• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Army approves Purple Hearts for soldiers wounded in 2009 Fort Hood shooting

WCH

Believer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Army approves Purple Hearts for soldiers wounded in 2009 Fort Hood shooting - The Washington Post

Army Secretary John McHugh said Friday that he has approved awarding the Purple Heart and its civilian counterpart to those wounded during a mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009, following years of pressure from families and a change in rules approved by Congress.

The Nov. 5, 2009, shooting killed 13 people and wounded more than 30. It was carried out by Maj. Nidal Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, who was convicted in August 2013 of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. Hasan said he acted because of what he alleged was U.S. aggression against Muslims and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He offered no apology during trial, and was sentenced to death.

snip...

About damn time.

From Imam Obama's school
of thinking.

l3CiDka.gif

credits to
MeshugeMikey

Army approves Purple Hearts for soldiers wounded in 2009 Fort Hood shooting - The Washington Post

Army Secretary John McHugh said Friday that he has approved awarding the Purple Heart and its civilian counterpart to those wounded during a mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009, following years of pressure from families and a change in rules approved by Congress.

The Nov. 5, 2009, shooting killed 13 people and wounded more than 30. It was carried out by Maj. Nidal Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, who was convicted in August 2013 of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. Hasan said he acted because of what he alleged was U.S. aggression against Muslims and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He offered no apology during trial, and was sentenced to death.

snip...

About damn time.

About damn time indeed.
:applaud:applaud:applaud:applaud

I bet it made Obama upset, though.

So does this mean that the Major is now considered a terrorist or enemy combatant?

Or does this mean that anybody who is injured or killed on a military post can now get the Purple Heart?

Sorry, but mark me down as not agreeing with this. And it is very hypocritical when the administration still only sees the incident as "workplace violence" and can never call a terrorist a terrorist. Doing this is nothing more then a PR stunt to me, by an administration that really does not give a damn about those who were killed. Only that they look good by seeming to care.

snip...

About damn time.

I don't think so. Its a bit like awarding one for being hit by a drunk driver... My sympathies are with them, but it's a different scenario. e may as well give congressional awards / purple hearts to those injured in the Boston bombing as well then.

I don't think so. Its a bit like awarding one for being hit by a drunk driver... My sympathies are with them, but it's a different scenario. e may as well give congressional awards / purple hearts to those injured in the Boston bombing as well then.

Your understanding of war, military matters is severely lacking. These were uniformed service members attacked on a military installation by a person who was acting as an agent of the enemy killing and wounding them in a place that they were vulnerable. The travesty of calling this a work place violence event has finally been corrected to a point. Your sad attempt to cast this as no different then the boston bombings is a prime example of your inability to grasp the big picture. I believe this is due to a highly limited pov warped by a political lens.

The Boston bombers didn't holler Allah Akbar while doing their carnage.

Your understanding of war, military matters is severely lacking. These were uniformed service members attacked on a military installation by a person who was acting as an agent of the enemy killing and wounding them in a place that they were vulnerable. The travesty of calling this a work place violence event has finally been corrected to a point. Your sad attempt to cast this as no different then the boston bombings is a prime example of your inability to grasp the big picture. I believe this is due to a highly limited pov warped by a political lens.

Not lacking at all. A bad situation yes, but does a guy hit by a jeep in Afghanistan get a purple heart? Not likely. The trouble with the new scenario, is that their have people, since the first award was given, who've had their ass in the grass and earned a purple heart; what about them?

And it is no different than the Boston bombing at all: so if a uniformed individual was injured in Boston, that person should've received a purple heart?

Nahh.

The Boston bombers didn't holler Allah Akbar while doing their carnage.

Maybe they said it quietly. You don't know.

Not lacking at all. A bad situation yes, but does a guy hit by a jeep in Afghanistan get a purple heart? Not likely. The trouble with the new scenario, is that their have people, since the first award was given, who've had their ass in the grass and earned a purple heart; what about them?

And it is no different than the Boston bombing at all: so if a uniformed individual was injured in Boston, that person should've received a purple heart?

Nahh.

If the jeep was driven by an enemy combatant. Yes. If there are active duty wounded by enemy action... Yes.

If the jeep was driven by an enemy combatant. Yes. If there are active duty wounded by enemy action... Yes.

You're way out on limb. Shouldn't victims of the Boston bombing receive a presidential medal too then? Should a military person injured in Boston receive a purple heart?

:roll:

You're way out on limb. Shouldn't victims of the Boston bombing receive a presidential medal too then? Should a military person injured in Boston receive a purple heart?

