• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Algae on Ice: Another factor.

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I never came across this before today. Nature has a new article about algae being a variable in the melting of the Greenland ice sheets. This coloring, no doubt, has profound effects on the albedo of ice.

NationalGeographic_1364558_web.jpg

Algae are melting away the Greenland ice sheet : Nature News & Comment

Interesting site for those who care:

https://blackandbloom.org/

It will be good if they actually produce nimbers for the Watts per square meter of heat energy absorbtion maximum. That would allow a simple assesment of the maximum potential ice melt per summer.

That would give the maximum ice loss rate once you allow for fresh snowfall and the flow rate of the glaciers.

I was thinking about this. While reading it again, I laughed at something I skimmed over initially:

“They’re extremely lazy algae — they sleep for nine months and then wake up and have a party,”

I'm thinking these algae never existed in these conditions as large as now. Without aerosol pollutants, the algae doesn't have any nutrition to grow. Natural occurring aerosols are very spotty.

This then leads me to wonder if these little critters, if released in the Mars polar regions, could survive there. Maybe we could start Terra-forming Mars with them.

I was thinking about this. While reading it again, I laughed at something I skimmed over initially:

“They’re extremely lazy algae — they sleep for nine months and then wake up and have a party,”

I'm thinking these algae never existed in these conditions as large as now. Without aerosol pollutants, the algae doesn't have any nutrition to grow. Natural occurring aerosols are very spotty.

This then leads me to wonder if these little critters, if released in the Mars polar regions, could survive there. Maybe we could start Terra-forming Mars with them.

Perhaps Mars already has them.

I have seen the argument that there is a mechanism for such seeding already naturally in place where decently large asteroid impacts will throw stuff all over the solar system. Some of it will land on all the inner planets. Bacteria could be the first space travelers.

Sea Ice News
[h=1]NSIDC on Arctic Sea Ice: ‘A new record low September ice extent now appears to be unlikely.”[/h]From the National Snow and Ice Data Center. A cool and stormy Arctic in July An extensive area of lower than average temperatures in the Central Arctic and the Siberian coast, attended by persistent low pressure systems in the same region, led to slightly slower than average sea ice decline through the month. The stormy…

I love how the Gods laugh at the alarmists.

And here's what a slightly lower than average sea ice decline looks like:

Figure2a.png

The lowest recorded time-of-year sea ice extent turned into the second lowest recorded sea ice extent. Those dummy alarmists.

From the interactive graphs on that site, the lowest summer minimums in order were 2012, 2007, 2011 and 2015, with those last four really not that far apart. By the looks of it 2016 may (or may not) easily beat any of those years except probably 2012.

I'm being silly of course. Any reasonable person can see that we're looking at a pause in sea ice decline for 4 years and counting. Silly alarmists.

Sea Ice News
[h=1]NSIDC on Arctic Sea Ice: ‘A new record low September ice extent now appears to be unlikely.”[/h]From the National Snow and Ice Data Center. A cool and stormy Arctic in July An extensive area of lower than average temperatures in the Central Arctic and the Siberian coast, attended by persistent low pressure systems in the same region, led to slightly slower than average sea ice decline through the month. The stormy…

They seem so sad about it. ;)

I'm being silly of course. Any reasonable person can see that we're looking at a pause in sea ice decline for 4 years and counting. Silly alarmists.

Arctic / Sea ice
[h=1]Interesting and positive changes in Arctic sea ice volume[/h]Are we seeing an Arctic change? Three out of the four most recent years show increase in ice volume not seen since 2003. Guest essay by Frank Lansner DMI publishes daily their Arctic ice volume data in the form of graphs. From these it is possible to retrieve the data and plot them as you like.…

Back
Top Bottom