• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are you proud of your country/state

Are you proud of your country and/or state

• Total voters

TOJ

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Are you proud of your state and/or country? Why or why not?

Its more complicated than that.

I cannot say i am Proud.
But i would not say that i am not proud.

What we did to the Native Americans disgusts me.
Some of our retarded laws disgusts me.
Trying to control the world and assassinating world leaders disgusts me.
What we did to Iraq disgusts me.
People that think our failure to nuke Russia when we had the chance, was a failure, disgust me.
The ww2 Germany mentality many people have disgusts me.

The Constitution makes me proud.
The Revolution makes me proud.
Abolishing Slavery makes me proud.
Our success at so much... makes me proud.
The freedoms we have make me proud.
I take pride in our military, their training and ability, but absolutely not in how we choose to use them.

Any American that just simply says they are proud without considering the terrible things we have done in addition to the good ones... just make me sad.

Last edited:
Virginia is my country, and I don't even live there anymore. I will always be a Virginian.

I don't think I know what the United States is anymore. It seems to represent all that is wrong in the world. And let's face it, how am I suppsed to feel any cultural unity with Hawaii (for example). I have more in common with Canadians than those folks.

Virginia is my country, and I don't even live there anymore. I will always be a Virginian.

I don't think I know what the United States is anymore. It seems to represent all that is wrong in the world. And let's face it, how am I suppsed to feel any cultural unity with Hawaii (for example). I have more in common with Canadians than those folks.

I hear you.
I feel a lot of solidarity with the mexicans.
I'm a lot closer to Mexico City than I am to Washington DC.

The reasons I'm proud of my state and country:

because the Declaration of Independence, proclaiming our dedication to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for our civilization;

because the Constitution provides a workable government that prohibits dictatorships, tyrannies and oppression;

because the Bill of Rights gives me the freedom to speak my mind, to worship the way I choose or choose not to do, to read what I want to read, to let media report the news, to own a gun for my protection, to have my own privacy, my own land, and other rights as stated in the document...

because this is a nation of hard work, of innovation, of strong unity, of strong will;

because our military stands ready to protect what we have and fights for our freedoms every day;

because of our dedicated firemen, policemen, doctors and other great civilians who show the great character and backbone of this country;

because our country and my state is full of opportunity, and only depends on how hard one works at it;

because I have the freedoms I desire, and the protections I need, to live happily. The rest is up to me.

The reasons I'm proud of my state and country:

because the Declaration of Independence, proclaiming our dedication to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for our civilization;

because the Constitution provides a workable government that prohibits dictatorships, tyrannies and oppression;

because the Bill of Rights gives me the freedom to speak my mind, to worship the way I choose or choose not to do, to read what I want to read, to let media report the news, to own a gun for my protection, to have my own privacy, my own land, and other rights as stated in the document...

because this is a nation of hard work, of innovation, of strong unity, of strong will;

because our military stands ready to protect what we have and fights for our freedoms every day;

because of our dedicated firemen, policemen, doctors and other great civilians who show the great character and backbone of this country;

because our country and my state is full of opportunity, and only depends on how hard one works at it;

because I have the freedoms I desire, and the protections I need, to live happily. The rest is up to me.

Yeah, well. But none of that- Constitution, Protections, Freedoms, Bill of Rights- was ever meant to apply to me.
Or to any woman, or any minority.
So it's just so much bullshit, as far as I'm concerned.
I mean, yeah, we fixed it eventually, but still.
Whoop-de-doo.
I still wouldn't exactly say I'm "proud" of it.
Most other industrialized nations are doing a whole lot better in the human rights department.

That's an interesting question.

I have been proud of my country. I have also been ashamed of my country.

Right now, the best word that describes how I feel is hopeful.

I am extremely hopeful for my country.

Yeah, well. But none of that- Constitution, Protections, Freedoms, Bill of Rights- was ever meant to apply to me.
Or to any woman, or any minority.
So it's just so much bullshit, as far as I'm concerned.
I mean, yeah, we fixed it eventually, but still.
Whoop-de-doo.
I still wouldn't exactly say I'm "proud" of it.
Most other industrialized nations are doing a whole lot better in the human rights department.

It's commentary like that which makes me think giving women the right to vote may have been a huge mistake. With women, it's usually about more money on healthcare, more money on daycare, more money on education. It's an easy pander for the Democrats, a lay-up in basketball terms, for scoring votes. I don't think a lot of them get where money comes from. And even if you personally do, I don't think you care.

It's commentary like that which makes me think giving women the right to vote may have been a huge mistake. With women, it's usually about more money on healthcare, more money on daycare, more money on education. It's an easy pander for the Democrats, a lay-up in basketball terms, for scoring votes. I don't think a lot of them get where money comes from. And even if you personally do, I don't think you care.

