• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ACORN at it again (still?)

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Fox News said:
An official report released this week says an ACORN offshoot group cannot properly account for how it has spent millions of federal dollars and recommends that the group repay the government and be put on standby mode until it cleans up its act.

The report from the inspector general for the Department of Housing and Urban Development reviewed how ACORN Housing Corporation -- now called Affordable Housing Centers of America -- has spent federal grant money over the past two decades. The report described the group's book-keeping as "problematic and unsupported," and claimed that more than $65,000 in "ineligible" salary expenses were charged to a federal grant last year, including costs for six employees after they were terminated.

FOXNews.com - Government Report Cites ACORN Offshoot for 'Ineligible' Payments, Grant Problems

Poor innocent ACORN... err ahh... AHCA now, getting picked on again by the big bad government for misusing government grant money. Imagine that. I think this is all some government plot or conspiracy to degrade and enslave the good work ACOR... the AHCA is doing for the needy in the United States. For shame ... can't they see that the AHCA is simply helping out the disadvantaged and showing them how to get around taxes and other nonsensical government requirements? To do that they need highly trained scam artists to ply their trade and pass on their knowledge to the populace and that costs money ya know. Flimflam men and women aren't cheap so how else are they to be paid?

The government is so stupid sometimes.

FOXNews.com - Government Report Cites ACORN Offshoot for 'Ineligible' Payments, Grant Problems

Poor innocent ACORN... err ahh... AHCA now, getting picked on again by the big bad government for misusing government grant money. Imagine that. I think this is all some government plot or conspiracy to degrade and enslave the good work ACOR... the AHCA is doing for the needy in the United States. For shame ... can't they see that the AHCA is simply helping out the disadvantaged and showing them how to get around taxes and other nonsensical government requirements? To do that they need highly trained scam artists to ply their trade and pass on their knowledge to the populace and that costs money ya know. Flimflam men and women aren't cheap so how else are they to be paid?

When funding was cut off to ACORN I knew it would make no difference really. They are so corrupt they will find a way to continue business as usual.
What I've never seen is the "good" Acorn has ever done with all the federal funds they receive. Most seem to disappear into thin air.

At it again? What did they do the first time?

At it again? What did they do the first time?

sounds more like FOX is "at it again". Murdoch's minions have a bug up the ass and are taking the liberty of ****ting on your porch trying to get it out. Here is the straight dope:
Salary expenses charged by AHC to the HUD housing counseling grants were not fully supported. Payroll records requested did not comply with OMB Circular A-122, for example, time sheets did not distribute hours by grant. Further, the caseload allocation method used by AHC to determine the amount of HUD-chargeable salary expenses was problematic and unsupported. Consequently, HUD had no assurance that the counselors' salary expenses charged to the HUD grants reflected grant-eligible services. Also, ineligible salary expenses totaling $65,548.37 were charged to the FY 2009 HUD grant, and Federal procurement standards at 24 CFR Part 84 which requires "open and free" competition was not met.
source: U.S. Dept Of Housing And Urban Development

summary,

A) record keeping was not to government standards.

B) some salaries incurred were not payable by grants.

C) there was not enough competition in oursource bidding.

errors, no suggestion of fraud or any attempt to deceive. every dollar was spent on legitimate pursuits and accounted for.

like a student that uses grant money to buy books and school supplies - the books are covered by the grant money, the supplies are not. she would have to return those monies.

FOX is smearing a group they do not like.

and the OP is helping them to do so.

geo.

sounds more like FOX is "at it again". Murdoch's minions have a bug up the ass and are taking the liberty of ****ting on your porch trying to get it out. Here is the straight dope:

source: U.S. Dept Of Housing And Urban Development

summary,

A) record keeping was not to government standards.

B) some salaries incurred were not payable by grants.

C) there was not enough competition in oursource bidding.

errors, no suggestion of fraud or any attempt to deceive. every dollar was spent on legitimate pursuits and accounted for.

like a student that uses grant money to buy books and school supplies - the books are covered by the grant money, the supplies are not. she would have to return those monies.

FOX is smearing a group they do not like.

and the OP is helping them to do so.

geo.

Like I said, flimflam men cost money.

The first link is some right-wing hack job speculating and is referencing the well-disproven "pimp" fiasco. (those videos were edited to show the opposite of reality. very cleverly, actually)
ACORN turned in those employees commiting the registration fraud. (which is entirely different in importance than voter fraud!)
Why should I be concerned with ACORN splintering into smaller groups?

The first link is some right-wing hack job speculating and is referencing the well-disproven "pimp" fiasco. (those videos were edited to show the opposite of reality. very cleverly, actually)
ACORN turned in those employees commiting the registration fraud. (which is entirely different in importance than voter fraud!)

Well you wouldn't be concerned because ACORN supports the candidates that you generally support --- the one's with the (D).

Registering dead people to vote is voter fraud, my good man, no matter how you slice it. Where is the evidence to show that the "Pimp" fiasco was "disproven"?

Personally, I think ACORN did a lot of good, but they also did a lot of illegal stuff. Any organization that get's government funding, aka tax payers hard earned, should be absolutely above board. Accounting, record keeping, and a few salaries inappropriately paid for is enough to get them dropped from funding imo. If their going to use my money, they need to hire professionals that know what the hell they are doing.

Registering dead people to vote is voter fraud, my good man, no matter how you slice it. Where is the evidence to show that the "Pimp" fiasco was "disproven"?

Personally, I think ACORN did a lot of good, but they also did a lot of illegal stuff. Any organization that get's government funding, aka tax payers hard earned, should be absolutely above board. Accounting, record keeping, and a few salaries inappropriately paid for is enough to get them dropped from funding imo. If their going to use my money, they need to hire professionals that know what the hell they are doing.

Voter registration fraud and voter fraud are extraordinarily different because dead people don't actually show up and vote. Also, that voter registration fraud was caught and flagged by ACORN. They turned in their own employees, exactly as the law required them to. ACORN was legally required to turn in voter registration forms, even if they know them to be fraudulent. They did so and flagged them for the proper authorities. The employees in question were terminated and the police took over from there. Is there something more you would have liked ACORN to do? Other than being prescient and knowing which employees are going to be too lazy to actually go out and register people, instead choosing to fake the certificates so they can be paid to do nothing.

There is no evidence that any fraudulent votes were actually cast as a result of these ****heel employees. They were teenage losers wanting easy money, not people trying to steal an election.

As for the pimp thing, seriously, go look it up. Google "ACORN pimp hoax." More than one law enforcement agency reviewed the unedited tapes and transcripts and determined that the tapes were edited to fit an agenda. The clever edits:

1) Pimp boy never actually dressed as a pimp in the offices, which means pimp boy straight up lied to you on that Fox News morning show.
2) House they were trying to get a loan for was pitched as a home for this hooker girl to escape prostitution.
3) Similarly, home was pitched as an escape from prostitution for the underage girls
4) The "tax evasion" advice was telling the girl to declare all income and pay taxes on it, even if the source is prostitution. That is literally the opposite of tax evasion. The IRS does not care what your income source is, prosecuting hookers is not their mission. They just want a cut.

So what's this "a lot of illegal stuff," again?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom