• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone taken measures in case of a nuclear exchange?

Fun educational video on nuking a city. Despite the animation, it's a lot more scientific than you might expect.

I've taken no measures in the least, and give the possibility of nuclear war little thought.

If it happens, it happens, nothing much can be done about it.
I lived most of my life so I will let others worry about it as well. I figure my odds of dying in a car accident are higher and going up every year as I continue to beat the odds.

Well, I can't argue with you, that's pretty dumb. Thanks for sharing and hopefully some junior manager in our government reads this and does a facepalm.

"Many people may already feel fear and anxiety about the coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). The threat of a nuclear explosion can add additional stress."

This is why you don't give important tasks to interns.
Well, to be fair, you'd feel pretty dumb if you survived a nuclear explosion only to die of covid.

Like iodine? I hear some in Europe were hitting iodine hard.

Or scouted out shelters, extra pantry items etc?

Well, I'd crack a beer, because I miss beer, because I'm a diabetic.

I have precisely zero interest in surviving a nuclear exchange.

Okay, then you don't live in or near a city, or your family doesn't live in or near a city?
Bout 30 miles from a 800k metro area.

Again a neclesr strike might be tactical, mostly only military ports etc.

Well, I'd crack a beer, because I miss beer, because I'm a diabetic.

I have precisely zero interest in surviving a nuclear exchange.
What, you didn't watch The Road and think, "That's a place I'd really like to be right now"?

What, you didn't watch The Road and think, "That's a place I'd really like to be right now"?

I have a certain minimum civilization requirement for existence.

Living in a manky old shipping container buried in the ground, eating dried rations and shitting in a box does not meet those requirements.

In short: If painless dentistry goes, I'm going with it.

Lay down and die all you cowering wimps afraid of carrying on.

It's got nothing to do with being afraid to carry on and everything to do with people in areas with targets knowing they have no chance of survival.
Many cities in the US and the entire UK are screwed beyond any ability to prepare and it doesn't matter how tough you think you are you aren't surviving a local nuclear blast.

Im 12 miles from one of only three AFB with KC135 stratotanker wing (22nd air refueling wing) Im guessing if there is an exchange i'm toast.

To be fair if you are turned into toast at least you can help feed any who do survive.
That's very considerate of you.

**** whoever it is in Russia and the US who are keeping nuclear terror alive.

It's got nothing to do with being afraid to carry on and everything to do with people in areas with targets knowing they have no chance of survival.
Many cities in the US and the entire UK are screwed beyond any ability to prepare and it doesn't matter how tough you think you are you aren't surviving a local nuclear blast.
Not in a limited nuke exchange.

Or scouted out shelters, extra pantry items etc?°
Wow, some people are really out there. Why would you take iodine?

Let me guess.....everything you know about "nukes" comes from Hollyweird films, Hollyweird celebrities and the Göbbels-Worshiping Liberal Propaganda Machine.

That's sad, really.

I forgive you for being victimized in school at the hands of Liberals and not learning anything of value.

Let's assume for a moment that your city has been targeted by a Russian ICBM with a 750 kt MIRV warhead kicked off the bus platform.

We know from science that the maximum yield of a Plutonium-based fission warhead is 200 kt.

We know from history that only one country built a high-yield Pu-239 device, and that was France who built a 140 kt Pu-239 gravity bomb that was delivered by the Etendard and SuperEtendard bombers and that those gravity bombs were withdrawn from the French inventory in the 1970s. We know the US, Russia and others never built nuclear fission devices in excess of 100 kt.

Therefore: We know that this 750 kt device must be a fission-fusion warhead.

We know that a 750 kt device uses a 20 kt Pu-239 fission trigger.

Therefore: 750 kt = 20 kt from fission + 730 kt from fusion

We know that the 20 kt Pu-239 fission trigger will generate sufficient heat and pressure to fuse a sufficient quantity of Hydrogen into Helium.

