• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anonymous is a criminal organization than must be taken down

Thunder

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Hacker group Anonymous targets UC-Davis pepper-spray cop | The Cutline - Yahoo! News

The rogue hacker group known as Anonymous posted a YouTube video disclosing the cellphone number, email and home address of Lt. John Pike, the University of California Davis police officer who sparked worldwide outrage when he pepper-sprayed a group of student protesters over the weekend.

We have no problem targeting police and releasing their information even if it puts them at risk," the group said, "because we want them to experience just a taste of the brutality and misery they serve us on an everyday basis."

What a digusting thing they have done, and their statement is twice as disgusting as their action.

What they did is wrong, although it's difficult to feel sorry for Mr. Pike.

What they did is wrong, although it's difficult to feel sorry for Mr. Pike.

#1. what if he has a wife and a family? should they suffer for the unconvicted crimes of this guy?

#2. what if they accidentaly provided the wrong phone number or address? that means some innocent family could be receiving hundreds of hateful phone calls and may get firebombed.

1. No, his family doesn't deserve that, but again I can't speak for Mr. Pike
2. That didn't happen.

2. That didn't happen.

it might happen. or someone might throw a rock through his window.

or someone might light the lawn on fire.

this action by Anonymous, is dangerous and criminal.

Hacker group Anonymous targets UC-Davis pepper-spray cop | The Cutline - Yahoo! News

The rogue hacker group known as Anonymous posted a YouTube video disclosing the cellphone number, email and home address of Lt. John Pike, the University of California Davis police officer who sparked worldwide outrage when he pepper-sprayed a group of student protesters over the weekend.

We have no problem targeting police and releasing their information even if it puts them at risk," the group said, "because we want them to experience just a taste of the brutality and misery they serve us on an everyday basis."

What a digusting thing they have done, and their statement is twice as disgusting as their action.

hackers should be broken on the wheel and then fed to the carrion crows

not a fan of vigilantism.

#1. what if he has a wife and a family? should they suffer for the unconvicted crimes of this guy?

#2. what if they accidentaly provided the wrong phone number or address? that means some innocent family could be receiving hundreds of hateful phone calls and may get firebombed.

Good that you said unconvicted. That's the truth. People don't like what this guy did, but that doesn't mean that he's guilty of a damned thing.

2. That didn't happen.

So street justice now? Here I thought people were innocent 'til proven guilty. (And the guy wasn't even charged with anything.) Silly me.

the irony of Anonymous outing the personal information of other people does not escape me.

i've no love for these scriptkiddies, never have.

Good that you said unconvicted. That's the truth. People don't like what this guy did, but that doesn't mean that he's guilty of a damned thing.

So street justice now? Here I thought people were innocent 'til proven guilty. (And the guy wasn't even charged with anything.) Silly me.

I don't advocate street justice, I just don't feel sorry for the guy.

Anonymous is a dangerous group. All Americans should be concerned about their actions. So far, they've been careful not to do things that directly affect the "99%...but they very well could slip up and if they do, the full weight of federal LE will be brought to bear on them.

In a video clip uploaded to YouTube on Tuesday, a digitized voice claiming to be an operative with the shadowy hacktivist group Anonymous released the cell phone number, email and home address of Pike — and according to the Daily News, his voicemail box has been full ever since.

While YouTube raced to erase the video — citing a breach in its clause prohibiting hate speech — the contents of the clip have since circulated the Web. As the voice in the video puts it, "Dear Officer John Pike, we are Anonymous. Your information is now public domain.”

"We have no problem targeting police and releasing their information even if it puts them at risk," Anonymous claims, "because we want them to experience just a taste of the brutality and misery they serve us on an everyday basis."

The group adds, however, that more damage is on the way, so although no specifics are made, Lt. Pike and other overzealous officers that have gone after Occupy protesters should be ready.

"Expect our full wrath," the video adds. "Anonymous seeks to avenge all protesters. We are going to make you squeal like a pig,” they say, noting that police brutality “will no longer be tolerated.”

It looks as though the Internet meme that the now iconic image of Pike firing pepper spray at protesters was just the tip of the iceberg.

Nearly two months earlier, Anonymous operatives posted similar private information pertaining to NYPD Deputy Inspector Anthony Bologna, calling for an all-out attack on him as well.

“As we watched your officers kettle innocent women, we observed you barberically [sic] pepper spray wildly into the group of kettled women,” an alleged Anonymous member wrote on the Web back in September. “We were shocked and disgusted by your behavior. You know who the innocent women were, now they will have the chance to know who you are. Before you commit atrocities against innocent people, think twice. WE ARE WATCHING!!! Expect Us!”

