• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beyond time to abolish the office of coroner in the United States, as well as providing for standardized, State run Medical Examiner systems

Would you prefer?

• County based Medical Examiner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mixed Coroner/Medical Examiner system

• County Coroner system

• Total voters

Safiel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
North Carolina abolished its last four county coroner offices in 2020. Unfortunately many States, including my original home State of Pennsylvania, continue to hang on to the badly obsolete office of coroner.

CDC listing of State by State status of coroner vs mixed coroner/medical examiner vs county based medical examiner vs centralized State controlled medical examiner.

Many coroner offices require no training or experience to run for the office and many require no training one in office. In quite a few cases, the Sheriff and coroner are the same person, which sounds like a major conflict of interest, particularly if the Sheriff's Office is full service.

My preferred system is a centralized State Medical Examiner's Office, with branches in each county, but with the Medical Examiner in each county appointed by the Chief Medical Examiner at the State level and reporting to the Chief Medical Examiner. I would also require that Medical Examiner's be licensed physicians in their State and Board Certified in Forensic Pathology. Because it might be difficult to find an individual meeting those qualifications to serve in a smaller county, I would change the requirements to be a licensed physician with substantial experience in Forensic Pathology and require the individual to engage in continuing education in Forensic Pathology.

I prefer a State Medical Examiner system over a county based Medical Examiner system, is that it ensures that the Medical Examiner is free of influence of county based officials, including, particularly, the County Sheriff. They don't have to worry about having to report to individuals who might pressure them to change their findings, as has happened around the country.

Once the State Medical Examiner System is in place, I would immediately abolish all coroner's offices, as well as county based medical examiner offices, which would be absorbed into the State system.

It was stupid that we were using coroners 50 years ago. It is far stupid that we are STILL using coroners today. One of the truly stupid things this country does.

No thanks.

I prefer local government as much as possible.

This shouldn't even be an issue. Opening the door for county ME's just opens the door for corruption.

No thanks.

Why?
Surely a job like this would benefit from national standards and experts being able to be flown around the country for particularly tough cases?

Everyone wants the job done with as much profesionalism as humanly possible.

I'm not trying to start an argument I'm genuinly curious as to why you think keeping it local is the best choice here.

One of many, many examples of local corruption, which is why I prefer the State based system.

Why?
Surely a job like this would benefit from national standards and experts being able to be flown around the country for particularly tough cases?

Everyone wants the job done with as much profesionalism as humanly possible.

I'm not trying to start an argument I'm genuinly curious as to why you think keeping it local is the best choice here.
Because when Dad drops dead from a heart attack in your living room, you don’t want to wait for the state or federal government to send someone before you can take the body to the morgue.

Or the state or federal government to conclude that it was a simple heart attack so they can release the body to you and you can hold a funeral.

We have regional here. Several counties share medical examiners.

We have lots of shared services between towns and counties.

Well, at least you have Medical Examiner system and not a coroner, so that is definitely a good thing.

No thanks.

You live in a highly conjested state the size of a peanut! It probably is the best bet for you. For the rest of us that 70% of the state is rural, not so much.... !

Because when Dad drops dead from a heart attack in your living room, you don’t want to wait for the state or federal government to send someone before you can take the body to the morgue.

Or the state or federal government to conclude that it was a simple heart attack so they can release the body to you and you can hold a funeral.

I suppose it depends if you have faith in the system.
I tend to.
Why would a national system be any slower?

You live in a highly conjested state the size of a peanut! It probably is the best bet for you. For the rest of us that 70% of the state is rural, not so much.... !
Yeah and our local governments are SO much more accessible and easy to deal with than Trenton and anything “state”…let alone federal. We rarely see anyone that represents us on a federal level (until campaign season 🙄 or fundraising time is near)

So I’ll keep services as locally based as possible. Especially because the population density is so high.

I can see where in less population dense areas it might not make sense.

North Carolina abolished its last four county coroner offices in 2020. Unfortunately many States, including my original home State of Pennsylvania, continue to hang on to the badly obsolete office of coroner.

CDC listing of State by State status of coroner vs mixed coroner/medical examiner vs county based medical examiner vs centralized State controlled medical examiner.