We know that Helium is a non-radioactive Noble gas that is lighter-than-air.

Therefore: We know the Helium will fall up, not out.

So, why would you drink Iodine?

Let's talk about the 20 kt Pu-239 fission trigger.

93% of the time, Pu-239 fissions into Zirconium and Xenon.

How many women (or men) do you know who drink Iodine whilst wearing ear-rings, rings, body-piercings, necklaces, pendants, or watches that have Zirconium instead of real diamonds?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Xenon is also a Noble gas that is heavier than Hydrogen or Helium, but still lighter-than-air. Consequently, it falls up not out. As a point of fact, all the trace Xenon in your upper atmosphere was created by the decay of Pu-239 during Earth's first Billion years, and by nuclear weapons testing and by the spontaneous fission of Pu-239 (which is 20,000 fissions per kilogram per second).

Again, why would you need Iodine?

The fusion process yields one neutron per fusion which increases the efficiency of the fission trigger to about 88%.

20 kt Pu-239 * (100% - 88%) = 2.4 kg Pu-239

That means about 2.4 kg of Pu-239 will not undergo fission.

Because the blast radiates outward in all directions, more or less, 1 kg of un-fissioned Pu-239 will be thrust upward into the stratosphere where it will fall out over the course of the next 70 years and its effects are inconsequential.

About 1 kg will be thrust downward and the rest laterally, but that is of no consequence.

Why? Look at Nagasaki. That was a 20 kt Pu-239 device detonated at about 20,000 feet. Not much to see there.

This 750 kt device will be detonated at about 125,000 feet.

Why? Because the whole freaking point is to extend 2 psi at the leading edge of the blast wave over the widest possible area to damage/destroy manufacturing capability, manufacturing support, and infrastructure, and to kill/injure as many workers as possible.

His Most Excellency on High Emperor Grand Imperial Kleagle Wizard Colonel General Doctor Carl Sagan dada is the only idiot stupid enough to ground-burst a perfectly good strategic nuclear device, and that was only so he could skew the data to scare people to death with his silly "nuclear winter" nonsense.

So, why would you need Iodine?

You only need Iodine if U-235 devices are used, except there's no such thing as a U-235 fission-fusion device and since Pakistan is the only country using U-235 devices, you won't need Iodine unless you're living in or around Pakistan.

Wow, some people are really out there. Why would you take iodine?

Let me guess.....everything you know about "nukes" comes from Hollyweird films, Hollyweird celebrities and the Göbbels-Worshiping Liberal Propaganda Machine.

That's sad, really.

I forgive you for being victimized in school at the hands of Liberals and not learning anything of value.

Let's assume for a moment that your city has been targeted by a Russian ICBM with a 750 kt MIRV warhead kicked off the bus platform.

We know from science that the maximum yield of a Plutonium-based fission warhead is 200 kt.

We know from history that only one country built a high-yield Pu-239 device, and that was France who built a 140 kt Pu-239 gravity bomb that was delivered by the Etendard and SuperEtendard bombers and that those gravity bombs were withdrawn from the French inventory in the 1970s. We know the US, Russia and others never built nuclear fission devices in excess of 100 kt.

Therefore: We know that this 750 kt device must be a fission-fusion warhead.

We know that a 750 kt device uses a 20 kt Pu-239 fission trigger.

Therefore: 750 kt = 20 kt from fission + 730 kt from fusion

We know that the 20 kt Pu-239 fission trigger will generate sufficient heat and pressure to fuse a sufficient quantity of Hydrogen into Helium.

We know that Helium is a non-radioactive Noble gas that is lighter-than-air.

Therefore: We know the Helium will fall up, not out.

So, why would you drink Iodine?

Let's talk about the 20 kt Pu-239 fission trigger.

93% of the time, Pu-239 fissions into Zirconium and Xenon.

How many women (or men) do you know who drink Iodine whilst wearing ear-rings, rings, body-piercings, necklaces, pendants, or watches that have Zirconium instead of real diamonds?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Xenon is also a Noble gas that is heavier than Hydrogen or Helium, but still lighter-than-air. Consequently, it falls up not out. As a point of fact, all the trace Xenon in your upper atmosphere was created by the decay of Pu-239 during Earth's first Billion years, and by nuclear weapons testing and by the spontaneous fission of Pu-239 (which is 20,000 fissions per kilogram per second).

Again, why would you need Iodine?

The fusion process yields one neutron per fusion which increases the efficiency of the fission trigger to about 88%.

20 kt Pu-239 * (100% - 88%) = 2.4 kg Pu-239

That means about 2.4 kg of Pu-239 will not undergo fission.

Because the blast radiates outward in all directions, more or less, 1 kg of un-fissioned Pu-239 will be thrust upward into the stratosphere where it will fall out over the course of the next 70 years and its effects are inconsequential.

About 1 kg will be thrust downward and the rest laterally, but that is of no consequence.

Why? Look at Nagasaki. That was a 20 kt Pu-239 device detonated at about 20,000 feet. Not much to see there.

This 750 kt device will be detonated at about 125,000 feet.

Why? Because the whole freaking point is to extend 2 psi at the leading edge of the blast wave over the widest possible area to damage/destroy manufacturing capability, manufacturing support, and infrastructure, and to kill/injure as many workers as possible.

His Most Excellency on High Emperor Grand Imperial Kleagle Wizard Colonel General Doctor Carl Sagan dada is the only idiot stupid enough to ground-burst a perfectly good strategic nuclear device, and that was only so he could skew the data to scare people to death with his silly "nuclear winter" nonsense.

So, why would you need Iodine?

You only need Iodine if U-235 devices are used, except there's no such thing as a U-235 fission-fusion device and since Pakistan is the only country using U-235 devices, you won't need Iodine unless you're living in or around Pakistan.
I didn't claim I was going to use idoline.

missing an important details in posts is not a sign of credibility.

To be fair if you are turned into toast at least you can help feed any who do survive.
That's very considerate of you.
Mmmmm... Toast.

Or scouted out shelters, extra pantry items etc?
Nuclear war? LOL Not likely.
Putin isn't stupid. He is not going to attack any NATO nation. You attack one, you attack all. Putin doesn't want a war with 30 countries.

Nobody is launching a nuclear weapon.

I put some folding chairs up on my roof so that we could have really good view everything going up in smoke.

Nothing like a front row seat to the apocalypse.

I don't live in a major metropolitan city, and I can't figure out if my city is a target. I want to know so I can head right away to ground zero.

Hey, how are vaccine mandates looking to you these days?
Get a bunch of masks. That'll fix anything.

Nobody is launching a nuclear weapon.
I hope you are correct. A bunch of so called experts didn't think Putin was going to invade Ukraine either. He's got a history of doing some pretty deadly stuff and he has a master plan, co we will see.
I'd rather deal with him now than wait.

There wasn't this much fear of nukes in the 60's, when the fear was far more justifiable.

Bullets, Ivermectin, Toilet Paper, Iodine, Masks, and Social Distancing? In this context?

If ya ask me, the thing we're gonna need the most if this ever happens (and Lord forbid that) is something we've lost a long time ago - common sense.

There's no point in me taking measures as I'm relatively close to London and a few military bases.
WW3 for me will last about 4 and a half minutes (the UK has a 4 minute warning system) and then I'll be vaporized along with everyone else in the UK.
Even if I magically survive unharmed I'm most likely going to die quickly as the entire country will be a radioactive hole in the ground with the chance of help being less than nill.

Yep, WW3 sucks massively for the UK which is why our nuclear subs have a letter of last resort which tells the boat commanders what to do in the event that the UK is a smocking pile of history.

I live in Dublin so it’s slow death from radiation poisoning for me after the Russians hit you chaps.

Back
Top Bottom