• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Anti Syrian politician assassignated!

Because it's blatantly obvious who is behind the killings.

And because its obvious, it has to mean its 100% sure its them?

If they were anti-semetic immigration rules then how did 30,000 Jews a year make it into the U.S.?

But if some were turned away, then it must be anti-semetic if you follow the right wing pro Isreal normal stance.

I don't believe there has ever been any pogroms in the U.S..

LOL, hello.. segregation.. if that aint "scapegoating" then .. tsk.

Ya 5 anti-Syrian political figures have been assasinated in the last year.

Yep you have made that clear several times, yet it aint proof. There are other parties that can gain from such assasinations.

It has everything to do with it. Assasinating pro american anti syrian politicans in a middle eastern country?

So now they are pro american? Thought they were pro Isreali.. and you can of course prove that they are pro american right?

No because Hezbollah only holds 8 seats in Parliament, if the people supported them then they would hold more seats and thus have more power but they want to gain more power through non-Democratic means.

Well

Members of the Majlis al-Nuwab (Assembly of Representatives) are chosen through direct, single-round, secret elections from multiple-member districts. The confessional system in Lebanon really operates as a "pre-set" proportional representational system in which the number of seats each community holds in Parliament is fixed in advance.
Because in some districts up to eight candidates will win seats, most candidates join slates or "lists" of candidates usually headed by a member of a prominent family who they hope will help carry them to power. Lists are drawn up with an eye to putting together the most attractive combination of persons representing strategic families and important cities and villages. Less than two percent of the independent candidates running for office -tat is, those who do not join lists- are actually elected.

In casting their ballots, voters choose as many candidates as there are seats in their district. And they may vote for all or only part of a list. They need no vote for a candidate who is of the same religion, although many voters do. Voters are not required to register to vote, but they must be twenty-one years of age. Suffrage is universal. The archaic requirement that voters must cast their ballots in the villages or cities from which their families originated, without regard to current place of residence, probably reduces voter turnout; in the 1972 elections approximately fifty-five percent of the electorate voted.

The President is elected for a six year term by the Assembly of Representatives

Maronites get 34 seats, Sunni 27, Shiite 27, Greek Orthodox 14, Greek Catholic 8, Druze 8, Armenian Orthodox 5, Alaoui 2, Armenian Catholic 1, Protestant 1, Christian Minority 1.. total seats 128.

Now most of the lebanese population is muslim (59.7% according the CIA fact book), yet muslim "groups" get only 54 out of 128 seats, the rest goes to Christian groups and other minorities. Would you not be pissed if say blacks, asian and hispanics got 57% of all seats in the US congress, yet whites are (I belive still) a majority of the population in the US? As you can see Shiities get 27 seats btw in Lebanon, and Hizbolla has 14 of those seats, not 7.

And even IF the Sunni and Shiite and the Druze (also considered muslim), they would not have 50% of the seats in Parlement, yet as I already stated, the muslim population is near 60%.

So you still think that the Lebanese democracy is "fair and balanced"?

And because its obvious, it has to mean its 100% sure its them?

Ya it's pretty much a given except to the die hard Islamic Fascist apologists.

But if some were turned away, then it must be anti-semetic if you follow the right wing pro Isreal normal stance.

No if some were turned away that just that means they didn't qualify for resident status.

LOL, hello.. segregation.. if that aint "scapegoating" then .. tsk.

Not exactly the same thing as a pogram.

Yep you have made that clear several times, yet it aint proof. There are other parties that can gain from such assasinations.

There are no other armed militias with loyalty to Syria who want to wipe out opposition within Lebanon and destroy the coalition government except Hezbollah.

So now they are pro american? Thought they were pro Isreali.. and you can of course prove that they are pro american right?

Actually you wrote that I just forgot to block quote it look at post #22.

Well

Maronites get 34 seats, Sunni 27, Shiite 27, Greek Orthodox 14, Greek Catholic 8, Druze 8, Armenian Orthodox 5, Alaoui 2, Armenian Catholic 1, Protestant 1, Christian Minority 1.. total seats 128.

Now most of the lebanese population is muslim (59.7% according the CIA fact book), yet muslim "groups" get only 54 out of 128 seats, the rest goes to Christian groups and other minorities. Would you not be pissed if say blacks, asian and hispanics got 57% of all seats in the US congress, yet whites are (I belive still) a majority of the population in the US? As you can see Shiities get 27 seats btw in Lebanon, and Hizbolla has 14 of those seats, not 7.

And even IF the Sunni and Shiite and the Druze (also considered muslim), they would not have 50% of the seats in Parlement, yet as I already stated, the muslim population is near 60%.

