• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apologetics

No, I don’t wonder any more whether it’s worth it. It’s not. Why give those whose only intention is, as you say, expressing their ugliness—their pain and anger, really—and satisfying the need to feel superior this opportunity? In fact, what I wonder is whether those who choose to pointlessly engage ever reflect on whether they are giving another an occasion to sin.

Satan is always looking for an occasion to tempt us into sinning...we were forewarned of that long ago...it's up to us to resist that temptation...

"Therefore, subject yourselves to God; but oppose the Devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7

We each will be held accountable for our own actions, no one else...being provoked will not be an acceptable excuse...

"So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God." Romans 14:12

Last edited:
Why does Christianity have/need Apologetics?

Why does the Church of Global Warming have/need Apologetics?
Why does the Church of Climate Change have/need Apologetics?
Why does Evolution have/need Apologetics?
Why does the Big Bang Theory have/need Apologetics?

Why does ANY religion have/need Apologetics?

Satan is always looking for an occasion to tempt us into sinning...we were forewarned of that long ago...it's up to us to resist that temptation...

"Therefore, subject yourselves to God; but oppose the Devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7

We each will be held accountable for our own actions, no one else...being provoked will not be an acceptable excuse...

"So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God." Romans 14:12

Giving some one an occasion for sin isn't just about provoking another. As John Donne asked, "Wilt thou forgive that sin which I have won/Others to sin, and made my sin their door?" https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44115/a-hymn-to-god-the-father

Why does the Church of Global Warming have/need Apologetics?
Why does the Church of Climate Change have/need Apologetics?
Why does Evolution have/need Apologetics?
Why does the Big Bang Theory have/need Apologetics?

Why does ANY religion have/need Apologetics?

False equivalence.

Merry Christmas, zyzygy. :) Here's to something of real meaning happening in your life next year.

You know nothing about my life. No wonder Angel liked the post. He knows nothing about my life either. No wonder why we laugh at the pair of you. Happy Pagan Yule!

You know nothing about my life. Happy Pagan Yule!

You're right, I don't. Doesn't prevent me from wishing you the best...and being tickled about you wishing me a Happy Pagan Yule. I guess you being Wiccan is one of those things I didn't know about your life? Groovy! Enjoy the Solstice. That's tomorrow, I believe, am I right?

At any rate, all the best. :)

You're right, I don't. Doesn't prevent me from wishing you the best...and being tickled about you wishing me a Happy Pagan Yule. I guess you being Wiccan is one of those things I didn't know about your life? Groovy! Enjoy the Solstice. That's tomorrow, I believe, am I right?

At any rate, all the best. :)

Nope. Wiccan is Old English for basket case.

Nope. Wiccan is Old English for basket case.

Hmm...strange. Well, I guess it doesn't matter why you're celebrating Pagan Yule, at least enough to extend greetings to me, I just hope you enjoy it, and I very much appreciate you including me in your thoughts enough to share those greetings with me. :)

Hmm...strange. Well, I guess it doesn't matter why you're celebrating Pagan Yule, at least enough to extend greetings to me, I just hope you enjoy it, and I very much appreciate you including me in your thoughts enough to share those greetings with me. :)

I did not say that I was celebrating it.

Fallacy Fallacy.

It is a perfect equivalence... Those are all religions just like Christianity is.

Fallacy fallacy is redundant and means nothing. Christianity tells you what to believe. Science does not.

Fallacy fallacy is redundant and means nothing. Christianity tells you what to believe. Science does not.

There is such a thing as a fallacy fallacy, but he just uses it incorrectly. A fallacy fallacy is when when someone claims an argument is wrong just because the other person has used a logical fallacy in their argument. However, it doesn't necessarily follow that what the person said is not true even if they used a logical fallacy.

and...

He also just tells blatant and often absurd lies.

Fallacy fallacy is redundant
No, it's not. No idea is being repeated.

and means nothing.
'I don't like, therefore meaningless' mantra dismissed on sight.

Christianity tells you what to believe.
Christianity offers up an initial circular argument. It offers up additional arguments which stem from that initial circular argument. It offers up supporting evidence... So does Islam... So does Evolution... So does Global Warming... So does Atheism... So does any religion...

Do those other religions also "tell you what to believe"? What do you mean by "tell you what to believe"?

Science does not.
Science yields falsifiable theories (which have yet to be falsified by null hypothesis testing)... Those theories are referred to as "theories of science".

There is such a thing as a fallacy fallacy,
Correct.

but he just uses it incorrectly.
No, I don't.

A fallacy fallacy is when when someone claims an argument is wrong just because the other person has used a logical fallacy in their argument. However, it doesn't necessarily follow that what the person said is not true even if they used a logical fallacy.
Not a "fallacy fallacy"; a non-sequitur (see part that I bolded)...

A Fallacy fallacy occurs whenever someone misuses a fallacy (such as claiming the existence of a fallacy where there is none). In other words, it occurs whenever a person makes an error of logic about errors of logic.

and...

He also just tells blatant and often absurd lies.
Argument of the Stone doubling as a 'you're lying' mantra... dismissed on sight...

A Fallacy fallacy occurs whenever someone misuses a fallacy (such as claiming the existence of a fallacy where there is none). In other words, it occurs whenever a person makes an error of logic about errors of logic.
Wrong. Show that I am wrong and you are right by providing a source for your assertion.

For example:

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/51/Argument-from-Fallacy

Argument from Fallacy
argumentum ad logicam

(also known as: disproof by fallacy, argument to logic, fallacy fallacy, fallacist's fallacy, bad reasons fallacy [form of])

Description: Concluding that the truth value of an argument is false based on the fact that the argument contains a fallacy.

Logical Form:

Argument X is fallacious.

Therefore, the conclusion or truth claim of argument X is false.

Example #1:

Ivan: You cannot borrow my car because it turns back into a pumpkin at midnight.

Sidney: If you really think that, you’re an idiot.

Ivan: That is an ad hominem; therefore, I can’t be an idiot.

Sidney: I beg to differ.

Explanation: While it is true that Sidney has committed the ad hominem fallacy by calling Ivan an idiot rather than providing reasons why Ivan’s car won’t turn into a pumpkin at midnight, that fallacy is not evidence against the claim.​

NOT wrong... A fallacy is an error of logic (much like how a mathematical error works). That's all a fallacy is. That definition comes from Logic. Therefore, a Fallacy Fallacy is an error of logic concerning an error of logic.

Show that I am wrong and you are right by providing a source for your assertion.
I just did. See above.

logicallyfallacious.com is wrong... There is no "Argument From Fallacy"... What they are describing is an example of a Non-Sequitur (in this example, a conclusion about the truth value of the claim does not follow from the premise that the claim contains a logical fallacy). In other words, the usage of fallacious reasoning does not change a true into a false. --- What CAN be concluded, however, is that one cannot logically support/defend their claim.

Back
Top Bottom