:doh

And with men, it's more money on war, less money on healthcare. We're an easy pander for the Republicans. Why do we let ourselves vote? If women ran the world, it would be peaceful, the crime rate would be low, rape and war would be a thing of the past.

:doh

And with men, it's more money on war, less money on healthcare. We're an easy pander for the Republicans. Why do we let ourselves vote? If women ran the world, it would be peaceful, the crime rate would be low, rape and war would be a thing of the past.

And you would also be praising Allah and Muhammed, or be killed.

It's commentary like that which makes me think giving women the right to vote may have been a huge mistake.
:thumbdown

Crawl back into your cave MC. You certainly didn't give women the right to vote. No-one gave women the right to vote. Women fought for that right.

Finally, under the pressure of all of the suffrage groups, President Woodrow Wilson urged a compliant Congress to pass what became, when it was ratified in 1920, the Nineteenth Amendment.

Women's suffrage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, I'm not proud of my country/state. Why would I be proud of something like my nationality, which I have no control over? I don't really see any distinction between that and, say, being proud to be white. Neither make any sense to me.

If women ran the world, it would be peaceful, the crime rate would be low, rape and war would be a thing of the past.

Tell that to Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, Benazir Bhutto, or Indira Ghandi...all of whom fought wars while they were head of government.

No, I'm not proud of my country/state. Why would I be proud of something like my nationality, which I have no control over? I don't really see any distinction between that and, say, being proud to be white. Neither make any sense to me.

You can recognize and celebrate the distinctive and positive attributes of where you live without being a psycho nationalist.

You can recognize and celebrate the distinctive and positive attributes of where you live without being a psycho nationalist.

Sure, I recognize that there are distinctive and positive attributes and achievements in America...just like there are in China, Turkey, Polynesia, or anywhere else. But I don't see why I should feel any particular "pride" in any of those things unless I myself am responsible for them.

Tell that to Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, Benazir Bhutto, or Indira Ghandi...all of whom fought wars while they were head of government.

The world needs more Margaret Thatchers. Good luck Jihad! I'll take Margaret any day in that match-up.

Sure, I recognize that there are distinctive and positive attributes and achievements in America...just like there are in China, Turkey, Polynesia, or anywhere else. But I don't see why I should feel any particular "pride" in any of those things unless I myself am responsible for them.

It's your group, pinhead. Your favorite sports team, your college team, your high school chess club, your knitting club - you support these because YOU belong. You take pride because they're like family (distant family... okay, unknown relatives...) You share in triumphs, and feel agony together in defeats. You are like a living entity all unto itself.

When a disaster occurs, like a fire or earthquake, you help each other more than ever. You provide clothing, shelter, food, emotional support, and help each other through. Maybe you would do this for anyone on the Earth, but here you are in America. This is the team you're on.

Your support is invited. You don't have to wear a flag on your lapel, but would you please stop bitching like you live in Afganistan and nobody will protect you from the Taliban. You have it pretty good.

there's a difference between claiming somthing is "the best" and claiming that it's unique and worthwhile

It's your group, pinhead. Your favorite sports team, your college team, your high school chess club, your knitting club -

Using that example...

If your knitting club went and killed 1 million innocent people. Then realized they were the wrong people but still did not really seem to care and was only concerned with spreading knitting around the world... would you still take pride in said knitting club?

Even in centuries to come we will never wash the blood off our hands.
But what is worse is that we really don't care so long as we have lots of money to spend.

Using that example...

If your knitting club went and killed 1 million innocent people. Then realized they were the wrong people but still did not really seem to care and was only concerned with spreading knitting around the world... would you still take pride in said knitting club?

Even in centuries to come we will never wash the blood off our hands.
But what is worse is that we really don't care so long as we have lots of money to spend.

I don't knit. My women do that.

:thumbdown

Crawl back into your cave MC. You certainly didn't give women the right to vote. No-one gave women the right to vote. Women fought for that right.

Finally, under the pressure of all of the suffrage groups, President Woodrow Wilson urged a compliant Congress to pass what became, when it was ratified in 1920, the Nineteenth Amendment.

Women's suffrage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I must have missed that war/battle.

Did the women outshoot the men?

I Love America and the only reason I see I am representing/supporting it is with my support for certain issues and dissent for others- each of which are noticed by other Americans...but when I talk to my Senators I get the same BS transcript-fake-empathy-a$$hole-reply.

Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a society where the representatives actually represent us in their choices, and not lobbyists. Then they send us mail that isn't written by the most expensive lawyers they can afford.

I Love America and the only reason I see I am representing/supporting it is with my support for certain issues and dissent for others- each of which are noticed by other Americans...but when I talk to my Senators I get the same BS transcript-fake-empathy-a$$hole-reply.

Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a society where the representatives actually represent us in their choices, and not lobbyists. Then they send us mail that isn't written by the most expensive lawyers they can afford.

Well... there'd probably have to be a lot more of them, if you expect them to represent you in any personal sense.

Back
Top Bottom