• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

At a secret airfield in Eastern Europe, a multinational effort to send weapons to Ukraine proceeds at high speed

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

The airport's location remains a secret to protect the shipments of weapons, including anti-armor missiles, into Ukraine. The Russian military has not targeted these shipments once they enter Ukraine, the official said, but there is some concern Russia could begin targeting the deliveries as its assault advances.

The airport's location remains a secret to protect the shipments of weapons, including anti-armor missiles, into Ukraine. The Russian military has not targeted these shipments once they enter Ukraine, the official said, but there is some concern Russia could begin targeting the deliveries as its assault advances.

EUCOM is also coordinating with other countries, including the United Kingdom, in terms of the delivery process "to ensure that we are using our resources to maximum efficiency to support the Ukrainians in an organized way," the official added.

The "vast majority" of a $350 million US security assistance package has already been delivered to Ukraine, according to the official, only one week after it was officially approved by the White House.
Approximately $240 million of the package has reached Ukraine, and the rest should arrive within days and maybe weeks, "but not longer," the official said Friday. The components that have already been delivered include "the most needed capabilities, like anti-armor capabilities."

Once in possession of the weapons, the Ukrainians have used them to slow and stall Russian assaults in different parts of Ukraine.
"I think all of us have been tremendously impressed by how effectively the Ukrainian Armed Forces have been using the equipment that we've provided them," the official said.
Perhaps most notably, a massive Russian convoy spanning 40 miles of road north of Kyiv, Ukraine's capital, has barely moved in days. "We know that they have conducted attacks on that convoy, that those attacks were effective in slowing and stopping it," another senior Defense official said Friday.

--

For several days now, I've been turning more pessimistic of Putin succeeding in his attempt to take Ukraine, or even Kyiv, much less his ability to hold either. And along the way, I've seen Biden derided for 'not leading, not doing enough'. I've seen doomsaying. I've seen some claim President Zylenksy is martyring himself.

However, I will once again say, 'We should not count Ukraine out', and not assume things are not happening behind the scenes. Because apparently, much is happening behind the scenes!

This CNN article is chock-full of info, and I think it's worth a more thorough read (it's not long). I tried to capture the most newsworthy bits in my excerpts.

But, I must draw your attention to my last, bottom-most excerpt; the excerpt explaining the lack of progress in the 'Russian 40 Mile Supply Convoy'. Yep. Uh-huh. Now, we know!

As I earlier said, and actually have said for days, I suspect there's a lot going-on behind the scenes, that we're not aware:

"Ladies & Gentlemen, I believe we now have a proxy war!"

Yep. I really am coming to believe it - a proxy war!

So now, there is one type of doomsayer, who I suppose I will now have to entertain more seriously:

"Those who believe we are heading into WW-3!"

I can't say I'm panicked or overly concerned about a World War, but I must admit I do believe we are in a proxy war, and that is an edge closer to the possibility.

Also, given my OP article, I think we now know why Putin is acting so savagely, and has virtually committed his entire military into this endeavor. He knows it's a proxy war, 'Him against the world'!

Also, given my OP article, I think we now know why Putin is acting so savagely, and has virtually committed his entire military into this endeavor. He knows it's a proxy war, 'Him against the world'!
I read some statistics. Putin has committed about half his tanks to Ukraine. Looks to be the older tanks too. I am sure that ratio is true for the rest of it as well.

For several days now, I've been turning more pessimistic of Putin succeeding in his attempt to take Ukraine, or even Kyiv, much less his ability to hold either. And along the way, I've seen Biden derided for 'not leading, not doing enough'. I've seen doomsaying. I've seen some claim President Zylenksy is martyring himself. However, I will once again say, 'We should not count Ukraine out', and not assume things are not happening behind the scenes. Because apparently, much is happening behind the scenes!
This CNN article is chock-full of info, and I think it's worth a more thorough read (it's not long). I tried to capture the most newsworthy bits in my excerpts.

But, I must draw your attention to my last, bottom-most excerpt; the excerpt explaining the lack of progress in the 'Russian 40 Mile Supply Convoy'. Yep. Uh-huh. Now, we know!
As I earlier said, and actually have said for days, I suspect there's a lot going-on behind the scenes, that we're not aware:

So now, there is one type of doomsayer, who I suppose I will now have to entertain more seriously:
I can't say I'm panicked or overly concerned about a World War, but I must admit I do believe we are in a proxy war, and that is an edge closer to the possibility.

I am not as optimistic as you, but this the 12 day and the season of mud approaches... in 9 days it should arrive and if Russia has not taken Kiev by then, the Russian supply situation should worsen.

After looking at some rather detailed videos it is clearer to me why the Russians have had difficulties. In short:

-They inserted paratroopers deep into Ukraine, only to have them surrounded and often eliminated.
-They failed to knockout the air force.
-They failed to prevent easy movement of Ukrainian forces.
-They had poor coordination between top cover fighters and ground attack aircraft.
-They failed to knock out communications, or command and control.
-They weren't prepared, plans were slapped together, commanders didn't even know of the offensive till the order was issued to cross the border. Maps were not provided, channels are for radio are unencrypted, etc.
-Ukrainians do not concentrate forces till needed, keeping them dispersed to lessen chances of being destroyed by artillery or air.
-Ukrainians learned all the Russian tricks from their years of conflict in the eastern Ukraine.
-Ukrainians have their own tricks, such as cheap domestic produced drones with bombs...kamakasie's if you will.

The most egregious problem, however, is Russia's military structure. Because roads are problematical in much of Russia, the army is built around rail transport. The theory, for self defense, makes sense. Lots of rail lines in Russia, and railroad repair battalions attached to units. However, Russians have many fewer trucks, and fewer fuel trucks, than US military. Moreover, while the west uses 'pull' supply (units order what they need) Russians use 'push' supply (top command decides what units need and don't need, and it is sent to all regardless of their needs).

They dispatched convoy, four abreast, shoulder to shoulder with no return lane. Because of the low number of trucks, maximum distance from a railhead is less than 90 miles (or Km, not sure). Ukrainians have blown their own rail lines and bridges. And Ukrainians have made fuel trucks their priority target.

It's worked. Russians have tried disguising fuel trucks, Ukrainians quickly caught on and used social media to distribute instructions and photos on how to detect them. Worse yet, going off road even now is very difficult because of mud...exacerbated by intentionally flooded fields (and the Russian destruction of a dam...kinda stupid, eh?)

Limited on food, fuel, and ammo...lead units of the convoy have been checked, and the line repeatedly attacked along its length.

Fer cryin' out loud, how secret can it be or stay now that its existence has been revealed. Are Russia's satellites shut down? Is there no way for them to search for and detect the huge increase in flights to the secret airfield?

Fer cryin' out loud, how secret can it be or stay now that its existence has been revealed. Are Russia's satellites shut down? Is there no way for them to search for and detect the huge increase in flights to the secret airfield?
They'd already suspect it and could already use whatever satellites they have. But even if they know where the base is, it's on NATO territory and they can't attack it, and it's near the western border where they don't have forces.

They'd already suspect it and could already use whatever satellites they have. But even if they know where the base is, it's on NATO territory and they can't attack it, and it's near the western border where they don't have forces.
So the problems that NATO has giving Ukraine a "no-fly zone" due to our being unable to shoot down Russian planes at will has a benefit. Russia cannot shoot down, or shoot upon, NATO forces on NATO territory at will. I wonder if anyone will remember this the next time someone demands a "no-fly zone" to save Europe.

So the problems that NATO has giving Ukraine a "no-fly zone" due to our being unable to shoot down Russian planes at will has a benefit. Russia cannot shoot down, or shoot upon, NATO forces on NATO territory at will. I wonder if anyone will remember this the next time someone demands a "no-fly zone" to save Europe.
Yup, it goes both ways. If Russia attacked a base in a NATO country, we'd have license to wipe them out in Ukraine, and even to launch attacks in Russia, though I think we'd try to keep it proportional. It'd be extremely dangerous but they'd have crossed the line.

Nah.
Pending any non-proliferation treaties they have signed, sovereign nations are free to do with their property as they please.
Free to donate it, free to sell it, and free to delay or even refrain from collecting payment if the buyer should be experiencing temporary financial issues.

