• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BEFORE MATING, THE FEMALE GIRAFFE WILL FIRST URINATE IN THE MALE’S MOUTH

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Today I found out male giraffes take a mouthful of the female’s urine to determine if she’d be a good mate.

This is known as the “Flehmen sequence”, where the male giraffe will approach the female and then rub against her backside until she pees. When/if she does, he’ll taste it to tell whether she’s in heat or not. If she is, he will then proceed to stalk her, with the female sometimes continually walking or running away from him. During this time, he will attempt to keep other males away from the female as he pursues her, which is often the point of the female’s rejection, trying to see if she can get a better male to become interested in her and fight off the current male.

When fighting over a female, the giraffes will establish dominance via high or low intensity “necking”. The low intensity version of necking involves pressing their necks against one another until one gets tired and gives up. In high intensity necking, they’ll swing their heads and necks at each other trying to land blows on the other giraffe. This type of fighting can last as much as a half hour before one will concede the match. With either type of “fighting”, very rarely is serious damage done. Further, the one with the longer neck almost always wins.

Somewhat bizarrely, at least from a Darwinian perspective, after a necking battle, the males will often caress one another with their necks (which is sometimes misinterpreted as fighting) and then have sex with each other, including reaching climax. In fact, it’s estimated that 75% to 94% of the time male giraffes have sex, it is with another male giraffe. Although much more rare, female giraffes also occasionally get in on the one gender lovin’ with about 1% of female giraffe sexual encounters occurring between two females, rather than a male/female pairing.

When male and female giraffes do pair up, females tend to prefer older males, usually at least over seven years old, even though the males become mature just four or five years after being born. In contrast, the males tend to prefer the younger females, with these females also becoming sexually mature around four years old.

If the female is particularly interested in a certain male, she may even pursue him, rubbing her neck against him to try to get him to rub her rump so she can pee in his mouth. In these cases, she will rarely play hard to get and usually will let him mount fairly quickly if her urine is to his liking.

Once the female stands still long enough to allow the male to mount, coitus is extremely brief, lasting only a few seconds at most, once again proving it’s not the size of the neck, but how you use it.
=================================================
Learn something new every day. Even bisexual giraffes.

Today I found out male giraffes take a mouthful of the female’s urine to determine if she’d be a good mate.

This is known as the “Flehmen sequence”, where the male giraffe will approach the female and then rub against her backside until she pees. When/if she does, he’ll taste it to tell whether she’s in heat or not. If she is, he will then proceed to stalk her, with the female sometimes continually walking or running away from him. During this time, he will attempt to keep other males away from the female as he pursues her, which is often the point of the female’s rejection, trying to see if she can get a better male to become interested in her and fight off the current male.

When fighting over a female, the giraffes will establish dominance via high or low intensity “necking”. The low intensity version of necking involves pressing their necks against one another until one gets tired and gives up. In high intensity necking, they’ll swing their heads and necks at each other trying to land blows on the other giraffe. This type of fighting can last as much as a half hour before one will concede the match. With either type of “fighting”, very rarely is serious damage done. Further, the one with the longer neck almost always wins.

Somewhat bizarrely, at least from a Darwinian perspective, after a necking battle, the males will often caress one another with their necks (which is sometimes misinterpreted as fighting) and then have sex with each other, including reaching climax. In fact, it’s estimated that 75% to 94% of the time male giraffes have sex, it is with another male giraffe. Although much more rare, female giraffes also occasionally get in on the one gender lovin’ with about 1% of female giraffe sexual encounters occurring between two females, rather than a male/female pairing.

When male and female giraffes do pair up, females tend to prefer older males, usually at least over seven years old, even though the males become mature just four or five years after being born. In contrast, the males tend to prefer the younger females, with these females also becoming sexually mature around four years old.

If the female is particularly interested in a certain male, she may even pursue him, rubbing her neck against him to try to get him to rub her rump so she can pee in his mouth. In these cases, she will rarely play hard to get and usually will let him mount fairly quickly if her urine is to his liking.

Once the female stands still long enough to allow the male to mount, coitus is extremely brief, lasting only a few seconds at most, once again proving it’s not the size of the neck, but how you use it.
=================================================
Learn something new every day. Even bisexual giraffes.

There are things in life we need to know. This wasn't one of them.

Flehmen​

Introduction
Flehmen is a behavioral pattern that has been observed in almost all species of ungulates and in some felids. An individual flehmens when it detects an interesting smell -- urine, faeces, a female's vulva or even a chemical substance such as ether or valerian
(Schneider, 1930). McHugh (1958) for example reports that wild female bison, Bison bison, have flehmened while nosing a rotten skeleton, human urine, a newborn calf and the torn scrotum of a bull.

Usually flehmen occurs in an ungulate after it has collected urine in its mouth. The animal then holds its head forward and parallel with or above the level of its extended neck. It remains motionless for up to two minutes or more with its upper lip curled up and everted.

In an effort to understand flehmen we first observed its use within a single species over an extended period of time. Next we studied the muscles that produced the upper lip eversion and finally using the information thus gathered, we tried to explain the nature of flehmen.

To find under what conditions flehmen occurred in an ungulate species, a herd of 18 giraffe at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney was observed over an eight month period by Dagg. These observations are noted in Part I.

It was not possible to dissect the heads of giraffe. However, since goats were available, their upper lip structure was analyzed instead. The rostral musculature was studied electrophysiologically initially, and then anatomically, principally by Taub. Dissections were also carried out on other species to verify the observations on goats. This work is detailed in Part II.

