• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Article about mask wearing from Herman Cain's website. What REALLY do we lose by trying?

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
CDC director: If everyone wears a mask right now, we can get the virus under control in 4-to-8 weeks

From Herman Cain's editor. (prior to Mr Cain's death)

I don’t really want to make this a discussion about the legalities of mask mandates. As you already know, I have issues with that as well.

This is simply about what can be accomplished if we do wear them, not whether this or that politician has the right to force us to. If we stay on that path, I think we’ll be getting somewhere.

I know a lot of you don’t trust the Centers for Disease Control, and not without some reason. They are certainly not infallible sages and their track record throughout this whole dumpster fire of an ordeal has clearly not been perfect.

But if what we want is the end of the pandemic – and it is, isn’t it? – then isn’t it intriguing to consider what CDC Director Robert Redfield suggested on Tuesday? If we’re all willing to get on board, there just might be a way to finally bring this to an end inside of two months:

If everyone in the U.S. wore a mask, the coronavirus pandemic could be “under control” within four to eight weeks, Centers for the Disease Control and Prevention director Robert Redfield said in a discussion led by medical journal JAMA on Tuesday.

Seiously, what is to lose?

CDC director: If everyone wears a mask right now, we can get the virus under control in 4-to-8 weeks

Then why didn't the man follow his own advice? It's really a very sad story.

As for me, I eschew the public company of those that don't wear masks. Ditto for those that refuse to maintain proper social distancing. Fortunately, I'm in an area that has pretty decent mitigation compliance. But, I still very much avoid places & areas of crowding, poor compliance, or other irresponsible behaviour.

It was not his own advice (it was on his site but it was not him who published it) AND see post #2 - it was only published 2+ weeks AFTER he already was hospitalized with covid.

Of course I think the bull**** about the CDC is bull****. The CDC has been hobbled at almost every turn by Dear Leader.
Sick of the bull**** narratives by Trump ... about EVERYTHING.

Yes, if everyone would just be considerate and cooperative ... if they HAD been considerate and cooperative, we'd kick COVID's ass in short order.

As for me, I eschew the public company of those that don't wear masks. Ditto for those that refuse to maintain proper social distancing. Fortunately, I'm in an area that has pretty decent mitigation compliance. But, I still very much avoid places & areas of crowding, poor compliance, or other irresponsible behaviour.

This is from his editor. I applaud the thought. Everyone do the mask/social distance/hygiene/ avoid crowds - what is there to lose ? It is not difficult, and it is certainly better for the economy that this whack a mole thing we got going on now.

It would mean those who don't like being told what to do would have to acquiesce, which is generally a no-no in that line of thinking.

We have rules all over the place....this would be one that if most followed the rules the pay off in lives saved and economy given strong potential to bounce back much quicker.

It really seems like some don't want to do it - in case science was right and they don't to look stupid. Especially before an election.

There has been a major shift here in AZ regarding mask wearing. Even on my hiking trail people are putting on a mask as they pass one another. I'm seeing 100% compliance at the stores I go to. I don't go out a ton but from what I saw a month ago I am seeing big time improvement. The numbers here are trending down at a nice pace. No doubt shutting down the bars was huge but mask wearing must be helping as well. Even some of my anti mask friends are getting on board, not that they agree with it, but more that they see the momentum of more people complying. Statistics show that social mobility went down when mask mandates were put into place. Having less people out and about is helping. I think also the positive reinforcement of falling numbers is a good motivator to keep things up. AZ has the best Rt numbers right now with .84 and it leads the nations.

Rt: Effective Reproduction Number

We have rules all over the place....this would be one that if most followed the rules the pay off in lives saved and economy given strong potential to bounce back much quicker.

It really seems like some don't want to do it - in case science was right and they don't to look stupid. Especially before an election.

Yep, I know. It's why that line of think is childish, in my opinion. It's the grown up version of this:

r770435_6551566.jpg

Oh wait....we do have an example of the grown up version of this:

GetFile.aspx

There has been a major shift here in AZ regarding mask wearing. Even on my hiking trail people are putting on a mask as they pass one another. I'm seeing 100% compliance at the stores I go to. I don't go out a ton but from what I saw a month ago I am seeing big time improvement. The numbers here are trending down at a nice pace. No doubt shutting down the bars was huge but mask wearing must be helping as well. Even some of my anti mask friends are getting on board, not that they agree with it, but more that they see the momentum of more people complying. Statistics show that social mobility went down when mask mandates were put into place. Having less people out and about is helping. I think also the positive reinforcement of falling numbers is a good motivator to keep things up. AZ has the best Rt numbers right now with .84 and it leads the nations.

