• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bad Shoot [W:168]

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The jury has not yet been seated and charges not yet filed, but the murder of Andrew Brown will be the new Chauvin trial. This was a bad shoot, for sure.

Question: When is it OK to shoot someone in the back?

When is it OK to shoot someone in the back?

I can think of several things that would make it prudent and other that could cause it to happen.

BTW, I have zero knowledge of this case.

Why do the cops claim they fired in this situation?

I can think of several things that would make it prudent and other that could cause it to happen.

BTW, I have zero knowledge of this case.

Why do the cops claim they fired in this situation?
Cops seem to have gotten everything wrong in this case, and now they compound it by withholding the body cam video. So, I am not sure I care what they say at this point. It's safe to presume they'd be lying.

Brown's aunt, Betty Banks, said the family was told that authorities did not find any drugs or weapons in Brown's car or in his house. The warrant that was being served on Brown when he was shot was related to felony drug charges, Chief Deputy Daniel Fogg said.

"It's clear to us there is something bad on that bodycam video," Crump, who is representing Brown's family, told CNN on Saturday. "Transparency is essential."

The jury has not yet been seated and charges not yet filed, but the murder of Andrew Brown will be the new Chauvin trial. This was a bad shoot, for sure.

Question: When is it OK to shoot someone in the back?
Given the information in that article, there is no way you can honestly judge this to be a "bad shoot".

To answer your question, if I...let's say I'm a policeman...see you preparing to shoot someone else and your back is turned to me, then me shooting you in the back to protect others is certainly okay.

I just watched a lengthy press conference addressing this shooting. The police are claiming the reason they need more time before releasing the video footage is "they need more time to edit the video." Sounds fishy. How long ago did the shooting occur, and how long does it take to edit a video?

What is the point of body camera footage if the cops can refuse to release it, and then selectively edit it before it is?

The entire idea behind body cameras is transparency.

Based on the information in the article regarding resignations, it sounds like the video isn't good. I'll withhold judgement though until I can see the complete video.

What is the point of body camera footage if the cops can refuse to release it, and then selectively edit it before it is?

I can understand wanting to censor head gore, but aside from that I don't want to see redactions or selective editing.

I can understand wanting to censor head gore, but aside from that I don't want to see redactions or selective editing.

The way the police have behaved in the wake of this shooting is very telling. Resignations. Vague comments. Previously refusing to allow the family to see the body camera footage even though it is their legal right. And now we have a state of emergency declared as they continue to drag their feet.

Just the polar opposite of the very transparent way the Columbus PD handled the aftermath of the Ma'Khia Bryant shooting.

(y) (y)

For the second time, the family has come to view the body camera footage only to be told they cannot because the release has been delayed.

What are they hiding? It has been 5 days since this shooting took place. The Columbus, Ohio PD was able to release their footage within hours, but these people can't figure out how to get something, even to the family, in nearly a week?

For the second time, the family has come to view the body camera footage only to be told they cannot because the release has been delayed.

What are they hiding? It has been 5 days since this shooting took place. The Columbus, Ohio PD was able to release their footage within hours, but these people can't figure out how to get something, even to the family, in nearly a week?

That jurisdiction must have the worst/slowest 'video editors' in the world. That is their stated cause for not releasing the video footage. "Need more time to edit." :rolleyes:

That jurisdiction must have the worst/slowest 'video editors' in the world. That is their stated cause for not releasing the video footage. "Need more time to edit." :rolleyes:

Must be hard to photoshop a gun into Brown's hand. Good CGI is expensive.

Must be hard to photoshop a gun into Brown's hand. Good CGI is expensive.
Just released: Brown died as a result of a shot to the head. Source: ME's death certificate. Family will be allowed to see video at 1:30 PM EST.

Is Ben Crump the only African-American civil-rights/wrongful-death attorney in America?

He seems to have a monopoly on these cases. Reminds me of Gloria Allred and the celebrity lawsuits featuring women.

Just released: Brown died as a result of a shot to the head. Source: ME's death certificate. Family will be allowed to see video at 1:30 PM EST.

Target-blur the gore frame(s) and release the police body-cam video(s). This isn't rocket science.

A 10 year old can probably do this faster and better than the Elizabeth City PD.

It doesn't take days and days to view and edit body-cam recordings. It must be pretty damning.

This one sounds fishy for sure. 7 cops resigned. Video being redacted. Doesn’t sound good

They didn’t refuse. NC law requires a court order to release it.

Yep, another black man with a LONG criminal history killed by police while attempting to serve a warrant on him for pending felony charges-- and somehow he ends up dead---so go figure? And once again members of the black protest community are not happy waiting for the complete investigation, assuming as usual police misconduct. And yet still unwilling to figure that Andrew Brown Jr is a man with a LONG criminal history.

Why do some black people insist on making heroes and martyrs out of criminals and thugs? Long gone are the real heroes of African-American history whom we all, regardless of race can celebrate. People like Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Harriet Tubman, Thurgood Marshall.

Now it has shifted to idolizing thugs who by their own bad behavior and criminal activity end up being taken out of the gene pool. Why celebrate those idiots?

Yep, another black man with a LONG criminal history killed by police while attempting to serve a warrant on him for pending felony charges-- and somehow he ends up dead---so go figure? And once again members of the black protest community are not happy waiting for the complete investigation, assuming as usual police misconduct. And yet still unwilling to figure that Andrew Brown Jr is a man with a LONG criminal history.

Why do some black people insist on making heroes and martyrs out of criminals and thugs? Long gone are the real heroes of African-American history whom we all, regardless of race can celebrate. People like Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Harriet Tubman, Thurgood Marshall.

Now it has shifted to idolizing thugs who by their own bad behavior and criminal activity end up being taken out of the gene pool. Why celebrate those idiots?
^ Sounds very racist, and in no way whatsoever. addresses the thread OP. This thread isn't about Mr. Brown's past record, nor the color of his skin, which has zilch to do with the thread topic. Furthermore, no is "idolizing thugs." MAJOR FAIL.

Someone need not be a hero or idol in order for their life to have value and it still be completely unacceptable for the police, our representatives, to needlessly take their life.

Why do we even need a video? The dead guy is black and the person that shot him is a cop. Based on that alone we should reasonably get a life sentence for the shooter, 25-40 years for any other cops present and $104.8M for the victim's family.

Going through trials and everything just seems like an absurd waste of time when we already know what the outcome needs to be.

Why do we even need a video? The dead guy is black and the person that shot him is a cop. Based on that alone we should reasonably get a life sentence for the shooter, 25-40 years for any other cops present and $104.8M for the victim's family.

Going through trials and everything just seems like an absurd waste of time when we already know what the outcome needs to be.

I think you dropped this.

1619459734619.png

Back
Top Bottom