• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are you proud to be American?

Are you proud to be American?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I'm a liberal, let me plead the 5th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Willoughby said:
why is it sad..i think its nice. Not sure there is much to be proud of

Agreed. Being proud to be American is like being proud to be white. Being American and/or being white are just accidents of birth. The only difference is that one of those conceits is socially acceptable/encouraged, while the other is not.

I like to ask people what exactly they're believing in by being "patriotic." Supporting their government no matter what its policies? Worshipping a piece of cloth on a flagpole? Belief that foreigners are inferior? I can't for the life of me figure it out. Patriotism is meaningless. I will support my government only when it deserves support.

Kandahar said:
Agreed. Being proud to be American is like being proud to be white. Being American and/or being white are just accidents of birth. The only difference is that one of those conceits is socially acceptable/encouraged, while the other is not.

I like to ask people what exactly they're believing in by being "patriotic." Supporting their government no matter what its policies? Worshipping a piece of cloth on a flagpole? Belief that foreigners are inferior? I can't for the life of me figure it out. Patriotism is meaningless. I will support my government only when it deserves support.

Well lucky for you that there are patriotic men and women standing by to protect you if another country attacks our soil. And because you are American you can choose not to be proud of your country and even shout the things you dislike about the government from the rooftops all because you're blessed to be an American. And if you are really unhappy about the way things are going you can vote in all the elections and use your vote to try and change all that you are unhappy with.

And since you were born here you are blessed with all the rights that all Americans have and you can stay and benefit from them or leave anytime you'd like. You can even stay, benefit, and complain vs stay, benefit, and be proud. You can try to change things that bother you to make America an even greater place or you can just not care. Either way there are men and women who will die to protect your country, your home, your soil regardless if you give a **** or not.

Plus being proud to be an American does not mean you think foreigners are inferior, support everything your government does, or worship the flag.

Last edited:
talloulou said:
Well lucky for you that there are patriotic men and women standing by to protect you if another country attacks our soil. And because you are American you can choose not to be proud of your country and even shout the things you dislike about the government from the rooftops all because you're blessed to be an American. And if you are really unhappy about the way things are going you can vote in all the elections and use your vote to try and change all that you are unhappy with.

And since you were born here you are blessed with all the rights that all Americans have and you can stay and benefit from them or leave anytime you'd like. You can even stay, benefit, and complain vs stay, benefit, and be proud. You can try to change things that bother you to make America an even greater place or you can just not care. Either way there are men and women who will die to protect your country, your home, your soil regardless if you give a **** or not.

Who said I dislike being American? That's different than being proud of it. I don't dislike white people either, but I'm not proud to be white.

talloulou said:
Plus being proud to be an American does not mean you think foreigners are inferior, support everything your government does, or worship the flag.

What does it mean then? I honestly haven't the faintest clue of what beliefs are common to you "patriots" that the rest of us do not share.

Quite proud (though respectful might be a better term) to be an American.....not so proud that ptsdkid is one as well.

thats what it would appear to mean on these forums!

tecoyah said:
Quite proud (though respectful might be a better term) to be an American.....not so proud that ptsdkid is one as well.

Not a rant or a preach but.....

Me and pskid Do Not share a lot of the same ideas but I for one am proud and respectful of him.
Same goes for Navy Pride and Oldreliable all of these men served in Vietnam and will forever have my respect for the service and sacrifices they made.

Pskid, Navy Pride, Old reliable, Stace and Gunny are all members I am respectful and proud to call a brother or sister in arms.
Do I agree with them all the times? Hell no…lol…

I am proud to be an American and I REPSECT the flag for what it stands for I do not worship it.

Willoughby said:
thats what it would appear to mean on these forums!

Why? Are you saying that all the people on this forum who would agree that they are proud to be an American would equally agree that they support EVERYTHING their government does? Or that they worship the flag? Or that they are superiour to foreigners?

That seems slightly ridiculous to me.

talloulou said:
Why? Are you saying that all the people on this forum who would agree that they are proud to be an American would equally agree that they support EVERYTHING their government does? Or that they worship the flag? Or that they are superiour to foreigners?

You haven't answered my question. What does being a patriot mean, if not any of those things? What does being "proud to be an American" entail?

i didn't mean to tar all members with the same brush but some members to bang on about anti-americanism a lot. basically anything that is not their ideas are anti-american, i am not sure you would get that one forums that focused on other countries

cherokee said:
Not a rant or a preach but.....