WHY DID RUSSIA ATTACK THE UKRAINE?

[I can't say I'm panicked or overly concerned about a World War, but I must admit I do believe we are in a proxy war, and that is an edge closer to the possibility.

We who? The US is NOT in a proxy war. Russia will never ever attack NATO so the legal basis for the US joining "the present mess" is simply non-existent. It is nonetheless a defensive measure against the Russian invasion of an independent country.

The US and EU can help however by offering the means to defend itself to the existing government. As for Putin, he's a dead-duck but doesn't know it. Yet. Russia is diving into an economic-mess and wont recover for quite a while. (But, the Russians are still swayed by political-hype as before under Communism.)

The Ukraine is not a member of NATO. It does have an association agreement with NATO and therein is the reason that Russia has attacked the country. That agreement is to be found here.

Excerpt:
On 12 June 2020, Ukraine joined NATO's enhanced opportunity partner interoperability program. According to an official NATO statement, the new status "does not prejudge any decisions on NATO membership."

Which, if you ask me, is provocative and perhaps the reason why Russia attacked.

As for the predation that happened once Russia had dropped the "Soviet Union", that key bit of Russian history can be found here: Stealing Russia Blind

Excerpt:
How does someone who was unemployed twice in the 1990s become president of Russia in less than four years, and then by 2014 head the Forbes magazine list of “The World’s Most Powerful People”? In Vladimir Putin’s case, luck has clearly been involved. He has benefited (at least until recently) from a tenfold increase in the price of oil between 1999 and 2008. Inheriting one of the world’s two largest nuclear arsenals did not hurt either.

And Putin is not the only thief in Russia. All that capital (that escaped out of Russia) now being put under provisional seizure in the western-countries is sourced from the time the Soviet Union existed and upon closure was "wiped up" by a select group of individuals ...

PS: Worth a read if interested in historical background of the New Russia under Putin here:
The man who fought to sanction Putin and Russian Oligarchs, with Bill Browder

The US and Russia have had many proxy wars without it escalating to nuclear conflict. The problem here is that Putin has boxed himself in, where it's hard to see how he can continue in power.

Russia's Road to Autocracy

Excerpt:
Russia’s democratic collapse must rank as one of the most consequential setbacks among the third and fourth waves of democratization. A comprehensive explanation for Russia’s transition from autocracy and back again counts on both structure and agency, but leans toward agency. Structurally, Russia was forced to navigate democratic and market reforms while managing the dissolution of the Soviet empire. Yet the agency of individual actors may have played a more decisive role: It was Mikhail Gorbachev, not weakening state institutions or a failing command economy, who triggered regime change in the Soviet Union.

Following Gorbachev, Boris Yeltsin made decisions that undermined democratic consolidation and to some extent paved the way for future autocratic restoration. The most notable of these was Yeltsin’s naming of Vladimir Putin as his successor. While Russians may be shaped by historical legacies, immutable cultural norms, or static institutions, they are not trapped forever by them. If some Russians in the past made decisions that produced autocracy, others in the future might make choices that engender democracy.

The US and Russia have had many proxy wars without it escalating to nuclear conflict. The problem here is that Putin has boxed himself in, where it's hard to see how he can continue in power.

As long as he controls the Russian military-arm, he controls the country ...

TIME WILL TELL

As long as he controls the Russian military-arm, he controls the country ...

And time-after-time history tells us that such does not always last forever. The scheme just might make war slightly more inevitable as it did under Hitler.

But, though some might like to think that Putin is Russia's Hitler, that is not necessarily the whole truth. Let's remember that Putin "stole the Russian presidency" by doctoring the vote count. He's been winning the popular vote since the first "open" election in Russia (2002)? C'mon!

He thinks he's "glued" to the Russian-presidency for the rest of his life - but with the recent "financial closure" of Russian assets things may change very quickly. What does twenty-years (that he has been in power) mean in terms of the voting-constituency of Russia?

That there are a lot of very-young people who may question his obvious "stealth" of the Russian presidency! Also, the older people in their 30s/40s might be upset with what is going to happen to the Russian economy. (Of course they could blame the "European Union" but that wont help.)

