• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anybody else doing the "At home, online" thing?

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Because of my employment history (or complete lack thereof, as pertains to the past 10 years), I am working at home. I write articles for websites and clients as well. I do transcription, I basically just look all around and see what I can do that equals a budget. A cheap, cheap budget.

I'm wondering how other people are doing, and what changes you have made to either tighten your belts or find other sources of income - or both.

I tend to work from home a lot in the evenings (about every other evening), but I am vpn'd into work, so I guess its not the same thing.

I tend to work from home a lot in the evenings (about every other evening), but I am vpn'd into work, so I guess its not the same thing.

I look at places like GenuineJobs and RatRaceRebellion for actual telecommute openings, in addition to what I do now.

Because of my employment history (or complete lack thereof, as pertains to the past 10 years), I am working at home. I write articles for websites and clients as well. I do transcription, I basically just look all around and see what I can do that equals a budget. A cheap, cheap budget.

I'm wondering how other people are doing, and what changes you have made to either tighten your belts or find other sources of income - or both.

Good for you!!!!! I'd love to find work like that. In my case, it would be just to keep busy. But I do love writing. My life is blessed. I hope yours is as well.

It's been a while since I did at-home business things.
One thing I did that went somewhat smoothly (thought not netting *a lot* of money) was selling jewelry.
I found that visually pleasing pieces that were easy to duplicate - if the design was right - brought in far more money than more complicated (but neato) pieces did.

When doing that - since I had to be budget-very-wise - I'd search Etsy, Ebay and Isell and other things for cheap deals on supplies and all my needs - sometimes bartering what I needed for what I had to get rid of.

I, also, had a good time finding fabrics for people - or selling off my fabric stash - I'd buy on sale/clearance and then resell for a small increase - making a little profit while having all the fun of compulsive buying.

A huge success of mine was teaching a jewelry class at Hobby Lobby once a week in the evenings (I focused it on chainmaille) - I could have done a lot better with the class (organization wise) but I charge $10.00 per 1 hour lesson - and had an average of 10 students.

I look at places like GenuineJobs and RatRaceRebellion for actual telecommute openings, in addition to what I do now.

I wish you success. Personally, I need to be in an office setting to really focus on work, and even than I have trouble with it (hence my posting all day). However, my work schedule tends to be "as people have problems" and "projects" so I end up working evenings because problems don't go away after 5 pm.

Good for you!!!!! I'd love to find work like that. In my case, it would be just to keep busy. But I do love writing. My life is blessed. I hope yours is as well.

It is, thank you! It's easy to get started, as well. I generally recommend people go to Associated Content, first. Get some of your work up and out there, and then start applying at places like DemandStudios.com and break.breakstudios.com. There are a lot of others.

Writing is fun. I just need to kick my clients, because they pay more than the sites do. :D

It's been a while since I did at-home business things.
One thing I did that went somewhat smoothly (thought not netting *a lot* of money) was selling jewelry.
I found that visually pleasing pieces that were easy to duplicate - if the design was right - brought in far more money than more complicated (but neato) pieces did.

When doing that - since I had to be budget-very-wise - I'd search Etsy, Ebay and Isell and other things for cheap deals on supplies and all my needs - sometimes bartering what I needed for what I had to get rid of.

I, also, had a good time finding fabrics for people - or selling off my fabric stash - I'd buy on sale/clearance and then resell for a small increase - making a little profit while having all the fun of compulsive buying.

A huge success of mine was teaching a jewelry class at Hobby Lobby once a week in the evenings (I focused it on chainmaille) - I could have done a lot better with the class (organization wise) but I charge $10.00 per 1 hour lesson - and had an average of 10 students.

I would love to do crafts, especially jewelry creation. Unfortunately, I have tremors which can sometimes be severe, and I can just see beads flying everywhere as I type. But I can type 75 wpm, - for some reason, for the most part, tremors do not affect my speed or accuracy.

I'm wondering (not too hard) about the "buy low, sell high" aspect of working eBay.

I just spent many months trying to make money as an internet marketer, but for reasons beyond my control, we never found success and just dropped the whole thing finally earlier this week.

I wish you success. Personally, I need to be in an office setting to really focus on work, and even than I have trouble with it (hence my posting all day). However, my work schedule tends to be "as people have problems" and "projects" so I end up working evenings because problems don't go away after 5 pm.

My sister is the same way, and if I'm going to be honest, this place with the subscription notifications could be the death of me. I can't have Gmail open while I work, or I'll be right back in here.

I sold quite a bit through Etsy - Ebay's great for supplies - getting rid of this and thats, random stuff that others might want - downside are the little fees they charge you, you can easily out-owe Ebay more than what you put your piece up for. I've lost money just by posting a sale for items - had no buyers - didn't work out too well. But Etsy is great for when you want to sell your pieces but you don't want to deal with the drama that Ebay brings.

The down side to Etsy is that you're not the only one. . .it's a huge international market - hard to be noticed. You have to make frequent activity on your online store (new items, sales, etc) to stay in the circulation loop.

The down side to Etsy is that you're not the only one. . .it's a huge international market - hard to be noticed. You have to make frequent activity on your online store (new items, sales, etc) to stay in the circulation loop.

That's what I was thinking. Getting traffic is not easy.

I have to re-read an article I have on writing for Amazon. That should be good residual income.

That's what I was thinking. Getting traffic is not easy.

I have to re-read an article I have on writing for Amazon. That should be good residual income.

There you go :)

I could never make writing an income - I tried through those pay-for-blogs and review sights . . . but money or no - I'd always forget to write something up!
But I can remember to obcessively check my forum!

There you go :)

I could never make writing an income - I tried through those pay-for-blogs and review sights . . . but money or no - I'd always forget to write something up!
But I can remember to obcessively check my forum!

Oh, I know! I'm bad with forums. :(

Everybody is desperate for content though so once I had a good reputation, it's just a matter of asking your happy clients to put the word out there.

Back
Top Bottom