So you still think that the Lebanese democracy is "fair and balanced"?

No as per the Taif Agreement Muslims get 64 seats and Christains get 64 seats it's equal and it's fair:

1153497419.gif

Last edited:
No as per the Taif Agreement Muslims get 64 seats and Christains get 64 seats it's equal and it's fair:

you got a funny idea of fair... 60% of the population get at best 50% of the seats on paper and in reality less. The Druze are not considered muslim by other muslims, and refer to themselvs as an Islamic Unist, reformatory sect, a sect that is influenced heavily by other religions and philosophies. As for the Alawite, yep they are an offspring of the Shiite and have historic ties to Syria. Forgot about them actually, but as long as the Druze are opponents to other muslim sects, then muslims who have almost 60% of the population dont have any where near a majority of power. My point stands.

There are no other armed militias with loyalty to Syria who want to wipe out opposition within Lebanon and destroy the coalition government except Hezbollah.

Hehe, how time changes.. The Druze were allies of Syria and its in part because of the Druze that Syria entered Lebanon in the first place. Today the Druze are "anti Syrian", but back in the day they were one of the most heavily armed malitias in the civil war. The Druze enemy was in fact Bachir Gemayel the uncle I believe of the slain minister, who himself was assasinated. Its funny how the Druze and the Gemayel family now are allies no? Point is the Druze wanted to destroy the goverment back then.. now they are in the goverment.. for now. Its just not as simple in Lebanon as Fox News and RNC talking points tell you.

Not exactly the same thing as a pogram.

So have laws and rules baring people from areas or doing things based on skin colour is okay but insulting people because they are jewish is just wrong?

Segregation was no different, in fact I would say it was worse, to what European countries did to the jews over the centuries. Only exception is of course Hitler and the Nazies treatment of Jews.

Jews in Europe have always been allowed to vote, to share bathrooms and buses with "normal europeans". They have been citizens and very productive at that.

Sure they have been beaten up and been called names over the centuries and even killed when the ruling class had to blame someone or get rid of debt, but so have the Gypsis and other minorites.. heck gays and women who could read!!!!! We also call the fat kids names and the ones with glasses and occasionally beat them up too.

No if some were turned away that just that means they didn't qualify for resident status.

The Immigration Act of 1924

The Immigration Act of 1924 created a permanent quota system (that of 1921 was only temporary), reducing the 1921 annual quota from 358,000 to 164,000. In addition, the Act reduced the immigration limit from 3 percent to 2 percent of each foreign-born group living in the United States in 1890. Using 1890 rather than 1910 or 1920 excluded the new wave of foreign-born from southern and eastern Europe from quotas truly proportionate to their new numbers in the population. Finally, the act provided for a future reduction of the quota to 154,000. The new law cut the quota for northern and western European countries by 29 percent, but slashed that for southern and eastern Europe by 87 percent. Italy's quota, for example, was reduced from 42,057 to 3,845 persons. In addition, all immigrants now had to obtain a visa from an American consul in their country of origin. Since part of the thrust of the 1924 law was to select those best suited to American society, this system permitted an initial screening of immigrants. The quota system did not apply to countries in the Western Hemisphere. The United States did not want to alienate its neighbors, and it needed workers, especially those from Mexico. During World Wars I and II, the U.S. recruited thousands of temporary workers from Mexico to harvest crops in our labor-short farmland. In 1929 the quota system based on national origin went into effect. In the 1930s, immigration to the United States markedly decreased, in part because of the 1929 Act, but also because of worldwide economic depression. Large portions of most quotas were therefore unfilled. At the same time, thousands of persons sought to flee totalitarian regimes like that in Nazi Germany. Since American immigration policies failed to distinguish between immigrants and refugees in the quota counts, most of the refugees (principally Jews) were barred from coming to the United States. From 1924 to 1947, only 2,718,006 immigrants came to the United States, a total equal to the number entering during any two-year period before World War I. In the 1930s, for the first time in U.S. history, those leaving the United States outnumbered those entering.

In fact the worst effected areas of said law, had the highest number of Jews back then.

you got a funny idea of fair... 60% of the population get at best 50% of the seats on paper

So you support a tyranny of the masses and mob rule rather than a Representative Republic?

and in reality less. The Druze are not considered muslim by other muslims, and refer to themselvs as an Islamic Unist, reformatory sect, a sect that is influenced heavily by other religions and philosophies. As for the Alawite, yep they are an offspring of the Shiite and have historic ties to Syria. Forgot about them actually, but as long as the Druze are opponents to other muslim sects, then muslims who have almost 60% of the population dont have any where near a majority of power. My point stands.