Time will tell, as it always does ...

--

For several days now, I've been turning more pessimistic of Putin succeeding in his attempt to take Ukraine, or even Kyiv, much less his ability to hold either. And along the way, I've seen Biden derided for 'not leading, not doing enough'. I've seen doomsaying. I've seen some claim President Zylenksy is martyring himself.

However, I will once again say, 'We should not count Ukraine out', and not assume things are not happening behind the scenes. Because apparently, much is happening behind the scenes!

There is much that goes on behind the scenes. This President can keep his mouth shut, no need to brag on the day.

And along the way, I've seen Biden derided for 'not leading, not doing enough'.

Look, this is NOT America's war so let's stay the hell out of it! The Ukrainian Army does not need American recruits!

He's shipping firearms and the US head of the DoD is in Europe NOW overlooking the situation and assuring that what is needed is sent. Because nearly all-of-Europe are sending war-goods. So, all the war-material that the Ukraine Army needs will be aptly supplied by the EU.

In fact, that has already begun with a long line of different material being shipped to Poland by air then on to the Ukraine (just next door). (See here.)

But some spots are more strategic than others. Odessa is the key water-entry to the Ukraine by which it ships its products/produce out to the Arab and European markets. If the Russians "take" Odessa, that is one thing, and if it destroys Odessa that is quite another. (For the moment, they are doing nothing there.

Putin might be thinking that he can "take over" the Ukraine and make it a Russian-policed state. That aint-gonna-happin without a great-many Russian-army deaths "policing the nation" - the Ukranians just wont give up even if defeated militarily.

Which is what those living here in France that I know are saying ...

Last edited:
Look, this is NOT America's war so let's stay the hell out of it! The Ukrainian Army does not need American recruits!

He's shipping firearms and the US head of the DoD is in Europe NOW overlooking the situation and assuring that what is needed is sent. Because nearly all-of-Europe are sending war-goods. So, all the war-material that the Ukraine Army needs will be aptly supplied by the EU.

In fact, that has already begun with a long line of different material being shipped to Poland by air then on to the Ukraine (just next door). (See here.)

But some spots are more strategic than others. Odessa is the key water-entry to the Ukraine by which it ships its products/produce out to the Arab and European markets. If the Russians "take" Odessa, that is one thing, and if it destroys Odessa that is quite another. (For the moment, they are doing nothing there.

Putin might be thinking that he can "take over" the Ukraine and make it a Russian-policed state. That aint-gonna-happin without a great-many Russian-army deaths "policing the nation" - the Ukranians just wont give up even if defeated militarily.

Which is what those living here in France that I know are saying ...
I never called for American boots on the ground. It would be unacceptable to the American people.

No matter what they take how are they gonna keep it?

--

Biden needs to do as much as humanly and logically possible.

every day we delay, more Ukrainians die.

Which pretty much sums-up the story of his life.

He's first-class-jerk who knows well how to manipulate people. And the Russians should be ashamed of their so-called "democracy" ...

Such as…?

So given this point, I assume that “needs to do as much as humanly and logically possible” would mean stopping the invasion in the immediate term. So what would that be?

No, but there is huge devastation as they take it.
i'm talking about the "freedom fighters" and all the stuff the allies are gonna funnel to the Ukrainians even if Russia takes cities/areas. they're not gonna just give up and this could turn into a Vietnam or Northern Ireland for a decade.

If you mean American kids joining the massacre in the Ukraine then you are very, very wrong.

The US can do what everybody else is doing - helping the Ukraines defend their country by military-means.

But, that's all. As for Russia, with the total lock-down on everything by a corrupt and deranged person, it is up to the Russians to put the country right.

If they are up-to-it, which is a sad question to answer ...

they're not gonna just give up and this could turn into a Vietnam or Northern Ireland for a decade.

Very likely. There WILL be Ukrainians who will continue the fight against any Russian occupation.

Which is most certainly going to happen. It's a sad day for the Ukrainian people but unless Russia gets rid of this madman then not much is going to change ...

Back
Top Bottom