. Putin is trying this with oil.

It might be too early to talk about certain things, but the one talking point that could resonate with many is the idea of starting to move away from fossil fuels to prevent issues like these. The US doesn't have the Russian oil dependence that Europe does, but because oil is a global commodity, there's no real isolation from pricing impacts. From a messaging perspective, this is a good opportunity to make the case for green energy since it helps diversify energy sources. I agree that Democrats aren't the best at messaging, but I wouldn't go sounding the alarms right now either. However, the idea of making the US less reliant on China is a good idea, but with that comes its own set of economic challenges. As a nation the US has become way too reliant on cheap products.
Yeah, Walmart killed SO much in the US, but that's a topic for a different thread.

The case for green energy needs to be made...but also green initiatives have to be "wins" to help support messaging.

Home-state examples:
Those windmills off of south jersey are FAR from popular (and not a great example of 'green energy'), the potential negative economic impact, the impact to local industries, etc....was NOT well thought out or planned out or communicated. That was NOT a shining example of rolling out "green energy" by any stretch.

There's a train being built also down here in SJ. (Maybe...who knows... it's been talked about for years). It is supposed to connect 18 different stops between a Rowan campus in Gloucester County and Camden. There could be GREAT positives to this...and this could also be a green initiative. This area is one of the fastest growing in NJ. Great opportunity to get ahead of the traffic, right? Except, they've opted to use diesel engines, several towns have voted against having stops, instead of connecting directly with PATCO/SEPTA it requires transfers, they picked some REALLY strange locations and apparently completely forgot to clear this with the freight line that would share tracks. And...the planners/DRPA opted for this trolley train AGAINST a comparably priced high-speed/standard rail line that could have run from South Jersey and connected this half the state with mass transit in a meaningful way (following the 55 corridor). Another FAILURE to roll out a potentially "green" initiative.

And that's just here in my small corner of the world in south jersey.

Back
Top Bottom