Many coroner offices require no training or experience to run for the office and many require no training one in office. In quite a few cases, the Sheriff and coroner are the same person, which sounds like a major conflict of interest, particularly if the Sheriff's Office is full service.

My preferred system is a centralized State Medical Examiner's Office, with branches in each county, but with the Medical Examiner in each county appointed by the Chief Medical Examiner at the State level and reporting to the Chief Medical Examiner. I would also require that Medical Examiner's be licensed physicians in their State and Board Certified in Forensic Pathology. Because it might be difficult to find an individual meeting those qualifications to serve in a smaller county, I would change the requirements to be a licensed physician with substantial experience in Forensic Pathology and require the individual to engage in continuing education in Forensic Pathology.

I prefer a State Medical Examiner system over a county based Medical Examiner system, is that it ensures that the Medical Examiner is free of influence of county based officials, including, particularly, the County Sheriff. They don't have to worry about having to report to individuals who might pressure them to change their findings, as has happened around the country.

Once the State Medical Examiner System is in place, I would immediately abolish all coroner's offices, as well as county based medical examiner offices, which would be absorbed into the State system.

It was stupid that we were using coroners 50 years ago. It is far stupid that we are STILL using coroners today. One of the truly stupid things this country does.
If the people in a particular county want a coroner with X professional qualifications, they can elect such a person.

Yeah and our local governments are SO much more accessible and easy to deal with than Trenton and anything “state”…let alone federal. We rarely see anyone that represents us on a federal level (until campaign season 🙄 or fundraising time is near)

So I’ll keep services as locally based as possible. Especially because the population density is so high.

Counties are gerrymandered and controlled by state parties. Far less ability to gerrymander state seats.

One of many, many examples of local corruption, which is why I prefer the State based system.
Plus counties are far far easier to gerrymander by state parties than state positions

I would point out that a centralized State system would still have county offices, the head Medical Examiner in each county would be appointed at the State level, but would maintain his office in the county and live in that county. Bodies would NOT be shipped to the State Capitol for processing, the actual death examination process would remain local.

If the people in a particular county want a coroner with X professional qualifications, they can elect such a person.

And I am happy that the State of North Carolina has now ended that for all counties.

I have zero desire to vote for a coroner. I want an appointed professional who knows what the **** he is doing and is free from local influence.

Hey Bird, I LOVE that peanut sized state! I grew up in Lehigh Co. Pa. across the river from Phillipsburg NJ. My granddad had 4 little bungalows in Beach Haven in the 60's that he maintained and going there was so magical! NJ is the best of my childhood memories!

I would point out that a centralized State system would still have county offices, the head Medical Examiner in each county would be appointed at the State level, but would maintain his office in the county and live in that county. Bodies would NOT be shipped to the State Capitol for processing, the actual death examination process would remain local.
Yeah…and state appointed positions are not corrupted?

😂

We have quite a few that are currently sitting unfilled in NJ, waiting for final authorization from the governor (ie. Waiting for the governor to approve who is appointed - for months if not years at this point)

As I said, no thanks.

No need to make the bureaucracy bigger. Let them stay localized/regional as they currently are here.

Do it however you want and however works best in your state for your state.

Hey Bird, I LOVE that peanut sized state! I grew up in Lehigh Co. Pa. across the river from Phillipsburg NJ. My granddad had 4 little bungalows in Beach Haven in the 60's that he maintained and going there was so magical! NJ is the best of my childhood memories!
I grew up in Luzerne Co PA!

OMG! I was born in Wilkes Barre! (I was the product of an unwanted pregnancy in the mid 50's,) so my college student mom was shipped up north to Wilkes Barre to have me and put me up for adoption away from Lehigh County "society". :) I always loved upstate PA!

I grew up in Bradford County, PA.

Where.

A recent coroner tried to diddle a 15 year old boy.

A recent district attorney went to jail for using his position to coerce 5 different women into sex.

A former county commissioner went to prison for grand theft.

All in all, a shit show.

🤣

I knew this was going to be your thread before I even clicked on it 😉

Back
Top Bottom