• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Am I reading this right: The SC Is Laying Groundwork to Pre-Rig the 2024 Election

Jack2aTee

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"Republican strategists are gaming out which states have Republican legislatures willing to override the votes of their people to win the White House for the Republican candidate [in 2024]."

This can't be right. Somebody tell me the SC isn't this slimy that they would turn the selection of electors over to state legislatures who could overturn the ones selected by the voters in favor of their own electors just like Trump tried to do in 2020.

The Washington Post:

"The Supreme Court on Thursday said it will consider what would be a radical change in the way federal elections are conducted, giving state legislatures sole authority to set the rules for contests even if their actions violated state constitutions and resulted in extreme partisan gerrymandering for congressional seats."

The Republicans point out that the Constitution says that it's up to the states—"in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct"—to decide which presidential candidate gets their Electoral College votes.

Judge J. Michael Luttig recently wrote:

"Trump and the Republicans can only be stopped from stealing the 2024 election at this point if the Supreme Court rejects the independent state legislature doctrine … and Congress amends the Electoral Count Act to constrain Congress' own power to reject state electoral votes and decide the presidency."

Is this real? Could the SC make a decision on Moore v Harper next year which could set the stage for Republican legislatures having the power the throw out legitimate slates of electors in favor of their own hand-picked electors who would then choose Donald Trump?????? Such a thing is inconceivable in the US. At least it WAS inconceivable until the SC overturned Roe. Everybody should read the short editorial below. It is hair-raising, and ominous.

They absolutely are. It's going to happen as is the banning of gay marriage and contraception in Red States. 2024 will be decided by State legislators in Red Sates, not the voters .......get ready for it. Well look at it this way, gets rid of mail-in voting!

This can't be right. Somebody tell me the SC isn't this slimy that they would turn the selection of electors over to state legislatures who could overturn the ones selected by the voters in favor of their own electors just like Trump tried to do in 2020.

I'm afraid I can't tell you that. "the left" was far more complacent than the right. While the left did things like hand an election to Trump because they were mad at the DNC or mad Bernie didn't win (while I'm mad he runs as a Democrat to siphon votes but otherwise insists on his superior independence), the right did things like tirelessly work to stack courts and withhold votes for D-appointed judges, take over necessary positions of power in state/local government, etc. As if by and large people thought that good would prevail because it should prevail.

Well, no. Hillary lost. Trump won. The GOP stacked the court with three hardcore Federalist Society justices, groomed to overturn Roe and support a strict right wing agenda. They lied their asses off during the confirmation hearing (I don't accept the "it's not lying because it was technically true!" routine; they knew perfectly well that legislators and the public would take their words to mean what they seemed to mean - that Roe was safe - fully intending to

The probability is literally 0 that they didn't know they were going to flip Roe. They lied. They have already proven that there is no bottom for them. I would be surprised if they didn't put meat on the GOP's plan.

They absolutely are. It's going to happen as is the banning of gay marriage and contraception in Red States. 2024 will be decided by State legislators in Red Sates, not the voters .......get ready for it. Well look at it this way, gets rid of mail-in voting!
This is scary stuff. This is like the death of democracy in the US and the institution of an autocracy that elects a dictator for life.

This is scary stuff. This is like the death of democracy in the US and the institution of an autocracy that elects a dictator for life.
Dems better get their act together and go on the defence! They can't stop what the SC does but they need to hold and expand the Senate majority and then the number of Justices or American democracy and freedoms will be lost for generations.

I'm afraid I can't tell you that. "the left" was far more complacent than the right. While the left did things like hand an election to Trump because they were mad at the DNC or mad Bernie didn't win (while I'm mad he runs as a Democrat to siphon votes but otherwise insists on his superior independence), the right did things like tirelessly work to stack courts and withhold votes for D-appointed judges, take over necessary positions of power in state/local government, etc. As if by and large people thought that good would prevail because it should prevail.

Well, no. Hillary lost. Trump won. The GOP stacked the court with three hardcore Federalist Society justices, groomed to overturn Roe and support a strict right wing agenda. They lied their asses off during the confirmation hearing (I don't accept the "it's not lying because it was technically true!" routine; they knew perfectly well that legislators and the public would take their words to mean what they seemed to mean - that Roe was safe - fully intending to

The probability is literally 0 that they didn't know they were going to flip Roe. They lied. They have already proven that there is no bottom for them. I would be surprised if they didn't put meat on the GOP's plan.
If the Dems in Congress had any balls they'd impeach those three justices yesterday. Unless they're going along with "the Plan".

Barrett’s appointment will be considered by historians as America’s Reichstag fire.

And the people who want to see it happen will insist that it just won't happen....until it happens. Just like they did with Roe.

If the Dems in Congress had any balls they'd impeach those three justices yesterday. Unless they're going along with "the Plan".

