• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[Alaska] Alaska cancels snow crab season for first time after population collapses

LouC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
WAY TO GO BRANDON!!!

Alaska will cancel the upcoming winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea for the first time, and bar fishers from catching king crabs in the Bristol Bay for a second consecutive year, because of a sharp decline in their estimated population.

For about a decade, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has documented a continued decline in the estimated population of mature male snow crabs — the only kind allowed to be harvested — in the Bering Sea. …

“In the Bering Sea, Alaska pollock, snow crab, and Pacific halibut have generally shifted away from the coast since the early 1980s,” the EPA wrote. “They have also moved northward by an average of 19 miles.”

Seriously though, this royally sucks.

First I feel deep concern for all the folks who depend directly upon the fishing for their living and then I have deep concern for the secondary businesses that need the fleets out fishing.

I just don't know what is going on but it is obvious, or should be, to everyone that the earth is reacting oddly for some reason and climate change influenced by men should not be ruled out entirely. But that I will leave to the climate change threads.

Of course the folks who got the greatest benefits from the oft bragged about "Biggest Tax Cuts in American History" won't be affected any by a crab meal of $500 dollars a plate or more, but I will likely never eat real crabs again in my lifetime.

Bummer!

I just don't know what is going on but it is obvious, or should be, to everyone that the earth is reacting oddly for some reason and climate change influenced by men should not be ruled out entirely. But that I will leave to the climate change threads.
The earth is not reacting oddly. The lack of crab is the result of over fishing.
https://www.alaskajournal.com/2022-02-02/bering-sea-snow-crab-deemed-‘overfished’
and snow crab isn't the only endangered fishery. King crab, scallops, halibut, salmon and possibly pollock are on the list.

Look at the title of your article; "Alaska cancels snow crab season for first time after population collapses"

When a population of anything collapses it can no longer replace itself. It is overfished out of its environment, other creatures take over that environment, the original species is never able to move back into that environment because it is fully occupied and defended by the new species.

Read about the Cod fisheries collapse in Newfoundland.

Overfishing is caused by man not the earth.

The earth is not reacting oddly. The lack of crab is the result of over fishing.
https://www.alaskajournal.com/2022-02-02/bering-sea-snow-crab-deemed-‘overfished’
and snow crab isn't the only endangered fishery. King crab, scallops, halibut, salmon and possibly pollock are on the list.

Look at the title of your article; "Alaska cancels snow crab season for first time after population collapses"

When a population of anything collapses it can no longer replace itself. It is overfished out of its environment, other creatures take over that environment, the original species is never able to move back into that environment because it is fully occupied and defended by the new species.

Scientists have expressed suspicion that warmer temperatures in recent years have been responsible. Alaska’s summers and oceans have become warmer, scientists say, resulting in a significantly higher seasonal loss of sea ice. The U.S. Environment Protection Agency said in a recent report that rising temperatures may have forced species such as snow crabs further north or into deeper seas.

“In the Bering Sea, Alaska pollock, snow crab, and Pacific halibut have generally shifted away from the coast since the early 1980s,” the EPA wrote. “They have also moved northward by an average of 19 miles.”

A December 2020 study co-written by Alaska fishing officials also found that the decrease in the geographical size of snow crab habitats could be linked to warming.

If you read the link you posted, they explained 'overfished' is just a label they use to designate a species as not having enough population to sustain itself. It doesn't necessarily mean we over fished it. In this case they suspect something else is going on. People talk about global warming but I'm not sure lower sea temperature has changed all that much. This is similar to the Colony Collapse Disorder in bees where they have a huge die-off and scientist really do not know why.

WAY TO GO BRANDON!!!

First I feel deep concern for all the folks who depend directly upon the fishing for their living and then I have deep concern for the secondary businesses that need the fleets out fishing.

Of course the folks who got the greatest benefits from the oft bragged about "Biggest Tax Cuts in American History" won't be affected any by a crab meal of $500 dollars a plate or more, but I will likely never eat real crabs again in my lifetime.

Bummer!
Them crab fishermen are some of the highest paid people in the US. I think they'll survive a season off.

WAY TO GO BRANDON!!!