No your point doesn't stand the Druze are muslims and they are counted as such in the CIA world factbook on which you base your 60% of the population figure:

Religions: Muslim 59.7% (Shi'a, Sunni, Druze, Isma'ilite, Alawite or Nusayri), Christian 39% (Maronite Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Melkite Catholic, Armenian Orthodox, Syrian Catholic, Armenian Catholic, Syrian Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Chaldean, Assyrian, Copt, Protestant), other 1.3%

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/le.html

Muslims and Christains each have equal representation within Lebanese Parliament why are you opposed to that? I know why Hezbollah is opposed to that it is because they want to establish a theocratic Islamic Fascist state.

Hehe, how time changes.. The Druze were allies of Syria and its in part because of the Druze that Syria entered Lebanon in the first place. Today the Druze are "anti Syrian", but back in the day they were one of the most heavily armed malitias in the civil war. The Druze enemy was in fact Bachir Gemayel the uncle I believe of the slain minister, who himself was assasinated. Its funny how the Druze and the Gemayel family now are allies no? Point is the Druze wanted to destroy the goverment back then.. now they are in the goverment.. for now. Its just not as simple in Lebanon as Fox News and RNC talking points tell you.

Too bad for you that every single militia has disarmed and brokered peace with one another in compliance with U.N. resolution 1701 except for the Syrian proxy Hezbollah.

So have laws and rules baring people from areas or doing things based on skin colour is okay but insulting people because they are jewish is just wrong?

Segregation was no different, in fact I would say it was worse, to what European countries did to the jews over the centuries. Only exception is of course Hitler and the Nazies treatment of Jews.

Jews in Europe have always been allowed to vote, to share bathrooms and buses with "normal europeans". They have been citizens and very productive at that.

Sure they have been beaten up and been called names over the centuries and even killed when the ruling class had to blame someone or get rid of debt, but so have the Gypsis and other minorites.. heck gays and women who could read!!!!! We also call the fat kids names and the ones with glasses and occasionally beat them up too.

LMFAO do you even know what a pogrom is?

Pogrom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Immigration Act of 1924

In fact the worst effected areas of said law, had the highest number of Jews back then.

It wasn't aimed at Jews which is proven that the law was enacted before the Nazi's even took power.

Got any links where Iran and Syria call for the over-throw of the goverment in Lebanon? Heck got any proof that Syria is behind the assasinations? Sure it looks like it, but got any proof at all the world has not seen? And I would not exactly call the assasinations systematic.

SYRIA CALLS FOR OVERTHROW OF LEBANESE GOVERNMENT
I’ve never been one to put it past Assad to have much class, but this is a bit much. The Syrian government has called unequivocally, through its state-run media, for people to take to the streets of Beirut in order to topple Lebanon’s first independently elected government. Anyone else thinks the heat is starting to get to his head?
Syria has called through its state-controlled Damascus daily Tishreen for a massive demonstration in Beirut Thursday to overthrow Premier Saniora’s government as Lebanon’s confrontation with the Assad regime and its Lebanese supporters seems to be climbing to a new peak.

The call was widely dubbed by the local media as a flagrant intervention in Lebanon’s domestic affairs in defiance of unrelenting global pressure on the Assad regime to take its hands off Lebanon and submit unconditionally to all demands made by the Detlev Mehlis U.N. commission investigating Rafik Hariri’s assassination.

An Nahar noted on Tuesday that not a single political group in Lebanon has announced any plans to demonstrate in Beirut or elsewhere in Lebanon in order to topple Saniora’s 24-member cabinet when it will be holding a debate for a way out of the fuel crisis on Thursday.

Tishreen said widespread riots in northern and eastern Lebanon over high fuel prices in the past three days would escalate into a massive ‘orange’ demonstration in Beirut Thursday, demanding the ouster of the Saniora government under the slogan of “Cold + Famine = Revolt.”

The Tishreen call seems to be an ‘inspiration’ to Hizbullah and other Assad 5th columnists in Lebanon to take to the street to bring down Saniora’s government, which is the first administration formed in Lebanon after Syria’s evacuation in April which ended 29 years of ruthless occupation.

Unless Hizbullah responds, there won’t be any meaningful anti-government protests in Beirut. As if mindful of this concept, Saniora has formally asked Hizbullah’s Energy Minister Mohammed Fneish to prepare a study on ways to squeeze spiraling diesel oil prices down.

Publius Pundit - Blogging the democratic revolution

After throwing the ball of fuel crisis into Hizbullah’s court, Saniora took off to Bahrain for a one-day visit during which he meets King Hamad bin Issa al-Khalifa.

Bah the board ate my reply... grr will see if I can redo it later.

So you support a tyranny of the masses and mob rule rather than a Representative Republic?

Talk about putting words in my mouth. Its seems more to me that you support minority rule... you do know what minority rule is right?... Saddam's Iraq was minoirty rule.. Bush's first term was minoirty rule. Oh, now I see why you support such a rule....

No your point doesn't stand the Druze are muslims and they are counted as such in the CIA world factbook on which you base your 60% of the population figure:

Religions: Muslim 59.7% (Shi'a, Sunni, Druze, Isma'ilite, Alawite or Nusayri), Christian 39% (Maronite Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Melkite Catholic, Armenian Orthodox, Syrian Catholic, Armenian Catholic, Syrian Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Chaldean, Assyrian, Copt, Protestant), other 1.3%

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/le.html

Yes they are muslim, however most muslims dont agree that they are pure muslims which creates some problems. Druze use bits of various religions and traditions in their form of Islam and are today opponents of Syria and the Shia.. however a decaded ago they were allies of Syria. In fact Syria was the main backer of the Druze during the civil war and the Druze changed sides (like most in the civil war) like people change underwear. Add to that, it the family of the assasinated minister was the main opponent to the Druze during the civil war and the druze are suspected in assasinating the christian leader of the time.... from the same familly of the recent assasination.

You also forget to get a muslim majority rule you would require the Shia and Sunni to speak to each other and work together.. and we know how well that is going in Iraq.

Muslims and Christains each have equal representation within Lebanese Parliament why are you opposed to that?

Who said I was? All I have stated is that Muslims out number Christians in the population. How would you like it if say Hispanics or Blacks had a majority or even half of all seats in Congress before elections were even held.. all they have to do is fill in the seats? Thats how the present system is. I have no problems in protecting the rights of minorites, however I do have a problem with miniorites telling majorities what to do. Or would you like a minoirty in the US, say Hispanics, forcing Roman Catholicism on all? Or forcing Spanish as the national language?

And yes Hizbollah and Shia are not a majority in Lebanon, but that does not change my point, that muslims as a whole are, something you have attempted to skip over time and time again.

I know why Hezbollah is opposed to that it is because they want to establish a theocratic Islamic Fascist state.

Yea that was one of thier goals when they were formed... however do you think that is a goal today? Dont you think that even radical groups like Hizbollah have become more realistic? Plus it was a dream not a goal per say and a very unrealistic dream at that, something that Hizbollah has found out. I once saw a quote by the Hizbollah leader (one I cant find now) that states that Hizbollah does not see the estabilishment of an Islamic state in Lebanon as a realistic goal anymore and wount persue it. Now you can believe him or not (I dont) but the figures speak for themselvs, that if they were to realise said dream, then they would have to goto war with the Sunni, Druze and christians and win.... and I doubt very much they could.

Too bad for you that every single militia has disarmed and brokered peace with one another in compliance with U.N. resolution 1701 except for the Syrian proxy Hezbollah.

Wrong. Disarming implys that they still are around just without arms.. That is not true. The Militias disbanded with the exception of Hezbollah. Now why was Hezbollah formed in the first place? To fight Isreal's invasion and considering that Isreal did not leave Lebanon after the invasion or the civil war ended, then well...Also Hizbollah was formed 7 years after the civil war had started.

LMFAO do you even know what a pogrom is?

Pogrom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thought you had missspelled "program", so no I did not know what it meant. However that does not change my point. Segregation included lynchings, beatings, rape, suspension of basic human rights and civil liberties and much of this was intrenched in the local law and traditions. Blacks were blamed for anything and everything during those days. Sound familiar to your accusations about Europeans and Jews? Then again with the exception of Hitlers Germany, show me where Jews were forced to sit in the back of busses, refused an education, stop from doing business or killed in an organised way by goverment within the last 100 or 150 years. Yes we europeans did blame Jews for everything from the plauge to a bad harvest during the dark and middle ages and if there were no jews around, then we blamed gypsis, other christian religious rivals, or even witches and warlocks.

It wasn't aimed at Jews which is proven that the law was enacted before the Nazi's even took power.

Keep believing that, but facts speak for themselvs. The countries that were hardest hit by these new laws were countries where Jews were at greatest risk and greatest numbers. Add to that, the wave of eugenics and racial racial purity laws and ideas sweaping through the US during the 1930s, and then the "screening" of people gives a whole new meaning. Plus the law did not distinguish between refugee and immigrant, and when Hitler came to power in the early 1930s it was clear that he had anti Jewish opinions... why did the law not change then? Why did the oh so Jewish friendly USA, not change its laws to allow more Jews in, Jews fleeing oppression?

Back
Top Bottom