Me and pskid Do Not share a lot of the same ideas but I for one am proud and respectful of him.
Same goes for Navy Pride and Oldreliable all of these men served in Vietnam and will forever have my respect for the service and sacrifices they made.

Pskid, Navy Pride, Old reliable, Stace and Gunny are all members I am respectful and proud to call a brother or sister in arms.
Do I agree with them all the times? Hell no…lol…

4 of the 5 listed do not spew hatred, and bile onto this board.....and I also have great respect for them, partially for the service, and partially for the intellect.

of the 5 listed do not spew hatred, and bile onto this board

ooo. i am interested to know who these people are

Cherokee, thanks for the kind words. Veterans are a knowledgeable lot, aren't we? Politics is my baby, and I won't give up the fight in defending America and it's cause until I cleanse the country from this liberal filth.

I was a little surprised to see you disagreed with me on certain subjects. Please, if there are any particular issues that I could help you with--feel free to ask. My services are always available down here in the uncensored basement.

Kandahar said:
You haven't answered my question. What does being a patriot mean, if not any of those things? What does being "proud to be an American" entail?

Well I can only answer for myself so to me PATRIOTIC means love of ones country. It doesn't mean you find your country flawless and superior...it means you love it despite any flaws. To me it is the greatest nation because it's part of who I am. Americans are my people. They are like my family. They may bicker, fight, and agree to disagree but when it comes down to it I love my family more than any others because they are part of who I am and I love my country because it is part of who I am. I was born an American and I will always be an America. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy travelling the globe but it does mean America is and always will be my home and I will always talk of home with a sense of pride.

Politics is my baby, and I won't give up the fight in defending America and it's cause until I cleanse the country from this liberal filth.
Liberals make up a large percentage of the popualation, so you are going to "defeng" the US by hating about a 1/3 of it?
Well I can only answer for myself so to me PATRIOTIC means love of ones country. It doesn't mean you find your country flawless and superior...it means you love it despite any flaws. To me it is the greatest nation because it's part of who I am. Americans are my people. They are like my family. They may bicker, fight, and agree to disagree but when it comes down to it I love my family more than any others because they are part of who I am and I love my country because it is part of who I am. I was born an American and I will always be an America. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy travelling the globe but it does mean America is and always will be my home and I will always talk of home with a sense of pride.
I feel almost exactly the same way towards humanity, I guess I am a "human patriot".

Comrade Brian said:
Liberals make up a large percentage of the popualation, so you are going to "defeng" the US by hating about a 1/3 of it?

I feel almost exactly the same way towards humanity, I guess I am a "human patriot".

***I don't hate anyone. Its this 1/3 Americans that seem to hate our country by always ragging on it, not supporting our troops or president, siding with the enemy etc that made me pose the question 'Are you proud to be American'? We all understand that our country and government has it's flaws no matter who is president, but to me, showing pride in country is something totally alien to a liberal's mindset and actions. Please give me an example of a liberal showing pride in our country by leaving out his reservations and negativity.

My father made a career out of the military. I served 4 years regular Army.

Of course, I'm glad I'm an American, and yes, I'll even go so far to say I'm proud to be an American.

But let's just say I'm a little more embarrassed these days. We've lost our American ideals and we've lost focus on what truely makes America great.

Comrade Brian said:

I hear you and I understand your point. It's not like I don't care about humanity, I do. If my neighbor was in trouble I'd be concerned. But I have to admit if my neighbors family and my family were in trouble the concern for my own family would be deeper. That doesn't mean my neighbor and I couldn't work together to help our families it just means if it came down to it I'd put my family first. In that same way I put my concern for my country first. That doesn't mean I'm blind to the problems and injustices in the world nor does it mean I don't care about anyone who lives beyond my country's borders, it just means my country comes first in my heart.

Also I would agree that there are many things my country and many other countries around the world could be doing to help people in dire need around the world. There are many things we turn a blind eye to. For example there's really no GOOD reason why anyone anywhere in the world should be starving to death! I'm not apathetic or blind to such examples of injustice in the world but like I said being proud to be an American does not mean I believe in every choice my country makes or doesn't make.

Back
Top Bottom