• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker made nearly $1M working for controversial group

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From ABC News

Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker made nearly $1M working for controversial group, new records show

Last year, before joining the Justice Department and taking a government salary, now-Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker made nearly a million dollars in salary while leading a tax-exempt organization that allegedly advocated right-wing positions.

The disclosure comes in financial reports the Justice Department sent to congressional committees late Tuesday afternoon – after DOJ revised the documents five times in the past two weeks, the documents show.

The reports say Whitaker received $904,000 in salary from the Foundation for Accountability & Civic Trust, where he served as president and executive.

COMMENT:-

Now what could possibly be suspicious about someone receiving bundles of money from a "charity" that doesn't spend a dime towards its stated objectives, doesn't have any employees, and some of whose "Board of Governors" members didn't know that they were on the "Board of Governors"?

I mean the facts that the "someone" is actually the only person who received any money from the "charity" and that that "someone" was the sole person who authorized the expenditures of that "charity" only reinforce the completely proper conduct of that "charity" - right?

From ABC News

Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker made nearly $1M working for controversial group, new records show

Last year, before joining the Justice Department and taking a government salary, now-Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker made nearly a million dollars in salary while leading a tax-exempt organization that allegedly advocated right-wing positions.

The disclosure comes in financial reports the Justice Department sent to congressional committees late Tuesday afternoon – after DOJ revised the documents five times in the past two weeks, the documents show.

The reports say Whitaker received $904,000 in salary from the Foundation for Accountability & Civic Trust, where he served as president and executive.

Now what could possibly be suspicious about someone receiving bundles of money from a "charity" that doesn't spend a dime towards its stated objectives, doesn't have any employees, and some of whose "Board of Governors" members didn't know that they were on the "Board of Governors"?

I mean the facts that the "someone" is actually the only person who received any money from the "charity" and that that "someone" was the sole person who authorized the expenditures of that "charity" only reinforce the completely proper conduct of that "charity" - right?

What is controversial about a tax-exempt organization that advocates right-wing positions?

Oh...and is FACT a "charity" because AP says they are? Here is what FACT says about themselves: "FACT is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting accountability, ethics, and transparency in government and civic arenas." https://www.factdc.org/

Doesn't sound like a charity to me.

Last edited:
What did he do give two speeches for the Kremlin like Clinton did?

From ABC News

Oh, the horror ... making money while not working for the government ... shouldn't be allowed ...

What is controversial about a tax-exempt organization that advocates right-wing positions?

Oh...and is FACT a "charity" because AP says they are? Here is what FACT says about themselves: "FACT is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting accountability, ethics, and transparency in government and civic arenas." https://www.factdc.org/

I did put the word "charity" in quotation marks, but I'll accept your point. and rephrase my comment as

Now what could possibly be suspicious about someone receiving bundles of money from a "tax-exempt organization" that doesn't spend a dime towards its stated objectives, doesn't have any employees, and some of whose "Board of Governors" members didn't know that they were on the "Board of Governors"?

I mean the facts that the "someone" is actually the only person who received any money from the "tax-exempt organization" and that that "someone" was the sole person who authorized the expenditures of that "tax-exempt organization" only reinforce the completely proper conduct of that "tax-exempt organization" - right?

After reviewing the above, I'm still of the opinion that the entire "non-profit" is a tax scam.

What's it look like to you?

From ABC News

So what?

I did put the word "charity" in quotation marks, but I'll accept your point. and rephrase my comment as

Now what could possibly be suspicious about someone receiving bundles of money from a "tax-exempt organization" that doesn't spend a dime towards its stated objectives, doesn't have any employees, and some of whose "Board of Governors" members didn't know that they were on the "Board of Governors"?

I mean the facts that the "someone" is actually the only person who received any money from the "tax-exempt organization" and that that "someone" was the sole person who authorized the expenditures of that "tax-exempt organization" only reinforce the completely proper conduct of that "tax-exempt organization" - right?

After reviewing the above, I'm still of the opinion that the entire "non-profit" is a tax scam.

What's it look like to you?

Have you informed the Clintons and Obamas on your opinion yet?

From their "About" page:

The Foundation for Accountability & Civic Trust (FACT) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization

Why did you leave out the bolded part?

Maybe it's because a 501(c)(3) is aka a "charity."

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-p...tion-requirements-section-501c3-organizations

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations.

Have you informed the Clintons and Obamas on your opinion yet?

If you think that it was wrong for the Clintons and Obamas to do it (assuming that they did [for which there is no evidence {a lot of accusations, but no evidence}]) why do you think that it is OK for Mr. Whittaker to do it?

I know, because "That's DIFFERENT!!!".

Nope, not at all. People have a right to work, he exercised it. Again: So what?

And, of course, neither the Clintons nor the Obamas "have a right to work".

Mind you, I do understand that "That's DIFFERENT!!!".

(The difference being that the Clintons and the Obamas are "The Other Guys" while Mr. Whittaker is one of "Our Guys".)

If you think that it was wrong for the Clintons and Obamas to do it (assuming that they did [for which there is no evidence {a lot of accusations, but no evidence}]) why do you think that it is OK for Mr. Whittaker to do it?

I know, because "That's DIFFERENT!!!".

Didn't say that it was neither right nor wrong, just felt your strong opinion should be forwarded to the Clintons and the Obamas ... (grin)

Didn't say that it was neither right nor wrong, just felt your strong opinion should be forwarded to the Clintons and the Obamas ... (grin)

There is no reason for me to tell someone against there are only accusations and no evidence (despite repeated investigations) that I think that what they didn't do would have been wrong if they had done it.

My position is fairly straight forward, if Mr. Whitaker has done what there is evidence of him doing then it is wrong and if Mr Obama or Ms. Clinton had done the same thing then it would be just as wrong.

The position of "Team Trump" is equally straight forward and that is

That __[NAME 1]__ did "X" is of no consequence because __[Name 2]__ also did "X", but the fact that __[Name 2]__ did "X" is horrible. Not only that, but it doesn't actually matter that there have been repeated investigations into __[Name 2]__ and none of them have verified what we are saying __[Name 2]__ did .

PS - I am well aware that BOTH "The MORE Reactionary Wing of the American Conservative Oligarchic Capitalist Party" and "The LESS Reactionary Wing of the American Conservative Oligarchic Capitalist Party" use exactly the same tactic and I consider it equally wrong for both of them. This, of course, is in contrast with the prevailing view that "It's OK if 'My Guys' do it, but utterly despicable if 'Their Guys' do it.".

Back
Top Bottom