Bummer!
Alaska ought to cut down on the salmon fishery too. It doesnt matter how careful we are here in British Columbia when the salmon go to deep water.

WAY TO GO BRANDON!!!

Bummer!
You have to understand Alaska's fish and game management. Unlike most States, Alaska's fish and game regulations can change on a daily basis. If there is an insufficient number of king salmon returning up a particular river, for example, the ADF&G will shut down that river to all king salmon fishing. The ADF&G shut down commercial king crab fishing in Bristol Bay last year because there were not enough king crab. It is not that uncommon for a river or bay to be closed to a particular species of fish or shellfish for several years. Everything depends on the count.

This style of management is why Alaska's fisheries have only gotten stronger in population. When Alaska became a State in 1959 there were ~5 million salmon in Alaska's waters. Today there are more than 25 million, and increasing.

It can be a pain in the ass, however, because you have to check the ADF&G regulations on a daily basis. If a river or bay has been closed for a particular species and you are caught fishing there, you will be fined even if the closure was made the same day. That might seem a bit aggressive, but it has kept Alaska's fisheries open in the long run and increased the numbers over time.

This has absolutely nothing to do with climate change, and everything do with humans managing their fisheries. By the way, the current commercial price for snow crab is $4.96/pound. Up a dollar since last year.

It is also not the only fishery. Commercial snow crab fishing in the Bering Sea and king crab fishing in Bristol Bay were canceled this year, not snow and king crab fishing everywhere. I can still go fishing for both snow and king crab in Homer when they are in season in 2023. Alaska is a big place, with lots of different fisheries.

There is also no mention by the ADF&G of any "population collapse." That is Fake News by Democratic Party propagandists. This is the actual advisory announcement from the ADF&G:

2022/23 Bering Sea Snow Crab Season Closed

Scientists have expressed suspicion that warmer temperatures in recent years have been responsible. Alaska’s summers and oceans have become warmer, scientists say, resulting in a significantly higher seasonal loss of sea ice. The U.S. Environment Protection Agency said in a recent report that rising temperatures may have forced species such as snow crabs further north or into deeper seas.
Except that they haven't become warmer, and no scientist has ever said so. Sea ice has also remained relatively static, with no loss. As if the EPA had first clue about ocean species. It is truly amazing how much complete bullshit you have managed to spew.

A December 2020 study co-written by Alaska fishing officials also found that the decrease in the geographical size of snow crab habitats could be linked to warming.
The EPA is not a credible source. They do not study fisheries and don't have the vaguest clue what they are talking about.

Last edited:
If you read the link you posted, they explained 'overfished' is just a label they use to designate a species as not having enough population to sustain itself. It doesn't necessarily mean we over fished it. In this case they suspect something else is going on. People talk about global warming but I'm not sure lower sea temperature has changed all that much. This is similar to the Colony Collapse Disorder in bees where they have a huge die-off and scientist really do not know why.
Alaska is always counting its fish and game. When the population declines below a certain number the ADF&G either restricts/limits what can be caught or closes down that particular fishery for that season. Sometimes a river or bay may stay closed to certain species for multiple years. However, once the numbers reach a certain point the ADF&G will once again reopen those fisheries.

I recall during the 1990s when rainbow/steelhead trout were catch and release only for several years because some moron dumped a bunch of northern pike into a nearby lake. That lake fed into the river and the pike ate all the trout fry in that river. After the illegally dumped northern pike had been eradicated, the trout began to slowly return. Now we keep the trout we catch in that river. It all depends on the numbers.

The exact opposite has occurred as well. There have been a few years where the returning salmon were so numerous they threatened the health of the entire river system. In such cases the ADF&G has opened those rivers to dip-net fishing, and increasing the harvest to 25 per individual.

There is no collapse of any fisheries. They are just below the number the ADF&G feels are currently sustainable. In a year or two, after those fisheries have been closed, the numbers will rebound and the ADF&G will reopen those fisheries. This is how Alaska manages its fish and game.

Alaska ought to cut down on the salmon fishery too. It doesnt matter how careful we are here in British Columbia when the salmon go to deep water.
Why? Alaska's salmon population has increased by more than five fold since becoming a State.

