• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

As we grow older

once again Navy Pride;

Mr T. says: "I pity the fool that don't substantiate his claims!"

Sources, sources, sources.

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
once again Navy Pride;

Mr T. says: "I pity the fool that don't substantiate his claims!"

Sources, sources, sources.

Is Mr T your hero my friend?

most teachers/professors lean towards the left.. because liberalism focuses on change, whether for the good or the worse. Teachers and professors are supposed to be teaching young minds to think for themselves, examine all arguments and think out of the box. Thus.. liberalism is more prevalent in academic institutions.

Young people usually want to break from tradition, go for the new, thus liberalism is more appealing.

Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other. I never said conservatives are stupid; the factions I talked about in my previous post were the Social Conservatives and the Pro-Gov't Conservatives. You then turned around with your pundit website and said that conservatives are more highly educated than Liberals. This is the problem--you are treating all conservatives the same, when that's not true. THe highly educated groups of Conservatives are known as the Enterprisers, who are on rough educational par with Liberals. I will demonstrate according to Pew.

ENTERPRISERS

PAST TYPOLOGY COUNTERPART: Staunch Conservatives, Enterprisers
9% OF ADULT POPULATION
10% OF REGISTERED VOTERS
PARTY ID: 81% Republican, 18% Independent/No Preference, 1% Democrat (98% Rep/Lean Rep)

Characteristics:

Predominantly white (91%), male (76%) and financially well-off (62% have household incomes of at least $50,000, compared with 40% nationwide). Nearly half (46%) have a college degree, and 77% are married. Nearly a quarter (23%) are themselves military veterans.

Analysis:

As you can see, those who are Enterprisers are fairly intelligent. Over half of them have college degree. THey are also fairly well-off financially. Most are white males and married.

48% attend church weekly; 36% attend bible study or prayer group

This last factoid explains why the Enterprisers, despite being intelligent, have a very backwards, unintelligent social platform. They are religious drones and somehow turn their brains off when they get into the church.

Liberals, on the other hand, on average, have higher education. Whereas the Enterprisers have 46% college education, Liberals have over 49% education on the college level. Liberals are the most educated group. Substantiation:

LIBERALS
PAST TYPOLOGY COUNTERPART: Liberal Democrats/Seculars/60's Democrats
17% OF GENERAL POPULATION
19% OF REGISTERED VOTERS

Characteristics

BASIC DESCRIPTION: This group has nearly doubled in proportion since 1999. Liberal Democrats now comprise the largest share of Democrats. They are the most opposed to an assertive foreign policy, the most secular, and take the most liberal views on social issues such as homosexuality, abortion, and censorship. They differ from other Democratic groups in that they are strongly pro-environment and pro-immigration.

Predominantly white (83%), most highly educated group (49% have a college degree or more), and youngest group after Bystanders. Least religious group in typology: 43% report they seldom or never attend religious services; nearly a quarter (22%) are seculars. More than one-third never married (36%). Largest group residing in urban areas (42%) and in the western half the country (34%). Wealthiest Democratic group (41% earn at least $75,000).

Analysis

Although younger than the Enterprisers, Liberals are the most highly educated of them all, the least religious, and the most socially tolerant next to Libertarians (left and right).

Your problem is that you lump all conservatives together. They aren't a monolithic block

You can check Pew Methodology: It's reliable, and conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International. The Pew Research Center for the People and the Press is one of six projects that make up the The Pew Research Center. The Center is supported by The Pew Charitable Trusts.

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=950

Last edited:
Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
Insults without an argument I don't use. THere's nothing logically invalid about insults WITH stats to back you up.

Maybe not but it makes you look like the immature 13 year old that you are. Or just a foul mouthed atheist that has no class.

You forget that our private high schools and grade schools are religious affiliate are far more efficient than our public schools that have no religious affiliation.

George_Washington said:
Maybe not but it makes you look like the immature 13 year old that you are. Or just a foul mouthed atheist that has no class.

You forget that our private high schools and grade schools are religious affiliate are far more efficient than our public schools that have no religious affiliation.

The problem is at the high school and college level teachers should teach the subject they are paid to teach not lay their political beliefs on their students......

What say I? I say your full of conservoshit. Liberalism != emotion, but an analysis based on reason and logic.

:lol:

Reason and logic? What are you, a darn Vulcan? Liberalism is no more logical than anything else, ok Spock?

48% attend church weekly; 36% attend bible study or prayer group

This last factoid explains why the Enterprisers, despite being intelligent, have a very backwards, unintelligent social platform. They are religious drones and somehow turn their brains off when they get into the church.

Liberals, on the other hand, on average, have higher education. Whereas the Enterprisers have 46% college education, Liberals have over 49% education on the college level. Liberals are the most educated group. Substantiation:

LIBERALS
PAST TYPOLOGY COUNTERPART: Liberal Democrats/Seculars/60's Democrats
17% OF GENERAL POPULATION
19% OF REGISTERED VOTERS

Characteristics

BASIC DESCRIPTION: This group has nearly doubled in proportion since 1999. Liberal Democrats now comprise the largest share of Democrats. They are the most opposed to an assertive foreign policy, the most secular, and take the most liberal views on social issues such as homosexuality, abortion, and censorship. They differ from other Democratic groups in that they are strongly pro-environment and pro-immigration.

Predominantly white (83%), most highly educated group (49% have a college degree or more), and youngest group after Bystanders. Least religious group in typology: 43% report they seldom or never attend religious services; nearly a quarter (22%) are seculars. More than one-third never married (36%). Largest group residing in urban areas (42%) and in the western half the country (34%). Wealthiest Democratic group (41% earn at least $75,000).

Analysis

Although younger than the Enterprisers, Liberals are the most highly educated of them all, the least religious, and the most socially tolerant next to Libertarians (left and right).

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=950

So, is what you're saying is that anyone who studies religion is a mindless drone? (If they are White, Conservative Males?) And that most liberals, who are secular, are more intelligent? I find that hard to believe since most libbies are hippies, and most hippies smoked pot at one time. And kids, we all know what pot does to your brain, right? It can really screw you up, man!

Technocratic, I'm glad that you use stats ans facts to enhance your argument (you're one of the few that do); but your liberal antics remind me of Abbie Hoffman (I guess that's how you spell his 1st name).

I'm going to make a prediction now: Technocratic will ask for some facts to back up my claims that most liberals are hippies (except that it is my own personal opinion) then he/she will ask me if I know who the Hell Abbie Hoffman is. But I once saw a movie about Abbie Hoffman, it starred that one dude who plays Det. Gorm in Law & Order: CI. But from what I saw in that movie, Hoffman was a bad boy.

George_Washington said:

From the amount of posts i have seen from this guy, it is pure disrespect. No sene on how to argue! He goes off and insults the person first rather than the statement! To start of this way, makes your whole arguement very weak! He needs to learn some logic himself before he critisizes conservatives! He has a very immature perspective of things. Im sure, once he "grows older" :lol: he will begin to understand! If it is possible for him!

George_Washington said:

Are you debating or ranting?
Point 1, if you are going to call someone an immature 13 year old, give us your age as well. I am 59, and perhaps I can call you an immature 20 year old? One would expect a 13 year old to be immature, but an adult who acts immature is far worse.
Point 2, I expect in some areas that the private schools are better, but not in all areas. A blanket statement such as yours is invalid from the start.
Especially if you cannot offer up some sources to back you up.

In my experience, it is not the liberals or the conservatives who accomplish the most, but the one who stays away from the extremists at either end of the political specturm and just goes out and gets the job done. The talker is often not the doer.
Our founding fathers met, and argued, and compromised for the betterment of society. The liberals and conservatives of today have no such selfless agenda, they just want the power to control others. That is not good behavior, whether you are a believer or not.
Even tho I am a Christian, the government that I fear the most is one in which religious leaders have too much influence. There is only one religious leader who I would trust, and that is Jesus himself. The ones who are here now have selfish and unrighteous motivations.

