• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Snap On, Mac, Matco & 'Cornwell(??) tools really THAT much better?

My 1st-ever real job was at a machine shop that turned standard GM, Chrysler and Ford torque converters into high stall speed units, used in drag racing and street performance car applications. I worked there for almost 2.5 years, from the summer after my 10th grade school year, til a few months after graduating high school. We did not have to buy our own tools. During this time, I was paying for my own car, gasoline, insurance, some clothing etc. So I didn't have a ton of disposeable income.

We moved from a rural, 70' x 50' back yard shop, into a much larger shop in town. A Mac tools dealer started showing up in his tool truck weekly. I ended up buying a 1/2" drive ratchet, and a 10pc black coated set of SAE impact sockets(the chrome plates sockets were like $25 more!), paying over $90 for both in 1986.

They were nice tools. A few years later, at my next job, I allowed a co worker to use the ratchet for busting loose a few large, seized axle bearing nuts on a towed seeding combine, with a long breaker bar, and it was the only ratchet he tried that didnt break under the strain. The other tools were a cornucopia of different brands, but they were cheap and moderately priced brands.

I just looked up prices for top-o-the-line independent franchise type tool companies like Snap On and Cornell tools. I'll leave links to price lists from both companies below. A basic 10pc Snap On wrench set is $359, and it seems that Cornell tools can be even more expensive, with the same type of 10-12 pc set costing $378 to over $650! You can buy tools made by reputable companies, with a lifetime warranty for roughly 1/10 to 1/15th that price!

That begs the often asked question, are these tools really worth THAT MUCH money? Are they that much tougher? Is there a significant difference in quality between Snap On, Mac, Matco tools? What about Cornell tools, I know nothing about them?

https://www.bestproducts.com/cars/tools-and-DIY/g1916/snap-on-tools-kits/

Hand Tools - Wrenches - Combination Wrench Sets - Cornwell Webcat

I'm not sure there's much to say other than:
  • Some folks buy Mountain Hardwear and Burberry and some people buy Paul & Shark and Loro Piana
  • Some folks buy Craftsman tools and others buy Conwell
Such is the way of monopolistic competition.

My 1st-ever real job was at a machine shop that turned standard GM, Chrysler and Ford torque converters into high stall speed units, used in drag racing and street performance car applications. I worked there for almost 2.5 years, from the summer after my 10th grade school year, til a few months after graduating high school. We did not have to buy our own tools. During this time, I was paying for my own car, gasoline, insurance, some clothing etc. So I didn't have a ton of disposeable income.

We moved from a rural, 70' x 50' back yard shop, into a much larger shop in town. A Mac tools dealer started showing up in his tool truck weekly. I ended up buying a 1/2" drive ratchet, and a 10pc black coated set of SAE impact sockets(the chrome plates sockets were like $25 more!), paying over $90 for both in 1986.

They were nice tools. A few years later, at my next job, I allowed a co worker to use the ratchet for busting loose a few large, seized axle bearing nuts on a towed seeding combine, with a long breaker bar, and it was the only ratchet he tried that didnt break under the strain. The other tools were a cornucopia of different brands, but they were cheap and moderately priced brands.

I just looked up prices for top-o-the-line independent franchise type tool companies like Snap On and Cornell tools. I'll leave links to price lists from both companies below. A basic 10pc Snap On wrench set is $359, and it seems that Cornell tools can be even more expensive, with the same type of 10-12 pc set costing $378 to over $650! You can buy tools made by reputable companies, with a lifetime warranty for roughly 1/10 to 1/15th that price!

That begs the often asked question, are these tools really worth THAT MUCH money? Are they that much tougher? Is there a significant difference in quality between Snap On, Mac, Matco tools? What about Cornell tools, I know nothing about them?

https://www.bestproducts.com/cars/tools-and-DIY/g1916/snap-on-tools-kits/

Hand Tools - Wrenches - Combination Wrench Sets - Cornwell Webcat

I've used lots of different tools in a lot of different environments, I still do. It really all depends on you and what you do with them. I found in the heavy duty truck field and the automotive field that professional grade tools like matco and snap on were a little better than Craftsman and other budget brands due to smaller box ends and tighter spans on open ends when in snug areas. But you can get by with cheaper brands. Of course if you use a snap on Mac or matco tool and you brake it but need it replaced without leaving work you can call a tool vender to help you out.

I spent over 30 years in the auto service business as tech, service advisor, business owner. When I started Craftsman were decent tools. The convenience of the various tool trucks that stop regularly and offer a payment plan is hard to beat. The financing is priced into the tool price. The best mark-up is on the tool cabinets and these are probably the single highest priced item. I found the Snap-On 3/8” ratchet with the screwdriver type handle to be the most comfortable. The throw was better than the others as well. By ‘throw’ I mean distance travelled before the tool clicks. There has been an upgrade in some of the vendors that circulate in
their personal truck with off brand selections.

Sadly Craftsman tools have become Chinese junk, just buy Pittsburgh. More letters for less money.

Kobalt are also quite nice

Check videos on line where good tools are compared with China made crap. I have used and abused my snap on and craftsman tools and rarely broke them. Can't say that for the other tools in my box.

I almost bought a few Craftsman sets for my nephew fire Christmas but discovered they are now Chinese crap. Apparently in 2010 they started to source things from Taiwan and China.

I just happened to think you can get better Chinese crap than Craftsman. It's a pity.

I've used lots of different tools in a lot of different environments, I still do. It really all depends on you and what you do with them. I found in the heavy duty truck field and the automotive field that professional grade tools like matco and snap on were a little better than Craftsman and other budget brands due to smaller box ends and tighter spans on open ends when in snug areas. But you can get by with cheaper brands. Of course if you use a snap on Mac or matco tool and you brake it but need it replaced without leaving work you can call a tool vender to help you out.

Are you saying that if a Snap On tool breaks on the job, you can expect the mobile Snap On truck to cruise over and replace the broken tool that same day? Or will you have to wait until his normally scheduled visit for a replacement? Obviously the guy can't just drop what he's doing at that moment, kick out everyone whose visiting his truck, and immediately drive 25 miles to your work site, to replace a stripped Allen wrench. But will they return sooner than normally scheduled?

I'm not sure there's much to say other than:
  • Some folks buy Mountain Hardwear and Burberry and some people buy Paul & Shark and Loro Piana
  • Some folks buy Craftsman tools and others buy Conwell
Such is the way of monopolistic competition.

Although it's a tad bit embarassing to admit, I had to Google 2 of those clothing brands you listed. I'd never heard of Loro Piana or Paul & Shark. The Mountain Hardwear reference threw me a bit, as they are more widely known as a producer of relatively high end backpacks, tents, and hiking/camping related clothing and gear, which puts them in a different category than Burberry, who are better known for producing offensively/exorbitantly expensive jackets and clothing, which no one in their right mind would wear on a backpacking trip!

I don't own any Mountain Hardwear stuff, except for a pair of gloves, although I do own quite a few products made by one of their top competitors, Marmot(who used to be Dana Designs). I own a 15° Marmot Helium 800 fill goose down sleeping bag that's the softest, most comfortable thing I've ever slept in! I've got a higher end Marmot Nyx 2p tent, a bunch of Marmot backpacking pants, shirts, a jacket etc. Haven't used the stuff for too long. My backpacking gear is mainly 'geared' for winter backping. Its winter now, so I should make it useful once again!

Last edited:
Are you saying that if a Snap On tool breaks on the job, you can expect the mobile Snap On truck to cruise over and replace the broken tool that same day? Or will you have to wait until his normally scheduled visit for a replacement? Obviously the guy can't just drop what he's doing at that moment, kick out everyone whose visiting his truck, and immediately drive 25 miles to your work site, to replace a stripped Allen wrench. But will they return sooner than normally scheduled?

No I'm not saying that. But if you have a good rapport with him and you call him up where ever he is or whatever he's doing he will finish doing and if it's early enough in the day he'll make a stop by your shop I never had a problem with that. Of course I didn't use snap-on tools I used matco tools. And I knew the vendor very well I still do.

Although it's a tad bit embarassing to admit, I had to Google 2 of those clothing brands you listed. I'd never heard of Loro Piana or Paul & Shark. The Mountain Hardwear reference threw me a bit, as they are more widely known as a producer of relatively high end backpacks, tents, and hiking/camping related clothing and gear, which puts them in a different category than Burberry, who are better known for producing offensively/exorbitantly expensivejackets and clothing, which no one in their right mind would wear on a backpacking trip!

I don't own any Mountain Hardwear stuff, except for a pair of gloves, although I do own quite a few products made by one of their top competitors, Marmot(who used to be Dana Designs). I own a 15° Marmot Helium 800 fill goose down sleeping bag that's the softest, most comfortable thing I've ever slept in! I've got a higher end Marmot Nyx 2p tent, a bunch of Marmot backpacking pants, shirts, a jacket etc. Haven't used the stuff for too long. My backpacking gear is mainly 'geared' for winter backping. Its winter now, so I should make it useful once again!

Red:
Well, okay, but I don't think there's anything to have been embarrassed about re: not being familiar with two firm's products. To wit, I had no chagrin over having never heard of Cornwell tools.

Blue:
Rugged, sporting, "field and stream," so to speak, purpose-made garb
  • Mountain Hardwear --> moderately priced --> Craftsman tools
  • Paul & Shark --> expensive --> Cornwell tools
Garb for a variety of uses, but mostly not garb made for "roughhousing."
  • Burberry --> --> moderately priced --> Craftsman tools
  • Loro Piana --> expensive --> Cornwell tools
All four producers claim their stuff's the best. Other than that there is a material difference in the price points, the specific price points/ranges of any four firm's products doesn't matter, but that they are, notwithstanding the price differences, all quality products does matter.

The point was that in monopolistic competition, various producers (competitors) offer wares that, though they serve substantively the same purpose, are priced quite differently and consumers choose among them based on a multiplicity of criteria that collectively define the utility each individual buyer expects to obtain from the exchange of resources with the seller. Succinctly, if the buyer thinks the money s/he pays is "worth it," s/he'l pay the price asked; if s/he doesn't, s/he'll buy a competing product, a substitute.

So, the US military buys Snap On tools? Well, at least that way they can legitimately claim to have paid $1000 for a hammer!! Maybe this explains where those missing trillions of tax dollars went. They probably just bought a few dozen fully stocked Snap On rolling tool chests!

Yes the us military does buy snapon tools as well as sk tools, they formerly bought armstrong before apex gutted them and pushed gearwrench taiwan tools over the american made tools, and also bought craftsmen until they finally stopped the us made pro series.

The requirement for the us army is that it's tools and equipment be made in the us, even if the company making it is a foreign company. Snapon is also very lenient towards military due to their bulk purchases, for example if I broke a breaker bar in afghanistan from the frs, snapon would send a new one and never demand the broken one or even pictures of it, while for civilians snapon wants the broken tool turned in.

Back
Top Bottom