The chancellor of UC Davis has since apologized for Pike’s actions, though community members — protesters, students and faculty alike — continue to call for her resignation.

This is a terrorist organization and should immediately be targeted by Homeland Security. Anonymous goes after UC Davis pepper-spray cop — RT

If they want to be taken seriously, they should be treated seriously and be taken down. These turds need a long lesson in humility and reality.

Well, to be fair to Anonymous, they aren't a group with a hierarchy or a manifesto.

Rather, they are an anarchic hacktivist community. Basically, one member of Anonymous gets an idea to do something and those other members that are willing to join in do so, while those members who aren't willing don't.

So it's unfair to condemn a whole community for what a few members of it decide to do.

Well, to be fair to Anonymous, they aren't a group with a hierarchy or a manifesto.

Rather, they are an anarchic hacktivist community. Basically, one member of Anonymous gets an idea to do something and those other members that are willing to join in do so, while those members who aren't willing don't.

So it's unfair to condemn a whole community for what a few members of it decide to do.

Devil's advocate to be sure. Certainly not directing this at you.

How often has Anonymous (by that manner of merely using the name Anon) decided to do anything worthwhile, productive, and decent?

I can't recall more than 2 instances. That's maybe a couple of times out of the idiotic and destructive things they decide to do monthly.

Let's face it. Their lack of structure has been used as an excuse for their infantile and destructive actions for a very long time. Any time one dons their banner, comments from the internet come up suggesting it's not fair to accuse them of this since there is no structure, that no one else in the mainstream press gets it, etc. etc. Yet we are hard-pressed to find any instances of them being anything other than irritants or offenders of decency.

Last edited:
Devil's advocate to be sure. Certainly not directing this at you.

How often has Anonymous (by that manner of merely using the name Anon) decided to do anything worthwhile, productive, and decent?

I can't recall more than 2 instances. That's maybe a couple of times out of the idiotic and destructive things they decide to do monthly.

Let's face it. Their lack of structure has been used as an excuse for their actions for a very long time.

Their lack of structure isn't in any way, I think, an excuse for their actions. Rather I mean that you can hold one member of Anonymous responsible for what another member of Anonymous does. So because anyone can claim membership to Anonymous it's difficult to hold that entire membership responsible for what one or a few of that membership does.

I do not approve of the idea of publishing address and such of people accused of crimes, but here's why I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for the officer...

In many areas, such as the area in which I currently live, people who are arrested have their addresses published in the local newspaper every day. The paper gets the information from public records, obtained from the local police. There is no consideration whatsoever for the alleged criminal's family nor for the possibility that they might indeed be innocent. The only time you will ever see any follow-up regarding innocence is if it is a high-profile case and is being followed by the media anyway. If it's not high-profile, readers are just left to assume guilt.

It has always bothered me that the so-called legitimate media publishes addresses. I see no valid point to it. Plus, it can foster vigilantism as well. You could say it is the media and not the police, and I would agree to a point, but they do work together on this and I believe the police see publication as a form of public shaming that works to their benefit. So, while I don't approve of the publishing, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Last edited:
I do not approve of the idea of publishing address and such of people accused of crimes, but here's why I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for the officer...

In many areas, such as the area in which I currently live, people who are arrested have their addresses published in the local newspaper every day. The paper gets the information from public records, obtained from the local police. There is no consideration whatsoever for the alleged criminal's family nor for the possibility that they might indeed be innocent. The only time you will ever see any follow-up regarding innocence is if it is a high-profile case and is being followed by the media anyway. If it's not high-profile, readers are just left to assume guilt.

It has always bothered me that the so-called legitimate media publishes addresses. I see no valid point to it. Plus, it can foster vigilantism as well. You could say it is the media and not the police, and I would agree to a point, but they do work together on this and I believe the police see publication as a form of public shaming that works to their benefit. So, while I don't approve of the publishing, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The problem here is that no one has been accused of a crime...except, maybe, the OWS guys.

What we have here is Anonymous enabling crazy people who object to a police officer who did his job. If anything happens to this officer, his family or his property...it falls on the perpetrators and Anonymous. They should all be punished.

They're just a bunch of smartass little punks who have time left over.
Their main way of hacking is by DDos, which is one of the most basic and crudest forms of hacking. My mother (who's a computer professor who works in game software) hacks better.
Their power and influence is overestimated.

They're not a group, you can't take down and declare criminal something with no cohesion.

Anonymous is not an organized group. Anonymous is a state of mind. Anyone can be anonymous if they choose to be.

Back
Top Bottom