• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attack Submarine USS Connecticut Suffers Underwater Collision in South China Sea

RetiredUSN

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Looks as though incompetence is now creeping into our submarine force. The Navy needs new leadership.

Attack Submarine USS Connecticut Suffers Underwater Collision​

Almost a dozen sailors have been injured after a U.S. nuclear attack submarine hit an unknown underwater object in the South China Sea, USNI News has learned.
I don't see anything in the article that indicates this was caused by incompetence.

Looks as though incompetence is now creeping into our submarine force. The Navy needs new leadership.

Attack Submarine USS Connecticut Suffers Underwater Collision​

Running people harder & harder, at this tempo and for years, expect errors in judgement, training shortfalls are also another problem

Regardless that Officers career just ended

Running people harder & harder, at this tempo and for years, expect errors in judgement, training shortfalls are also another problem

Regardless that Officers career just ended

True.

Operational tempo has sent more young sailors out of the navy. I don't blame them for leaving.

The Navy has run into everything but the "pace car" over the last 3 years.

When they take a break from running into things, they burn down a ship.
Why wasn't the leadership changed several years ago?
If this has been happening the CIC should have done something about it by now ( over the last 3 years )
Have a nice night

True. Operational tempo has sent more young sailors out of the navy. I don't blame them for leaving.
Perhaps it is best to get the 'tender' sailors out before confrontation with China or another Middle East crisis. Can't help but wonder how those leaving due to peacetime increase in operational tempo would handle the real deal... :unsure:

Back in my day we had a saying-"If this is too much then don't be in town when the shit goes down"... :cautious:

We trained hard because 'actual tactical' would be a mutha... ✌️

I don't see anything in the article that indicates this was caused by incompetence.
The article lists a prior incident. These submarines often operate without sonar and rely on the accuracy of their maps. If the map is wrong...

U.S. submarine struck another underwater object was in 2005. Then, USS San Franciso (SSN -711) struck an underwater mountain at full speed near Guam.

Maybe they found and hit flight 370?

There is every reason for the Chinese to have put something there, knowing how these submarines have to operate at times. Thanks!!

There is every reason for the Chinese to have put something there, knowing how these submarines have to operate at times. Thanks!!
Would be quite the trick to put an object small enough to not sink the sub but big enough to make intercept better than 1 in a million. I guess they have millions out there... ✌️

Would be quite the trick to put an object small enough to not sink the sub but big enough to make intercept better than 1 in a million. I guess they have millions out there... ✌️
Some people think they will win the powerball also.

The Navy has run into everything but the "pace car" over the last 3 years.

When they take a break from running into things, they burn down a ship.
This looks like it is similar to what happened with the USS San Francisco in 2005.

And did you not know about the several times we've hit surface boats/ships?

True.

Operational tempo has sent more young sailors out of the navy. I don't blame them for leaving.
Do you have some evidence that the operational tempo is higher now than it was say 10 years ago? 20 years ago?

The article lists a prior incident. These submarines often operate without sonar and rely on the accuracy of their maps. If the map is wrong...

U.S. submarine struck another underwater object was in 2005. Then, USS San Franciso (SSN -711) struck an underwater mountain at full speed near Guam.
they use passive sonar
NO pingers and seeing there are somethings that do not make noise Passive sonar isn't any good
It is good against other ships and things that make some type of noise but not solid non moving objects
Have a nice day

Some people think they will win the powerball also.
Technological advancement is on almost all fronts these days. Sabotaging military efforts is nothing new. Thanks!!

Do submarines actually travel w/o electronic sight measures while submerged?

Do submarines actually travel w/o electronic sight measures while submerged?
Yes. Sonar pings produce a sound, so therefore it can be detected if used. So that means that they have to have up to date topographical maps to navigate by. They don't do it all the time. But it is quite common in potentially "hostile" waters.

Yes. Sonar pings produce a sound, so therefore it can be detected if used. So that means that they have to have up to date topographical maps to navigate by. They don't do it all the time. But it is quite common in potentially "hostile" waters.
How much realism in the “Hunt For Red October,” when they are speeding through the underwater trench, with a map and a stopwatch?

they use passive sonar
NO pingers and seeing there are somethings that do not make noise Passive sonar isn't any good
It is good against other ships and things that make some type of noise but not solid non moving objects
Have a nice day
That is why they rely on maps. Passive sonar is only good for objects that make noise.

How much realism in the “Hunt For Red October,” when they are speeding through the underwater trench, with a map and a stopwatch?
That I couldn't say. I would fathom to guess the concept is real, though maybe not as accurate as they portrayed.

Absolutely. It's called running silent.
I would think that wouldn’t be a problem in between the surface and the bottom. The closer to the bottom they get, it gets a little dicier. The Chinese would have to be pretty lucky to install a “barrier” and get the sub to hit it. I don’t guess we’ll know just where in the SCS they were…….

I would think that wouldn’t be a problem in between the surface and the bottom. The closer to the bottom they get, it gets a little dicier. The Chinese would have to be pretty lucky to install a “barrier” and get the sub to hit it. I don’t guess we’ll know just where in the SCS they were…….
What makes you think they run that close to the bottom? The task you suggest would be monumental.

Back
Top Bottom