:roll:

No limb, I'm well ground and sure. If a soldier is actively participating in any copacity and is wounded by enemy action.... thats grounds for a purple heart.

No limb, I'm well ground and sure. If a soldier is actively participating in any copacity and is wounded by enemy action.... thats grounds for a purple heart.

what ever

So is it the motive of the attacker that determines they get a purple heart? What if the attacker was just a crazy person who wanted to go out in a blaze of glory? What if the attacker target the military because he believes military has grown to large and powerful and wanted to make a violent statement? Should they get Purple Hearts in both of those cases as well?

But those at Fort Hood were not wounded by "enemy action", they were wounded in what the President himself considers to be a "workplace shooting".

Since when are O-4 Majors/Lieutenant Commanders in the US military considered to be "enemy combatants"? And an Army base in Texas as "enemy territory"?

But those at Fort Hood were not wounded by "enemy action", they were wounded in what the President himself considers to be a "workplace shooting".

Since when are O-4 Majors/Lieutenant Commanders in the US military considered to be "enemy combatants"? And an Army base in Texas as "enemy territory"?
Doesn't have to be, nor did I SAY enemy territory. They were attacked by an enemy combatant, Maj. Nidal Hasan who chose to side with the enemy and attacked as they would so surely love to. So yes, they earned their purple hearts, and those that did not survive the attack their families can get the benefits and see their loved ones properly treated as war dead.

They were attacked by an enemy combatant, Maj. Nidal Hasan who chose to side with the enemy and attacked as they would so surely love to.

So if I go crazy, charge into my unit and start shooting my OIC and NCIOC while shouting "Allah Akbar" they should be entitled to Purple Hearts also?

Sorry, the individual that did that was not an enemy combatant but a US Soldier. That does not make him an "enemy combatant", no matter what you think. If some PFC looses it and decides to frag his platoon leader, does that entitle him to a Purple Heart also? If I am riding in a HMMWV with some idiot Captain and he flips and kills it does that mean my family gets the Purple Heart, because the O-3 was a freaking idiot?

I am one of those that finds it offensive when it is attempted to water down awards given by the US military. This is disrespectful to those who have legitimately earned their Purple Hearts. And it is also contradictory when the administration continues to try and treat this not as terrorism but as a case of workplace violence. It is contradictory in the extreme in fact.

So if I go crazy, charge into my unit and start shooting my OIC and NCIOC while shouting "Allah Akbar" they should be entitled to Purple Hearts also?

Sorry, the individual that did that was not an enemy combatant but a US Soldier. That does not make him an "enemy combatant", no matter what you think. If some PFC looses it and decides to frag his platoon leader, does that entitle him to a Purple Heart also? If I am riding in a HMMWV with some idiot Captain and he flips and kills it does that mean my family gets the Purple Heart, because the O-3 was a freaking idiot?

I am one of those that finds it offensive when it is attempted to water down awards given by the US military. This is disrespectful to those who have legitimately earned their Purple Hearts. And it is also contradictory when the administration continues to try and treat this not as terrorism but as a case of workplace violence. It is contradictory in the extreme in fact.

He wasn't a US Soldier at the moment he pulled those guns, he was a terrorist acting as an agent of the enemy killing service members on base.

I also smell BS on all your claims buddy.

The Pentagon changed it from the Political namby pamby PC BS "workplace violence" to what it was, a terrorist attack.

So does this mean that the Major is now considered a terrorist or enemy combatant?

Or does this mean that anybody who is injured or killed on a military post can now get the Purple Heart?

Sorry, but mark me down as not agreeing with this. And it is very hypocritical when the administration still only sees the incident as "workplace violence" and can never call a terrorist a terrorist. Doing this is nothing more then a PR stunt to me, by an administration that really does not give a damn about those who were killed. Only that they look good by seeming to care.

he was a terrorist,i was on fort hood when the shooting occured,but on the opposite side of post and was stuck on lockdown.some people in my unit were at the site when it happened,and had to go through alot of counseling and therapy for it.infact some people in my old unit and the neighboring units dealt with him prior to the event,and claimed he was crazy beforehand.

ofcourse the army does little to nothing against officers.atleast then they didnt.now if someone says officer xyz is a loose screw,they pay closer attention to them.as far as his terrorist tie,i dobt anyone who dealt with him knew about them,but ofcourse the evidence is in black and white,and it was clearly a terrorist attack.

Back
Top Bottom