The only recent extensive work on the function of flehmen is that of Knappe (1964), who believed that the Jacobson's organ is closely associated with it. In the course of our dissections we studied this organ and concluded that Knappe's theory was no correct. In Part III we also postulate an alternative function of flehmen and suggest possible extentions related to similar behavior.
=====================================================
Hoofed animals & cats. As response to chemicals is involved, I'm interested in the mechanism & what aspects of the flemen response occur in humans.

Be that way. As a chemist, I'm interested on the parts of this behavior pattern might be found in humans. The chemical valerian is mentioned. Learn something new every day.

Be that way. As a chemist, I'm interested on the parts of this behavior pattern might be found in humans. The chemical valerian is mentioned. Learn something new every day.

Valerian (herb)​

Valerian (Valeriana officinalis, Caprifoliaceae) is a perennial flowering plant native to Europe and Asia. In the summer when the mature plant may have a height of 1.5 metres (5 feet), it bears sweetly scented pink or white flowers that attract many fly species, especially hoverflies of the genus Eristalis.[3] It is consumed as food by the larvae of some Lepidoptera (butterfly and moth) species, including the grey pug.

Crude extract of valerian root may have sedative and anxiolytic effects, and is commonly sold in dietary supplement capsules to promote sleep, but clinical evidence that it is effective for this purpose is weak or inconclusive as yet.[1][2] Its roots and leaves cause a catnip-like response in cats.
================================================
See, I started with giraffe sexual behavior & I found an number of interesting things to study. You should learn something new every day.

Ever since I read that diabetes can be detected by sugar in the urine, I've been in the habit of tasting my own pee. Just that last drop that won't come off with shaking, and it also serves cleanliness.

Stale urine can have bacteria in it, but so far as I know your own fresh urine is harmless.

!! LOL!! "Hi...yes, I'm Bob...your blind date. No, traffic wasn't bad. Got here easy. Hey, Want to hear something cool about Giraffes?"
You might suggest visiting the BR together to check to see if you are into each other responses.

Would you say that the taste of human urine could be used to detect such things as ovulation? Or is the human sense of taste not that good?

Would you say that the taste of human urine could be used to detect such things as ovulation? Or is the human sense of taste not that good?
Urine is made up of complex mixtures of things like metabolites of steroids. That's why they test it in hospital labs.

Of course. Many dogs get walked every day in front of my house. They have a much more sensitive smell sense to check on the health of other dogs that came before them. They are used to detect chemicals left by humans, like urine.

Urine is made up of complex mixtures of things like metabolites of steroids. That's why they test it in hospital labs.

It can't be that harmful to ungulates and felids, or this behavior would be deprecated by evolution. I suppose it's fair to say that it has more survival benefit than trying to mate when the female is not receptive.

Humans and bonobos are rather special among animals, because they'll mate any time not just during ovulation. I like to think that's a better strategy for getting pregnant, than nuzzling the female until she pees in your mouth.

Of course. Many dogs get walked every day in front of my house. They have a much more sensitive smell sense to check on the health of other dogs that came before them. They are used to detect chemicals left by humans, like urine.

I like dogs, but I also like to tease them. Just pee on a lamp-post and watch them try to figure out what kind of dog did that!

Seriously though, everyone knows that humans have a poor sense of smell. But isn't our sense of taste rather good, since we're evolved to be omnivores?

Valerian root contains actinidine, a compound that acts as a stimulant for some of our feline friends. It causes mental stimulation as well as an increase in exercise, but can also leave your cats with an overall calm and relaxed aura. The best way to see if valerian is right for your cat is to try!
========================================================
Actinidine is a cat euphoriant. I collect cat stimulant molecules.

Valerian root contains actinidine, a compound that acts as a stimulant for some of our feline friends. It causes mental stimulation as well as an increase in exercise, but can also leave your cats with an overall calm and relaxed aura. The best way to see if valerian is right for your cat is to try!
========================================================
Actinidine is a cat euphoriant. I collect cat stimulant molecules.

What are you in for buddy?
-- Dealing drugs.
Dealing drugs to children maybe? That's not OK.
-- No, I dealt drugs to cats.

You made me pee in my pants a little bit I'm laughing so hard! :ROFLMAO: I was thinking the same thing, but there's this sick side of me that can't turn away from seeing the trainwreck either!

If your referring to Golden Showerrs

It's a kink 🤪

Not my thing, but to each there own

When we visited the bonobo enclosure at the San Diego Zoo, it was a bit of a let down because they were all f****d out. No show.

What are you in for buddy?
-- Dealing drugs.
Dealing drugs to children maybe? That's not OK.
-- No, I dealt drugs to cats.
As in Puss n Boots claiming that bag of catnip was not his?

Always makes me laugh

Seriously, why would you feel the need to get your cat high?

If your referring to Golden Showerrs

It's a kink 🤪

Not my thing, but to each there own
It's not a kink. It's Nature's way. Learn from Nature.

You made me pee in my pants a little bit I'm laughing so hard! :ROFLMAO: I was thinking the same thing, but there's this sick side of me that can't turn away from seeing the trainwreck either!
Jessie, you would be very peculiar if you hadn't also engaged in necking. Unless you are a nun.

You don't have to explain yourself. Giraffes are cool and leading about them is great.

You should look into dolphins sexual habits if this fascinates you. Almost all of them are bisexual. Or do they say

Wut??? What does this mean?

[Dictionary.com]
noun
  1. Informal. kissing, caressing, and other sexual activity between partners that does not involve stimulation of the genitals or sexual intercourse.
  2. Architecture.
    • a molding or group of moldings between the projecting part of a capital of a column and the shaft.

I don't know about you, but the architecture definition gets me hot.

Back
Top Bottom