• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Democrats Right To Oppose *Temporary* Payroll Tax Cuts As Front-End Social Security Defunding?

3leftsdoo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
They haven't been right much of late, but on this one, I can't fault them for resisting.

Temporary can be made permanent, and the Shock Doctrine must ALWAYS be considered.

Trump would do best to drop this demand.

They haven't been right much of late, but on this one, I can't fault them for resisting.

Temporary can be made permanent, and the Shock Doctrine must ALWAYS be considered.

I very much support the payroll tax holiday. People should know how much they ACTUALLY make. :devil: Never let a good crisis go to waste. A democrat said that once. Makes sense to me.

I very much support the payroll tax holiday. People should know how much they ACTUALLY make. :devil: Never let a good crisis go to waste. A democrat said that once. Makes sense to me.

No a Democrat didn't. That's fantasy. If people want to know how much they ACTUALLY make, they can look at their pay stub.

No a Democrat didn't. That's fantasy. If people want to know how much they ACTUALLY make, they can look at their pay stub.

They can put it ALL in their pocket which would be better.

Rahm Emanuel did in fact say it. He did not originate it.

Quotes Uncovered: Who Said No Crisis Should Go to Waste? - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Westy asked:
How about the very recent “Don’t waste a crisis”? Did that phrase/quote have usage prior to Rahm Emanuel?”
Charles Doyle of the University of Georgia, my coauthor on the forthcoming Yale Book of Modern Proverbs, has found that this expression is now commonly applied to economic or diplomatic crises that can be exploited to advance political agendas, but he traced it back at least as far as 1976, when M. F. Weiner wrote an article in the journal Medical Economics entitled “Don’t Waste a Crisis — Your Patient’s or Your Own.” Weiner meant by this that a medical crisis can be used to improve aspects of personality, mental health, or lifestyle.

Who's going to make anything permanent?

They can put it ALL in their pocket which would be better.

Rahm Emanuel did in fact say it. He did not originate it.

Quotes Uncovered: Who Said No Crisis Should Go to Waste? - Freakonomics Freakonomics
Why would it be better? The argument is that they could invest their savings if not for SS tax coming out. But this break is meant to allow them to spend it now rather than invest, which takes from their retirement. That is money not invested in their retirement, that also isnt going to pay those who are retired.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Just Democrats being political. I watched Hakeem Jeffries say the House needed to find common ground with the Senate and the White House given the mishandling of the coronavirus by the White House. Now how does that help the country. What an ass, always politics over country.

It won't go into their pocket if they don't have sick leave. They won't get a paycheck to not be deducted from.

True. That depends very much on the employer and whether the employee goes to work. A lot of people get sick leave.

Why would it be better? The argument is that they could invest their savings if not for SS tax coming out. But this break is meant to allow them to spend it now rather than invest, which takes from their retirement. That is money not invested in their retirement, that also isnt going to pay those who are retired.

Dont care, I just want people to feel how much is being yanked from them, to be much more cognizant of just how much they are taxed.

This would have minimal impact on people, so it doesn’t matter if it passes or not. I think getting the insurance companies to agree to drop copays for Coronavirus testing was a good start, but the economic impact on working people and small businesses is going to be tremendous, even for people who are asymptomatic. That’s what needs to be addressed.

This would have minimal impact on people, so it doesn’t matter if it passes or not. I think getting the insurance companies to agree to drop copays for Coronavirus testing was a good start, but the economic impact on working people and small businesses is going to be tremendous, even for people who are asymptomatic. That’s what needs to be addressed.
The layoffs in some industries have started already. I know of 100+ people who just lost their jobs this week from one company. This is a company in a hugely affected industry, but it will trickle down.

Personally I advocate getting rid of these taxes permanently. We live under a unified budget so not sure why we have to collect these monies any differently than any others. Also get rid of the "trust fund" as it is also meaningless,unless you believe that once it runs out the government will really stop or lower payments.

We have a lot of unfunded liabilities that the Federal government is sitting on. At one time it made sense to have these separate,regressive taxes. Can't see the reason any longer.

Back
Top Bottom