Isn't 2/3 required to convict in the senate and remove them?

"Republican strategists are gaming out which states have Republican legislatures willing to override the votes of their people to win the White House for the Republican candidate [in 2024]."

The Washington Post:

"The Supreme Court on Thursday said it will consider what would be a radical change in the way federal elections are conducted, giving state legislatures sole authority to set the rules for contests even if their actions violated state constitutions and resulted in extreme partisan gerrymandering for congressional seats."

The Republicans point out that the Constitution says that it's up to the states—"in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct"—to decide which presidential candidate gets their Electoral College votes.

"Trump and the Republicans can only be stopped from stealing the 2024 election at this point if the Supreme Court rejects the independent state legislature doctrine … and Congress amends the Electoral Count Act to constrain Congress' own power to reject state electoral votes and decide the presidency."

Is this real? Could the SC make a decision on Moore v Harper next year which could set the stage for Republican legislatures having the power the throw out legitimate slates of electors in favor of their own hand-picked electors who would then choose Donald Trump?????? Such a thing is inconceivable in the US. At least it WAS inconceivable until the SC overturned Roe. Everybody should read the short editorial below. It is hair-raising, and ominous.

1657046467884.png

Just more crazy progressive fear mongering. State Legislatures do have sole authority to decide how electors are chosen per the plain text of the Constitution and that is how it has been done since day 1.

The Washington Post:

The fix is in. There will never be another Democratic President. Expect abortion to be outlawed on a national basis within just a few years. Democracy is lost in favor of Republican far right fascism.

Which is how they'd like it. What do they get from democracy? Just a lot of expense having to run a massive propaganda system and pander for votes trying to get power, which they might not get. I called Republicans America's CCP for a reason. If you look at China and say 'that's what I want', I have the party for you.

And the people who want to see it happen will insist that it just won't happen....until it happens. Just like they did with Roe.
I uncovered this:

Trump’s Next Coup Has Already Begun

January 6 was practice. Donald Trump’s GOP is much better positioned to subvert the next election.

Technically, the next attempt to overthrow a national election may not qualify as a coup. It will rely on subversion more than violence, although each will have its place.

If the plot succeeds, the ballots cast by American voters will not decide the presidency in 2024. Thousands of votes will be thrown away, or millions, to produce the required effect. The winner will be declared the loser. The loser will be certified president-elect.

The prospect of this democratic collapse is not remote. People with the motive to make it happen are manufacturing the means. Given the opportunity, they will act. They are acting already.

Or ever thought it would be possible.

I uncovered this:

Trump’s Next Coup Has Already Begun

January 6 was practice. Donald Trump’s GOP is much better positioned to subvert the next election.

Technically, the next attempt to overthrow a national election may not qualify as a coup. It will rely on subversion more than violence, although each will have its place.

If the plot succeeds, the ballots cast by American voters will not decide the presidency in 2024. Thousands of votes will be thrown away, or millions, to produce the required effect. The winner will be declared the loser. The loser will be certified president-elect.

The prospect of this democratic collapse is not remote. People with the motive to make it happen are manufacturing the means. Given the opportunity, they will act. They are acting already.

As I said, the fact that most Republicans in Congress voted to not accept the votes in the last election, voted to overturn the voters and steal the presidency for trump, means the Republican Party is dominated by traitors trying to destroy democracy and is all you need to know to recognize that. They're also running candidates promising to steal elections for Republicans across the country.

Just more crazy progressive fear mongering. State Legislatures do have sole authority to decide how electors are chosen per the plain text of the Constitution and that is how it has been done since day 1.
So what's with this big SC decision next year that will change all this? If this is the way it's always done then why didn't Trump win in 2020 by having the 6 key battleground states throw out the duly appointed electors and put in the fake ones just like Trump wanted them to?

Thing is they have no chance to remove them with impeachment because it needs a 2/3 Senate vote, so it would do nothing but put Democrats more on the record about their opinions.

So what's with this big SC decision next year that will change all this? If this is the way it's always done then why didn't Trump win in 2020 by having the 6 key battleground states throw out the duly appointed electors and put in the fake ones just like Trump wanted them to?
Because trump didn't plan well. It's be nice if he also couldn't get the states to go along, and some wouldn't like the leader of the AZ House, but it seems many would.

There is no such case. What this case deals with is what we saw in the last election - courts all over the country usurping the sole Constitutional authority of the State Legislatures to make the rules, ignoring the law, and creating their own rules.

Thing is they have no chance to remove them with impeachment because it needs a 2/3 Senate vote, so it would do nothing but put Democrats more on the record about their opinions.
Yes, but at least it would reveal to the sleeping public just exactly what these three slimeballs did to subvert the process. Not that the sleeping public would even remotely care since they're too busy just trying to get an affordable meal in their stomachs.

Back
Top Bottom