I once had a law studies teacher who gave me a 'D' overall in her class because she didn't like my opinions. The crazy thing is tho, she wanted our opinions and we were graded just for turning in a page of opinions.

She was against the Patriot Act, I was 60% for it, so I got marked off. She was against the Death Penalty, I'm for it; so she marked me off. But the Homo 3 rows over agreed with her 90% of the time; no wonder he got an 'A.'

I also had an assignment to do where I had to explain what I would do if I were in a convenience store while it was being robbed. I just wrote that I would tackle the robber when he wasn't looking, take his gun and shoot him if he tried to get up before the cops arrived. All I got on the paper was a big, fat "F". Most of the class said that they would've handed over their wallets and waited for the robber to leave before calling the cops.

I was glad when the class was over. She even invited liberal groups like the ACLU to class. This one crackpot from the ACLU said that he wouldn't give Hussein or Bin Laden the death penalty, cuz they're human beings. SO!!!

But really the whole point of this post was to point out that there are liberal teachers at high schools, especially in Law Studies. Although most of my teachers were JFK Democrats, I only had one who could be classified as "Liberal". I can tolerate "Regular" Democrats; not "Liberal" Democrats.

Utah Bill, you speak the truth! Even though I'm 18, I know (cuz my 57 yr. old Dad told me) that with old age comes great wisdom. Except in some cases, which are always debatable.

UtahBill said:
Are you debating or ranting?
Point 1, if you are going to call someone an immature 13 year old, give us your age as well. I am 59, and perhaps I can call you an immature 20 year old? One would expect a 13 year old to be immature, but an adult who acts immature is far worse.
Point 2, I expect in some areas that the private schools are better, but not in all areas. A blanket statement such as yours is invalid from the start.
Especially if you cannot offer up some sources to back you up.

I'm in my twenties, I just don't like people who come on here and constantly call other people names, put them down, and don't have respect for them. As far as schools go, check out most states public high schools versus private schools and the private ones usually perform better.

In my experience, it is not the liberals or the conservatives who accomplish the most, but the one who stays away from the extremists at either end of the political specturm and just goes out and gets the job done. The talker is often not the doer.
Our founding fathers met, and argued, and compromised for the betterment of society. The liberals and conservatives of today have no such selfless agenda, they just want the power to control others. That is not good behavior, whether you are a believer or not.
Even tho I am a Christian, the government that I fear the most is one in which religious leaders have too much influence. There is only one religious leader who I would trust, and that is Jesus himself. The ones who are here now have selfish and unrighteous motivations.

Agreed, we should trust in Jesus over men.

Big problem, tho, trusting in Jesus to run our government. He isn't here, and his self appointed spokespersons are weak minded men who will get it all wrong. Until then, we should trust Jesus to run our lives, but Him only, not Paul, not the preacher, pastor, priest, etc. Very few of them can handle the job.

UtahBill said:
Big problem, tho, trusting in Jesus to run our government. He isn't here, and his self appointed spokespersons are weak minded men who will get it all wrong. Until then, we should trust Jesus to run our lives, but Him only, not Paul, not the preacher, pastor, priest, etc. Very few of them can handle the job.

Well yeah we should trust in Jesus above all else but I wouldn't say that all pastors or priests are corrupt by any means. There are some good ones out there I think we can also trust in. I know several good Priests and there are kind pastors out there like Billy Graham and others.

George_Washington said:
Agreed, we should trust in Jesus over men.

Trust in Jesus? I agree, except don't let Technocratic catch you talking about Jesus. He/She will want you to list facts that Jesus actually existed in the first place. Then Technocratic will probably call you a mindless drone for being part of a religion... LOL.

I made a thread about liberalism awhile back.

I think it was titled "I think we got duped"

Search for it, I thought I explained it all well...

