• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are We the Greatest, Richest Country in the World?

Where is the evidence that the situation improves? Where do they go for it to improve? It sounds awful throughout the industry.

Jobs are what they are. I've often said that if they were that fun, employers would charge admission instead of paying a wage.

Most of the people in the world are just trying to get by. A few of us have some kind of talent or skill that carries value. Most of us just barter time and effort for cash.

Truck drivers are in the group that barter time and effort for cash. Even lacking a STEM type of education, they can earn a pretty good income if they just come to work every day.

This is a good thing.

Jobs are what they are. I've often said that if they were that fun, employers would charge admission instead of paying a wage.

Most of the people in the world are just trying to get by. A few of us have some kind of talent or skill that carries value. Most of us just barter time and effort for cash.

Truck drivers are in the group that barter time and effort for cash. Even lacking a STEM type of education, they can earn a pretty good income if they just come to work every day.

This is a good thing.
You know what would be an even better thing? Guaranteeing these truckers decent working conditions.

Sent from my phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

You know what would be an even better thing? Guaranteeing these truckers decent working conditions.

How would you improve those conditions?

They are pretty much doomed to spend their work time seated in traffic staring through windshields.

What part of this would you change?

How would you improve those conditions?

They are pretty much doomed to spend their work time seated in traffic staring through windshields.

What part of this would you change?
The hours. Vacation time. Home time.

Traffic can't be changed, but the demands of management can

The hours. Vacation time. Home time.

Traffic can't be changed, but the demands of management can

The simple truth is this: If you want to make more money, you need to take less desirable jobs.

Proctologists make pretty good money. They can have it.

As a low level manager, I worked pretty long hours and didn't come anywhere near the wage of truckers. I also needed to endure some pretty stressful meetings with employees and customers.

As I said, if jobs were nothing but fun, they'd charge admission instead of paying a wage. But then, there would likely be a height requirement...

The simple truth is this: If you want to make more money, you need to take less desirable jobs.

Proctologists make pretty good money. They can have it.

As a low level manager, I worked pretty long hours and didn't come anywhere near the wage of truckers. I also needed to endure some pretty stressful meetings with employees and customers.

As I said, if jobs were nothing but fun, they'd charge admission instead of paying a wage. But then, there would likely be a height requirement...

Factory work was once low pay and required long hours. Then the employees unionized and went on strike. They got better conditions and better pay. Workers were doing well, and companies were doing well. Then companies undercut them by offshoring. And our government is complicit by not having any tariffs on these companies that bring in foreign goods manufactured by people making miserable wages. What's going on is evil.

Factory work was once low pay and required long hours. Then the employees unionized and went on strike. They got better conditions and better pay. Workers were doing well, and companies were doing well. Then companies undercut them by offshoring. And our government is complicit by not having any tariffs on these companies that bring in foreign goods manufactured by people making miserable wages. What's going on is evil.

Henry Ford Noted that he turned over his work force numerous times every year. He doubled wages to combat the problem.

After WW2 when the US was the only game in town and the rest of the world was bombed to rubble, US manufacturers could pretty much charge whatever they wanted to charge.

The rise of industrialization world wide was not the product of American visionaries. It was the product of foreign visionaries.

Toyota revolutionized auto making. They employed Edwards Deming who had been rejected by every US Auto maker.

The Big Three US auto makers were using outdated management approaches, the unions and their members were working against their employers and the US product was low quality.

The outsourcing you are citing was not close to being a cause. It was a result.

What happened in the Auto industry also happened in electronics and various other manufacturing/assembly industries. Foreign competition made a superior product at a lower cost.

Last edited:
Superior product? That's debateable. You might find this interesting.

Blame Nixon - EPautos - Libertarian Car Talk

Well, that was interesting. The article talks about a backward looking engineering group trying to market an engine designed to operate in a world that no longer existed.

I remember trying to decide if I should spend money to buy a Honda Prelude, could have been a different model, or accept a no cost Plymouth Fury at some point in the later 70's.

My decision was helped along by a wiser gentleman reminding that I could buy a lot of gas for whatever the purchase price of the Prelude was at that time. I took the no-cost Fury.

There were points to recommend either and both would get me to the movie I wanted to see. With the Fury, I could afford to buy the ticket to the movie once I arrived at the theatre.

With the Prelude, I'd just have stand outside looking at the posters for the movie. However, it would require less gas to get there and it would probably ride better and last longer.

That consideration changed the way I looked at various decisions- What is my real goal and how does the outcome of any decision impact my ability to achieve my real goal?

Prior to that, accepting conventional wisdom and fashionable trends was a great part of the the basis of my decision making.

Back
Top Bottom