• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are "isms" just an excuse

washunut

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I have no problem acknowledging that our country suffers from racism,sexism,anti-semitism and anti a whole bunch of things.Identity political and tribalism are a fact of life In America if not much of the world.

Many if not most would agree life is not fair and tough to succeed. That being said,many have been able to do just that by pushing against the tide. Sure we can say it should not be like that. Doubt there is any place on earth anyone can point to where meritocracy rules.

So my question is whatever ism someone faces a good enough reason to say well the system is fixed so why try and get ahead. So is whatever ism you fall into a proper excuse at failing to succeed here.

Thoughts.

Yes, of course plenty of people give up, some in small ways, some in larger, thanks to the -ism's making it hard for them to succeed. It's only human.

Some prevail.

Also, some are simply luckier than others.

Yes, of course plenty of people give up, some in small ways, some in larger, thanks to the -ism's making it hard for them to succeed. It's only human.

Some prevail.

I like the saying: The better you are the luckier you get. Not always true, but is often the case.

Some prevail.

Most of what folks call luck is nothing more than the confluence of opportunity and preparedness. Many (most?) refuse to see the obvious which is that being the employee of someone allows them to profit from your work, thus the employee will always be paid less than their work's market value.

Most of what folks call luck is nothing more than the confluence of opportunity and preparedness.

I think being lucky and getting opportunities are pretty much the same thing. You can also be prepared and still screw up. I should know, I've done it plenty of times.

Most of what folks call luck is nothing more than the confluence of opportunity and preparedness. Many (most?) refuse to see the obvious which is that being the employee of someone allows them to profit from your work, thus the employee will always be paid less than their work's market value.

Sorry. I understand many people are tempted to say they are unlucky when they are not prepared. But at the same time, luck DOES play a lot of role in success too. Especially if one is running a business. One extra bad supplier, screwy employee, bad lawsuit, economy, etc could make a big difference no matter how prepared you are.

Many people are not interested in running their own businesses and even in their case, luck can play a huge role, especially as it relates to this thread. You can end up on a team / with a boss that is very much willing to abuse the -isms (sometimes not even intentionally but just due to culture). You may get pass on promotion and raises to someone less deserving just because of the -isms and you may not even know it. Luck plays a big role.

Back
Top Bottom