Rt: Effective Reproduction Number

California is starting to look good, but there has been a glitch in reporting from one of the major labs....so the results for positives in the community may be off. Fingers crossed!

Everybody around here is wearing masks and distancing. We have beach a few blocks away and it was good to see distancing and even masks! The folks I didn't see in masks looked like family groups that were a good way away from others. Our town I think has had less than two hundred positives.

California did well until the holidays. Memorial Day/Graduations/July fourth opened the flood gates. Boy did our Governor have a conniption fit. :lamo I worry about Labor Day weekend. Every state should worry.

California is starting to look good, but there has been a glitch in reporting from one of the major labs....so the results for positives in the community may be off. Fingers crossed!

Everybody around here is wearing masks and distancing. We have beach a few blocks away and it was good to see distancing and even masks! The folks I didn't see in masks looked like family groups that were a good way away from others. Our town I think has had less than two hundred positives.

California did well until the holidays. Memorial Day/Graduations/July fourth opened the flood gates. Boy did our Governor have a conniption fit. :lamo I worry about Labor Day weekend. Every state should worry.

I'm glad to hear that because we have been getting a lot of Californians coming to AZ for vacation.

Another positive for AZ is that we recently had a backlog of 62k tests un processed. This caused massive waiting times between testing sometimes resulting in up to 16 day waits for results. We had 9 hour waits just to get tested. We are now all caught up and better prepared for future surges. The waiting time for test results is coming way down to like 2 or 3 days from an average 8.5 days. I think this is why we are seeing such a great result from our Rt numbers. People have less time to be spreading the virus in between getting results.

Hopefully, states get smart and shut down any possible group gatherings over labor day.

It would mean those who don't like being told what to do would have to acquiesce, which is generally a no-no in that line of thinking.

I think back to when I was young and extremely stupid. It was Illinois in the early 80's and I was in college. I drove back country roads in a 1974 Dodge at extremely high rates of speed and I didn't wear a seatbelt. Then they passed a law forcing people to wear seatbelts and I was peeved. I hadn't worn a seatbelt for most of my life at that time. But it carried with it a fine and I didn't have any spare cash so I bucked up.

I am SO THANKFUL that someone FORCED me to grow up and do the right thing and establish in me a good life-long habit. Honestly I was too stupid for my own good. If it weren't for rational people forcing me to do the right thing there's a real chance things could have been much, much worse for me.

Same thing with masks. Just force people to grow up and do the right thing. This whole "Freedom" stuff is facile stupidity for people who don't think particularly deeply but they have this stupid idea that if they "stand" for something like this it means they are "principled". Ugh.

A very good case was made for wearing masks when two employees at a hair salon ( tested positive for Covid 19 after ) they worked on over 100 customers and none of the customers got Covid 19 apparently because of the mask rule. Both the employees and the customers wore masks.

Missouri Great Clips hairstylists with coronavirus did not infect 140 clients

It was not his own advice (it was on his site but it was not him who published it) AND see post #2 - it was only published 2+ weeks AFTER he already was hospitalized with covid.
This is from his editor. I applaud the thought. Everyone do the mask/social distance/hygiene/ avoid crowds - what is there to lose ? It is not difficult, and it is certainly better for the economy that this whack a mole thing we got going on now.
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I missed that this was not the deceased's post.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I missed that this was not the deceased's post.

Someone posting on his behalf, trying to make the best of a tragic situation.

I was praying that Cain would come out of this and be the clear voice to those who resist wearing a mask, social distancing, and crowd avoidance. We needed someone on the right who has experienced how bad this thing is to be a rational voice on this. Clearly our President has no desire to do this...he wants crowds packed in adoring him (from a distance that is safe for him!)Pack in the unmasked and have the yell and scream your name and catch phrases!

Back
Top Bottom