• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baby with Zika-linked birth defect dies in Texas

Good thing you aren't responding to a political hack, then.

I don't judge people by what they say. I judge people by what they do.

And there are about 1,000 cases now in the US. And Congress is still on vacation. When you go to the polls in November, vote for a Republican congressman if the incumbent is a Democrat, and vote for a Democratic congressman if the incumbent is a Republican. There is absolutely no excuse for doing nothing. These sons of bitches all need to be fired. Every damn one of them.

Article is here.

So we have one death due to a virus and we should be throwing a big pile of $ at it??? Sorry, but if you want to throw a big pile of $ at a disease, there's a LONG list ahead of Zika.

So we have one death due to a virus and we should be throwing a big pile of $ at it??? Sorry, but if you want to throw a big pile of $ at a disease, there's a LONG list ahead of Zika.

The AIDS epidemic also started with one death.

It's Texas so you can't rule out that this was due to inbreeding.

So when you have nothing to add to a discussion topic you feel compelled to say something stupid? Sure looks that way.

Doing nothing? Didn't Congress pass a bill for Zika funding that Obama vetoed? What is it you expect them to do?

Wow, what right-wing blog did you get this from?

So when you have nothing to add to a discussion topic you feel compelled to say something stupid? Sure looks that way.

Maybe the only Texans he ever met were Aggies. :mrgreen:

The AIDS epidemic also started with one death.

So did TB, ALS, Lupus, MS and a whole array of other diseases that are killing people by the thousands every year. Instead of throwing money at a disease because it's in the headlines, how about we do it based on facts and what is killing the most people.

Everything's a choice and every group has priorities. You're on the side of the Democrats this instance. Its all politics, same **** different day.

I think all bills should be standalone, especially funding bills.

Hahahah showed his own disingenuous, hypocritical bull**** in consecutive posts.

Congress can't stop people from using drugs. How on earth is it supposed to solve the Zika issue? Throwing $ at it will solve nothing. Government can do only certain things--it cannot solve all problems.

Uhh, they can fund agencies that respond to the virus.

It's always the same with liberals. What can we throw money towards? I know, there is this this disease that killed one person. Lets throw the money towards that!

I made an error that I admitted to in a later post. Let me know when you're caught up.

And made another ridiculous error in the process. If Democrats had added an assault weapons ban to the bill you'd blow your goddamned lid and you know it.

It's always the same with liberals. What can we throw money towards? I know, there is this this disease that killed one person. Lets throw the money towards that!

It's a disease that kills babies, I thought conservatives were suppose to be against killing babies!

It's a disease that kills babies, I thought conservatives were suppose to be against killing babies!

You should check my lean again.

And made another ridiculous error in the process. If Democrats had added an assault weapons ban to the bill you'd blow your goddamned lid and you know it.
No, not really.

My problem with this report is, we don't even know if Zika caused the microcephaly.

From the CDC
Microcephaly is not a common condition. State birth defects tracking systems have estimated that microcephaly ranges from 2 babies per 10,000 live births to about 12 babies per 10,000 live births in the Unites States.

Causes and Risk Factors

The causes of microcephaly in most babies are unknown. Some babies have microcephaly because of changes in their genes. Other causes of microcephaly, including severe microcephaly, can include the following exposures during pregnancy:

Certain infections during pregnancy, such as rubella, toxoplasmosis, or cytomegalovirus

Severe malnutrition, meaning a lack of nutrients or not getting enough food

Exposure to harmful substances, such as alcohol, certain drugs, or toxic chemicals

Interruption of the blood supply to the baby’s brain during development

Microcephaly occurs in the US without the presence of Zika. Why are they assuming Zika is the cause of this child's microcephaly?

Zika virus was first discovered in 1947 and is named after the Zika Forest in Uganda. In 1952, the first human cases of Zika were detected and since then, outbreaks of Zika have been reported in tropical Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific Islands. Zika outbreaks have probably occurred in many locations. Before 2007, at least 14 cases of Zika had been documented, although other cases were likely to have occurred and were not reported. Because the symptoms of Zika are similar to those of many other diseases, many cases may not have been recognized.
Zika is not a new disease. Why all the hubbub now?

Hahahah showed his own disingenuous, hypocritical bull**** in consecutive posts.

Yea, the second quote from him in your post is why he called me a Democrat. Crap, I guess he's a Democrat too. Who'd have thunk it?

And, BTW, my vote is for Gary Johnson, so he got that one wrong too. LOL.

Last edited:
My problem with this report is, we don't even know if Zika caused the microcephaly.

From the CDC

Microcephaly occurs in the US without the presence of Zika. Why are they assuming Zika is the cause of this child's microcephaly?

Zika is not a new disease. Why all the hubbub now?

Because his mother had Zika, and the CDC has already shown that women who contract Zika deliver many, many times the rate of babies with microcephaly than in a normal population. Is there a chance the baby contracted microcephaly from a different source? It's possible, but not likely. A very strong correlation between microcephaly and Zika is definitely there.

Last edited:
Yea, the second quote from him in your post is why he called me a Democrat. Crap, I guess he's a Democrat too. Who'd have thunk it.

And, BTW, my vote is for Gary Johnson, so he got that one wrong too. LOL.
I did? I said you're on the side of the Democrats in this instance, not that you're a Democrat. Sorry if I got your position on this issue wrong.

I did? I said you're on the side of the Democrats in this instance, not that you're a Democrat. Sorry if I got your position on this issue wrong.

I was on the side of the Republicans a decade ago when Democrats were doing the same crap. One thing about me is that I am consistent. There is no Democratic or Republican side to this issue. It's either right, or it's wrong, in this instance very wrong.

I was on the side of the Republicans a decade ago when Democrats were doing the same crap. One thing about me is that I am consistent. There is no Democratic or Republican side to this issue. It's either right, or it's wrong, in this instance very wrong.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I really dislike how the system is setup and wish it were different, but I recognize that it is what it is right now.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I really dislike how the system is setup and wish it were different, but I recognize that it is what it is right now.

Yea, it blows. We can definitely agree on that. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom