• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone Own a Belgian Malinois? (1 Viewer)

I think I tried to make this point six months ago….
I'm sure you did. I believe that I did, also. I confessed that although I had considered getting a Belgian Malinois myself because I am looking for a dog that is resistant to cancer, which they are, that I felt I could not handle a dog that active. But @Checkerboard Strangler 's initial post seemed to me to be saying that working dogs needed to work all the time. I disagree with that. Different breeds of working dogs have different activity levels. Newfoundlands are working dogs and like to have jobs to do. They do not go crazy if they are allowed some down time, however. I have had a Newfoundland. From what I had seen of a friend's Belgian Malinois and what I had read about the breed, I felt I couldn't provide the right home, however.

Untitled.jpg

To own a hi-energy dog, you need to make a life-time, (the dog’s,) commitment. We had a GSD for 12 wonderful years, and it was a lot of work, but rewarding.
Same here.. .our GSD is now 7 years old.
On one hand, due to their intelligence and VERY strong desire to please you, they are exceedingly easy to housebreak and train. Absolute piece of cake.
But on the other hand, they are shepherds. They want everyone to be in sight. They stress when people are in different rooms, or some are outside and some are inside. They hate unpredictability. They learn your habits like no other breed, and stress when you do something out of habit.
Essentially, a GSD wants everyday to be the same. Or at least very predictable. And they settle down only when you are settled down.
If you get lonely while in the bathroom - a GSD will solve that problem :D

Same here.. .our GSD is now 7 years old.
On one hand, due to their intelligence and VERY strong desire to please you, they are exceedingly easy to housebreak and train. Absolute piece of cake.
But on the other hand, they are shepherds. They want everyone to be in sight. They stress when people are in different rooms, or some are outside and some are inside. They hate unpredictability. They learn your habits like no other breed, and stress when you do something out of habit.
Essentially, a GSD wants everyday to be the same. Or at least very predictable. And they settle down only when you are settled down.
If you get lonely while in the bathroom - a GSD will solve that problem :D
Contrast this with the day my Newfoundland "locked" (the door wasn't locked, but he had closed the door and couldn't open it) himself in a very small bathroom and didn't do anything to let us know he was there. No barking or whining or scratching. We searched the house and yard and couldn't find him. (We always kept the bathroom door shut since otherwise he would lift the toilet seat and lid and drink out of it.) He just waited alone and eventually he was found.

Contrast this with the day my Newfoundland "locked" (the door wasn't locked, but he had closed the door and couldn't open it) himself in a very small bathroom and didn't do anything to let us know he was there. No barking or whining or scratching. We searched the house and yard and couldn't find him. (We always kept the bathroom door shut since otherwise he would lift the toilet seat and lid and drink out of it.) He just waited alone and eventually he was found.
That actually happened with Xena, she let out a single loud bark and when I opened the door she was just sitting there waiting and trotted out.

He's going to be BIG. His mom and dad are really, really huge for Mals.
He sounds like the kind of guy I always wind up with. The big ones are fun. Just be sure they are well trained young, and I know that you and your wife get right on the training the second you see your puppies! :)

Have fun!

I almost missed these last photos! How adorable. Your whole property is a dogs' playground (or training ground!). I love the paws, but big as they are, I have to tell you they would fit inside one of my Newfie's huge mitts and disappear! His paws were truly prodigious!

I love your animals. Enjoy them. :)

We have been reading up and talking to people (including breeders and trainers) for months. As you can see, I've started this thread to gather additional feedback and advice.

When you say it's not a house dog, do you mean it cannot be trained to guard a house?
I will add the Louisiana Catahoula to your list for consideration.

Another of the breeds in the border collie, malinois, range of crazy smart working dogs. They can be trained to do anything you can train a dog to do. Naturally protective. Wild genes from the red wild and Carolina Dog added to reinforce pack mentality.

Not a beginners dog. Need a lot of interaction but hound dogs at heart, so laying around is in their wheelhouse. Gotta be alpha but not excessively. Their pack behaviors tend to be mostly of the “The rest of the pack gets to get on the couch! WTF?” variety. Argument and debate.

Mine is a sweetheart through and through. Not a mean bone in his body.

And they come in all colors as they are a “Cur” breed. Designer mutts!

(I see this was an old thread now. Congratulations on your choice! I’m sure you’ll take good care!)

I will add the Louisiana Catahoula to your list for consideration.

Another of the breeds in the border collie, malinois, range of crazy smart working dogs. They can be trained to do anything you can train a dog to do. Naturally protective. Wild genes from the red wild and Carolina Dog added to reinforce pack mentality.

Not a beginners dog. Need a lot of interaction but hound dogs at heart, so laying around is in their wheelhouse. Gotta be alpha but not excessively. Their pack behaviors tend to be mostly of the “The rest of the pack gets to get on the couch! WTF?” variety. Argument and debate.

Mine is a sweetheart through and through. Not a mean bone in his body.

And they come in all colors as they are a “Cur” breed. Designer mutts!

(I see this was an old thread now. Congratulations on your choice! I’m sure you’ll take good care!)
I have heard that Catahoulas are good dogs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom