• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-Semitism in the British Labour Party

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Interesting article in the New York Review of Books. Anti-Semitism has a long and complex history in Britain's Labour Party, and Jeremy Corbyn has yet to figure out how to deal with it.

Bad Company | by Geoffrey Wheatcroft | The New York Review of Books

www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/06/28/corbyn-labour-bad-company/

Jun 28, 2018 - Bad Company ...

[FONT=&quot]Although British local council elections are often dissected, like the American midterms, for possible clues to the next general election, it’s very rare for the media to focus on the result in a single borough. But that was what happened on May 3, when Labour failed to take Barnet, a borough on the northern edge of London that it should have won. The opposition expects to do well at this point in the electoral cycle, especially when the government is in trouble, and Theresa May’s Tory government is in very deep trouble indeed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Having become prime minister two years ago when David Cameron resigned after the European Union referendum, which he had called needlessly but expected to win and then lost, May called an election last summer, again needlessly but expecting to increase her parliamentary majority. Instead she lost it; since then she has also lost four Cabinet ministers and such little authority as she possessed. Her Cabinet is polarized and paralyzed by Brexit, with Boris Johnson, the unprincipled mountebank whom she so rashly made foreign secretary, openly and insolently attacking her proposal for a new customs partnership with the EU.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With all of that, Labour ought to have won the borough—except that Jeremy Corbyn is the Labour leader, and Barnet has a large Jewish electorate. Two years ago, Jonathan Arkush, the president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said that “Labour has a serious anti-Semitism problem—and Jeremy Corbyn is failing to fix it.” Barry Rawlings, the leader of the Barnet Labour group, reckons that Corbyn still hasn’t done so. He blamed the electoral disappointment on “Labour’s own failure to deal with evidence of anti-Semitism by some members quickly enough and firmly enough.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Needless to say, right-wing politicians and press have gleefully pounced on this discomfiture for Corbyn. And yet the really damaging evidence was heard from several Jewish Labour members of Parliament on a dramatic recent afternoon in the Commons. Dame Margaret Hodge is a much-respected veteran MP, daughter of Jewish refugees (twice over, fleeing Germany and then Egypt), and niece of an uncle murdered at Auschwitz. “I have never felt as nervous and frightened as I feel today about being a Jew,” she said on April 17. “It feels that my party has given permission for anti-Semitism to go unchallenged.” More chilling still was Ruth Smeeth’s account. She said that she used to expect crazy Jew-hate mail from the right, but now it comes from the left as well, by way of social media: “Hang yourself you vile treacherous Zionist Tory filth, you’re a cancer of humanity…Zionist hag bitch Ruth Smeeth.” While Labour MPs loudly applauded Hodge, Smeeth, and their colleagues, Corbyn didn’t stay to hear the debate, which was an unmistakable condemnation of his leadership.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]His utterances and sympathies, which nobody paid much attention to before, are now very awkward for him. One faintly ludicrous episode concerned a mural painted in the East End of London by a street artist from Los Angeles known as “Mear One.” It depicted a group of hook-nosed men, straight from anti-Semitic caricature, sitting around a large Monopoly board supported by bent-backed figures, presumably the toiling masses. In 2012 it was erased from the wall by the local council, whereupon Corbyn, still a backbench MP, complained on Facebook about its destruction. He had very likely never seen it, and when the image became widely known he had to disown it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And so this current crisis was almost preordained from the moment Corbyn won the party leadership in September 2015, to widespread astonishment. . . . . [/FONT]

I watched the interview with Margaret Hodge concerning her feeling that the Labour party hierarchy were " coming for her " and likened it to stories her father had told her about his life and experiences in 1930's Nazi Germany .

The woman , imo , is a pathetic creature that needs to add in the context of why the Labour leadership contacted her to attend a disciplinary , the alleged " coming for her " claim.

Well, if you make a public statement claiming that your party leader is a " f****n' antisemite " , read a racist bigot , expect to face a disciplinary. Who seriously amongst us here would NOT expect to be hauled before the powers that be for such conduct ?

More on Hodges' bizarre comparison that receiving this summons was like being sort after by SS officers in 1930's Germany. Well, it's evidently ridiculous to compare the two situations. She might wish to fool herself that the comparison is valid if only to try to , falsely imo , garner some desperate sense of the very real suffering and fear her parents definitely encountered with the added bonus of actually jettisoning the responsibility for her own actions.

As for the Labour leaderships , imo , brave stand against attempted Jewish censorship of criticism of Israel and Israeli policies by some Jewish organisations in not yielding to these scumbags.

Whilst people might be forgiven for thinking that every Jew on the planet supported the attacks on Corbyn and Labour for alleged antesemitism , the disparity of views on MSM was glaring as ever , the man that actually produced the definition of antisemitism that the IHRA demand be foisted upon everyone , Kenneth Stern , has condemned its usurpation to silence criticism of Israel as an attack on freedom of speech..

JVL said:
Kenneth Stern is a Zionist and certainly no leftist. Nevertheless to his credit the original author of the IHRA definition is a consistent defender of free speech who condemns the current McCarthyite usage of the IHRA definition.

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.or...drafted-the-ihra-definition-condemns-its-use/

The pathetic hyperbole by some Jewish leaders that has accompanied this farce should have elicited ridicule all by themselves regardless of whatever minority group had made such ridiculous claims. Marie van der Zyl on the news claiming that any future Labour election win would leave her fearing an .................. wait for it , shock horror , " existential threat " to the British Jewish population . This is the junk we have had to endure from people who arrogantly seek to demand that their definition be bludgeoned into Labours MO despite the fact that the Labour Party is an elected body with the right to decide for itself and it's members what it throws it's cap on and what it chooses not to.

The Labour antisemitism row is just the latest attempt by establishment cronies to ouster Corbyn from the Labour leadership and/or undermine the party's image whilst he is at the helm.

It follows on from charges that he was some sort of Cold War USSR would be traitor/spy in the past and just loves Arab terrorism/terrorists............. all junkie claims based on anything and everything the McCarthy type witch hunt can throw up no matter how tenuous the links

I watched the interview with Margaret Hodge concerning her feeling that the Labour party hierarchy were " coming for her " and likened it to stories her father had told her about his life and experiences in 1930's Nazi Germany .

The woman , imo , is a pathetic creature that needs to add in the context of why the Labour leadership contacted her to attend a disciplinary , the alleged " coming for her " claim.

Well, if you make a public statement claiming that your party leader is a " f****n' antisemite " , read a racist bigot , expect to face a disciplinary. Who seriously amongst us here would NOT expect to be hauled before the powers that be for such conduct ?

More on Hodges' bizarre comparison that receiving this summons was like being sort after by SS officers in 1930's Germany. Well, it's evidently ridiculous to compare the two situations. She might wish to fool herself that the comparison is valid if only to try to , falsely imo , garner some desperate sense of the very real suffering and fear her parents definitely encountered with the added bonus of actually jettisoning the responsibility for her own actions.

As for the Labour leaderships , imo , brave stand against attempted Jewish censorship of criticism of Israel and Israeli policies by some Jewish organisations in not yielding to these scumbags.

Whilst people might be forgiven for thinking that every Jew on the planet supported the attacks on Corbyn and Labour for alleged antesemitism , the disparity of views on MSM was glaring as ever , the man that actually produced the definition of antisemitism that the IHRA demand be foisted upon everyone , Kenneth Stern , has condemned its usurpation to silence criticism of Israel as an attack on freedom of speech..

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.or...drafted-the-ihra-definition-condemns-its-use/

The pathetic hyperbole by some Jewish leaders that has accompanied this farce should have elicited ridicule all by themselves regardless of whatever minority group had made such ridiculous claims. Marie van der Zyl on the news claiming that any future Labour election win would leave her fearing an .................. wait for it , shock horror , " existential threat " to the British Jewish population . This is the junk we have had to endure from people who arrogantly seek to demand that their definition be bludgeoned into Labours MO despite the fact that the Labour Party is an elected body with the right to decide for itself and it's members what it throws it's cap on and what it chooses not to.

The Labour antisemitism row is just the latest attempt by establishment cronies to ouster Corbyn from the Labour leadership and/or undermine the party's image whilst he is at the helm.

It follows on from charges that he was some sort of Cold War USSR would be traitor/spy in the past and just loves Arab terrorism/terrorists............. all junkie claims based on anything and everything the McCarthy type witch hunt can throw up no matter how tenuous the links

The NYRB is a very left publication. I'm afraid the McCarthy deflection won't work here.

The deflection is from the right (including Hodge) wing of the Labour party, the remaining Tory-lite Blairite remnants, who see their power fading. It also comes from the Tory party itself, deflecting from their own deeply held antisemitism/Islamophobia problems, not to mention the ongoing brexit shambles. Corbyn is the only Labour leader to have disciplined members for antisemitism.

Corbyn is a stupid anti-Semite.

No, he really isn't, but I can see why it is politically convenient for people on the right to make the claim. There certainly have been some voices within the Labour Party that have flirted with anti-semitic sentiments. I don't think it's possible to argue that Ken Livingston doesn't have a problem with confusing Judaism with militant Zionism. Jeremy Corbyn has no such problem. If you think he has, you have a perfect platform right here to prove your point.

There is no doubt that Corbyn's Labour is a party much more disposed to solidarity with the Palestinian people. The more opportunistic of his opponents both within the party and beyond will and have used that change of position as a reason to make an all-out assault on his anti-racist position.

I think some critics are motivated by a horror of a party with a good chance of coming to power in the UK having a hostile attitude towards the current Israeli régime and its policies regarding the 'peace' process. I think others are motivated by a horror of a Marxist becoming PM and are prepared to use the dirtiest of tricks to prevent that happening.

What I think they are all misjudging is that the hyperbole and exaggeration they are employing is just a bit too transparent. When Margaret Hodge makes analogies between Corbyn and Hitler I think most people, and not just Corbyn supporters, think "That's a bit nuts". She has made it quite clear that her aim in all this is to end his leadership of the party, and she made that clear way before this recent, and I'd say largely manufactured, anti-semitism row. She called for a no-confidence vote in his leadership over 2 years ago. She's not outraged by this, she's delighted to be given an added weapon with which to attack the leadership. They might be damaging Labour in what they are doing, but I also think they are damaging the cause of eliminating anti-semitism from society too.

No, he really isn't, but I can see why it is politically convenient for people on the right to make the claim. There certainly have been some voices within the Labour Party that have flirted with anti-semitic sentiments. I don't think it's possible to argue that Ken Livingston doesn't have a problem with confusing Judaism with militant Zionism. Jeremy Corbyn has no such problem. If you think he has, you have a perfect platform right here to prove your point.

There is no doubt that Corbyn's Labour is a party much more disposed to solidarity with the Palestinian people. The more opportunistic of his opponents both within the party and beyond will and have used that change of position as a reason to make an all-out assault on his anti-racist position.

I think some critics are motivated by a horror of a party with a good chance of coming to power in the UK having a hostile attitude towards the current Israeli régime and its policies regarding the 'peace' process. I think others are motivated by a horror of a Marxist becoming PM and are prepared to use the dirtiest of tricks to prevent that happening.

What I think they are all misjudging is that the hyperbole and exaggeration they are employing is just a bit too transparent. When Margaret Hodge makes analogies between Corbyn and Hitler I think most people, and not just Corbyn supporters, think "That's a bit nuts". She has made it quite clear that her aim in all this is to end his leadership of the party, and she made that clear way before this recent, and I'd say largely manufactured, anti-semitism row. She called for a no-confidence vote in his leadership over 2 years ago. She's not outraged by this, she's delighted to be given an added weapon with which to attack the leadership. They might be damaging Labour in what they are doing, but I also think they are damaging the cause of eliminating anti-semitism from society too.

The New York Review of Books (see OP) is consistently on the left. Neither the New York Times nor the Boston Globe can be called right wing in any rational universe. Mr. Corbyn is an anti-Semite.

Opinion | Getting Off the Fence About Jeremy Corbyn's Anti-Semitism
The New York Times

Aug 27, 2018 · Is Jeremy Corbyn an anti-Semite? That is the question that has dogged British politics since Mr. Corbyn became the Labour Party leader three years ago. It's also dominated every Shabbat dinner ...

Will anti-Semite Jeremy Corbyn be the next British PM? - The Boston Globe
The Boston Globe › 2018/08/31 › story

4 days ago · British Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn delivers a speech outlining the party's policy on Brexit in ... If that happens, will British voters have chosen an anti-Semite to lead their country?

The New York Review of Books (see OP) is consistently on the left. Neither the New York Times nor the Boston Globe can be called right wing in any rational universe. Mr. Corbyn is an anti-Semite.

Opinion | Getting Off the Fence About Jeremy Corbyn's Anti-Semitism
The New York Times

Aug 27, 2018 · Is Jeremy Corbyn an anti-Semite? That is the question that has dogged British politics since Mr. Corbyn became the Labour Party leader three years ago. It's also dominated every Shabbat dinner ...

