• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australia turns to rodent ‘napalm’ as mouse plague overwhelms farmers

Lord Tammerlain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

You would think with all the snakes in Australia mice would not be problem

Mandryk: Moe's tough talk to anti-vaxxers welcomed, but puzzling

‘I really struggled’: How an Ontario teacher got stuck with a zero credit score for…

1622297554009.png
It's not wise to venture out after dark in the farmlands of New South Wales, Australia.

a close up of a desert: Mice scurry around stored grain on a farm near Tottenham, Australia on May 19, 2021.
© AP Photo/Rick Rycroft Mice scurry around stored grain on a farm near Tottenham, Australia on May 19, 2021.
Open the wrong door, walk near the wrong field or flick on the wrong light and you'll find yourself facing a skittering, chewing, breeding, swarming horde of hungry mice, as the state grapples with a devastating rodent plague that threatens to destroy AU$1 billion worth of crops.

Social media footage shows horrifying scenes from the rodent-ridden state, where mice are seemingly hiding en masse in any dark space available.

Read more: Cat survives fifth-floor jump from window of burning building

The mice are devouring crops, chewing through electrical wires, eating leather seats and spreading rapidly across the region, in what the state government describes as an "absolutely unprecedented" plague.

The mouse population is estimated to be in the millions, but one government scientist said counting them would be like "trying to count up the stars in the sky."

Farmers are reportedly putting the legs of their beds in buckets of water to avoid getting swarmed and bitten in their sleep. Mice are overrunning many farms after dark, and they come pouring out of grain bags and augers when they're disturbed during the day.

One family has also blamed their house fire on rodents chewing the wiring.

I've read a bit about a massive jackrabbit infestation over there a while ago.

They tried everything they could think of and as I recall they ended up spreading a pretty nasty disease to wipe out the large majority of them.

Putting the legs of their beds in buckets of water to avoid having them swarm over them at night.
Yikes!
Really creepy. I posted before I read the whole op. There might not be enough cats for the job, and if there were, what would do with all the cats afterwards?

Sounds like an invasive species with few effective natural predators.
And resorting to poison has the potential to kill off what predators there are while the mice out reproduce anything that stands in their way. It just might wind up being counterproductive.

I've read a bit about a massive jackrabbit infestation over there a while ago.

They tried everything they could think of and as I recall they ended up spreading a pretty nasty disease to wipe out the large majority of them.
Yeah...it was Night of the Lepus sans DeForest Kelley for a time in Aussieland.

1080, anyone?

They parachuted cats into Malaysia (or was it Borneo?) after DDT killed off many native cats and they had a plague of rats! Talk about messing with the ecology!

They don't have a problem with sharks either. The crocodiles eat them all.

Sharks killed 18 people in the last 20 years. Crocs killed 11 people in the last 35 years.

That's 0.9 per year for sharks, versus 0.3 per year for crocs.

This is where it gets interesting though. Crocs are only found in the North, for about a third of Australia's coastline. So it could be both animals are just as malign, it's just that surfers and swimmers are not exposed to them in the South and the lower coasts.

As to the mice, it seems pretty inhumane to napalm them. But with their little bodies they would die quite quickly from flame inhalation.

Back
Top Bottom