• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Salute to our Veterans

It is good again that people who wear the uniform or had worn it are respected again in this country.

During the Vietnam Conflict wearing your military uniform in an airport you were almost invisible. Never had anything like someone spitting on me but you just felt invisible.
The only time you felt good was seeing another member in uniform.

No, they are not volunteers. A volunteer is someone who works for a charitable cause or organization without being paid.

Drafted men obviously did not volunteer to join the military. But those who did fight in Vietnam were true patriots.

I know you don't believe it, but I believe we're on the same page. I do believe it takes a patriot to join voluntarily in peacetime too. This will be my last attempt to clarify what I'm saying; :)

"...A Volunteer military or All volunteer military (AVM) is one which derives its manpower from volunteers or as a voluntary occupation, rather than conscription or mandatory service. A country may offer attractive pay and benefits through military recruitment to attract potential recruits. Many countries with volunteer militaries reserve the right to renew conscription in the event of an emergency..."

I wasn't arguing, just finishing the sentence :cool:

As for pay, is that what they call it? I did not really make a living until I made Buck Sargent and when I made Staff I was finally able to breath. I was lucky and made rank quick, in Combat Arms you tend to, for good reason. But I saw way too many of my troops having to make ends meet by taking assistance, that is just F'ing WRONG. Sorry, you hit a tender spot there...
Anyway, good thread, Brother.

Yeah, that just ain't right...

Just curious, any idea of the average time it takes to reach Staff Sergeant?

Yeah, that just ain't right...

Just curious, any idea of the average time it takes to reach Staff Sergeant?
For me it was six years on the money. I was being offered Warrant Officer School at the same time with a guarantee of W3 within 1 year, and the offer was genuine, since two of us were offered and I was there when he returned and he was already a W2 and being recommended for advancement to W3, it had to do with our MOS and our experience, Nukes.

Wow, a national holiday, everyone gets the day off to celebrate Veterans Day and not one self-claimed conservative has the time for a tip of the hat. It's hard to believe they've latched onto Trump's disgusting and disrespectful view of our military/veterans. I believe by far, the vast majority of conservatives do appreciate our military, are celebrating with them today and hold them in the highest regard...

I wasn't arguing, just finishing the sentence :cool:

As for pay, is that what they call it? I did not really make a living until I made Buck Sargent and when I made Staff I was finally able to breath. I was lucky and made rank quick, in Combat Arms you tend to, for good reason. But I saw way too many of my troops having to make ends meet by taking assistance, that is just F'ing WRONG. Sorry, you hit a tender spot there...
Anyway, good thread, Brother.

In '82 I was a Pvt E-1 living in an off-post trailer park with a wife and kid. It wasn't easy. A couple civilians I worked with (retired Army) kind of took me under their wing and would throw me odd jobs on the weekends occasionally or even just have us over for weekend barbeques. Once, one of them gave me three tickets to the Shriner Circus which was a windfall. There simply wasn't money in the budget for stuff like that. I would say that E-4 was when things started looking up for us. We had some disposable income for recreation and were able to sell our old beater and get a decent car. I made E-5 with two years time in service, and that would have helped even more if we hadn't decided to have another kid right about then. So it kind of evened out. :)

Wow, a national holiday, everyone gets the day off to celebrate Veterans Day and not one self-claimed conservative has the time for a tip of the hat.

SoCal, I guess I might need to add it to my name thing, but I am a traditional conservative. I always say "traditional" because I'm more like Reagan and Bush than Trump. That might also explain why I sometimes side with my liberal friends here.

Well, Biden did say our active duty service members are "slow dull stupid bastards" on video.

C'mon, Joko--I've seen that video, and he was speaking to a crowd of military people and was using "Patton"-style phrases that the audience loved and cheered. Calling them the "b" word got the loudest cheer and he was afterward given a standing ovation. I'm just trying to be fair.

Well, Biden did say our active duty service members are "slow dull stupid bastards" on video.
Why do you have to hijack people's threads with your disinformation and false narratives?

dis·in·gen·u·ous
adjective
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

You caught him, he's just as disrespectful of our soldiers as Trump. :rolleyes:

Do you believe Trump was joking when he called our fallen soldiers, "losers and "suckers'? Does Trump joke? I haven't heard one conservative condemn him for it, have you? Do you really need to be a liberal to be disgusted by his comments? Do you believe Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly shouldn't be disgusted? Do you believe our soldiers are suckers and losers, or is your spine as supple as Lindsey Graham's and just can't work up enough courage to tell everyone Trump is an asshole for believing and saying it?

Back
Top Bottom