Will anti-Semite Jeremy Corbyn be the next British PM? - The Boston Globe
The Boston Globe › 2018/08/31 › story

4 days ago · British Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn delivers a speech outlining the party's policy on Brexit in ... If that happens, will British voters have chosen an anti-Semite to lead their country?

Saying that your sources are left-leaning really isn't conclusive proof of anything, now is it? If you want to prove your point you need to quote him or cite him actually saying or doing something anti-semitic, don't you? I am not familiar with the Boston Globe, but I'm going to fight shy of taking the word of a foreign, provincial newspaper on something I hardly believe they will be well-informed about. How interested are you in what the Manchester Evening News thinks about the suitability of Brett Kavanaugh for the USSC?

Saying that your sources are left-leaning really isn't conclusive proof of anything, now is it? If you want to prove your point you need to quote him or cite him actually saying or doing something anti-semitic, don't you? I am not familiar with the Boston Globe, but I'm going to fight shy of taking the word of a foreign, provincial newspaper on something I hardly believe they will be well-informed about. How interested are you in what the Manchester Evening News thinks about the suitability of Brett Kavanaugh for the USSC?

The Boston Globe is a newspaper of national reach and reputation, owned, I believe, by the New York Times. You're the one who pointed to the right as the source of Mr. Corbyn's problems, so it seemed fair to explain that's not the well I'm drawing on. Now, from the Times:

". . . Then, last Thursday, The Daily Mail released a video of Mr. Corbyn speaking at a 2013 conference in London about Britain’s legacy in Palestine. The conference was promoted by the Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas. Other speakers included Stephen Sizer, who has appeared alongside Holocaust deniers at a conference in Iran. So far, so familiar.
What Mr. Corbyn said, however, was different. While bemoaning the activities of a group of Zionists, he identified two problems. “One is that they don’t want to study history, and secondly, having lived in this country for a very long time, probably all their lives, they don’t understand English irony either,” he said. “I think they need two lessons, which we can help them with.”
There’s been some debate over whether he was berating just that particular group of Zionists or Zionists in general. Mr. Corbyn, in a limp effort at explaining himself, has stated that he “described those pro-Israel activists as Zionists in the accurate political sense, not as a euphemism for the Jewish people.”

This is, to put it in British, utter tosh.
This was classic anti-Semitism. Here were a group of Jews with whom Mr. Corbyn has a political disagreement. And he smeared them not on the basis of that disagreement but on the basis of their ethnicity. He accused them of failing to assimilate English values, of not fitting in, of still being a bit foreign. Had they been Christian Zionists, he could not have insulted them in this way.
The video was a watershed for many. Daniel Finkelstein, a Tory peer and columnist for The Times of London, called the revelation “qualitatively different from anything that has come before.” Ben Judah, a Labour-voting author, said that “the nasty comment from Mr. Corbyn on ‘Zionists’ not getting ‘English irony’ has finally snapped the benefit of the doubt extended by many Jewish progressives.”
A writer for The Guardian, Simon Hattenstone, who has repeatedly defended Jeremy Corbyn against charges of anti-Semitism, called his speech “unquestionably anti-Semitic.” And it wasn’t just the Jews. George Monbiot, a giant of the British left, described the comments as “anti-Semitic and unacceptable.”. . . ."

The Boston Globe is a newspaper of national reach and reputation, owned, I believe, by the New York Times.
It may have national reach, just not of the relevant nation.
You're the one who pointed to the right as the source of Mr. Corbyn's problems, so it seemed fair to explain that's not the well I'm drawing on.
*That kinda depends on what you call the right. Margaret Hodge, Corbyn's self-appointed nemesis is a Labour politician. I think she'd describe herself as a socialist. I'm absolutely sure you would, yet she's one of the key figures on the right of the Labour Party, the wing that's trying to ditch Corbyn. I guarantee you, the hyped-up criticism isn't coming from the left of him.

Now, from the Times:

". . . Then, last Thursday, The Daily Mail released a video of Mr. Corbyn speaking at a 2013 conference in London about Britain’s legacy in Palestine. The conference was promoted by the Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas.
Weasel words, both from the Daily Mail and the NYT. What does 'promoted by the Qassam Brigades' mean? It wasn't their event, it was a Palestinian Return Centre event. Did the Qassam Brigades even participate? I haven't seen any such evidence. Damning by alleged association. Cheap stuff.