Going WAAAAY far back in the thread,

George_Washington said:

There is a simple explanation for this phenomenon; pay grades. The pay at private schools is far above that of under-funded public schools. As they say; "Talent goes where the money is", and the money is in private institutions. Not only do private schools have better teachers and facilities, students are usually instilled with a better sense of the worth of the education they receive. This, and the fact that a stricter disciplinary regime is allowed, keeps preformance at private schools much higher than at public schools. (not counting magnet schools)

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
Going WAAAAY far back in the thread,

There is a simple explanation for this phenomenon; pay grades. The pay at private schools is far above that of under-funded public schools. As they say; "Talent goes where the money is", and the money is in private institutions. Not only do private schools have better teachers and facilities, students are usually instilled with a better sense of the worth of the education they receive. This, and the fact that a stricter disciplinary regime is allowed, keeps preformance at private schools much higher than at public schools. (not counting magnet schools)

I went to both public and private catholic schools and the teachers at the private schools were much more dedicated to teaching and not espousing their political beliefs.........I am not saying that all public school teachers don't care but a hell of a lot of them don't.........

I went to public school and only one teacher, that I know of, didn't care. He just taught the class and if you didn't want to learn the material he sent ya up to the office and gave ya an 'F' for the day.

I went to both public and private catholic schools and the teachers at the private schools were much more dedicated to teaching and not espousing their political beliefs.........I am not saying that all public school teachers don't care but a hell of a lot of them don't.........
That's my point, who gives a **** at what they get paid? You have to put up with "punk ass kids" everyday and get paid peanuts to do it. Would you care much? The whole thing about political views in the class room is kind of dumb though. Any class in which I've debated any kind of politics it has been more of an open forum for the students and the teacher just sits back and steps in when things get out of hand. Of all the teachers I've had, I have only found out the political leanings of four of them (all history/civics teachers) and 3 of them were republicans (one apparently rabidly so, he was the sponsor for the "Young Republicans" club),

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
That's my point, who gives a **** at what they get paid? You have to put up with "punk ass kids" everyday and get paid peanuts to do it. Would you care much? The whole thing about political views in the class room is kind of dumb though. Any class in which I've debated any kind of politics it has been more of an open forum for the students and the teacher just sits back and steps in when things get out of hand. Of all the teachers I've had, I have only found out the political leanings of four of them (all history/civics teachers) and 3 of them were republicans (one apparently rabidly so, he was the sponsor for the "Young Republicans" club),

Same with my classes. It was Open discussion until the swearing and name calling got out of hand.

Most of my Teachers I never knew their political affiliation, nor did I care to ask, cuz most of them were cool anyways. I was at school to learn, not to **** off my teachers; except my Law Studies teacher. She was a pinko and a commie.

George_Washington said:
Well yeah we should trust in Jesus above all else but I wouldn't say that all pastors or priests are corrupt by any means. There are some good ones out there I think we can also trust in. I know several good Priests and there are kind pastors out there like Billy Graham and others.
Dig a little and you will find that Papa Graham is turning his ministry over to Franklin, who has a sordid past as a drinker and womanizer. He repented, but that is only part of the issue. Both he and his father have made anti-semetic remarks. Evangelists who are intolerant of other religions have no place in
government. They are unable to govern without bias.
On the other hand, television evangelists turned government officials could probably raise enough money from gullible Christians to balance the federal budget.:2razz:

UtahBill said:
Dig a little and you will find that Papa Graham is turning his ministry over to Franklin, who has a sordid past as a drinker and womanizer. He repented, but that is only part of the issue. Both he and his father have made anti-semetic remarks. Evangelists who are intolerant of other religions have no place in
On the other hand, television evangelists turned government officials could probably raise enough money from gullible Christians to balance the federal budget.:2razz:

Those Televangelists are scam artists! I'll put money in the collection plate at my church, but to send these guys money is out of the question. I don't even trust the new Pope! His eyes look shifty. All I trust is my family, my close friends, my little church, and my Bible. No one else.

UtahBill said:

I've seen Billy Graham in television and in person and I've never him make an anti-semetic remark. Can you provide some quotes?

Back
Top Bottom