• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apologetics

I see you and your wannabe theological student Ramoss skimmed right over all that evidences presented and kicked them to the curb.

Your loss.

Josephus was a self-serving treasonous turncoat whose dubious works were only accepted by modern apologists confirming their biases.

OM

Josephus was a self-serving treasonous turncoat whose dubious works were only accepted by modern apologists confirming their biases.

OM

In addition, the passages trying to link Jesus of Nazareth to Josephus' writings are forgeries. They were added later.

For the same reason Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, Bahá'í Faith, Pantheism and even Deism "have/need Apologetics."
To answer critics.

Correct answer...but do you ever find yourself wondering if it's worth it? Or if it's still relevant? By now most folks "know" (or have decided) what Christianity is about, whether that's based in fact and experience or hatred and generalization. Does there ever come a point where it becomes self defeating?

I'm starting to believe, especially in environments where folks who would normally speak out against bigotry freely engage in it when it comes to talking with people of faith, that the best "apologetic" is merely living our faith and ignoring those who do little more than use a socially acceptable outlet with which to get out their ugliness and feel superior. World statistics would suggest that they are a minority as an atheist, and a minority within a minority being they type of atheist that cannot give what most atheists seem to want: to be left alone. As such, they only matter insofar as we allow their trolling to trigger us...hehe...

Do you think there's still a place for apologetics in our highly polarized society? What do you see as the upside? I think it's highly interesting in a respectful, intellectual discussion, but that's a rare thing these days...hehe...

Yep, they're all lying or fools or charlatans - the apostles, the Old Testament prophets, the historians, the scholars, the believers, the authors of the epistles, all apologists, the authors, all preachers, Jesus, John the Baptist, Paul, the early church fathers - all of them. But OM is right. Uh huh.

Laughing Hyena.jpg

Yep, they're all lying or fools or charlatans - the apostles, the Old Testament prophets, the historians, the scholars, the believers, the authors of the epistles, all apologists, the authors, all preachers, Jesus, John the Baptist, Paul, the early church fathers - all of them. But OM is right. Uh huh.

View attachment 67246241

OT prophets have nothing to do with the equation.

OM

Correct answer...but do you ever find yourself wondering if it's worth it? Or if it's still relevant? By now most folks "know" (or have decided) what Christianity is about, whether that's based in fact and experience or hatred and generalization. Does there ever come a point where it becomes self defeating?

I'm starting to believe, especially in environments where folks who would normally speak out against bigotry freely engage in it when it comes to talking with people of faith, that the best "apologetic" is merely living our faith and ignoring those who do little more than use a socially acceptable outlet with which to get out their ugliness and feel superior. World statistics would suggest that they are a minority as an atheist, and a minority within a minority being they type of atheist that cannot give what most atheists seem to want: to be left alone. As such, they only matter insofar as we allow their trolling to trigger us...hehe...

Do you think there's still a place for apologetics in our highly polarized society? What do you see as the upside? I think it's highly interesting in a respectful, intellectual discussion, but that's a rare thing these days...hehe...

Does your faith tell you to disparage atheists? Is that an example of living your faith?

Your post betrays the superior attitude you accuse atheists of.

Does your faith tell you to disparage atheists? Is that an example of living your faith?

Your post betrays the superior attitude you accuse atheists of.

Read carefully, I specified, and did not generalize. Telling the truth is me living my faith. :shrug: Any more questions?

I imagine that our society was at least equally polarized in the decades following the publication in 1859 of Darwin's controversial book, and apologetics, on both sides the the issue raised by the book, became a cottage industry. Did the spate of apologetics then amount to anything? Probably not. Which is to say I think you're right about apologetics today, but like the apologetics of yesteryear, controversies loose the rational animal in us, and it just won't cease its yapping once it's got the scent.

Like you, none of the present brouhaha reaches my personal beliefs, a lifetime in the making as they are. I stay out of denominational squabbles and doctrinal disputes altogether and engage in the more general "discussions" of the existence of God and the limits of scientific naturalism, and this only because I enjoy argument, a predilection nurtured by my education. Do I kid myself into thinking that I'm persuading anyone? Not for a moment. But I like to write and writing clarifies my thought.

View attachment 67246241

There are few people brave (or stupid) enough to characterise themselves as a hyena.

The most current apologetic is Jordan Peterson who is making the rounds as a polymath wannabe preaching about cleaning your bedroom on the way to a more profound life. He unabashedly credits Christianity for the presence of morality even to the point where he says a good Atheist is not really an Atheist, they are unconscious Christians. Its all pseudo intellectual claptrap but he is making a good living at being the next iteration of Deepak Chopra. Why does he get attention? Because Christianity is losing out to secularism, atheism and science so he found a safe corner to preach from, morality. Its all nonsense and he gets pummeled when he debates true intellectuals like Delahunty or Harris.

No, I don’t wonder any more whether it’s worth it. It’s not. Why give those whose only intention is, as you say, expressing their ugliness—their pain and anger, really—and satisfying the need to feel superior this opportunity? In fact, what I wonder is whether those who choose to pointlessly engage ever reflect on whether they are giving another an occasion to sin.

The most current apologetic is Jordan Peterson who is making the rounds as a polymath wannabe preaching about cleaning your bedroom on the way to a more profound life. He unabashedly credits Christianity for the presence of morality even to the point where he says a good Atheist is not really an Atheist, they are unconscious Christians. Its all pseudo intellectual claptrap but he is making a good living at being the next iteration of Deepak Chopra. Why does he get attention? Because Christianity is losing out to secularism, atheism and science so he found a safe corner to preach from, morality. Its all nonsense and he gets pummeled when he debates true intellectuals like Delahunty or Harris.

I like the Deepak Chopra bullcrap generator. It makes up garbage that is indistinguishable from his garbage. I sometimes post the nonsense it generates on fbook and some people take it seriously.

I like the Deepak Chopra bullcrap generator. It makes up garbage that is indistinguishable from his garbage. I sometimes post the nonsense it generates on fbook and some people take it seriously.

Have you heard Deepak debate Sam? At one point Sam calls his stuff "woo woo". Frigging hilarious.

Have you heard Deepak debate Sam? At one point Sam calls his stuff "woo woo". Frigging hilarious.

Deepak makes me laugh too. "Our consciousness creates the universe" A 12 year old child could spot the problem there.

Deepak makes me laugh too. "Our consciousness creates the universe" A 12 year old child could spot the problem there.

He does it with such conviction, seriousness, purpose while woo wooing his way to millions fleecing the sheep who came to be sheared. He shears them but only transcendentally.

No, I don’t wonder any more whether it’s worth it. It’s not. Why give those whose only intention is, as you say, expressing their ugliness—their pain and anger, really—and satisfying the need to feel superior this opportunity? In fact, what I wonder is whether those who choose to pointlessly engage ever reflect on whether they are giving another an occasion to sin.

No one is expressing any ugliness, pain, or anger. What about believers need to feel superior?

Why, one should kick nonsense to the curb.

Why? Because they don't know the truth and think it's nonsense when the real nonsense is what they believe instead. That's why. You do it all the time.

Because they don't know the truth and think it's nonsense when the real nonsense is what they believe instead. That's why. You do it all the time.

Why, in fact, when I said about kicking nonsense to the curb, I was thinking of many alleged Christians. Some obsess too much about 'Godly Justice' and non-believers being sent to hell to understand what God is about.

Yeah....I mean, it's tough to beat back the FU's with people that go out of their way to express unrestrained disdain for something one finds so much meaning in. I let myself get carried away all the time...hehe.... But I think after a very short while it's clear whether or not someone is willing to approach the subject with a sufficient level of respect, regardless of point of view, to make the conversation worthwhile and not put you on tilt. There are a lot of Christians I probably shouldn't be discussing Christianity with as well...lol

Sadly it relies on not letting your inner asshole take the wheel, and some days are easier than others in that regard. But maybe it's a good personal goal for 2019...we'll see...hehe... ;)

Glib Gloat Number 9
"You're a laugh riot, Alice!"

Only a loud belch at the high-school sophomore lunch table is funnier!

Then perhaps, having spotted it, between guffaws your "12 year old [inner] child" will share that delicious tidbit with the rest of us so we all can have a snicker, yes?

He does it with such conviction, seriousness, purpose while woo wooing his way to millions fleecing the sheep who came to be sheared. He shears them but only transcendentally.
With a "conviction, seriousness, purpose" second only to that of Dopey Dick Dawkins and the Dolts, the doo-whack-a-doo-wop sensations out of Bigotsville.

No, it's not worth it, from now on my policy is going to have to be "ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies".

Kind of reminds you of some of the pseudo-poets and preachers in this forum, dont you think?

I see illogicman is doing his usual reversal of burden of proof

Kind of reminds you of some of the pseudo-poets and preachers in this forum, dont you think?
Not to mention some of the trolls, flamers and all-around assholes buzzing about internet chat like flies on turds these days.
Don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom