• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Basque Terror Group ETA

ibarretxeno

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi all,

Spain has been suffering the scourge of terrorism for ~ 50 years. As a US citizen who grew up in Spain watching news stories about innocents killed by ETA in terror attacks, I find it astonishing that many Americans who have little to no knowledge of the political situation in Spain show sympathy for these terrorists or their cause. While things have changed a little bit since 9/11, when Americans could see by themselves the pain inflicted to innocent victims by fanatic terrorists, there is still a lot of education to be done with my fellow Americans on this topic. A few years ago, the Foundation Victims of Terrorism created this video (in English) where not only ETA's tactics are exposed but where one can also listen to the victims of these fanatics,

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKt5b8j5ZAw"]YouTube- Terrorism Victims Foundation about ETA's terror (1 of 2)[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3yljoK-Gk"]YouTube- Terrorism Victims Foundation about ETA's terror (2 of 2)[/nomedia]

At the end of the second video the names of the more than 800 innocents killed by ETA at the time the video was made is shown.

Best,

They were the same with the IRA, a situation not helped by John Lennon giving money and Paul McCartney's Give Ireland Back To The Irish crap.

BBC News | UK | Shayler: Lennon 'funded IRA'
Lennon offered to sing for the IRA | UK news | The Observer

Working Class Hero my eye! It was bad enough him waxing lyrical over terrorist Angela Davis and pothead John Sinclair. (Startlingly, his dangerous naiivity overtook him as his later killer was sent down to Attica State jail - the very one Lennon sang about wanting all the killers freed from and the one Yoko Ono wants Mark Chapman to stay in.)

Still, just more form for detached pro-commies who asked their Apple label to approach CASTRO and CHAIRMAN MAO to negotiate spoken word album deals in 1968!

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/fridayreview/story/0,,1235831,00.html

(I doubt they really knew what they were doing (they were too soft and politically all over the place), but as teen heart-throbs and psuedo-oracles they were alarmingly subversive and potentially dangerous. Ivory Tower mentality does that. Indeed the 60s Revolution has kept social politics poisoned even now.)

If they were young chart-toppers today they'd be making excuses for the Islamo-Nazis whilst claiming to be Uniting Against Fascism!

Last edited:
Indeed, all that despicable. I think that many Irish Americans and Basque Americans who have supported the IRA and ETA respectively were forced to take a second look to their support of terrorists after 9/11. Still, while the IRA is a thing of the past, ETA is currently threatening to kill innocents.

Indeed, all that despicable. I think that many Irish Americans and Basque Americans who have supported the IRA and ETA respectively were forced to take a second look to their support of terrorists after 9/11. Still, while the IRA is a thing of the past, ETA is currently threatening to kill innocents.

It had nothing to do with 'taking a second look' but all to do with a government policy shift, basically cutting off the funding via the introduction of anti terror laws. It was just a shame it took an incident like 9/11 to bring about the change.

Paul

It was just a shame it took an incident like 9/11 to bring about the change.
Paul

I completely agree with that. In fact, it saddens me to still hear discussions in which people show empathy towards the perpetrators of terrorism.

Back
Top Bottom