• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Background Checks

Noodlegawd

Somebody you used to know
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
How many shootings do gun control advocates reckon will be prevented every year if we pass a federal law requiring background checks for all firearm sales, and based on what data?

Last edited:
How many shootings do gun control advocates reckon will be prevented every year if we have pass a federal requiring background checks for all firearm sales, and based on what data?

Your question doesn't make sense as it's two questions in one....how many shootings based on what data ?

I'm not a data expert. But I do know that doing nothing usually yields no tangible positive results.

As we used to say in the Corps..... Piss Poor Planning Promotes Piss Poor Performance

I'm not a data expert. But I do know that doing nothing usually yields no tangible positive results.

As we used to say in the Corps..... Piss Poor Planning Promotes Piss Poor Performance

Not passing a federal universal background check law is not "doing nothing."

Your question doesn't make sense as it's two questions in one....how many shootings based on what data ?

Yes, it's two questions. It's not complicated. How many shootings do you think it will prevent, and what data are you using to reach that conclusion? In other words, I want to know if anyone has anything other than a half-ass opinion on the matter.

How many shootings do gun control advocates reckon will be prevented every year if we pass a federal law requiring background checks for all firearm sales, and based on what data?
I think you're backing up the wrong tree. It is possible to structure a gun background check system that would be effective in reducing gun violance, however it would violate numerous constitutional rights. Before we can begin to speculate on how effective any background check system may be we neee to agree on what that check would be comprised of. I've seen everything from no change to mental health exams, high costs, and 30 day waiting periods all thrown out aa ideas for background checks. It's hard to seriously debate the effects of such a general term.

Yes, it's two questions. It's not complicated. How many shootings do you think it will prevent, and what data are you using to reach that conclusion? In other words, I want to know if anyone has anything other than a half-ass opinion on the matter.
You won't get any takers. Gun control lovers don't do data...it's all about emotion and hyperbole.

I think you're backing up the wrong tree. It is possible to structure a gun background check system that would be effective in reducing gun violance, however it would violate numerous constitutional rights. Before we can begin to speculate on how effective any background check system may be we neee to agree on what that check would be comprised of. I've seen everything from no change to mental health exams, high costs, and 30 day waiting periods all thrown out aa ideas for background checks. It's hard to seriously debate the effects of such a general term.

I perfectly happy for someone to provide whatever assumptions they want to use, or just assume we're talking about the current Democrat proposal. Supposedly 90% of Americans support it. It would be good to see if they have any actual reason to do so.

Tell us the data you think might be asked, and we might be able to tell you an answer.

Tell us the data you think might be asked, and we might be able to tell you an answer.

I don't understand your question. I'm asking you to answer a question and provide the basis for your answer. I'm not personally aware of any data indicating that universal background checks will significantly reduce shootings.

Lefties like worlds such as may, might, could, possibly, eventually etc. Then go full retard trying to plug every hole in the dyke.

One + any number really. And as far as data, pretty much the same that is being used now which is some good and some phony as hell.

I don't understand your question. I'm asking you to answer a question and provide the basis for your answer. I'm not personally aware of any data indicating that universal background checks will significantly reduce shootings.

How it would be of benefit depends on what was being asked. So what data did you have in mind ?

One + any number really. And as far as data, pretty much the same that is being used now which is some good and some phony as hell.

I'd say the good data would help and the phony data wouldn't.

How many cases of in-person voter impersonation do you reckon voter ID would prevent, and based on what data?

14.9%, OP.

Bullshit study, because it ignores the fact that PA and MD (two states with relatively high murder rates) require background checks for all purchases of handguns (which are used in the overwhelming majority of gun murders), and they completely left out the District of Columbia.

I won't get into the shipload of overlapping factors they "corrected" the data for.

He’s asking, if universally background checks are instituted how many deaths do you guys think will be prevented and on what data do you base your estimate?

He’s asking, if universally background checks are instituted how many deaths do you guys think will be prevented and on what data do you base your estimate?

Is he, since we don't have universal background checks, where do you think he thinks that data is available ?

Back
Top Bottom