Except that they haven't become warmer, and no scientist has ever said so. Sea ice has also remained relatively static, with no loss. As if the EPA had first clue about ocean species. It is truly amazing how much complete bullshit you have managed to spew.

The EPA is not a credible source. They do not study fisheries and don't have the vaguest clue what they are talking about.
Yes, scientists with decades of education and work in their fields are clueless, you know the real truth though...

Yes, scientists with decades of education and work in their fields are clueless, you know the real truth though...
Then post one, just one, that makes any of the claims posted by Loulit01. You can't because none ever have. They are all blatant lies.

WAY TO GO BRANDON!!!

Bummer!
King crabs are good, but come to CA during Dungeness season (which are also out of whack due to climate change). I admit that each time I have them, I wonder if I'll have them again next year. Looks like the end comes fast and somewhat unexpectedly.

Alaska oil industry wages average $113,000/annually, ranging from the low-end of $100,000 to the high end of $129,000.

Alaska, where high school dropouts earn 6 figures. I thought you were blaming President Biden for inflation.

You have to understand Alaska's fish and game management. Unlike most States, Alaska's fish and game regulations can change on a daily basis. If there is an insufficient number of king salmon returning up a particular river, for example, the ADF&G will shut down that river to all king salmon fishing. The ADF&G shut down commercial king crab fishing in Bristol Bay last year because there were not enough king crab. It is not that uncommon for a river or bay to be closed to a particular species of fish or shellfish for several years. Everything depends on the count.

This style of management is why Alaska's fisheries have only gotten stronger in population. When Alaska became a State in 1959 there were ~5 million salmon in Alaska's waters. Today there are more than 25 million, and increasing.

It can be a pain in the ass, however, because you have to check the ADF&G regulations on a daily basis. If a river or bay has been closed for a particular species and you are caught fishing there, you will be fined even if the closure was made the same day. That might seem a bit aggressive, but it has kept Alaska's fisheries open in the long run and increased the numbers over time.

This has absolutely nothing to do with climate change, and everything do with humans managing their fisheries. By the way, the current commercial price for snow crab is $4.96/pound. Up a dollar since last year.
Bingo. Alaska has this well covered. They know how to manage their fisheries probably better than any other state in the country. As long as no one interferes, things will be just fine.
It is also not the only fishery. Commercial snow crab fishing in the Bering Sea and king crab fishing in Bristol Bay were canceled this year, not snow and king crab fishing everywhere. I can still go fishing for both snow and king crab in Homer when they are in season in 2023. Alaska is a big place, with lots of different fisheries.

There is also no mention by the ADF&G of any "population collapse." That is Fake News by Democratic Party propagandists. This is the actual advisory announcement from the ADF&G:

2022/23 Bering Sea Snow Crab Season Closed
Thank you. I hadn't heard "population collapse" or any alarm bells anywhere in the fishing community. I heard about the closure, but fisheries close and limits and regulations change regularly, to anyone inside the industry it is expected and anticipated.
For what is literally the most dangerous job in the world. Alaskan fishing is an entirely different breed of human and they are about as tough as it gets. They deserve every penny they earn and more.

Then post one, just one, that makes any of the claims posted by Loulit01. You can't because none ever have. They are all blatant lies.
It's blatant lies that the earth's climate has warmed?

As expected, not a single source to back up any of your completely bogus claims.
The instrumental record - multiple data sets. The sat record - multiple data sets. Multiple proxies from around the word including glacial retreat. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02179-1

This is not even debatable anymore. Hell it hasn't been since the late 80s for that matter.

Climate change and overfishing are real things. Fake crab meat isn't that bad.

Bingo. Alaska has this well covered. They know how to manage their fisheries probably better than any other state in the country. As long as no one interferes, things will be just fine.

Thank you. I hadn't heard "population collapse" or any alarm bells anywhere in the fishing community. I heard about the closure, but fisheries close and limits and regulations change regularly, to anyone inside the industry it is expected and anticipated.

For what is literally the most dangerous job in the world. Alaskan fishing is an entirely different breed of human and they are about as tough as it gets. They deserve every penny they earn and more.
I didn't say they didn't, I said taking a season off shouldn't be too tragic.

Back
Top Bottom