It may have national reach, just not of the relevant nation. *That kinda depends on what you call the right. Margaret Hodge, Corbyn's self-appointed nemesis is a Labour politician. I think she'd describe herself as a socialist. I'm absolutely sure you would, yet she's one of the key figures on the right of the Labour Party, the wing that's trying to ditch Corbyn. I guarantee you, the hyped-up criticism isn't coming from the left of him.

Weasel words, both from the Daily Mail and the NYT. What does 'promoted by the Qassam Brigades' mean? It wasn't their event, it was a Palestinian Return Centre event. Did the Qassam Brigades even participate? I haven't seen any such evidence. Damning by alleged association. Cheap stuff.

The Qassam Brigades are not the point or the centerpiece of concern. You're dodging.

This was classic anti-Semitism. Here were a group of Jews with whom Mr. Corbyn has a political disagreement. And he smeared them not on the basis of that disagreement but on the basis of their ethnicity. He accused them of failing to assimilate English values, of not fitting in, of still being a bit foreign. Had they been Christian Zionists, he could not have insulted them in this way.

The NYRB is a very left publication.

Never mentioned it/them so obviously you never actually bothered to read my post properly

I'm afraid the McCarthy deflection won't work here.

I described how that McCarthyesque campaign of attacking Corbyn had unfolded and the angles it has taken on. You didn't even mention any of them but decide to try to smear a post you never read , attacking people I never cited solely on their political bent whilst attempting to speak for the whole community here as to what will " work " and what won't here

There were ample points in that post you could have responded to but you evidently have nothing of any value to add so I suggest you stop embarrassing yourself with BS/inert posts like the one above

Never mentioned it/them so obviously you never actually bothered to read my post properly

I described how that McCarthyesque campaign of attacking Corbyn had unfolded and the angles it has taken on. You didn't even mention any of them but decide to try to smear a post you never read , attacking people I never cited solely on their political bent whilst attempting to speak for the whole community here as to what will " work " and what won't here

There were ample points in that post you could have responded to but you evidently have nothing of any value to add so I suggest you stop embarrassing yourself with BS/inert posts like the one above

Corbyn is a racist bigot. The point about NYRB is that they are not part of the international Jewish conspiracy you imagine is at work here.

The Qassam Brigades are not the point or the centerpiece of concern. You're dodging.

You brought this up and now wish to distance yourself from a response to it you don't/didn't like and you claim the other person is " dodging ".............. and I suppose you expect to be taken seriously too

You brought this up and now wish to distance yourself from a response to it you don't/didn't like and you claim the other person is " dodging ".............. and I suppose you expect to be taken seriously too

Read the link.

Corbyn is a racist bigot.

No he's not . Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it so

The point about NYRB is that they are not part of the international Jewish conspiracy you imagine is at work here.

I never mentioned anything about any " international Jewish conspiracy " being " at work here " either

Is this what you do every time you spout off on stuff you obviously don't know much if anything about ?

No he's not . Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it so

I never mentioned anything about any " international Jewish conspiracy " being " at work here " either

Is this what you do every time you spout off on stuff you obviously don't know much if anything about ?

It's what you were dog whistling about.

Saying that your sources are left-leaning really isn't conclusive proof of anything, now is it? If you want to prove your point you need to quote him or cite him actually saying or doing something anti-semitic, don't you?

I would say that someone, anyone, who goes out of their way to associate with members and representatives of terrorist organizations with antisemitic charters are either themselves antisemites, or perfectly okay with associating with antisemites. Jeremy Corbyn has certainly done that by associating himself with Hamas and Hezbollah.

Just to drawn the analogy, Donald Trump was very friendly and conciliatory towards white nationalists and the Alt-Right. Something which should be condemned, and one of the reasons I refused to vote for him. However, to his meager credit, Donald Trump did not go and sit down with open members of Neo-Nazi groups, or say "our friends in the KKK."

However, all this aside, even if Jeremy Corbyn was an outright Jew-hater, would that really matter to most of British Labour voters? Would they throw their party cards into the bin? I strongly doubt it.

It's what you were dog whistling about.

Now it isn't it's just your usual attempts at straw men and evasion. Everything I cited in my first post here was/is strictly from a British origin . If you had bothered reading it that would have been self evident. You didn't and now just wish to trash talk over peoples responses to your posts/points

Why ?

Now it isn't it's just your usual attempts at straw men and evasion. Everything I cited in my first post here was/is strictly from a British origin . If you had bothered reading it that would have been self evident. You didn't and now just wish to trash talk over peoples responses to your posts/points

Why ?

I read it all. It was the basis of my conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom